Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,420 members, 7,815,950 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:54 PM

Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products (18323 Views)

20 Reasons Why You Should Patronize Made In Nigeria Products / Jumia Nigeria Is Launching Jumia Local To Sell Made-in-nigeria Products / Nigeria To China, Reduce Tariffs On Nigeria’s Products (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by djyoungmoney(m): 1:07am On Aug 15, 2016
There as been recent calls by the Government and concerned Nigerians calling on Nigerians to Buy Goods made in Nigeria so as to make the Naira Stronger.The fact still remains that Nigerians prefer to buy Foreign goods instead of Nigerian Made.Here are some of the reason why Nigerians have refused to buy Made in Nigeria Products

Discrimination
Sometimes we are our own problems. Most people see goods made in Nigeria as inferior and not up to standard to goods made in other country and as a result decide not buy Made in Nigeria Products . For those who are willing to purchase this made in Nigeria goods, get discriminated for example with sayings like ‘’Na Aba made the guy dey wear’’ and as a result of this stop buying made in Nigeria goods to avoid the embarrassment of wearing ‘Aba made’

Quality
No one will ever want to buy a product that is of low quality. Most made in Nigeria products are of low quality either as a result of the producers trying to make bigger profit or over management of resources. For instance you cannot expect a Nigerian to purchase a bag of rice which half of it is filled with stones and other dirt rather the Nigeria will prefer to purchase a bag of rice that is produced elsewhere and stone free.

Poor Advertisement/Awareness
Advertisement is king. Most Nigeria producers and manufacturers always fail to recognize the importance of advertising, how would a Nigerian know there are products produced in Nigeria, that satisfy their needs when the proper Advertisement is not done to bring the existence of such product to their notice. Since there is no awareness concerning such product, they will buy goods made outside Nigeria which proper form of advertisement and awareness is available for.

Price
Nigerian producers and manufactures are to be blamed for this. Sometimes they t want to make quick money or super normal profit and in the process increase the prices of their goods to the level of ones produced in other countries. Why will a Nigerian want to buy a good ‘X’ produced in Nigeria whose price is more than that which is produced outside Nigeria. Goods produced within the country should be cheaper and not outrageously high.

Poor After sales Services

If you purchase a Toyota Car today, be rest assured that there are many authorized outlets such as Elizade Motors where you can service or maintain your Toyota car in most parts of Nigeria. If for example you purchase an innoson vehicle which is produced in Nigeria but doesn’t have authorized servicing outlets where you can service or maintain the vehicle, you will definitely be discouraged to buy the innoson car produced in Nigeria and rather opt for the Toyota vehicles instead.

Feel Free to Add your views

Source:http://www.gistquaters.com/2016/08/why-nigerians-dont-patronize-made-in.html

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by Kruzilano(m): 1:48am On Aug 15, 2016
Tribalism: D south westerners be like "mio le ra nkan lati owor omo ibo"i cant patronize igbos..... same applies to d igbos..

Mentality: there is d weird mentality amongst many, that once ur handbag is gucci, wears.. LV. Then u ahead of ur goons.. For tha reason they even prefer settling for d fake in as much as "versace" is written on it..

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by Nobody: 2:41am On Aug 15, 2016
You don't have to beg them to buy it na, $ will soon be 1000, everyone go answer him papa name.

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by richez25(m): 2:47am On Aug 15, 2016
!!!!!!

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by Nobody: 5:44am On Aug 15, 2016
See, the answer is just quality. Our manufacturers focus on market exploitation instead of quality service delivery. Before people started importing rice back in the day, you know how our local rice used to be? Before people started buying italian shoes, did you buy/wear Aba made shoes? Who would spend their hard earned money on some sub-standard product just in the name of patriotism?

I'm happy they are sitting up now. Nigerians want to buy our stuff. I want to buy our stuff. But they just don't make things easy for us. Even used (okirika) clothes last more than our locally made materials. So who is fooling who?

I read a story about whogohost yesterday and my heart bled. This is 2016 and we're still not able to have a hosting company that goes out of its way to protect clients' data. A lot of Nigerians like me use whogohost, but would you like to lose years of hardwork just because you patronized a local company that is grossly incompetent?

The competition is good to let our local manufacturers sit up. They have to know we are ready to buy from them but they have to do their homework first.

God bless Nigeria

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by Toluwani113: 6:40am On Aug 15, 2016
shocked
hen you see Naija products, RUN FOR YOUR LIFEEEE
grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by DICKtator: 6:40am On Aug 15, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by Iscoalarcon: 6:40am On Aug 15, 2016
@ op I disagree with that your number 2 in both the foreign and local market, there are qualitative and fake goods you just have to check well before buying anything. For instance about the issue of Rice alot of states like Anambra,Kebbi,Niger,Gombe,Ebonyi and Kano produce stone free rice which in my opinion is better than the one we import outside the country

#teambuy9jatomakethenairastronger
#proudlyNigerian

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by clydedaniels(m): 6:41am On Aug 15, 2016
Hunger dey lipsrsealed
Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by eleojo23: 6:41am On Aug 15, 2016
The reason is because we see buying things from overseas as a sign of class - to show that we have joined the league of big boys/girls.

Who wants to buy made in Nigeria goods?
Abi you wan be local champion?

Imagine you wearing made in Nigeria watch when Dubai dey. O boy you no try o!
Order the thing from Dubai joor!

This is our problem.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by Taryur3(m): 6:42am On Aug 15, 2016
We lack trust in our own making.we manipulate alot without carrying out the exact things we ought to do.for real...the only Nigeria product I trust is broom and I will still bend it to see if it will all break

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by KangaIye: 6:45am On Aug 15, 2016
Because they are not readily available to buy in market. Most products you see in markets are made in China.
Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by zakson4real(m): 6:45am On Aug 15, 2016
Stupidity is when you stay in sabon gari Market Kano or Alaba Market Lagos, and you are still shouting Biafra or death; my friend better examine your IQ.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by brownjulie(f): 6:45am On Aug 15, 2016
Too many fake products in nigeria..... you don't know which is real or fake...to avoid story that touches...better to but imported

Na when I see fake Coca-Cola I no say nigeria no get hope

5 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by Efewestern: 6:45am On Aug 15, 2016
delivite:
See, the answer is just quality. Our manufacturers focus on market exploitation instead of quality service delivery. Before people started importing rice back in the day, you know how our local rice used to be? Before people started buying italian shoes, did you buy/wear Aba made shoes? Who would spend their hard earned money on some sub-standard product just in the name of patriotism?

I'm happy they are sitting up now. Nigerians want to buy our stuff. I want to buy our stuff. But they just don't make things easy for us. Even used (okirika) clothes last more than our locally made materials. So who is fooling who?

I read a story about whogohost yesterday and my heart bled. This is 2016 and we're still not able to have a hosting company that goes out of its way to protect clients' data. A lot of Nigerians like me use whogohost, but would you like to lose years of hardwork just because you patronized a local company that is grossly incompetent?

The competition is good to let our local manufacturers sit up. They have to know we are ready to buy from them but they have to do their homework first.

God bless Nigeria

That was how my blog got deleted by Smartweb , I contacted them and they gave me silly excuses, All my hardwork, menh i almost ran mad, To God be the Glory i got a Backup of My Database somewhere But i lost all my Files, So i quickly restored it, Moved to Hostgator.. Even if its expensive believe me bro, I'd rather Spend Millions and Have rest of mind Than Spend Kobo All in the name of patriotism & wake up one morning to see all ur Work gone .. Only Bloggers/ Webmaster/ Web Developers understand what this means.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by Sexytemi(f): 6:46am On Aug 15, 2016
Nigerians are scared to patronize made in Nigeria goods because we are scared of getting substandard goods.

And made in Nigerian goods have always been know or seen to be substandard(I stand to be corrected o)

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by boman2014: 6:47am On Aug 15, 2016
Good one

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by Opistorincos(m): 6:48am On Aug 15, 2016
Kruzilano:
Tribalism: D south westerners be like "mio le ra nkan lati owor omo ibo"i cant patronize igbos..... same applies to d igbos..

Mentality: there is d weird mentality amongst many, that once ur handbag is gucci, wears.. LV. Then u ahead of ur goons.. For tha reason they even prefer settling for d fake in as much as "versace" is written on it..

Bro you're dead wrong, I, my family members and close pals patronize our ibo brothers not because we're too broke to buy the imported materials but because we know one day our own brothers too will get there. So change your notion about the whole situation. Have a blessed day.

5 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by koxi: 6:48am On Aug 15, 2016
How will they be encouraged to buy when the ones we've seen are a total disappointment?
Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by Sweetcollins: 6:51am On Aug 15, 2016
We need to add quality in whatever we produce

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by israelboy1(m): 6:52am On Aug 15, 2016
Hnmmmm

I agree with the poor service after sales...cos..some people see it as a waste of time....

ONCE YOU HAVE IT, WE HAVE NO DEAL AGAIN
Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by johnstar(m): 6:53am On Aug 15, 2016
Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by imocheezy(m): 6:54am On Aug 15, 2016
Check out the blog that gives out free advertising on my signature
Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by tdayof(m): 6:54am On Aug 15, 2016
Our leaders dont even invest and support Nigerians so why the complain?
To you all saying quality, I do not agree with that. The government doesn't see things the way we all see it. The government herself considers made in Nigeria products or things with Nigerian heritage to be inferior .

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by WilliamsChelster(m): 6:54am On Aug 15, 2016
Wetin concern me...Who Nigeria epp angry

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by Innodon(m): 6:58am On Aug 15, 2016
Ok
Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by joseph1832(m): 6:59am On Aug 15, 2016
Sexytemi:
Nigerians are scared to patronize made in Nigeria goods because we are scared of getting substandard goods.

And made in Nigerian goods have always been know or seen to be substandard(I stand to be corrected o)
You're too pretty to be corrected. grin
Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by Achorise: 6:59am On Aug 15, 2016
our problem is just Pride.

Thinking if its not a designer, you won't be respected
If it's not very expensive, they won't know I have arrived.

yet our brains are empty.
mostly some girl's,
some politicians
some Yahoo boys
some entertainers

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by Nobody: 6:59am On Aug 15, 2016
All true , just like government has refused to patronise innoson motors for obvious reasons other Nigerians too wouldnt be encouraged to patronise them.
Shebi our first lady is an avid lover of helmes bags and presido an avid lover of italiano shoes, later someone would come and be lip syncing "buy naija to grow the naira ".
If our leaders were all like Ifayose who gives million naira contracts to local artisans, a dollar would have been 50kobo by now

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by BE811APP: 7:01am On Aug 15, 2016
Discrimination... Thats why Dollar dey Show us shege now... angry

I blame our leaders past too... Bcuz dey could have insisted on promoting local content...

Now that things don spoil finish... Damage control cant help!!!

Imagine importing tooth pick and matches shocked lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by donbenedict(m): 7:02am On Aug 15, 2016
Just as John D Rockefeller made a significant mark in the oil and gas industry in his years, so that is how someone needs to go extra mile to position him/herself in the centre of the Nigerian manufacturing industry to produce quality goods at lowest prices.

Leme see if Nigerians will not make him the most richest man in Africa.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Don't Patronize Made In Nigeria Products by Nobody: 7:02am On Aug 15, 2016
Kruzilano:

Don't start early this morning with ur tribal cards. If a footwear or textile print finds its way to Aswani or Idumota market in Lagos, do they label it made in Aba or made in Kano? Isn't it made in Nigeria that is written on the label?
Anyways those tribalists are just being clever by half, why don't they also reject eating foods that come from the east or west or north.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where can i get Rice Processing Equipment in Nigeria / New Forex Policy: NSE Gains N354bn, Naira Stable / How Do I Prevent Loan Apps Like Sokoloan From Calling My Contacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.