Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

Check These Grammatical Constructions - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Check These Grammatical Constructions (630 Views)

20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making / N-Power Admin Responds To Grammatical Error Of Graduate Of English On Their Page / 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Check These Grammatical Constructions by Nobody: 5:29am On Aug 15, 2016
I thought you said you knew who I WAS, Or I thought you said you knew who I AM (note the person hasn't known anything about me yet) which one is correct please
Re: Check These Grammatical Constructions by Venusman(m): 5:56am On Aug 15, 2016
I thought you said you knew who I AM. this is correct, cos u r still alive not dead. was isn't correct
Re: Check These Grammatical Constructions by youngest85(m): 6:15am On Aug 15, 2016
I thought u said u know who i am
Re: Check These Grammatical Constructions by chukxie(m): 7:06am On Aug 15, 2016
" I thought you said you knew who I was" is correct.

A: Do you know me?
B: I'm sorry, I don't.
A: I thought you said you knew who I was.

Note: In a sentence like this, the verb 'be' (is/am/are) at the end of the sentence takes the past tense form where 'is/am' = was, and 'are' = were.

This sentence has the same structure as an indirect speech. In English there's something called 'Direct and Indirect Speech. Let's look at the following examples:

Direct speech -- Indirect speech

What's your name? He asked me what my name was.
Where is your mom? He asked me where my mom was.
Do you know me? I asked him if he knew who I was.
Re: Check These Grammatical Constructions by Nobody: 7:10am On Aug 15, 2016
thanks so much, I don't even know to say again, thanks thanks
Re: Check These Grammatical Constructions by Tobitrueman(m): 9:42am On Aug 15, 2016
youngest85:
I thought u said u know who i am
Re: Check These Grammatical Constructions by chukxie(m): 12:02am On Aug 16, 2016
[quote author=Tobitrueman post=48495078][/quote]

Hmm!

(1) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan 2016 Admission / 5 Ways New Jamb Registrar Has Promises To Change Jamb / Inspiring! A Young Nigerian Boy Passes His WAEC Exams With All ‘A’ Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.