Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,067 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

A Job Seeker's Guide - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Job Seeker's Guide (468 Views)

Job Seeker Turns Entrepreneur... If You Wait!!! You Waste / Diary Of A Jobless But Not Hopeless Job Seeker / What Job Seeker Needs To Learn From Jobberman Recent Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Job Seeker's Guide by angelawoko(m): 2:02pm On Aug 15, 2016
Over the next few days I will be uploading files I have gone through during the time I was searching for job. I will be uploading only those that I consider to have been helpful in my search and which I believe will also be helpful to you.

If you think it was helpful please leave a comment

WRITING EFFECTIVE COVER LETTERS

In addition to resumes or CVs, employers will often ask applicants to include a cover letter or job application letter. A cover letter is a critical piece of writing that will give you the chance to better describe your skills and directly address your potential employer.

This Guide will help you to:
• Identify when cover letters are necessary
• Start writing using effective strategies
• Format and edit your drafts
• Revise and troubleshoot
• Submit your cover letter

This guide will also provide you a checklist so that you can ensure that you have covered all the necessary areas for your cover letter.

The main purposes of a cover letter are to:
• Expand upon the information in your resume and show how your skills coincide with the job description and the needs and values of an organization
• Introduce you to an employer and demonstrate your personality on paper
• Demonstrate your written communication skills and attention to detail
• Provide your contact information and demonstrate your eagerness to speak with the employer in the future
• Do all of the above in a concise and effective manner

Frequently Asked Questions about Cover Letters

Why do I need to write a cover letter?
A good cover letter can be the difference that gets you an interview for an internship or job. Effective writing skills are highly valued and, no matter what your major is, an applicant who can write concisely and powerfully will stand out over other job seekers.

Do I always need a cover letter?
Yes. Even if a job description does not specifically call for a cover letter, you will do yourself a disservice by not submitting a cover letter in addition to your resume or CV.

Can a cover letter be longer than one page?
As a general rule, cover letters should be no longer than one page, even with normal formatting. If you find it absolutely necessary, you may use smaller margins while formatting to fit more content on 1 page. Keep your letter between 300 and 400 words, and remember that typical recruiters review job applications in less than 10 seconds. Make sure your writing captures and sustains their attention.

What if I can’t write?

Because of your liberal arts background with Macalester, you have been or will be required to take at least one writing course. Good writing skills, whether they be creatively or academically developed, can be easily translated to creating a good cover letter. If you are someone who does not enjoy writing, don’t worry. The following section provides tips to make writing your cover letter as easy as possible.

Starting From Scratch

Please note: The best cover letter you can write will be tailored to the specific position to which you are applying. While parts of your cover letter may be applicable to several different jobs or internships, always make sure that you create a new cover letter for each position.

Organize your thoughts before writing and determine the points on your resume that you wish to highlight. Like an academic paper, a cover letter should be laid out in a clear and logical manner. Each section should have a specific purpose.

Do not expect a perfect draft the first time you write a cover letter. In fact, you should go through multiple drafts while writing to ensure that you eliminate confusing phrases, misspelled words, bad grammar, etc.
Write Your First Draft

1. Write several opening sentences that you think may catch your reader’s attention and select your favorite.

2. Identify key words or goals in the job or organization description and cite them in reference to your own skills. For instance, if a job description says, “Looking for a highly motivated, customeroriented individual to work full-time at our customer service desk,” you should choose an example from your own work/education experience that proves you have these skills. Then, turn your experiences into rough sentences.

3. Think about not only what the job requires, but some transferrable/unique skills that you can bring to the job. Try to answer the question, “How can I help the organization?” Some transferable skills include:
a. Leadership qualities
b. Ability to multi-task
c. Teamwork skills
d. Ability to meet deadlines
e. Interpersonal skills
f. Ability to work independently
g. Written communication skills
h. Verbal communication skills
i. Computer skills

4. Do not simply restate your resume. Employers have already read your resume. What can you offer them that is new? What are skills that you have that your resume does not do justice?

5. Write a “Fast Draft.” This is just what it sounds like: get a pen and paper or sit down with your laptop and try to write your cover letter as quickly as you can. Aim for less than ten minutes. If you make an error, skip it. Use the rough sentences you wrote in step two and cobble together a few paragraphs. The goal of a “Fast Draft” is not to have a perfect cover letter by any means. It is a way to get all your thoughts down on paper and to feel more comfortable with writing. While you will not want to use this as your final cover letter, parts of it may be worth using and editing to put in your final draft.

6. EDIT AND PROOFREAD the content that you have, then view the “Outline” section to see how your letter should come together.

Outline:
The essential parts of a cover letter

1. Heading
2. Introduction
3. Argument
4. Closing

(1) (Reply)

Who Also Got This Message? / Help Am Desperately In Need Of A Job / Vacancy For Field Sales Officers In A Lagos Tyre Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.