Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,068 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig (865 Views)

Forgery: Ekweremadu Fails In Bid To Stop Judgment / Akpabio Suffers Setback In Bid To Retain Senate Seat / APC Fails In Bid To Change House Leadership (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by Eagle1(m): 10:12am On Sep 26, 2009
Ibori: Ribadu sought my help in bid to become I-G

* By AUGUSTINE AVWODE,
* Published Today
* News
* Rating: ratingfullratingfullratingfullratingfullratingempty Unrated

Ibori

Former Delta State governor, James Onanefe Ibori, currently facing allegations of money laundering and corrupt practices by the London Metropolitan Police (MET) has declared that former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu severally sought his help in his frantic bid to become the Inspector General of Police (IGP) of the country.

Speaking for the first time since he left office two years and four months ago to a select group of journalists in Lagos on Friday, Ibori not only vehemently denied all charges of corruption levelled against him, he pointedly accused former President Olusegun Obasanjo and Ribadu of being behind his ordeals since he left office.

In his words: "I can say without any fear of contradiction that I have and hope I still have a good relationship with the erstwhile chairman of the EFCC even though he now denies that he is a friend… Many times, he tried to get me to assist him in one way or the other, including his desire to become the Inspector General of Police. In his approach, he posited that in his estimation and knowledge of Nigerian politics, I was one of those who could help him achieve it," he stated.

He claimed that Ribadu attempted to recruit him to join his crusade to annul the 2007 Presidential Election promising that if he did, "he would not file charges against me and would not prosecute me. I told him to give me time to reflect on it. But it would be stupid of me to have bought into his blackmail; so I ignored him. When he then realized that I was not succumbing to his cheap blackmail, he decided to go ahead with his plan of humiliating me."

Ibori traced the genesis of his ordeal to his staunch and uncompromising stance on a major electoral promise he made back in 1998 to the people of Delta State that he would champion the cause of redressing the injustice associated with resources derivable from their land.

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain said his unwavering commitment to resource control and practice of fiscal federalism culminated in his mobilization of all the lawmakers and governors of the South-South geo-political zone to demand for the payment of 13 per cent derivation as enshrined in the 1999 Constitution. His outspokenness which eventually forced the ex-president, Olusegun Obasanjo to pay the money however alienated him from the ex-president, he claimed.

Worsening his plight, he said, was his involvement in opposition to the second term bid of Obasanjo in 2003. "Around November 2002, 15 of the 21 governors from the PDP including me, had an ad hoc meeting at my lodge in Abuja to decide who should be nominated by the PDP Governors’ Committee for election as the presidential candidate for the 2003 Election. The committee decided almost unanimously to get a new candidate instead of President Olusegun Obasanjo."

Continuing, Ibori said: " Two days before the party convention, the governors had a breakfast meeting with President Obasanjo. I recall that at that meeting, the then Vice President, Alhaji Abubakar Atiku told the president in the presence of the governors that he was known to be very dictatorial, vindictive and unforgiving. The president appealed to the governors to support him and assured both the governors and the party leadership that if he was allowed to continue for the second term, he would adopt a more democratic approach."

Obasanjo was to vow after the election that: "he had learned that I had put forward the view that he was unsellable, unmarketable and unelectable, he then vowed that he was going to make sure that I was unsellable, unmarketable and unelectable."

The briefing which was supported with sundry documents also debunked the alleged $15 million bribe he allegedly offered the former EFCC boss. He described the allegation as unfounded claiming that Ribadu’s statements were contradictory.

On the Niger Delta, Ibori said he believed that the President Umaru Yar’Adua administration is on the right path in finding a permanent solution to the crisis in the region.

thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/19807/1/Ibori-Ribadu-sought-my-help-in-bid-to-become-I-G/Page1.html

This man and his stories sha. Must think we are as empty headed as he is.
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by 55gal(m): 11:30am On Sep 26, 2009
IBORI,HOPE U ARE NOT EXPECTING NIGERIANS TO BELIEVE U?
ARE U JUST KILLING TIME WITH THIS STORY?
SURELY GOD CAN NOT LIE,THERE IS NO PEACE FOR THE WICKED!
TIME WILL TELL OF UR FUTURE.
THE SMARTNESS OF MAN IS LIKE FOOLISHNESS BEFORE GOD.
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by chosen04(f): 3:25pm On Sep 26, 2009
Former Delta State governor, James Onanefe Ibori, currently facing allegations of money laundering and corrupt practices by the London Metropolitan Police (MET) has declared that former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu severally sought his help in his frantic bid to become the Inspector General of Police (IGP) of the country.

I thought Ibori once said Ribadu sought help to become the president. Am surprisesd he is now changing the story to read IG. Its obvious Ibori will definetely pay for his sins 1 day, not even withstanding how the AGF tries to frustrate all his trials both home and abroad.
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by Gayigaskia(m): 4:05pm On Sep 26, 2009
i thought Ribadu was Obasanjo Boy. Then why he will ask someone who was against Obasanjo's second term to lobby for him to become IG . If OBJ send Ribadu against his political enemies then why can't he chooses Ribadu as IG?
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by Pennywise(m): 5:29pm On Sep 26, 2009
This press conference suggests without doubt that the Ogidigboigbo and his team are in a panic mode.

It is a futile attempt engineered by Tony Eluemunor to counteract the ongoing media onslaught orchestrated by Nigerians in the diaspora. It is weak, feeble, uncordinated and lacks credibility. It will not influence the ongoing trial of his accomplices in any +ve way for the defence.

While Ibori is at his current media campaign someone should pls remind him to stay far away from the UK, Europe and the USA where Ribadu is getting royal treatment .
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by Beaf: 6:01pm On Sep 26, 2009
Pennywise:

This press conference suggests without doubt that the Ogidigboigbo and his team are in a panic mode.

It is a futile attempt engineered by Tony Eluemunor to counteract the ongoing media onslaught orchestrated by Nigerians in the diaspora. It is weak, feeble, uncordinated and lacks credibility. It will not influence the ongoing trial of his accomplices in any +ve way for the defence.

While Ibori is at his current media campaign someone should pls remind him to stay far away from the UK, Europe and the USA where Ribadu is getting royal treatment .

Ibori should even stay away from Seme, because guys dey wait.
More grease to Ribadu.
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by Afam(m): 6:31pm On Sep 26, 2009
Eagle1:

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain said his unwavering commitment to resource control and practice of fiscal federalism culminated in his mobilization of all the lawmakers and governors of the South-South geo-political zone to demand for the payment of 13 per cent derivation as enshrined in the 1999 Constitution. His outspokenness which eventually forced the ex-president, Olusegun Obasanjo to pay the money however alienated him from the ex-president, he claimed.

I hope he is not implying or insinuating that he had anything to do with the 13% derivation because it was Abacha who unilaterally increased it from 3% to 13% while he was the head of state.

The press conference sounds unbelievable and inconsistent.
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by Pennywise(m): 12:56pm On Sep 27, 2009
A statement released by Ribadu this morning from his London base has further exposed the vulnerabilities of Ibori and his team.

It was a deft upper cut and Ibori just sank deeper.Ribadu's response was precise and clinically delivered- nothing like the long, childish unbelievable tale Elemunor wrote for his master. Maybe this Harvard trained media aide needs a little more motivation.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/09/27/reasons-im-after-ibori-ribadu/
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by Jaybee2412(m): 1:33pm On Sep 27, 2009
Can you really believe all this lies being touted by this convicted felon? Nigeria is a strange place where somebody who should currently be doing a long term in a security prison has the gut to accuse one person who could be counted as one of the few patriotic nigerians of asking him for favours to become an IG. If you believe all his lies then you can believe everything under the sun. Click on the following links and see how much damage this man has done our dear country

http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=312&task=finish&cid=9&catid=4

http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=312&task=finish&cid=75&catid=3

http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=312&task=finish&cid=77&catid=4
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by Nobody: 1:48pm On Sep 27, 2009
Sounds to me Ibori just confirmed what we all thought which is he directly appointed the last Inspector General of Police Mike Okiro.

I think this is an embarrassment for the Government of Yar'adua because Ibori by this revelation is suggesting that contrary to what is recognised by law, it is not the President who makes these decisions but unseen forces like himself.
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by sleekp1: 7:29am On Sep 28, 2009
mikeansy:

Sounds to me Ibori just confirmed what we all thought which is he directly appointed the last Inspector General of Police Mike Okiro.

I think this is an embarrassment for the Government of Yar'adua because Ibori by this revelation is suggesting that contrary to what is recognised by law, it is not the President who makes these decisions but unseen forces like himself.

Great observation.
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by Depilot(m): 5:16pm On Sep 28, 2009
Not to support Ibori, but there is nothing wrong when a governor or any other government official recommends someone to the president to attain an open position. It happens all the time.
FYI 90% of all these decisions are not made by the president, but by the people that surround the president.

What is wrong is seeking the help of a corrupt governor in bidding for a federal government position.
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by Afam(m): 5:34pm On Sep 28, 2009
Depilot:

Not to support Ibori, but there is nothing wrong when a governor or any other government official recommends someone to the president to attain an open position. It happens all the time.

What open position? Did anyone tell you that the office of the Inspector General of the Police Force was open or vacant?
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by Depilot(m): 5:51pm On Sep 28, 2009
People should try to let go all this idol worshipping crap and for once take a good look at what is going on. it isn't difficult to see that these people are dirty and also linked to one another.
If you check the record and ask government officials in Abuja, you will know that Ribadu and Ibori were very good friends not to long ago.
I still wonder why the table turned all of a sudden.
What is the difference between Ibori and Odeli?
What is the difference between Ibori and Tunubu?

Yes, Ibori must pay or must be punished, but why is Ribadu so obsessed with Ibori's case?
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by Depilot(m): 5:53pm On Sep 28, 2009
What open position? Did anyone tell you that the office of the Inspector General of the Police Force was open or vacant?
Yes, at the time the position was open; I believe Ehindaro was about to retire.
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by Afam(m): 6:04pm On Sep 28, 2009
Depilot:

Yes, at the time the position was open; I believe Ehindaro was about to retire.

The position was open? Thanks for the misinformation. Enjoy the week.
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by Depilot(m): 6:20pm On Sep 28, 2009
The position was open? Thanks for the misinformation. Enjoy the week.
If I was wrong about the position being open, why don't you then ask why Ribadu was seeking for a position that wasn't open in the first place?

Enjoy the rest of the month.
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by Afam(m): 8:21pm On Sep 28, 2009
Depilot:

If I was wrong about the position being open, why don't you then ask why Ribadu was seeking for a position that wasn't open in the first place?

Enjoy the rest of the month.

I should ask who? You? Ribadu? Ibori?
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by ono(m): 9:23pm On Sep 28, 2009
Bad thing na bad thing. If Ibori is/was this evil, well, let the long arm of the law ''catch am'' - otherwise, he will be vindicated - just like we have all witnessed in the not too distant past, abi?
Re: Ibori: Ribadu Sought My Help In Bid To Become Ig by yeswecan(m): 9:45pm On Sep 28, 2009
Nonsense, Ibori probably thinks Nigerians are fools huh, He lied about the 13% oil derivation. What a cheap talk

(1) (Reply)

Boundary Adjustment To Form Part Of State Creation / Global Witness: Uk Aiding Corruption In Nigeria / Nigerian Rebels Warns Of "ferocious Attack"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.