Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,356 members, 7,868,033 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 09:25 AM

Can't We All Follow The Advice Of Fela's Classic In The 70s? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can't We All Follow The Advice Of Fela's Classic In The 70s? (576 Views)

Nothing Better Like A Fela Classic To Usher You Back To 1984 / Rare Photo Of Nigerian Soldiers In The 70s / Throwback Photo Of Buhari As A Tennis Player In The 70s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Can't We All Follow The Advice Of Fela's Classic In The 70s? by davodyguy: 2:09pm On Aug 15, 2016
I've listened to various fela's song and almost all(If not all) are very thoughtful and enjoyable, as well as pleasing to the hear and sould.

I do listen to VIVA Nigeria, but I've never paid much attention to the lyrics, until it was played on air yesterday on one of the Lagos based radio stations Nigeria Info 99.3 Fm. The presenter took the time and allowed the song play twice. At the end he said 'Yes Yes, That's what we need'.

I dug out the youtube video/Audio, as well as the lyrics, in order that some kids who weren't around between 1967-1970 and are in 2016 fanning war rhetoric, can understand the trouble they're inviting.

Let's take our time to analyze the lyrics and see if Fela was wrong with his choice of words.

War is not the answer
It has never been the answer
And it will never be the answer

Long Live NIGERIA, Viva Africa

This is brother Fela Ransome Kuti
This is one time I would like to say a few things
Men are born Kings are made
Treatys are signed Wars are fought

Every country has its own problems
So has Nigeria so has Africa

Let us bind our wounds and live together in peace
Nigeria, one nation indivisible
Long live Nigeria Viva Africa

The history of mankind
Is full of obvious turning points and significant events
Though tongue and tribe my differ We are all Nigerians
We are all Africans War is not the answer
It has never been the answer

fighting amongst each other
Let's live together in peace
Nigeria one Nation Indivisible

Let's eat together like we used to eat
Let's plan together like we used to plan
Sing together like we used to sing
Dance together like we used to dance
United we stand, divided we fall
You know what I mean

I hope you do
Let us bind our wounds and live together in peace
Nigeria one nation indivisible

Brothers and Sisters in Africa
Never should we learn to wage war against each other
Let Nigeria be a lesson to all
We have more to learn towards building then destroying
Our people can't afford any more sufferings
Let's join hands Africa
We have nothing to lose
But a lot to gain
War is not the answer
War has never been the answer
Fighting amongst each other
One nation indivisible
Long live Nigeria
Viva Africa

Can someone tell me why we can't follow the advice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia08eAsinCE
Re: Can't We All Follow The Advice Of Fela's Classic In The 70s? by emorse(m): 2:27pm On Aug 15, 2016
A lot of us are too dumb to understand this. Social media has made it even worse. People type before they think (that's if they even think at all).

The elites however, know this and will always pitch us against one another for their selfish gains. A classic example is the "wailers" vs "zombies". The puppeteer is in the comfort of his home (which the " foot soldiers" can never afford) pulling strings while the numbskulls fight on empty stomachs. Big shame on us all.
Re: Can't We All Follow The Advice Of Fela's Classic In The 70s? by seguno2: 8:12pm On Jan 06, 2017
War may not be the answer.
However war is oftentimes the question that provokes the answer of peace.
That is why someone said that- those who make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

(1) (Reply)

Ben Ayade Suspends Water Resources Commissioner, Others Over Lateness / PHOTOS: Buhari Hosts Abdulsalam Abubakar / Rodents And Weeds Takes Over Pdp Secretariat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.