Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

Why I Do Not Want The Nigeria Dream Team To Win Gold At The Rio Olympics - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why I Do Not Want The Nigeria Dream Team To Win Gold At The Rio Olympics (787 Views)

Siasia Backs Dream Team Boycott Of Quarter-Final Against Denmark / Dalung Apologises To Nigeria Dream Team VI In Their Dressing Room (Video) / Nigeria's Dream Team: Match Schedule (Rio 2016 Olympics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Do Not Want The Nigeria Dream Team To Win Gold At The Rio Olympics by nortcentrallord(m): 8:43am On Aug 17, 2016
Why I Do Not Want The Dream Team To Win Gold”

I really do not want the Nigerian Dream Team to win Gold or even Silver or Bronze. Here’s why …

Despite the Government stranding them at the airport, not paying their salaries or allowances for over 5 months, embarrassing them at their hotel and basically disrespecting them at every opportunity, like when Sport Minister said:

“What are there for? Because they are U-23 and they went to US and they are having problems, does that become our business?”

Despite all this rubbish, Nigeria might still (especially with their victory over Denmark) be able to win GOLD in the Men’s Olympic Soccer.

The problem with all this … is that if the dream team somehow actually manages to do that (win GOLD), that Nigerians will somehow ascribe it to our fighting spirit. You know that our inner talent to progress despite the bullshit stacked against us by an incompetent Government … that fighting spirit that allows us progress even with NEPA and bad roads?

That fighting spirit is basically the reason why I reluctantly don’t want them to win.

Because a victory especially a GOLD medal victory reinforces the notion that our Government can do rubbish, say rubbish, basically be an obstacle to anything progress and somehow expect GOLDEN performances from her citizens because of our “fighting spirit.”

Just like real life Nigeria, where our Educational system is churning out shitty students but are expecting Golden Innovations, where our civil servants are paid shitty salaries (that’s if they are even paid at all) but are expected to be top notch GOLD medal performers at work, where our Sport Facilities are non-existent but yet we are expecting Golden performances from our athletes!

It’s a shitty cycle of planting bullshit and expecting GOLD to grow.

But I do wish them luck to be honest. If they win I will be proud and very happy … but I worry that their victory will make the government continue with their epic level of ineptitude … that victory will validate Government bullshit.

I mean can you imagine what Nigerian could achieve if we had a Sport Ministry that was awake to their responsibilities, that treated our athletes like Germany or the United States does her athletes.

Do you know how much harder our teams, players will fight to make the country proud and how many GOLD medals we could win? Do you know how many athletes will stop running for other countries?

Sadly, we might never know … especially if the Dream Team manages to win in Rio. That’s why I do not want the Nigerian dream team to win GOLD at the RIO Olympics!

Source:http://www.ofilispeaks.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Do Not Want The Nigeria Dream Team To Win Gold At The Rio Olympics by Ejomax77(m): 9:40am On Aug 17, 2016
you're right bro
Re: Why I Do Not Want The Nigeria Dream Team To Win Gold At The Rio Olympics by rayblast(m): 11:42am On Aug 17, 2016
u must b a Ghanian
Re: Why I Do Not Want The Nigeria Dream Team To Win Gold At The Rio Olympics by kellycute(m): 2:11pm On Aug 17, 2016
Exactly. Real ghanaian. You must be john.

(1) (Reply)

League Cup 3rd Round Draw: / Messi Reveals Why He Dyed His Hair / Top 5 African Deadliest Striker In Europe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.