Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,130 members, 7,818,388 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:08 PM

Students, Don't Waste Your Parents' Money In School In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students, Don't Waste Your Parents' Money In School In Nigeria (929 Views)

18-Year-Old Boy Suspended After Proposing To His Teen Girlfriend In School In SA / New Waste Bins Used In LASU (Photos) / As An Undergraduate How Much Do You Receive From Your Parents Monthly? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Students, Don't Waste Your Parents' Money In School In Nigeria by Interesting15: 5:15pm On Aug 17, 2016
written by Sunday Moshood
first published on www.graduatewell.com.ng

In Nigeria, parents go through a lot to send their children to school. Most parents deny themselves of a lot of things just to ensure their child becomes a graduate.

We've seen and heard about parents who borrow money around just to make sure their child remains in school (and some even go to the extent of selling their properties too).

How about upper class parents in Nigeria?

Most of them spend thousandths of naira per semester to give their children the best education, by sending them to the best private universities in the country.

Unfortunately, it seems many Nigerian students aren't considering (or I should say 'pitying') their parents.

The reason why I said that isn't far-fetched:

They are not minding the main reason for which their parents sent them to school.

In higher institutions today, we see too many students who see the freedom they have got as a perfect opportunity to do different 'funny' things. They do things they ordinarily can't do at home.

Many students rarely attend lectures. We've heard of female students who walked out of campus to spend days in the house of a guy (while her parents at home will be thinking “our daughter is in school learning”).

How about guys who go clubbing all night long, despite the fact that there is a test the following morning.

What are they doing?

They are only wasting their parents’ money!!

How not to waste your parents’ money in school

I can list lots of points for you. But to save your time, let me compress my advice into these two headings:

#1. Face the main reason you are in school

The main reason you are in school is to STUDY.

I know you aren't in school to learn academic stuff alone. Tertiary institutions are designed in such a way that a student can learn things and skills that aren't found inside textbooks.

For instance, you as a student is expected to learn interpersonal skills (from your dealings with people in school) which you might not see in a textbook. Therefore, there is nothing wrong if you join school associations and get involved in departmental and faculty activities.

Nevertheless, the truth remains that, the primary reason your parents sent you to school is to study. Yes, to 'know your books' (I.e. graduate with flying colors and be a genius in the course you studied so you can use the acquired knowledge to be a successful person in life, so you can take care of them in their old age and they can be proud of you).

Therefore, anything whatsoever that is taking your attention and hindering you from 'Knowing Your Book' and making your grades drop (be it certain associations you are in, school politics, clubbing and partying, etc.) kindly ignore them.

#2. Don’t keep unproductive friends

No man is an island, and you need to flow with people. In fact, I read the welcoming address of new students on the website of a popular Nigerian university, and the V.C said something like:

"Our students aren't here to learn alone, they are here to make friends and have contacts that would be useful to them in the future".

I agreed with that.

Many of your co-students today will turn out to be really useful and helpful to you in the future, after graduating. NEVERTHELESS, you shouldn't lose touch with reality by having friends that will destroy you even before getting to the future.

If the only place you do go with your friend every time is parties, clubs, homes of the opposite gender, then you need to be wary of such friends. Such friends will only make you waste your parents’ money while in school.
In conclusion

Always keep close to your heart the struggles your parents go through just to send you to school. Then, let those thoughts always influence you towards the path of engaging in productive activities that will make them eat the fruits of their labor over you.

Thanks for reading.

Due Credit

This issue was written by Sunday Moshood. A young Nigerian writer who writes on different topics. He presently lives in Lagos, Nigeria.

http://graduatewell.com.ng/advice/students-dont-waste-your-parents-money-in-school
Re: Students, Don't Waste Your Parents' Money In School In Nigeria by Interesting15: 5:15pm On Aug 17, 2016
mods, come
Re: Students, Don't Waste Your Parents' Money In School In Nigeria by Justnice11: 5:37pm On Aug 17, 2016
k

(1) (Reply)

10 Everyday Activities That Were Once Absolutely Terrifying (MUST READ) / BSU Medical Student, Victor Egbe Slumps, Dies After Praying For Sick Patient / PHOTO'S:- Different Types Of Pobia's And There Meanings.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.