Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,309 members, 7,822,537 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq (5015 Views)

Poll: After reading this report, do you support spanking?

No: 42% (19 votes)
Yes: 57% (26 votes)
This poll has ended

Graphic Photos: Man Bites Off Another Man's Lower Lip Over Woman In Delta State / Best Way To Discipline A Child Without Spanking / Spanking Your Child In Public (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by ritaNL: 11:03pm On Sep 27, 2009
.Does this change your mind about spanking? Spanking can lower your child's IQ

Forget everything else you've ever read about spanking. All the arguments about how ineffective it is or how it can damage the relationship between you and your child, all the other arguments against spanking you've heard 10,000 times before. Perhaps this brand new research, showing that spanking can lower your child's IQ, will change your mind about spanking once and for all.

Professor Murray Straus of the University of New Hampshire has discovered that the traumatizing effects of spanking have a spillover effect on IQ. Specifically, children who were spanked had lower IQs than children who were not spanked. Straus is presenting the results of his research at the 14th International Conference on Violence, Abuse, and Trauma, in San Diego, California, today.

To conduct his research, Straus followed children in two different age groups (ages two to four and ages five to nine). He looked at children who were being spanked and children who were not being spanked. He then followed up to see how all of the children were doing four years later, so that he could investigate any differences between being spanking versus not being spanking.

Here's what he found:

The IQ scores of children ages two to four who were spanked were 5 points lower four years later than children who were not spanked.
The IQ scores of children ages five to nine who were spanked were 2.8 points lower four years later than children who were not spanked.
How often parents spanked their children also made a difference in how well the children were doing. Children who were spanked frequently were developing more slowly than children who were spanked less frequently. Even occasional spankings had a measurable impact on child development.
According to Straus, being spanked is extremely stressful and can become a chronic source of stress for young children. They may experience post-traumatic stress symptoms such as being afraid that terrible things are about to happen and being easily startled. These symptoms are associated with lower IQ.

Straus' findings are already attracting considerable online buzz and the study is likely to be cited in future by the most respected global health and child protection authorities. The United Nations has urged all member states to pass laws making violence against children, including corporal punishment, illegal. Many have done so, but Canada has not.

http://www.modernmedicine.com/modernmedicine/Modern+Medicine+Now/ICVAT-Spanking-Associated-With-Lower-IQ-in-Childre/ArticleNewsFeed/Article/detail/629419?contextCategoryId=40137

So what's your take?
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by trekkie: 11:21pm On Sep 27, 2009
arrant nonsense
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by ritaNL: 11:28pm On Sep 27, 2009
trekkie:

arrant nonsense

wetin be arrant and the nonsense ? se na me talk am ? no be oyinbo ppl .Abeg this thread na for those wey get pikin for obodo oyinbo no be pako like u. grin
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by Dclique(m): 12:03am On Sep 28, 2009
Lol,
Some points stated there are true.
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by trekkie: 12:41am On Sep 28, 2009
how come the negative effects of not spanking were not listed or the children who were not spanked all turned out to be perfect little angels? harldy objective
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by ritaNL: 1:18am On Sep 28, 2009
@ terrike

I know ur kids are not pako but you,you,you . . . . you are pure pako like moi. undecided
I dont agree with all these studies myself, if spankin were to make kids IQ lower, What about all those tough beating by teachers and those wicked punishments in Nigeria high schools? we still have the intelligent ones among us despite all those beatings.
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by trekkie: 2:01am On Sep 28, 2009
supported. i attended a millitary school and those soldiers take boot and koboko repair my life.
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by Ifeniyi22(m): 1:46pm On Sep 28, 2009
@trekkie
I agree.All this studies grin grin grin grin
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by Virgo83(m): 1:49pm On Sep 28, 2009
@ Poster
You made good points here.
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by ugonna245(m): 1:57pm On Sep 28, 2009
Dclique:

Lol,
Some points stated there are true.

What truth do you see here? That you shd leave your children to run wild? I guess you do not have any yet cos if you do you would have noticed that children will test what limit they can go with you, and if there are no checks and balances they tend to run wild.

What we should be asking here is what is spanking and what is abuse? That my son misbehaves and I beat him is different from I go out get drunk and come back and start beating my son for no reason whatsoever. The problem is that white people have not been able to differentiate between correction and abuse.

If not how come there is an increase in social vices amongst minors. I guess there were over-loved grin.[quote][/quote]
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by youngies(m): 1:57pm On Sep 28, 2009
Spare the ROD and spoil the child
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by agabaI23(m): 1:59pm On Sep 28, 2009
rita@NL:

@ terrike

I know your kids are not pako but you,you,you . . . . you are pure pako like moi. undecided
I dont agree with all these studies myself, if spankin were to make kids IQ lower, What about all those tough beating by teachers and those wicked punishments in Nigeria high schools? we still have the intelligent ones among us despite all those beatings.

Well it depends on the age os spanking according to the result shown.

The impact is more pronouced at tender age between 2 and 4 than later. What I do not know is if this result was significantly difference after being subjected to statistical analysis or the guy was excited that he could are less about stat.

What about Einstein and co who grew up being spanked. His IQ of above 150 was probably not affected. Laws against spanking was not always there in Europe.
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by rooney86(m): 2:25pm On Sep 28, 2009
i got spanked & i think that's why i'm on weed!
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by proproman(m): 2:27pm On Sep 28, 2009
Well, i got the thrashing of my existence in secondary school from jss1 right up to ss2 (I wasn't that stubborn o! Just nasty teachers!). I'm mentally ok and morally ok because of some of those "corrections" as the teachers called it. Still am against spanking at early ages like 2-5. But when i have kids, my cane will be at my beck and call anytime, even if we dey yankee. They too must be "corrected"! grin
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by 4llerbe(m): 2:27pm On Sep 28, 2009
Absolute and total BULLSH*T.

Apparently we have 2 make a seperate nland 4 all u folks dt all dt cold air has gotten to!

Dt u even posted it sef is worrying! I suppose u also see all those studies dt say every food in sight will cause u cancer and right now u live off water and air.

Tseew. Cuckoo!
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by avobode(m): 2:36pm On Sep 28, 2009
That's why parents are being run by their kids. Parents afraid to discipline their kids and these kids are pulling their strings. I will never tolerate a kid not showing their elders proper respect and behaving like they got some sense. Spanking, when used reasonably is an excellent way to let the kid know, what they did is unacceptable and should not be repeated, period.
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by rells2(m): 2:45pm On Sep 28, 2009
As a scientist, I totally disagree with the conclusion of this research. In carrying out research work, test materials (in this case the children) should be subjected to the same conditions. In this particular type of study factors to be taken into consideration should incude conditions such as social, environmental, nutrition, family e.t.c. The only thing that should be variable is the "SPANKING". Therefore the data gathered is flawed because any other thing apart from spanking could have altered the results of the IQ of the experimental children in the study.  Simple. Except the poster did not properly explain the methodology of the research.
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by sayso: 2:50pm On Sep 28, 2009
kids that are spanked in my days are better now I can really see why.are those kids not spanked the most intelligent ones/scientist of this world?abeg remove this post from the front page make we hear something.Spanked ni spanked ko.
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by bawomolo(m): 2:50pm On Sep 28, 2009
avobode:

That's why parents are being run by their kids. Parents afraid to discipline their kids and these kids are pulling their strings. I will never tolerate a kid not showing their elders proper respect and behaving like they got some sense. Spanking, when used reasonably is an excellent way to let the kid know, what they did is unacceptable and should not be repeated, period.

the problem here is do Nigerian parents know what "reasonable" spanking is?

there are lots of papa joes in Nigeria
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by avobode(m): 3:17pm On Sep 28, 2009
the problem here is do Nigerian parents know what "reasonable" spanking is?

there are lots of papa joes in Nigeria

Agreed, I just see too many parents (Nigerian and otherwise) scared off their kids. If the parents won't do it, guess what, the state will be happy to do it. Correctional facilities are waiting.
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by Nezan(m): 3:23pm On Sep 28, 2009
I have always hated kid spanking
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by okeey(m): 3:25pm On Sep 28, 2009
thankz,good info
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by monopolist: 3:47pm On Sep 28, 2009
omo ti aoko ni yo gbe ile ti ako ta
Do not train your child and when he grows up he will sell the house you built
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by Shammah200(f): 3:49pm On Sep 28, 2009
The word of God says spare the rod and spoil the child. However it is pertinent to exercise some wisdom in spanking your child. Do not spank in anger, and make sure the child understand the reason why he/she is being dealt the spanking. Also dont do it too often, otherwise the child gets accustomed to it without effecting any positive change. the extremes of both sides of the spectrum is not wise. Peace : smiley
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by Nnenna1(f): 4:00pm On Sep 28, 2009
Let's be honest with ourselves. Look at the state of Nigeria as a country and the potential of Nigerian youths - in general. Look at our universities. Our high schools. 

Yes we have intelligent people but they are only the outliers, I'm afraid. I totally agree with this study. If our children are not brought up to live in fear of authority, be it at home or in school, then maybe our dysfunctions might change for better.

Truth is bitter.

EDIT: I should clarify some things here. When I say spanking, i mean the thrashing and physical torture that we've come to associate with discipline. Not one-two-three smacks on the butt or arm.
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 28, 2009
Arrant Nonesense, my mama spanked the hell out me because i was a sturborn child but i always came first in my class, graduated with a second class upper, run an orrganization which employs 5 people and am only 26. What use will a 200 IQ be if the child is spoilt, rude arrognat selfish and without values. I vote spanking anyday
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by JeSoul(f): 4:13pm On Sep 28, 2009
aisha2:

Arrant Nonesense, my mama spanked the hell out me because i was a sturborn child but i always came first in my class, graduated with a second class upper, run an orrganization which employs 5 people and am only 26. What use will a 200 IQ be if the child is spoilt, rude arrognat selfish and without values. I vote spanking anyday
Thank you jare.

I don't care what the "study" says. Two years from now another "study" will come out and say the exact opposite. I am glad I was spanked and I will spank my future children. What I don't support is over-the-top abuse and beatings done under the guise of spanking.
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by Witi(m): 4:23pm On Sep 28, 2009
In the heart of a child abounds folly and it is through spanking that it can be corrected. Another prank to made an already spoilt generation rotten. Spanking will make the brain sharp and active while nagging can be injurious to the brain and self image. Kai my papa too spank me if not I would have been an illiterate and wont have opportunity I had today.
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by cvoyant: 4:25pm On Sep 28, 2009
Read the article,
the views were sort of leading, sort of like jomo that you do in school, they found that children who were spanked had lower IQ, It is a very valid argument that the reason why those children were spanked WAS BECAUSE THEY HAD A LOWER IQ and not the other way around.

There was a show on National Geographic that a child who can listen to and follow instructions for a big reward usually goes on to do better in school than children who wouldnt follow the instruction and settle instead for a small reward.

stitching the arguments together,
It is possible that the lower IQ child is more prone to disobeying than the higher IQ child and would thus have caused the parents to spank them,
That way we see that the low IQ caused the spanking and not the Spanking caused the low IQ.
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by oyinda3(f): 5:01pm On Sep 28, 2009
this is misleading statistics as usual.
it's more of a correlation effect than causation effect. well-behaved kids and richer kids are less likely to be spanked, and of course well behaved kids are more likely to study more, while rich kids have better access to education which leads to a higher IQ.
i bet the spanking/stress effect on IQ is very low when isolated.
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by hackney(m): 5:10pm On Sep 28, 2009
I dont agree that spanking lowers any IQ first and foremost because there cannot be any relationship between the inter-connectivity of the brain neuron cells and spanking (think about it).
Conversely, spanking one for poor results will even wake the membranes  grin grin cheesy grin

On a more personal level , if not for spanking (or the fear of it)  a lot of us wouldn't have done well in early school or even bothered to go at all.
Germany was almost undefeated in WW2 because of the 'forced' ingenuity of their scientists (fear of spanking  grin).

So conversely (to the poster), spanking stimulates the brain if it is applied in a constructive way.

(All these lousy idiots i see here hanging around corner shops and malls shpuld have been spanked silly as they would have done well in school like the indians that still spank)
chikena  grin grin
Re: Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq by emiemi(f): 5:32pm On Sep 28, 2009
spare the rod and spoil the child , bible proverb

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dna Test / . / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.