Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,807 members, 7,810,100 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:44 PM

Nigeria's High Birth Rate - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigeria's High Birth Rate (4616 Views)

Is The Nigerian Birth Rate Dropping? / Which Is Higher In Nigeria? - Birth Rate Or Death Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's High Birth Rate by exu(m): 1:06pm On Dec 12, 2006
I'm curious as to whether anyone knows of any measures being taken by either the local or federal government to curtail the ridiculously high population growth within Nigeria.

The economy is growing but many people in Nigeria aren't benefiting because of the well documented corruption but also due to the rapid growth in the number of Nigerians.

Is the average Nigerian aware of the contraceptives available to them?

Or have they once again been neglected by their leaders?

Or is it simply a case of people choosing to ignore the information presented before them?

Do Nigerian churches still encourage people to be 'fruitful' without thinking of how they will feed said 'fruits'?

Would life for Nigerians not be made easier if families choose to have one or two children that they could afford to educate and feed properly?

p.s.
Does anyone know where I can find a state by state breakdown of the population growth?

Thanks for your time.
Re: Nigeria's High Birth Rate by needeeg(m): 1:49pm On Dec 12, 2006
nice one man!
Re: Nigeria's High Birth Rate by exu(m): 11:36pm On Dec 12, 2006
Admin- could you please move this thread to the politics section.

Thanks.
Re: Nigeria's High Birth Rate by LadyB(f): 3:31am On Dec 14, 2006
ofcourse life will be easier if couples plan having their children according to their financial means.
Re: Nigeria's High Birth Rate by ThoniaSlim(f): 10:21pm On Dec 24, 2006
hhhhmmmmm,nice one.
Re: Nigeria's High Birth Rate by Multitask(m): 6:17pm On Jan 13, 2007
I believe a well established and implemented family planning will be one of the major remedies to African's difficulty toward achieving and retaining a good quality of life for more Africans especially in Nigeria where there are more people than available resources.
Re: Nigeria's High Birth Rate by Ndipe(m): 10:05am On Jan 15, 2007
There are Family planning clinics in Nigeria, and while they may have made a headway in the industrial part of the country, in the village, I doubt if their progress in reducing the number of birthrates has been remarkable. Remember, they are competing/warring against the patriarchical culture in our area that always gives preferences to the male child. So, try convincing an illiterate woman (or even an educated woman) that her worth is not tied to the number of male children that she has been unable to give birth to, and she will, in a defending manner point out to you on the pressure of family members (remember I am referring to the village) to bear a male child, or she may be kicked out of her matrimonial home, or worse, her husband's land (that she planted crops during the planting season) is at risk of being overturned to either her rival co-wife who just had a baby boy, or may be leased out permanently to the next surving male child who in most cases could be the husband's nephew.

So, we still have a long way to go!!!

P/S: I am not an advocate of abortion, because I believe that life begins at conception.
Re: Nigeria's High Birth Rate by Nikegenius(f): 3:42pm On Jan 15, 2007
This issue as been bothering me for a long time now. The worst part of it is that even some educated pple cant reason. I had a fight with my sisters lately while i was making them see reasons why we should reduce bithrate. They all tot it doesnt matter if you have money.
My own view is, lets all try to reduce the child birth in a family to a maximum of 3 so that the time will come when we will have to allow foreigners into our country to work for us.

I wish this could be published and the idea could be taught in schools and every avenue available. It will help us a great deal to secure the future for our kids.
Re: Nigeria's High Birth Rate by Multitask(m): 4:34pm On Jan 15, 2007
Good points y'all.

When it comes to this issue of planning a family, the educational process can be a very long, slow and tiring one, but it doesn't have to be that. Take a look at China, not too long ago China had problems with overpopulation. They curbed it with their one child per couple policy. While their approach may appear drastic to some people, there is no denying that china has become one of the fastest developing Countries today mostly because of that policy. Perhasps Nigeria can learn from China's success in this issue and establish and apply a two or three children per couple policy and see how it works out over a period of time.
Re: Nigeria's High Birth Rate by bindex(m): 7:50pm On Jan 15, 2007
when it comes to nigeria people will have to consider the religious and cultural stance on such issues, the very religious average nigeria will not want to know anything about family planning he will prefer to abide by what he is being told in the church or mosque. procreation is what are being thought at the worship centers
Re: Nigeria's High Birth Rate by Multitask(m): 11:13pm On Jan 15, 2007
How long will it take for the people of Nigeria to realize the need to cut their coats according to their sizes and start setting themselves free from the primitive practices, beliefs, traditions, cultures and ways of life that continues to makes them susceptible to poverty and poor qualities of life. I'm tired of seeing victims begetting more victims.
Re: Nigeria's High Birth Rate by English1(f): 2:55pm On Jan 18, 2007
I've always wondered why the poorest people seem to choose to have the biggest families.

Perhaps it is the other way round, having a big family makes you poor!
Re: Nigeria's High Birth Rate by Multitask(m): 8:01pm On Jan 18, 2007
Indeed, a smaller family is easier to finance,
This can be seen in developed Countries today
Take America for example, there are a lot of very rich couples here, who have more than enough to comfortably
sustain up to 20 kids but look at how many kids these rich and civilized couples choose to have.
Three or four kids in most cases.
But look at Nigeria, many couples have more than four children but don't the money to sustain their kids.
Nigeria can learn from this because overpopulation is a drain on the limited available resources.
Re: Nigeria's High Birth Rate by raintree: 4:04am On Mar 31, 2010
Someone please brief me what kind of Chritianity is being practised in Nigeria seeing that Polygamy is acceptable even in some churches. Worse, pastors themselves have more than one wife cos their stupid culture, law or whatever allows them. Shame, polygamy is a bullsh*t practice and one of the causes of population explosion in Africa. Another is "I must have a son no matter what" mentality in the so-called patriachal society, which favours sons than daughters. Makes me sick to the bone cos my mom is one of the women who practises such favouritism.

(1) (Reply)

Husband Has HIV But Wife Does Not Know / I Need Your Help Experienced Ladies / Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.