Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" (3862 Views)

Nigeria: Tribal War Looms In Edo State / Boko Haram Vows To Escalate Violence With Somali Training / Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by IGWEUSA(m): 12:34am On Sep 28, 2009
Piracy: Yoruba Film Marketers Cry For Help
CHAIRMAN of the Yoruba Video Film Producers and Marketers Association of Nigeria (YOVIFPMAN), Alhaji Saheed Ishola Ayedun has appealed to the Minister of Information and Communications, Professor. Dora Akunyili to save the Yoruba film industry from total extinction as the industry suffers huge losses from piracy.
In a chat with our correspondent in his office at Idumota, Ishola, said the activities of pirates have crumbled the business activities of Yoruba film marketers. He noted that unless, something is done urgently, the marketers may be totally run out of business.
Conspicuously displaying the DVD, said to emanate from Alaba International Market, which has about 14  different Yoruba films, Ishola said his association has formally written to the Censors Board and the Nigerian Copyright Commission (NCC) for protection however, nothing seems to be coming from that quarters for now.
"We have written to the NCC and the Censors Board on this issue. We have held series of meeting with these two bodies but their response is not as fast as we expect because we are really suffering from piracy. Most of our members take facility from banks to produce their jobs and these Alaba people are killing us, destroying the future of our business and further impoverishing our artistes".
Lamenting the huge losses recorded by his members over the piracy issue, he said "These pirates put between 6 and 20 different Yoruba films in a single DVD and sell at a highly ridiculous price. You can imagine a movie that was released on Monday to be in circulation by the pirates on Tuesday!
We are indeed suffering and something must be done urgently to stem the tide before it develops to an intra-tribal war. How can these people come here, make money from our land and still kill our business. We will never allow this to happen".
Appealing to Akunyili to step into the case bearing in mind her antecedent at NAFDAC, he said the association has formed a raiding committee that will see to it that anybody caught selling the pirated copies of Yoruba films will be adequately dealt with and handed over to the police. "The Nigerian Police force has really assisted us in this case. We look forward to them to help us more in the weeks ahead because we are going all out to fight for the survival of our business. I enjoin other regulatory authorities to support us in this fight against piracy. The support of both NCC and the Censors Board should be now and immediate. We must be made to feel that we have regulators, and not leave us to be on our own" Ayedun fervently concluded.

Why is it that Yoruba people always like to fight tribal war with mouth. The last one was to fight Niger deltans because of MEND,
now they want to fight AlabaIgbo people.
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by AloyEmeka9: 3:52am On Sep 28, 2009
We are indeed suffering and something must be done urgently to stem the tide before it develops to an intra-tribal war. How can these people come here, make money from our land and still kill our business. We will never allow this to happen".

Is it not the same Igbos Tunde Kelani accused of refusing to sell Yoruba movies because they are tribalists?. Is it not the same igbos who frustrated Kelani's movie sales because they[igbos] don't wan't Yoruba films to thrive?. Pirates kill everybody's business whether you are hausa, urhobo, igbo, Yoruba, fulani . It doesn't matter to them and they are not only found in alaba. It seems the alhaji whiner has scores to settle with igbos. 80% of the pirates Lagbaja caught during his sweep were Yorubas yet alhaji is pointing at igbos for piracy. May be he is a nairaland tribalist faithful. Somewhere in between sjeezy8 and negro nations.
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by Kobojunkie: 3:54am On Sep 28, 2009
People are so pathetic!!
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by udezue(m): 4:12am On Sep 28, 2009
Stupendously stupid.
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by sjeezy8: 4:24am On Sep 28, 2009
No 1. I dont see anywhere in this article where it says anyother particular tribe beside Yoruba film makers Why star tribal shit on NL by assuming trash?
No 2. I dont blame them yoruba Genre is for yorubas too watch- maybe others like english more then their own language, i dont know. Maybe others feel making money is more important than show casing ACTUAL traditional things. (which could be why other languages are not spoken as much as yoruba).
No 3. @ post theres nothing inter- tribal about this yoruba film makers make films in yoruba so its expected to sell less. they should stop whining and deal with it.

they are fighting to keep their culture alive- TRUE AFRICANS unlike the jews/anglos/arab wannabes in around Nigeria
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by sjeezy8: 4:31am On Sep 28, 2009
o yea doesn't this belong in a another section?

like movies and co . . . . .?
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by Lagosway: 4:32am On Sep 28, 2009
Why turn this into another tribal war on NL? The man was only expressing his concerns and fears that this could potentially lead to a tribal war.
Piracy of this magnitude is very bad business for our young movie industry regardless whether they are Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa movie! Nobody wants their work stolen.
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by udezue(m): 4:36am On Sep 28, 2009
Why should it lead to tribal war? Its competition ad if u can't compete leave Alaba and go somewhere. Lazy tribal morons. Na dem be only one wey get language to preserve?
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by udezue(m): 4:37am On Sep 28, 2009
This is nothing but a sad attempt to intimidate ppl and i they even run out of business completely
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by sjeezy8: 4:42am On Sep 28, 2009
shut your mouth

They are the marketing to their own language speakers unlike others, who speak english and not very good english at that.

if you no like am mind your own damn business
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by udezue(m): 4:46am On Sep 28, 2009
Dude i don't give a damn, matter fact i praise em for that though i find their too boring and the sub titles dont help. its simply wack but i still hail them for doing it n native tongue just like I do when I see Efik spoken fluently in movies like Amazing Grace and Igbo is used in movies.

I'm against them bitching about piracy coz they cant beat the game. They are stupid for that. Like I said go to another market. Its not by force and no one is obligated to sell any movie at the price they like. If dem no like am make em go open shop and sell em.
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by sjeezy8: 4:49am On Sep 28, 2009
if you dont give a damn dont comment simple

stop pms-in and act like a man

piracy or no piracy mind your own damn business
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by udezue(m): 4:51am On Sep 28, 2009
I dont give a damn what language they are trying to preserve. It ain't mine but its my freaking business and I will comment on it when I feel like it. U mad? shocked
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by sjeezy8: 4:56am On Sep 28, 2009
udezue:

I dont give a damn what language they are trying to preserve. It ain't mine but its my freaking business and I will comment on it when I feel like it. U mad? shocked

you sound dumb like foreal
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by IGWEUSA(m): 7:26am On Sep 28, 2009
sjeezy8:

you sound dumb like foreal
why cant you communicate  . . . .Please, If you cant write in English language then do so in Yoruba.
Dude, your incoherrent ramblings are sickening.
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by sjeezy8: 7:33am On Sep 28, 2009
IGWE_USA:

why cant you communicate . . . .Please, If you cant write in Enlish language then do so in Yoruba.

go to sleep buddy
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by texazzpete(m): 9:04am On Sep 28, 2009
udezue:

Why should it lead to tribal war? Its competition ad if u can't compete leave Alaba and go somewhere. Lazy tribal morons. Na dem be only one wey get language to preserve?

WTF?
Someone takes your copyrighted material, your movie you've invested heavily in producing, pirates it and sticks it on a DVD containing over 10 movies and you say it's 'competition'?! You define piracy as 'competition'?

You, my friend, are clearly the slowpoke here.
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by AloyEmeka9: 11:09am On Sep 28, 2009
sjeezy8:

shut your mouth

They are the marketing to their own language speakers unlike others, who speak english and not very good english at that.

if you no like am mind your own damn business

Yes, very good english like the one you wrote above. undecided
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by IGWEUSA(m): 11:19am On Sep 28, 2009
^^^^^^^^^
ROTFLMAO!! shocked SLeezy is just a joke.
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by Nchara: 4:44pm On Sep 28, 2009
This accusation can go both ways. I have personally witnessed where Igbo and Yoruba traders were fighting at a place called Ojoo along Lagos-Ibadan expressway in Ibadan. Reason: the Yoruba traders were selling Igbo-produced English movies at 100 naira per movie just next door to Igbo traders who were selling the originals at the right price of 250-300 naira (as at then). As expected, every buyer was rushing for the cheap movies. How were the Yoruba movie sellers able to do this? They were of course selling pirated movies. When confronted, they told the Igbo traders to move to Igboland if they feel bad about it.

So if the useless alhaji is whining, he should ask who started it first. In any case, most evil things in Nigeria are usually started in Yorubaland and then moved to other parts. They should live with it or recognize that it is not a tribal thing; piracy is global.
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by asha80(m): 5:03pm On Sep 28, 2009
Funny thread.The alhaji should talk like a matured man.
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by udezue(m): 5:30pm On Sep 28, 2009
Texaspette no u are the slowpoke. In any civilized country piracy issue or whatever is not dealt on tribal level STUPID. Go to court but if u don't know where a court is coz u are a tribal slowpoke pack and leave.

BACKWARD THINKING IDIOTS. FIGHT UR BATTLE LIKE U GOT SENSE
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by Nobody: 6:29pm On Sep 28, 2009
I hate when any wrong things in dis country is usually tribalize, d igbos have gained tremendously from piracy, they are either into kidnapping lile their south-south brothers or robbing, If their staying in lagos is going to be a problem to the yorubas,i will advise they r repatriated to okija shrine, Pirated cds,fake drugs,fake spare parts,human body parts etc, na only igbo(weed) dey dis country,stop embarassin us,
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by Nchara: 6:38pm On Sep 28, 2009
~Bluetooth:

I hate when any wrong things in dis country is usually tribalize, d igbos have gained tremendously from piracy, they are either into kidnapping lile their south-south brothers or robbing, If their staying in lagos is going to be a problem to the yorubas,i will advise they r repatriated to okija shrine, Pirated cds,fake drugs,fake spare parts,human body parts etc, na only igbo(weed) dey dis country,stop embarassin us,

Yoruba started kidnapping (gbomogbomo) when Igbos were still sleeping in diapers. SS and Igbos only learned from them.

Igbo kidnappers have not kidnapped non Igbo but Yoruba have kidnapped more than 20 Igbos living in Yorubaland and this was in 2008 before kidnapping became an issue in Igboland. Those news were posted here last week. Go read them.
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by Nchara: 6:40pm On Sep 28, 2009
Those naijas representing in US and UK in fraud are from where?
Ogun shrine where the Gov went to swear his people in is where?
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by BlackRevo: 7:45pm On Sep 28, 2009
The basis for our continuous unity and existence does not exist anymore, we are living on a predatory situation. Every one dupes the other person, you can look at it from the tribal angle or not. Yorubaland, igboland, ijawland, hausaland, thisland and thatland angry

Where is the Nigerianland?
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by Fhemmmy: 8:44pm On Sep 28, 2009
I think this is a problem that needed to be dealt with and not start pointing tribal fingers, there are some Yorubas that pirated the English movies, as well as igbo boys doing the english ones, so it is a worm to be dealt with and has nothing to do with tribes or color.
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by Tsiya(m): 8:54pm On Sep 28, 2009
This is Nigeria where everyone find someone to blame for his problem
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by KnowAll(m): 8:59pm On Sep 28, 2009
Nigeria is a jungle every freaking human being is trying to survive, survival of the fittest, a society where the law enforcement agency is non existent what do u expect chaos of course, I will be susprise if this melee and skirmishes dont develop into something major.
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by Tsiya(m): 9:08pm On Sep 28, 2009
It will develop into nothing.

Piracy occurs all over the world. How many of the movies being bought and watch in Nigeria are original? How many softwares are original in Nigeria? To me, anything on a CD or DVD is pirated.

The guy should quit complaining and go and make good movies that will sell outside the Yorubaland and Nigeria.
Re: Yoruba Film Makers "Alaba Piracy Might Escalate To Intra-tribal War" by Kobojunkie: 9:15pm On Sep 28, 2009
Tsiya:

It will develop into nothing.

Piracy occurs all over the world. How many of the movies being bought and watch in Nigeria are original? How many softwares are original in Nigeria? To me, anything on a CD or DVD is pirated.

The guy should quit complaining and go and make good movies that will sell outside the Yorubaland and Nigeria.

No, there is a real problem that needs to be dealt with here. Piracy is Illegal and should not be condoned. Ever wonder why our actors and actresses churn out so many ridiculous movies every single year? It is almost as if they produce at least 50 each, just so they can make ends meet,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2011: "PDP Must Win Kano, Lagos’" / Recommended 7 Point Agenda For Goodluck Jonathan / Photos Of President Buhari And His First Wife, Safinatu Back In The Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.