Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,734 members, 7,851,525 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:26 PM

5 Reasons Why Your New Bachelor’s Degree Is Worthless - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Reasons Why Your New Bachelor’s Degree Is Worthless (1146 Views)

5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible / 5 Nigerian Disciplines Where A First Degree Is As Good As Useless / How Possible Is It To Run A Bachelor Degree And HND At The Same Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why Your New Bachelor’s Degree Is Worthless by bammy00(m): 12:42pm On Aug 19, 2016
[size=13pt]5 Reasons Why Your Bachelor’s Degree Is Worthless

1.) Academic Inflation
In the 1970’s, only a small fraction middle-class workers had education beyond Secondary school. Today, almost 70% of all jobs in Nigeria require a higher education (My estimate, no backup stats). Your new B.Sc or HND is becoming increasingly worthless as more and more people graduate from tertiary institutions, as jobs that used to need only a bachelor’s degree now prefer master’s degrees.
If the excess of bachelor’s degrees wasn’t enough, now we have an increase in master’s degree students: B.Sc has now become a sub-standard commodity.
It’s only a matter of time until you’ll need a bachelor’s degree and a certification to be a driver—there goes all the SSCE jobs.

2.) The Illusion of Safety
What used to be a guarantee of safety and stability has recently turned into an exercise in musical chairs. There aren’t enough jobs for everyone, and you find yourself scrambling to not be the odd man out.
According to the National Bureau of Statistics, the country's labour statistics for the fourth quarter of 2015 with the report putting the country's unemployment rate 10.4% up from 9.9% in their previous report.
A survey indicated nearly half of those with a higher education qualification were unemployed. A total of 41,032 (45.72 percent) of the 89,755 people who responded to the survey on said they were unemployed graduates, the Lagos-based firm said in an emailed statement. (The Guardian, 25 January 2016)
Why not just get certifications in advanced courses like programming, Digital marketing, Internet Marketing you can even learn a trade, instead of wasting precious time and resources going to college?. I have a mechanic friend who makes more money in a week than the graduates who slave away at bank tellers make in a month.
Why go to school when you can make more money by tapping into your ideas?

3.)Financial Constraints on Families

On average, the cost for one year of attendance at four-year university costs 40% of a family’s annual income (this is a US data statistic, we know the percentage would increase considerably if the same survey is conducted here). No need to explain why.

4.) The Source of Creativity
People seem to think that the simple act of attending college makes you more innovative and creative. That’s simply not true.
Creativity and innovation don’t come from what people teach you: new ideas come from your personal experiences, and your interaction with your environment.
Eight years ago, a man named Ken Robinson made a TED speech that revolutionized the topic of education. It caused many parents to pull their kids out of school, it was a matter of hot debate among experts, and it has been watched on the TED website over 31 million times to date (not including over 7 million more times on YouTube). Many of you may be familiar with this lecture, but for those who aren’t, we highly recommend you take the next twenty minutes to sit down and listen to what this man has to say.
http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity?language=en

5.) Your Lecturer’s Aren’t Concerned About Your Education
I know people who graduated with a degree in engineering who couldn’t do a derivative. I’m not joking.
Many professors are far more interested in tenure and their research than they are about making sure you get the best education they can possible give you. They grade you on curves so you can’t possibly fail, and the curriculum never changes. In fact, one study showed that 45% of students are no better at critical thinking, complex reasoning, and writing after their first year than they were when they began.

On the Plus side

You’ll Be Better Off With One Than Without One
Although getting a degree isn’t the golden ticket to success anymore, it’s still a rite of passage in Nigeria. If you do need to get a job, having a degree can only help you—not only will you have more options to choose from, but you’ll also get paid more.

I’m a freelance writer, Digital marketing professional and Creative Graphics designer adept at Corel Draw and Photoshop, currently learning Programming. Studying Physics and Electronics at the University seriously feels like a waste of time. I feel like I am only 4 years behind where I should have been. , just in case 

Article taken in part from http://www.lifehack.org/

[/size]

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Your New Bachelor’s Degree Is Worthless by babyfaceafrica: 12:57pm On Aug 19, 2016
Okay
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your New Bachelor’s Degree Is Worthless by Nobody: 12:59pm On Aug 19, 2016
Its not abt d job but u need to think n feel like a modern or informed person... with your Bsc u can aswell create jobs n employ people.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

NDU Starts Lectures September 5, Releases Timetable For New Session / JAMB Commences Registration [see FULL GUIDELINES] / List Of EBSU Faculties & Department That Will Offer Admission This Ye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.