Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes (18631 Views)

As Naira Gains, Neighbouring Countries Ease Rush For Nigerian Goods / Naira Surges As CBN Intervenes In Interbank Market / Speculators Get Burnt As Naira Gains Value (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by Truth234(m): 4:58pm On Aug 19, 2016
The Naira rose 5.2 percent to 308 against the US dollar on Friday after the Central Bank of Nigeria intervene to support the embattled currency at the interbank market.

The local currency, which traded at 365.25 per dollar on Thursday, closed at 324 in the previous session.

Since the Central Bank abandoned its fixed rate on June 20, the currency has plunged 38 percent.

Forcing the apex bank to prop up the Naira value by intermittent sales of the US dollar to ease economic gridlock created by forex scarcity.

"They’ve been selling dollars most days to keep it going above 320 and have done their best to try and keep it closing around 310. Managing the exchange rate is difficult because there’s pent-up demand. The central bank has been supplying them. They sold some at 309 on Wednesday to keep the rate down, said Craig Thompson of Nyon, a Switzerland-based brokerage Continental Capital Partners SA.”

“There’s still a lot of demand for dollars,” he added.

http://investorsking.com/naira-gains-5-2-percent-after-cbn-intervenes/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by kishimi8(m): 6:58pm On Aug 19, 2016
Don't know how this stuff works, tried testing my atm by depositing funds in my amazon gift card account only to be charged 396, where do they get their own rates, luckily it's was a 1 usd test transaction

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by ezechueze(m): 7:47pm On Aug 19, 2016
good
Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by Truth234(m): 4:03am On Aug 20, 2016
kishimi8:
Don't know how this stuff works, tried testing my atm by depositing funds in my amazon gift card account only to be charged 396, where do they get their own rates, luckily it's was a 1 usd test transaction

You were charged parallel rate, this is interbank rate. By Monday, BDCs would have reflects current development.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by Adesiji77: 6:26am On Aug 20, 2016
Truth234:

“There’s still a lot of demand for dollars,” he added.

http://investorsking.com/naira-gains-5-2-percent-after-cbn-intervenes/

The demand is just incredible bro!

The foreign portfolio investors appeared not to be convinced yet.

How long will CBN keep intervening? Besides, the intervention is not having much impact on the pent-up demand.

Lots of LCs and BCs are on evergreen waiting lists angry

Cc: lalasticlala, dominique, Mynd44

11 Likes

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by joey150(m): 6:29am On Aug 20, 2016
Everyday na rat race..naira gains today..naira looses tomorrow.

Buhari has to take responsibility, his leadership skills and organisation must be very poor.

How else can you explain how nothing ever works anymore, no parasatal, no agency, no minister..just a bunch of below average individuals heading this country.. just confusion from jamb to olympics to economy to infrastructure..

40 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by justi4jesu(f): 6:29am On Aug 20, 2016
Stories without effect. angry

1 Like

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by Nobody: 6:31am On Aug 20, 2016
The wailer above me though cool

Its funny that good news about Nigeria is bad news to some Nigerians cool

To the topic:
I will support any move by this government to reduce importation and encourage exports to grow our currency. CBN can not intervene for ever.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by Abdullateeflawal(m): 6:32am On Aug 20, 2016
policy reversal... they dont even know what to do. God save Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by fuadnero(m): 6:32am On Aug 20, 2016
Use www.abokifx.com to check the daily rates
kishimi8:
Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by samx4real(m): 6:34am On Aug 20, 2016
Even reporting this as news, sounds like bad news to me!

#Badnews

2 Likes

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by hobermener: 6:35am On Aug 20, 2016
Mtchwwww

1 Like

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by lashout1: 6:36am On Aug 20, 2016
Truth234:

You were charged parallel rate, this is interbank rate. By Monday, BDCs would have reflects current development.
And I ask, why do we have parallel mkt/rate in a flexible policy with different market forces?

3 Likes

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by Nobody: 6:37am On Aug 20, 2016
Na wash, thats what they said before floating Naira. Clueless government. After travelling everywhere, delaying minister selection, budget drama, discouraging investors, this government is doing trial and error.
Na grazing land concern them, APC will provide food security, na wash. Diversify economy, na wash, they are looking for oil in the north. "we recovered loot", yet we keep borrowing.
Now we know this isn't the change Nigerians voted for under the sun, under the rain and at night. The excitement and enthusiasm that greeted the election of M. Buhari has slowed faded away.

To all final year medical student of Obafemi Awolowo University. You have come this far, victory is near

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by Realdeals(m): 6:39am On Aug 20, 2016
I'm not surprised about the high exchange rate, Nigerians can import anything $5 billion weekly demand is not small at all.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by abumeinben(m): 6:39am On Aug 20, 2016
Thought they said demand and supply forces would rule the Naira tussle...why would CBN intervene?

Someone should tutor me.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by Tallesty1(m): 6:41am On Aug 20, 2016
And how long will their intervention last?
Too much tumbo tumbo policies in this administration

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by Adonis3: 6:41am On Aug 20, 2016
Pprovost:
To the topic:
I will support any move by this government to reduce importation and encourage exports to grow our currency. CBN can not intervene for ever.

can we just be realistic

We keep hearing how the naira has appreciated but what do we still meet at the black markets??

BTW, so the fall of naira is now "a move by the government to reduce importation"

grin I see

#Adonis3HasSpoken

4 Likes

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by horpeyemmi66(m): 6:45am On Aug 20, 2016
grin grin grin

Can someone who did Economics, Business Administration, Banking and Finance or Accounting break all that jargon down.

What I can say is that the present Nigerian government is a grotesque catastrophe.

11 Likes

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by Amah70: 6:45am On Aug 20, 2016
But if one may ask:

was Buhari on Owerri weed when he promised to make one Naira exchange for one Dollar if we voted him to become president of Nigeria?

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by Kaybaba5(m): 6:48am On Aug 20, 2016
Nigeria will be good again

1 Like

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by jazinogold(m): 6:48am On Aug 20, 2016
naira keep gaining until it will gain independence from dollars! grin

Then 1 naira = 1 dollars

may be lie Mohammed will be the President of Nigeria then grin

11 Likes

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by ajeleseujn(m): 6:48am On Aug 20, 2016
These Niger-Delta guys should please seize fire, and let Nigeria have more dollars to sell.

Meanwhile, until we start looking inward, our breakthrough from dollar slavery won't come around.

5 Likes

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by UltimateDaniel(m): 6:49am On Aug 20, 2016
That's good tl hear
Read devotional @ www.openheavensdaily.org
Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by KINGwax007(m): 6:49am On Aug 20, 2016
I dnt knw whybqe Nigerians are so bent on destroying ourselves!

The demand for naira in this country is alarming...

It all boils down to fraud and the ease to launder money...

1 Like

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by bobo65(m): 6:50am On Aug 20, 2016
Pprovost:

What's d good news pls

2 Likes

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by bobo65(m): 6:50am On Aug 20, 2016
Amah70:
But if one may ask:

was Buhari on Owerri weed when he promised to make one Naira exchange for one Dollar if we voted him to become president of Nigeria?

Lol

2 Likes

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by ABIOLAXYZ(m): 6:53am On Aug 20, 2016
FAKE PROMISES

1 Like

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by Localamos(m): 6:56am On Aug 20, 2016
joey150:
Everyday na rat race..naira gains today..naira looses tomorrow.

Buhari has to take responsibility, his leadership skills and organisation must be very poor.

How else can you explain how nothing ever works anymore, no parasatal, no agency, no minister..just a bunch of below average individuals heading this country.. just confusion from jamb to olympics to economy to infrastructure..

You, my friend, are the result of a poor education system. If you don't know the workings of an economy, then shut your trap tongue

3 Likes

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by SurePresident: 6:56am On Aug 20, 2016
Better days ahead fr Nigeria."He that rays fr the Peace of Jerusalem shall eat the good of the land" Psalm 122:6. If you believe that Nigeria shall one day be Great click Like, if you've given up on Nigeria click Share.
For guaranteed practical profitable, easy and affordable ideas, go to investberich.com Thank me later.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naira Gains 5.2 Percent After CBN Intervenes by Localamos(m): 6:58am On Aug 20, 2016
ajeleseujn:
These Niger-Delta guys should please seize fire, and let Nigeria have more dollars to sell.

Meanwhile, until we start looking inward, our breakthrough from dollar slavery won't come around.

Well said!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Can I Import From Turkey: Very Urgent / Photos From The Fire Yankura Market, Kano / Taxify Drivers/partners In Ibadan, Share Your Experience Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.