Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,127 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

How To Know Dangerous Bananas And Plantains - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Know Dangerous Bananas And Plantains (2834 Views)

How 8 Plantains And 6 Eggs Almost Led To The Death Of This Beautiful Nigerian La / Why You Should Always Choose Bananas With Dark Spots Than The Fresh One / 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Bananas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Know Dangerous Bananas And Plantains by princemol: 7:56pm On Aug 19, 2016
I saw this on FB, so I decided to share it with Nairaland peeps.

Friends, we all love bananas and we eat a lot of them, but the bananas available in the market are forced ripe by dipping in water mixed with Carbide. The consumption of these bananas is 100% sure to cause Cancer or some other infection in the stomach. Therefore, such type of bananas is to be avoided
But, how does one recognize the bananas ripened with the help of Carbide?
Bananas which are ripened naturally are dark yellow and there are small black spots here and there on the bananas and the stalks are black.
While those which are forced ripe with Carbide are lemon yellow and their stalks are green and moreover they are clear yellow without any black spots.
Carbide is a chemical which if mixed with water, emits heat and the heat emitted by a Close tank mixed with Carbide is even more than that emitted by a LPG Cylinder, so much so it can be used for Gas Cutting (which means the calorific value is so high that it can replace LPG gas). In the same way, when the bunch of bananas is dipped in the water mixed with Carbide, the gas gets absorbed into the bananas and they get ripe. However, the banana vendors are not that literate and so they do not know the exact proportion of Carbide to be used for a dozen of bananas. As a result they end up using excess quantity of Carbide which gets absorbed into the bananas and ultimately enters our stomach. Due to this excess use of Carbide, tumors can be formed in our digestive system.
So, next time you purchase bananas, make sure you select the naturally ripened ones.

Re: How To Know Dangerous Bananas And Plantains by emartu(m): 8:11pm On Aug 19, 2016
Very educative I thought the clear yellowish banana was better

2 Likes

Re: How To Know Dangerous Bananas And Plantains by deife(m): 8:24pm On Aug 19, 2016
Wow! So educative. Thank you OP.
MODs, Front page please!
Re: How To Know Dangerous Bananas And Plantains by Tynasparks(f): 11:18pm On Aug 19, 2016
Really helpful
Re: How To Know Dangerous Bananas And Plantains by symbianDON(m): 8:06pm On Aug 20, 2016
hmmmmm where do I even begin op I really wonder where you got your information from but I sure know your information reeks of lies and is COMPLETELY FALSE AND MISLEADING!!! for one, the use of carbide for ripening banana doesn't in any way produce carcinogens. elementary chemistry should have made you understand that when calcium carbide (the so-called carbide) is dissolved in water, ethyne also known as acetylene (welder's gas) is produced. now, fruits like apples and bananas actually do produce ethyne gas naturally when ripening. in fact ethyne plays a major role in ripening. now what is done locally is that, based on the knowledge that ethyne plays a vital role in ripening, carbide in used to produce ethyne which forces the fruits to ripen; kind of accelerated ripening. this is not harmful in anyway. as a matter of fact it is used all over the world. the only negative it has is that you probably won't get that natural taste you get with fruits that ripen naturally.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

7 Healthy Foods For A Growing Baby / Online Cooking Classes Via Whatsapp / 25kg Made In Nigeria Rice Selling At #7000 In Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.