Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,313 members, 7,867,823 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 03:29 AM

Nigerian Legislators Reply Babangida; Remind Him Of History - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Legislators Reply Babangida; Remind Him Of History (472 Views)

Fashola Angry With Enugu Legislators Action On Eedc / New Photo Of Ibrahim Babangida As He Returns From Germany / APC's Promise Of Providing 3,000,000 Jobs In A Year: I Just Want To Remind PMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Legislators Reply Babangida; Remind Him Of History by hotznewz: 11:53pm On Aug 19, 2016
Some Nigerian legislators on Friday, August 19, 2016, took time to react to a recent comment credited to former military head of state, Ibrahim Babangida, in which he said he would prefer a part time legislature for Nigeria.

Nigeria currently runs the a full time legislature in the 36 states of the federation as well as at the National Assembly. The country also operates a bicameral legislature at the national level and this is broken into the Senate and the House of Representatives.

Speaking with journalists as he clocked 75, Babangida said: “In 1989, we proposed that the National Assembly should be made part time and I still believe if I have the opportunity, I will make it part time.

“I strongly believe in it and it is all in the effort to reduce the high cost of governance‎ and I know I may be in trouble for suggesting part time legislature.”

The trouble he is expecting as a result of the comment comes from both serving and past members of the Lagos state House of Assembly, some of whom reminded him of how he destroyed the country and the dream of democracy.

While some gave reasons why they think Nigeria was not ripe for part time legislature, others said he asked him to keep shut because he is not the right person to speak on the country’s democracy while reminding him of some things he failed to do when he had the opportunity.

Read the reactions: on http://news.naijaobserver.com/view/6944/nigerian-legislators-reply-babangida-remind-him-of-history
Re: Nigerian Legislators Reply Babangida; Remind Him Of History by WomanWrappa(m): 11:55pm On Aug 19, 2016
undecided
Re: Nigerian Legislators Reply Babangida; Remind Him Of History by Richkid97(m): 11:59pm On Aug 19, 2016
grin

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Gov Wike Graces The 56th NBA Annual General Conference In Port Harcourt / Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan-ffk / Fraud Allegations: Jibrin Needs Urgent Psychiatric Attention – Reps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.