Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,680 members, 7,816,782 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? (3555 Views)

Can Anybody Help Me The Way I Will Get House Contract In Innsbruck / Delta Awards Contract For Second Int’l Airport / Can Anyone Get Me To Usa Or Canada On Contract? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by nrdgeek: 9:10pm On Sep 28, 2009
So we finally got our visas, and now, we are in Her Majesty's territory. We then realize we've got lots of calls to make. yeah! international ones at that! So wat network's got the best deals? To wat sort of service do we subscribe, Contract or pay-as-you-go? If contract, do we subscribe to a sim-contract? or, will a phone-contract be our best bet?

Nairalanders already in the UK, abeg! we need your informed advice, cry
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by justwise(m): 9:55pm On Sep 28, 2009
Go for pay-as-u-go for now. Get vodafone cos topup is just £5, for International calls, get urself Lebara sim card, its preloaded with £5 worth of credit, that will give u about 60-70mins of International calls.

U can use it for local calls as well. If u went for contract line, u will still need to buy calling card.

Maybe other members will tell u more.

Good luck
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by 1honeybee: 9:58pm On Sep 28, 2009
For international fone calls on the go,

lebara mobiles

If you talk or text alot(within the uk), i'm sure u'll find deals with orange, t-mobile, 3network, vodafone and o2

3 network, can be annoying . i think they're got limited network coverage in some places or something

flex on t-mobile is ok if u want to make some international call to some countries but its about 40/min, lebara mobile will sort that out for less

all in all, i prefer contract deals to PAYG.

if you dont want contract hassle, u can go for a sort of one month contract sim which gives u some advantages over PAYG and u can quit wenever u want by giving them a month notice or so
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by nrdgeek: 8:13pm On Oct 02, 2009
justwise:

Go for pay-as-u-go for now. Get vodafone cos topup is just £5, for International calls, get urself Lebara sim card, its preloaded with £5 worth of credit, that will give u about 60-70mins of International calls.

U can use it for local calls as well. If u went for contract line, u will still need to buy calling card.

Maybe other members will tell u more.

Good luck

Thanks man. I'm currently using a PAYG service from Nomi mobile- I actually had the SIM waiting for me in my Uni room. So far, the tarrif is okay. Its only 1ppm more expensive than Lebara- for calls to Naija, that is. Cant complain though. Or should I? Was only wondering if there was anything attractive in a contract line. overheard someone highlighting the seeming benefit of going for a Contract rather than a PAYG. Cant remember the details now. Just wanting some more info.
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by tjadeba(m): 4:15pm On Oct 03, 2009
Lebara is it for international calls
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by VOR(m): 9:28pm On Oct 03, 2009
Lycamobile is good for international. If you register the SIM online you are given
an additional £2.00 credit and they always have deals on calls to Naija.
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by justwise(m): 9:37pm On Oct 03, 2009
tjadeba:

Lebara is it for international calls

Both International and local calls. Though i prefer it for international calls.
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by akinalabi(m): 12:17am On Oct 04, 2009
Use Lebara. I honestly think its better than all these Nigeriatel nonsense
cards sad
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by justwise(m): 12:31am On Oct 04, 2009
akinalabi:

Use Lebara. I honestly think its better than all these Nigeriatel nonsense
cards sad

Sure, lebara is better. Phone cards are rip off
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by nrdgeek: 12:09pm On Oct 04, 2009
So should I just ignore the Contract thingy?
You guys seem to have ignored it completely.
Someone was doing a good job trying to sell the idea to me
, talk of some 300 or 600 free minutes or so, whats the deal?
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by Akpangbon: 12:14pm On Oct 04, 2009
Look - talk to the friends you know in the UK instead of coming to form on NairaLand.
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by DisGuy: 12:19pm On Oct 04, 2009
300-600 minutes
oh boy you'll be lucky if that last you a week!!!!
you need 1000minutes minimum! with another sim for pay as you go

For some reason i think lebara,lyca etc are rip offs they dont last more than a day when i top up!
I prefer international call cards for some reason even though they are a bit inconvenient

Nrd geek- you will have to decide based on the number of call you make/will be making and who you will be calling the most
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by justwise(m): 1:15pm On Oct 04, 2009
nrd_geek:

So should I just ignore the Contract thingy?
You guys seem to have ignored it completely
Someone was doing a good job trying to sell the idea to me
, talk of some 300 or 600 free minutes or so, whats the deal?

Contract line is ok IF u have alot of friends here in the Uk to call else its pointless cos u can't call Nigeria with it without been charged.
So it depends on how much local calls u make and how long u stay online.
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by snowdrops(m): 2:32pm On Oct 04, 2009
Orange has got some brilliant pay monthly contracts. With £15 a month, you can get a free camera phone; 500 anytime any network minutes; 60 anytime any network video calling minutes; unlimited text messages; unlimited landline calls. To call oversees, just get any of the international call cards, dial the landline access numbers which is free with the orange deal, and eureka!!; just keep talking free.
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by justwise(m): 6:09pm On Oct 04, 2009
snowdrops:

Orange has got some brilliant pay monthly contracts. With £15 a month, you can get a free camera phone; 500 anytime any network minutes; 60 anytime any network video calling minutes; unlimited text messages; unlimited landline calls. To call oversees, just get any of the international call cards, dial the landline access numbers which is free with the orange deal, and eureka!!; just keep talking free.

Camera phone is nothing, every phone company gives u that even if u are paying £9 a month.

Yes u can use ur credit plus calling card to call international, 3G gives the same deal but those calling cards will not give u what they said they will.
Lebara will give u more minutes for Nigeria.
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by snowdrops(m): 6:50pm On Oct 04, 2009
I am talking about a Nokia 6500, and its got loads of features. It may not be an i phone, but its got all the basics and it comes free.
Talk Home, costs £5 [some shops £4.50]; its great value for money; it gives over a 100 [real] minutes to call Nigeria. It is similarly useful to call other parts of the world.
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by OFSL(f): 9:12pm On Oct 04, 2009
Hello Nairalandians,

Hello everyone, [size=18pt]FandO Freight Services Limited (FSL)[/size] is a Freight and Shipping Service company offering Door-to-Door collection of goods from anywhere in United Kingdom and delivering to any destination in Nigeria. We are proud to offer our fast and reliable shipment of goods from UK to any destination in Nigeria. We also offer goods clearing at Nigeria port.

We also offer Limited product sourcing within the United Kingdom.

Please visit us today online @ www.fandofreight.com
Or
Contact us at customerservice@fandofreight.com, info@fandofreight.com or on Telephone number 447904573108 – 447723309128 for more information.

Thank you for your time.

Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by OFSL(f): 9:34pm On Oct 04, 2009
Are you looking for how to get your orders from the UK delivered to you in Nigeria? Do you need peace of mind knowing fully well your orders are safe and will be with you in within reasonable period? Fando Freight Cargo and shipping is here to help. Visit www.fandofreight.com or call +447904573108.

services you can rely on....[size=8pt][/size]

Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by kadman(m): 1:35am On Oct 05, 2009
@ Poster

You can only survive that side with 2 lines ! Lebera / Lyca Mobile for International calls,and your T mobile contract for UK calls,as long as you're there for long term you would accomolate friends in UK you need to call,and it would soon become more important than your Nigeria calls.
I bought my mobile from Nigeria , so I use SIM only contract. I pay £20 a month for 800 mintues,unlimted text and Free internet !

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phones/sim-card/pay-monthly/pay-monthly-solo/solo-20-12-month/allowances/
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by nrdgeek: 1:50am On Oct 08, 2009
@everyone: Big thanks to all those who've made useful contributions. I think I'd just go with the Lebara mobile. makes a lot of sense if you really look at it -international calls are cheap and, with the number of friends currently on the network, the free Lebara to Lebara call is absolutely a slice of heaven, !?

@kadman: thanks pardner. always timely wit ur posts. you wouldn't remember me now, would you? Well, you replied a post I made in the General UK inquiry thread. I had asked if I could apply for the visa without paying for accommodation and with just about GBP5490 in my account. you asked me to top up the account wit just a lil more sterlin notes. Well, I added my Pops statement of account and, voila, I'm in the UK now.
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by Thanuja: 6:46am On Jul 13, 2011
Once when i went to UK Regarding work . that time i was about unlock my Mobile . it displays the message as contact service provider , i just used my mobile according to the network i needed making use of this site http://www.unlocking4free.com/unlock-your-phone & i unlocked my mobile safely using unlock code specified in it . it provides unlock code at free cost & very good in services too,
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by Nobody: 9:24am On Jul 13, 2011
Thanuja:

Once when i went to UK Regarding work . that time i was about unlock my Mobile . it displays the message as contact service provider , i just used my mobile according to the network i needed making use of this site http://www.unlocking4free.com/unlock-your-phone & i unlocked my mobile safely using unlock code specified in it . it provides unlock code at free cost & very good in services too,

And what does your response have to do with this 2-odd-year-old thread?
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by moonraker(m): 9:34pm On Jul 13, 2011
Siena:

And what does your response have to do with this 2-odd-year-old thread?

More like My teacher is a panda kinda moment cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jul 17, 2011
Please i need a 02 recharge card 15pounds if you can help me to get it so i can load on my Sim i roamed in Nigeria i will pay you the money here or pay it to your people here in nigeria, i need it urgent
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 17, 2011
oyibomoses:

Please i need a 02 recharge card 15pounds if you can help me to get it so i can load on my Sim i roamed in Nigeria i will pay you the money here or pay it to your people here in nigeria, i need it urgent

Let's get this straight - you need someone to help you buy credit to top-up your UK o2 SIM? Is this someone within the UK?
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by eddy42k(m): 7:09am On Jul 18, 2011
Baba Siena, pls av been tryin to reach u ,pls can u help me out i need an automatic transmition gear and engine for my isuzu rodeo 2000model. 3.2v6 capacity
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by eddy42k(m): 7:11am On Jul 18, 2011
pls my email is eddy42k@gmail.com
Re: Uk Phone Service: Contract Or 'pay As You Go'? by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 18, 2011
eddy42k:

pls my email is eddy42k@gmail.com

Email sent.

(1) (Reply)

The Historic Point Of No Return In Badagry: A Nairalander's Account / Onitsha The Ancient Beautiful City (photos) / Some Struggles Nigerians Having Only A Green Passport Will Understand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.