Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,988 members, 7,835,314 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer (2062 Views)

10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid / 3 Things To Do To Make Your 2017 UTME Registration Faster And Stress Free / Advance Your Carreer With BI (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by AnthonyDgreat: 6:37pm On Aug 20, 2016
Firstly, let me introduce myself to my fellow nairalanders.
My name is Anaele Anthony Chukwuebuka (AnthonyD'great), am from Owalla Avuvu in Ikeduru LGA, Imo State.
==
==

In almost all Nigerian Institutions, there has been an obnoxious attitude and activities that has been going on both inside and outside the campus which could destroy a student's academic carreer if care is nnt taken. These unpleasant activities and attitudes are being practised by our students, both the males and the female ones. Such obnoxious activities and attitudes are as follows;
=
=

1.CULTISM - These are groups formed mostly by students. These groups are heartless, merciless, unconscionable and undaunted to die.

=
Cultists are like smokers who could die at anytime. It's quite unfortunate that in almost all Nigerian Institutions, 85% of the students are cultists.
On the contrary, most parents/parent are not aware that their children whom they sent to school to go and learn have joined cultism. I had seen and heard so many news about cultists who are being shot dead either on their way to/from lecture by their fellow cultists.
Cultism is now very rampant in our various institutions. The most unfortunate part is that most students' are being adviced/forced to join cultism by their fellow students' and friends who belonged. The fact is that if you hesitate to join the group, they would be threatening to kill you, some would even be calling you Jew Man. My brethren, it's better for someone to be called a Jew Man and and feel comfortable even when walking alone in the night than to risk his/her life by joining cultism.

==
==
2.WOMANIZING - This is the commonest factor that could ruin the carreer of most of our young men in the institutions. This is the situation whereby almost 90% of our young men in the institutions chase/pursue different kinds of women of different sizes.
=
=

Womanizing is one of the most dangerous factor because, sexually transmitted diseases could be contacted through sex, whereby risking your young life.
=
=
Most women are very cunning and tricky, they would frustrate you and also dump you. The most unpleasant is that some guys spends their school fees on women, why? Just because of pleasure. It's indeed annoying and provocative.
=
=
My brethren, bend down concentrate on your studies.
==
==
3.STUDYING THE WRONG COURSE - This is in every institutions, it's common. Sometimes i blame the parents, sometimes i blame the institutions by giving candidates courses that they did not applied for, sometimes i blame the students who chose courses they did not know about. You wold see a case whereby a candidate is being denied admission and would be asked to select another course or else, you would lose your admission, this had made and is making so many candidates to ignorantly choose courses that is not their ambition, some would even choose courses they have not heard of.
=
=
On the other hand, some parents pressurizes their children to study courses that is not their ambition. Students are supposed to be given full privillage to choose courses they like.
=
=
Summarily, if you want to succeed during your academics, avoid bad friends, bad gangs, womanizing, avoid being pressurized to study a course that's not your ambition, avoid choosing a wrong course, and again but not the last, pray to your God.

SOURCE: http://myschoolpunch.com/forum2_theme_112873138.xhtml?tema=85

1 Like

Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by talktonase(m): 7:03pm On Aug 20, 2016
two messed me up no doubt...Thank God I am making it up wth a second degree...
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by Edwardhead(m): 7:59pm On Aug 20, 2016
shocked
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by rishies(m): 9:19pm On Aug 20, 2016
OP I totally concur with you

So I say -YA HEAD IS CORRET-
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by fratermathy(m): 9:38pm On Aug 20, 2016
Leave those things jare.

Who has the wits, has the wits. Who's dull, is dull. Some people become deeper lifers in school & lack social lives yet they flop and make 3rd class or pass. Some others are chronic drinkers, womanisers, cultists, etc, and still manage to make a 2'1. With extra efforts, they'd make a First. Some people are not meant to be University students. People are blessed in different ways! Some are meant to be singers. Others are meant to be artists, tailors (fashion designers), cobblers, etc. Know what God blessed you with and use it to excel. Our society pays too much attention to certificates and that is why you see people struggling to go to school even when the brain is not there. Let no one deceive you, everyone's brain is not the same. Some are born academic geniuses while others are born with other gifts. I know of a very dull boy with a knack for repairing things. He simply went to a polytechnic for his OND and he's making his money today. Reason is simple: he discovered himself. Others will go to the university and struggle with grades even when they know their gifts.

Bottomline is this: know yourself! Do what you want but be focused. Focus is everything. If you lose focus, not even Jesus can help your case. What then is focus? It's simply a visualization and conscious aspiration towards what you want. Leave the rest for your intelligence & devotion.

I agree that some things are distractions but they are not a yardstick to measure academic excellence. Some people read ONLY one night to the exam and make As. Others read all night throughout the semester and make Cs.

There is no such thing as wrong course as well. If you have the brain, you can pass & read any course with little to no motivation whatsoever. I read a course I didn't put in for but that didn't stop me from being the best. If the course irks you so much, simply go back home & rewrite jamb. Lack of motivation is not an excuse for failure. Having a social life is not an excuse. Even cultism, which I don't recommend, is not an excuse. A notorious cultist in my department then made a 2.1 with his natural intelligence.

These are the secrets of getting good grades
1. Know yourself
2. Work with yourself
3. Attend classes (at least 75%)
4. Understand how you assimilate
5. Work with your rate (slow for some, fast for others).
6. Know how to write very well
7. Avoid cramming if you can
8. Know the lecturers
9. Do what thou wilt!

Every other thing involved is a personal choice!

Who go better go better sha.

@Op: It is 'my name IS'! Not 'my names ARE'! You should have known that by now. It's only criminals with various names who use the plural form of that verb.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by CriticMaestro: 9:44pm On Aug 20, 2016
Lemme park here...FP #loading.....Seun do justice to this ßro
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by CriticMaestro: 9:46pm On Aug 20, 2016
Lemme find space and park....front page stuff...wiaris seun?
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by supersaz66(m): 10:01pm On Aug 20, 2016
Make me sef Park for here.
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by Toluwani113: 10:32pm On Aug 20, 2016
Nice one OP !
I rep www.dailyschoolgist..com
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by Pabloosas(m): 10:41pm On Aug 20, 2016
Driver!? Park!!! This is the address... grin
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by Fidelismaria: 10:50pm On Aug 20, 2016
undecided

Same old same old

Tell us sumtin we dont know

Everybdy knows dis
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by Rapsowdee01(m): 1:20am On Aug 21, 2016
In a country where the degree is more valued than one's intellectual capability... what choice do we have than study a course we might not even have any idea about ?

I'm a student of yabatech and currently studying a course ONLY yabatech runs in the whole of NIGERIA and few french universities because the french men introduced the course here.. i have always dreamt of being a com-guy.. i just pray God blesses the work of my hands and work a way out for me...

If i had a chance to rule this country, the ONLY thing i'll work on is the EDUCATIONAL SECTOR ! Cos that's where needs help the most and not the crashing oil sector.. I PRAY A BETTER NIGERIA... I PRAY A BETTER WORLD...
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by Sirhethat12(f): 10:21am On Aug 21, 2016
fratermathy:
Leave those things jare.

Who has the wits, has the wits. Who's dull, is dull. Some people become deeper lifers in school & lack social lives yet they flop and make 3rd class or pass. Some others are chronic drinkers, womanisers, cultists, etc, and still manage to make a 2'1. With extra efforts, they'd make a First. Some people are not meant to be University students. People are blessed in different ways! Some are meant to be singers. Others are meant to be artists, tailors (fashion designers), cobblers, etc. Know what God blessed you with and use it to excel. Our society pays too much attention to certificates and that is why you see people struggling to go to school even when the brain is not there. Let no one deceive you, everyone's brain is not the same. Some are born academic geniuses while others are born with other gifts. I know of a very dull boy with a knack for repairing things. He simply went to a polytechnic for his OND and he's making his money today. Reason is simple: he discovered himself. Others will go to the university and struggle with grades even when they know their gifts.

Bottomline is this: know yourself! Do what you want but be focused. Focus is everything. If you lose focus, not even Jesus can help your case. What then is focus? It's simply a visualization and conscious aspiration towards what you want. Leave the rest for your intelligence & devotion.

I agree that some things are distractions but they are not a yardstick to measure academic excellence. Some people read ONLY one night to the exam and make As. Others read all night throughout the semester and make Cs.

There is no such thing as wrong course as well. If you have the brain, you can pass & read any course with little to no motivation whatsoever. I read a course I didn't put in for but that didn't stop me from being the best. If the course irks you so much, simply go back home & rewrite jamb. Lack of motivation is not an excuse for failure. Having a social life is not an excuse. Even cultism, which I don't recommend, is not an excuse. A notorious cultist in my department then made a 2.1 with his natural intelligence.

1. Know yourself
2. Work with yourself
8. Know the lecturers
9. Do what thou wilt!

@Op: It is 'my name IS'! Not 'my names ARE'! You should have known that by now. It's only criminals with various names who use the plural form of that verb.
. yes u are right , but not completely...... if someone read so hard without drinking or clubbing and still finished with second class lower then can u imagine what happen if they decide to involve in clubbing and womanizing? trust me the fact that they don't makes a great difference....and yes there is such thing as studying a wrong course, I know a lot of engineering student that would rather die than study medicine.... it is what is...
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by pwettiejay(f): 10:57am On Aug 21, 2016
AnthonyDgreat:
Firstly, let me introduce myself to my fellow nairalanders.
My names are Anaele Anthony Chukwuebuka (AnthonyD'great), am from Owalla Avuvu in Ikeduru LGA, Imo State.
My name IS
Very good points anyway, worthy of FP
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by AnthonyDgreat: 12:31pm On Aug 21, 2016
Thanks very much @pwettiejay, i really do appreciate.
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by vivianbelema(f): 1:45pm On Aug 21, 2016
Nice one
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by AnthonyDgreat: 6:36am On Aug 22, 2016
Thanks @vivian and all of u
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by AnthonyDgreat: 5:02pm On Aug 22, 2016
@Toluwani, can we do a backlink?
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by Horlorlardaey: 5:54pm On Aug 22, 2016
nice write up
i concur with the three points
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by Horlorlardaey: 5:56pm On Aug 22, 2016
[quote author=fratermathy post=48660281]Leave those things jare.

1. Know yourself
2. Work with yourself
8. Know the lecturers
9. Do what thou wilt!

youve made your points clean, clear and sound
thumbs up
Re: 3 Things/habits You Should Avoid That Could Destroy Your Academic Carreer by AnthonyDgreat: 7:59am On Aug 23, 2016
Thanks very much @Horlorlardaey for your encouragement

(1) (Reply)

16 Unusual And Rare Hybrid Animals / Limitations To Freedom Of Movement / ABSU; Medsurg Pre-mb Examination: About 200students Were Advised To Leave!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.