Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,557 members, 7,837,140 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers (28187 Views)

Top Black CEOs At Global Corporations And Lessons From Their Careers / 6 Careers That Will Be Extinct In 10 Years / 7 Jobs You Can Do Without A University Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by engrjacuzzi: 9:53am On Aug 23, 2016
no job is safe at the moment not even the government jobs with the high rate of privatisation n concessions in the industry.

1 Like

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by bentlywills(m): 9:59am On Aug 23, 2016
johnsonjosbles:
Op just said the simple trut, when praying for Job, don't pray fr anyhow Job like above! Those doing these jobs were so glad @1st day @work, but fast faword to 1years, they are fraustrated! My wife is a banker, the last sack in her office, she wish she was among because her mate that were sacked was paid 5m as pay off, they were so happy because they see it as freedom from bondage. Most of them are doing very fine now with litle busnss they establish with rest of mind.

Bank job hv always bin a bondage, thanks to God she wasn't sacked better things re ahead for her
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by emmytech101: 10:02am On Aug 23, 2016
Zakkyoz:
private school should be number one. no matter how hardworking you could, you can be sacked if an aggressive parent table your case before proprietor.
True talk , a hardworking teacher that taught in my school for 15 years was fired for problems with the proprietor
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by vislabraye(m): 10:09am On Aug 23, 2016
izzy4shizzy:
I can relate to The Private school teaching

Pls nd pls Never make a mistake of been too comfortable teaching...just be seeing it as a way to prepare yourself

No matter the pay, Teaching in private schools suck! They suck like an olosho n a customer

I dey tell you. If you have have some money, I will advise never to venture into private teaching. Do your masters or a professional course at best. There's no career growth or development. There's no structure.
There are some schools that will ask you to teach maths, physics, chemistry and further maths assuming you read a course like chemical engineering. I forgot to add intro Tech to the list. If you read microbiology you will be asked to take biology, chemistry and Agric. They may even add junior maths for you.
If you are seeking to build your career, please run from this people because it's like entering a black hole. You can't come out. But the benefit is that, it will sharpen you and give you some exposure and of course small cash to take care of little expenses. (I said little expenses).

2 Likes

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Eddodoh(m): 10:25am On Aug 23, 2016
Dyt:
My opinion

Teaching is not for everyone
Not for the money*yes we work in naija cos of the pay*
They are builders
They brought you to where you are today
Only if I could turn back the hands of time, I would embrace teaching.

I am a full timer customer service person
I do Marketing and CRM
I must tell you its an interesting combination when you have got confidence* forget the crazy target, you stay or leave*

Not all customer care works in telecoms
Offices
Front desk
CRM

Customer service is broad
You only pick the one that suits you

Enlighten me about other Customer Care job cos I am almost dying in Call Center environment.
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Eddodoh(m): 10:27am On Aug 23, 2016
Dyt:
My opinion

Teaching is not for everyone
Not for the money*yes we work in naija cos of the pay*
They are builders
They brought you to where you are today
Only if I could turn back the hands of time, I would embrace teaching.

I am a full timer customer service person
I do Marketing and CRM
I must tell you its an interesting combination when you have got confidence* forget the crazy target, you stay or leave*

Not all customer care works in telecoms
Offices
Front desk
CRM

Customer service is broad
You only pick the one that suits you

Enlighten me about other Customer Care job cos I am almost dying in Call Center environment. Please, do not suggest Marketin because at the mention of Mar......, I already fainted.
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by tunary(m): 10:31am On Aug 23, 2016
eph12:

How long you remain small depends on you. A start up needs an average of 3-5 years to really enjoy good profits.
jesus christ you sound like a counselor with experience. Can we chat privately please?
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Dyt(f): 10:46am On Aug 23, 2016
Eddodoh:

Enlighten me about other Customer Care job cos I am almost dying in Call Center environment.

Eddodoh:

Enlighten me about other Customer Care job cos I am almost dying in Call Center environment. Please, do not suggest Marketin because at the mention of Mar......, I already fainted.

cheesy
Funny you

Every organisation
No matter how small needs good customer service

Front desk
CRM
Technical support could be referred to help desk too
Sales product support
Business corporate mostly handles corporate accounts not necessarily banking industry
Customer care rep handles both on phone and person which could relate to help desk

These Are other parts of customer service

The sole purpose is to keep customers both new and existing ones
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by wroskian(m): 10:57am On Aug 23, 2016
Jarus:

Actually the three are the largest absorber of formal Labour.

Yes they are, especially teaching. But the honest truth is that most private schools are slave drivers.

Happy Birthday Sir. grin Have a blast...

1 Like

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by K024(m): 11:11am On Aug 23, 2016
Adesiji77:
Interesting topic.

Job security is fast becoming a myth in view of tougher environment for businesses.

On banking, my take is that one should start planning retirement from the first date of resumption.

Actually, the smartest people across professions/careers start planning for retirement (or even premature, unplanned, undesired exit) from the first date of resumption.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by MamaletASO: 11:49am On Aug 23, 2016
1. Bouncers at the Club.(You need to see how the bouncers suffer. Just spare 2days and study d bouncers at any club..upon d hole they still make dem to lick men ass...mtcheeeww)

2. Social worker (commercial Sex worker)

3. Private school teacher..

Its better you start up a farming (Poultry, Fish, Maize or Vegetable or Plantain Plantation) business instead of wasting your time on this jobs..
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by free2ryhme: 11:55am On Aug 23, 2016
Dyt:

Lagos Nigeria
And not all CC jobs are telecoms
undecided undecided

where in the post did i mention anything abt telecoms

inferior complex already??
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Dyt(f): 12:25pm On Aug 23, 2016
free2ryhme:

inferior complex already??

cheesy cheesy cheesy
I know
Its been a while

Stopped making troubles
Iyaf dash you the remaining
cheesy cheesy
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by free2ryhme: 12:47pm On Aug 23, 2016
Dyt:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
I know
Its been a while

Stopped making troubles
Iyaf dash you the remaining
cheesy cheesy

tufia back to sender grin
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Gabrielo7125(m): 12:52pm On Aug 23, 2016
seriously teaching (private schools) job is extremely useless most especially for married man with family to cater for.
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by angelpriya(f): 1:19pm On Aug 23, 2016
Firerising:

u don't plan retiring in the banking sector instead fro the very first day u plan resignation...and in Nigeria job security is a myth because the way government is sacking ppl now for coming late to work...odikwa egwu

working on customer care service is hell
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by haarfeez: 2:56pm On Aug 23, 2016
[quote author=veekid post=48722914]Teaching should be Number one [ why
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Ezionye(f): 3:27pm On Aug 23, 2016
DozieInc:
*Most times career in banking is very narrow.
*State schools sure pass.
*Customer care...anytime you stop caring for the right people.

Lolx @ caring for the right pple

Are there some wrong pipu?

BT the essence of customer care is to continue to care

U can't stop

1 Like

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Ezionye(f): 3:34pm On Aug 23, 2016
Firerising:

u don't plan retiring in the banking sector instead fro the very first day u plan resignation...and in Nigeria job security is a myth because the way government is sacking ppl now for coming late to work...odikwa egwu

Ave been planning resignation for how long now

And am still planning......... cry cry

Its not easy o

Lolx
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Jbsky: 5:29pm On Aug 23, 2016
Your opinion.
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Blessing16: 6:33pm On Aug 23, 2016
It depends on the sort of teaching job it is o
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Kexorcist(m): 9:27am On Aug 24, 2016
Taxiist. No. Just no.
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by HRinsider: 11:54am On Aug 24, 2016
I Know This Will Help Someone

STARTING A CAREER IN HR

Kendor Consulting is hosting a FREE seminar on Saturday, September 12, 2016 at 11 am!

• Are you looking to start a career in HR and wondering how to get a foot in the door?...
• Are you new to HR and wondering what’s in it for you?
• Are you currently employed but thinking of making a career switch to HR?
• Do you want a career in HR but don’t think you have the right skills to make the move?

Then nip over and talk to us. Bring your CVs along.

Admission is strictly by REGISTRATION.

To register
• Visit www.kendorconsulting.com/register or
• Call +234 1 342 5779 or +234 818 743 3436

Registration closes on Thursday September 15, 2016.

Venue: 20B, Niyi Okunubi Street, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos.

Time: 10 am – 1 pm

For more information visit www.kendorconsulting.com/startingacareerinhr
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by eph12(m): 1:16pm On Aug 24, 2016
tunary:
jesus christ you sound like a counselor with experience. Can we chat privately please?
Yeah we can though I am no counsellor with experience. WhatsApp 07033771198
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by mikolo80: 12:28am On Aug 25, 2016
Principe:
A job is something one does in earn gain or gain experience.A career is a long term pursuit of life long ambition.From these definitions is it safe to say that job is a sprint while career is a marathon.

Let us look us look at some of the jobs one should not take for a career.My criteria for choosing these jobs are:

-Job security
-Career growth
-Ability to transfer the skills acquired on these jobs to other sectors.

(1) BANKING:Years ago this profession would not have made this list,sadly things have changed.

Most bankers in Nigeria are contract staff,there is no promotion for a contract staff in the banking sector no matter how hard you work or dedicated you are to your job,even the core staff get promoted after 4/5 year at one level.Secondly,you can be asked to go anytime so any day you log in you work for that day bearing in mind that your sign on can be disabled anytime.

Ever wondered why most bankers move from one bank to the other?well apart from the myth of getting promotion faster,an average banker does not have special skills(especially technical skills)which could be transferred to other sectors.

Lastly,in banking the higher you climb(for the core staff) the less relevant you become.This is why most banks fire mid management staff and recruit someone younger and less expensive.

(2) TEACHING(PRIVATE SCHOOLS):This is a job one could do immediately after NYSC to keep 'body and soul' together.Salaries of some private schools are lower than the NYSC allowee.Some may argue that some private schools pay good salary.That is true,but they are few and far between.

Some schools do not have corporate structure let alone employment letter.The proprietor may even sack you verbally undecidedOne can also 'resign' by telling the owner through phone.

CUSTOMER CARE(NETWORK PROVIDERS).Tales of how these customer care staff are treated by their employers abound,they are poorly paid.There is also an unconfirmed story I heard that the health implications of answering calls regularly are enormous.

Disclaimer: This piece was not written to discourage people that are doing the aforementioned jobs nor those who intend to start.However,if you want to quit it is better you have another job before quitting.
this is a lazy mindset. So which job is now career
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by ibiboatais(m): 8:59am On Aug 25, 2016
mikolo80:
mikolo80:
successvista.org
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Meatmealfarms: 7:56pm On Sep 06, 2016
Hi Guys,

Please find below a job post for a position at Meatmeal Farms and Foods Limited.

JOB DESCRIPTION - Business Development Associate.

1. Prospect for new retail customers and outlets for eggs and chicken sales.

2. Compile, maintain and update Meatmeal's customer call schedule.

3. Achieve sales target for assigned areas/locations

4. Delivery within set limits of operations

5. Gather market intelligence on the sales and distribution of eggs and chicken.

6. Report to the Head, Business Development on a routine basis.

7. Develop customer's relations with Meatmeal farms and foods Ltd.

JOB REQUIREMENTS

1. Minimum of an OND qualification from a reputable higher institution.

2. Must not be above 30 years of age.

3. Must be able to speak English and one popular Nigerian language fluently.

4. An experience in eggs and chicken sales would be an added advantage.

SALARY STRUCTURE

1. Fixed salary of N20,000 per month

2. Commission of N20 per crate up to maximum of N30,000 per month based on agreed target sales.

3. Other benefits such as year-end products for personal use and bonus salary based on management's discretion.

Interested candidates should send their Resume/CVs and applications to meatmealfarms@gmail.com

Job opening will close on the 30th September 2016.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mikano Retrenches Workers It Once Recalled / What Skill I Can I Learn In 3 Months While I Wait For NYSC? / Mckinsey First Round Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.