Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,090 members, 7,835,666 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Best Ogedengbe Is Dead? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Best Ogedengbe Is Dead? (5304 Views)

Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) / Godwin Spiff Sagbama Is Dead - Veteran Sports Journalist / Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Ogedengbe Is Dead? by DISTINCT89(m): 6:10pm On Sep 30, 2009
May His Gentle soul Rest in Perfect Peace
Re: Best Ogedengbe Is Dead? by Carlosein(m): 7:00pm On Sep 30, 2009
Jafour:

I had thought while growing up for someone to be a Nigeria best goalkeeper amount to wealth, how wrong I was. My family then live in a face me I face you house where Best Ogedegbe family shared a room on the Lagos Island. I remembered vividly when Best Ogedegbe came to visit the family for the blessing of a new peugeot 504 car, I had thought in my little mind that is a sign of richness couple with  fact that govt.  made promises to his team after winning 1980 CAF cup would have elevated him and his family out of poverty. At the end of the day, it was a mirage.

May his soul rest in peace. I wish the present govt. would be able to foot the bill of the funeral. Obviously, the man died of poverty.

Very typical of naija. May his soul rest in the eternal hands of God the best goal keeper.
Re: Best Ogedengbe Is Dead? by ireke(m): 7:58pm On Sep 30, 2009
Remii:

May his soul rest in peace and may God be with his family.

This man died of poverty. The eye surgery was delayed till too late due to lack of fund to travel abroad. This is the reason boys these days demand and get their reward before donning Nigeria shirts. Government never honoured promises to them during his time. The houses promised them by Shagari for wining 1980 CAF cup was never given same for other promisess especially by Federal Govt. Obasanjo worsen their plight by offering omly handshakes. The house could have been sold now and the man may be alive today. Ironically those who contributed to his misery would now go to his house and insult his family with heavy grammatical accolades.
I also heard that the man was a goalkeeper trainer to one of the national teams but when it was time to go for the tournament, it was an official that took his place. Only God can save us o.
Re: Best Ogedengbe Is Dead? by ireke(m): 8:08pm On Sep 30, 2009
Come to think of it, if the man died at 55, that means he was about 26 when he won the ACN with the Eagles in 1980. Segun Odegbami is now 57 and I don't think these people have reasons to have falsified their ages. These guys retired soon after 1980 and I'm wondering why Nigerian footballers (especially those that belong to that generation) retire so early. Is it all about the poverty and lack of training materials?
Re: Best Ogedengbe Is Dead? by chyk91(m): 11:17pm On Sep 30, 2009
r.i.p best
Re: Best Ogedengbe Is Dead? by bintab(f): 7:16am On Oct 01, 2009
Remii:

May his soul rest in peace and may God be with his family.

This man died of poverty. The eye surgery was delayed till too late due to lack of fund to travel abroad. This is the reason boys these days demand and get their reward before donning Nigeria shirts. Government never honoured promises to them during his time. The houses promised them by Shagari for wining 1980 CAF cup was never given same for other promisess especially by Federal Govt. Obasanjo worsen their plight by offering omly handshakes. The house could have been sold now and the man may be alive today. Ironically those who contributed to his misery would now go to his house and insult his family with heavy grammatical accolades.
Oh, this make my heart bleed,it is very sad in deed. O ma se o.Again may his soul rest in peace.
Re: Best Ogedengbe Is Dead? by babaogun(m): 5:27pm On Oct 01, 2009
ireke:

Come to think of it, if the man died at 55, that means he was about 26 when he won the ACN with the Eagles in 1980. Segun Odegbami is now 57 and I don't think these people have reasons to have falsified their ages. These guys retired soon after 1980 and I'm wondering why Nigerian footballers (especially those that belong to that generation) retire so early. Is it all about the poverty and lack of training materials?
Injury problems?:
Re: Best Ogedengbe Is Dead? by instinct(m): 4:02pm On Oct 02, 2009
May his soul rest in peace. I met him once, he is a nice guy.
Re: Best Ogedengbe Is Dead? by ikennahill: 12:10pm On Oct 04, 2009
you may not understand,ogedengbe will never die from poverty,he might not be rich either.The truth is that he died after eye surgery.How and why?

That is the problem with our great nation naija.
There is total break down in our health sector and you can see the end result of health care politics in our nation,i tell you many more people have died,what of Gani,his own was another thing.

The truth is that Ophthalmologists here have refused to develop their skills in ophthalmology and instead they keep on fighting optometrists from doing their job in primary eye care,they cant even do cataract surgery well and etc. to fight the optometrists they started this 18months diploma programme in Nigeria and they started calling them ophthalmologists,now tell me the person who should be doing retinal surgery,cataract ,glaucoma surgeries,etc ,etc ,is busy fighting over eye glasses,conjunctivitis,etc.Instead of concentrating on their job,they are fighting others from answering doctor,please check Guardian of December 18 2008 and see what a consultant Medical doctors said about this so called war.he out rightly condemned what the ophthalmologists are doing .In the end a lot of Nigerians go blind and some like ogedegbe meet their end.

The fact is that our health system is dead,once politics enter anywhere,the place will die,
EFCC,NFF,sports,etc are there for u to see.

may ogedegbe rest in peace.
Re: Best Ogedengbe Is Dead? by okunoba(m): 1:38pm On Oct 04, 2009
Thanks Ikennahill 4 the info, I thought something was funny with the circumstances of his death, now the picture is a bit clearer. Could these events/issues be the sign 4 the  "death of a Nation" Prayers or hardwork. With a country of miracle seekers the choice is clear.
Re: Best Ogedengbe Is Dead? by Keegan: 7:03pm On Oct 09, 2009
Rest in Perfect Peace Best Ogedegbe

1 Like

Re: Best Ogedengbe Is Dead? by Akolawole(m): 10:03am On Oct 13, 2009
Goodnight Best of Best

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bimbo Adeola Is Ungrateful / PHOTOS: Most Beautiful African wives and girlfriends of sportsmen(Wags) 2014 / EL CLASSICO: Barcelona Vs Realmadrid ; Today At 4:15pm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.