Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,358 members, 7,836,463 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

8 Incredible Inventions/discoveries That The World Once Called “useless” - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 8 Incredible Inventions/discoveries That The World Once Called “useless” (690 Views)

10 Lucky Discoveries That Made People Rich / 2017 Scientific Discoveries That Will Surprise The World / 10 Accidental Scientific Discoveries That Changed The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

8 Incredible Inventions/discoveries That The World Once Called “useless” by chideyofficial(m): 8:46am On Aug 23, 2016
You see this world eh, it can be very very somehow. Very very unpredictable.

Sometimes, it is that babe that you ignored that might be your saving grace tomorrow. Sometimes, it is that chapter you didn’t read before an exam that the lecturer will get the compulsory first question from.
Sometimes too, it is that invention or discovery that you ignored before it has realised its full potential that may be your saviour day after tomorrow.

My advice? Deride the latest fad with caution, because it might just blossom into a beautiful young woman and/or change the way we all live our daily lives.
So if you are a predictor (my niggz at Merrybet & Naijabet can tell you such a risky business prediction is), be careful cos those odds can be deceiving, at times. And you know what that means, you may end up looking like an idiot.

The lesson we can all hopefully take from history, is that we have achieved a lot more as a species by saying that things can be done, rather than dismissing the impossible before it has had the time to change the world.

Now do like Taylor Swift, shake of the unbelief and read these baldfaced examples that will wow you…

1. The Telephone
“The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty of messenger boys,”
***Sir William Preece, Chief Engineer of the British Post Office, 1874.

Oh, and this too…

“What use could this company make of an electrical toy?”
***William Orton, Western Union president, in response to an offer to buy Alexander Graham Bell’s telephone company for $100,000

Others thought the technology was not only worthless but impossible.
“Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires and that were it possible to do so, the thing would be of no practical value.”
***The Boston Post, 1865.

Hahahahaha, someone better go to the grave and tell these 19th century guys that this is the second decade of the 21st and they are seriously MIA as at least 75% of the world’s population have access to a mobile phone, let alone a landline. That’s 5,250,000,000 impossible voices transmitted over impossible wires.
Impossibility ko.

2. Television
“Television won’t last because people will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night.”
***Darryl Zanuck, movie producer, 20th Century Fox, 1946

Walahi, Darryl Zanuck never see Game of Thrones or Empire.

A common trend in the dismissal of important new inventions, is that the person doing the dismissing is often part of a rival industry. Sir William Preece did it with the telephone, Chaplin did it with cinema, and then Zanuck, who was involved in the movie business, did it with television. The lesson here is to underestimate your enemy at your peril.

“Television won’t last. It’s a flash in the pan.”
***Mary Somerville, pioneer of radio educational broadcasts, 1948.

This flash in the pan has resulted in a world in which 99% of British households own at least one television, and the average person in the West will spend a total of 9 years of their life “staring at a plywood box”. Is there any Nigerian household without a TV?? Maybe only my grandmother’s house in the village.

4. Online Shopping
Well, to be candid, I, too, was pessimistic about online shopping. At first, I didn’t believe in Konga and Jumia them, saw them as scams (paranoia gonn’ kill me one day, lol). But it wasn’t only me, even Time Magazine.

“Remote shopping, while entirely feasible, will flop – because women like to get out of the house, like to handle merchandise, like to be able to change their minds.”
***TIME Magazine, 1966.

Maybe TIME weren’t really talking about online shopping at the time (as there was no line to be on on the first place then), but they did dramatically underestimate people’s desire to do as little as possible as often as they can, and this extends to getting someone else to do the legwork for you in your shopping.

Not only did they miss the mark with the potential success of online shopping, with online retail sales predicted to break $370 billion in 2017, but also pretty much all other aspects of their assertions.

Continue at http://nolongtalk.com/8-incredible-inventionsdiscoveries-world-called-useless/
Re: 8 Incredible Inventions/discoveries That The World Once Called “useless” by mahvie: 9:11am On Aug 23, 2016
[color=#770077][/color] op you fall my hand ooh! Why you no just post everything
Re: 8 Incredible Inventions/discoveries That The World Once Called “useless” by Raydos: 9:18am On Aug 23, 2016
This Post Inspires Me - Gave Me Hope - Fill My Emptiness.

Then Who Said I Can't Make It In Life?

Who Said The Hard Time I'm Experiencing Now Won't Come To An End??

Who Said My Dream Won't Come True?

You All Are Jokers

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Your Project Topics And Materials On BANKING AND FINANCE / Solid State Physics And Renewable Physics / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.