Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,656 members, 7,820,281 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

Is Pat Utomi An Economist? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Pat Utomi An Economist? (4415 Views)

Pat Utomi Is On The Ministerial List-Bishop Kukah / Jonathan’s Biggest Economic Mistakes — Pat Utomi / Pat Utomi To Run As Delta State Gov In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Pat Utomi An Economist? by bawomolo(m): 5:50pm On Sep 30, 2009
kuramo:

You are right, a Bsc in Economics should not be compared with a Phd in Political Economics because the Phd is far superior to the Bsc.

Shouldn't you be comparing degrees within fields and not many among fields.

Is someone with a PHD in general studies automatically smarter than someone with a Masters in Applied Math? Nigerians are obsessed with degrees and titles in general.
Re: Is Pat Utomi An Economist? by SEFAGO(m): 5:51pm On Sep 30, 2009
Phd holder in Political Economics is miles ahead in terms of expert knowledge in economics than an upstart with a Bsc in Economics

errr, depends on what field of economics. A political economist (regardless of Phd) would be clueless about certain aspects of economics that a Bsc learnt.
Re: Is Pat Utomi An Economist? by proudly9ja(m): 6:52pm On Sep 30, 2009
Nawao, see us here dey discuss grammar and names.

@porka,
I really tried to believe that you are actually being straightforward with this your quest but I find it very difficult to believe. I pasted a website, Pat Utomi's website where he listed his biography including DATES and you still say

Thank you sir. He sure has all the details which should be in public as he is no longer a private person. I found it strange that someone of Utomi's stature should not make such things public. Public people are treated in public not in private.

How else can one make something public if not on the internet Can you name another Nigerian politician with his COMPETE CV with DATES online?

And how can you compare Gowon's rise a presidency with Utomi's position as special assistant? Gowon was MILITARY president.Anyone can be at any age! for goodness sakes, Valentine Strasser was president at 21!

My point is, if he wasn't qualified, he wouldn't have been made a special assistant and lets even leave that. Did you notice I also wrote he was Volkswagen's Assistant GM at 27? If he wasn't qualified, would he rise to that position?

As per calling himself an 'economist', maybe you should quote where he called himself one as you say. Im sure if he has, then he must be qualified to.
Re: Is Pat Utomi An Economist? by PapaBrowne(m): 7:07pm On Sep 30, 2009
SEFAGO:

errr, depends on what field of economics. A political economist (regardless of Phd) would be clueless about certain aspects of economics that a Bsc learnt.
No, no no, Mr SEFAGO, No!!
A Bsc is just a piece of paper!! It is the knowledge that matters!
Because a Phd involves a lot of research, he would naturally have to cover much of whatever was learned at Bsc level, where neccesary.
It's not the paper man, its the knowledge that counts.
Re: Is Pat Utomi An Economist? by Beaf: 7:18pm On Sep 30, 2009
^
Exactly. We Nigerians only want to know the microscopic difference between academic abbreviations and other titles and letters we can append to our names. We forget about the brain behind the abbreviations. "My degree big pass your own".

We just love titles, Chief, Dr, Engr., Arch., CFG, AFG, PRSC. . . Anything that confounds the man on the street. Its rubbish really, the greatest inventor of all time (Thomas Alva Edison) did not have a formal education. In Nigeria, he would have been a mere area boy.
Re: Is Pat Utomi An Economist? by SEFAGO(m): 10:39pm On Sep 30, 2009
A Bsc is just a piece of paper!! It is the knowledge that matters!
Because a Phd involves a lot of research, he would naturally have to cover much of whatever was learned at Bsc level, where neccesary.
It's not the paper man, its the knowledge that counts.

Agreed.
Re: Is Pat Utomi An Economist? by porka: 11:41pm On Oct 05, 2009
After all said and qouted, is Pat Utomi an economist

"Utomi had his first degree in mass communications at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, UNN. He also holds MA, MPA, and Ph.D in political economy."

Does the above quote make Utomi an Economist?

So someone with a first degree in History, MA and PhD in History of Economics is an Economist too? See why Nigeria's economy is teethering? Nigeria is probably the only country with the number of "economists" higher than it's GDP figure.

I can go ahead and get a PhD in Yoruba and claim to be an economist because people listen to me? This is getting out of hand. Why cant I just be satisfied with claim to my Yoruba mastery and leave economics to PROPER economists? What does it take from Utomi if he is refered to as a Journalist that he is?

Nigerians should learn to do things properly please. A BSc is just a piece of paper? A PhD involves a lot of research, true, but Wole Soyinka did not have any PhD o, yet he is renowned in his field not a "wannabe".
Re: Is Pat Utomi An Economist? by proudly9ja(m): 12:13am On Oct 06, 2009
porka:

After all said and qouted, is Pat Utomi an economist

"Utomi had his first degree in mass communications at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, UNN. He also holds MA, MPA, and Ph.D in political economy."

Does the above quote make Utomi an Economist?

So someone with a first degree in History, MA and PhD in History of Economics is an Economist too? See why Nigeria's economy is teethering? Nigeria is probably the only country with the number of "economists" higher than it's GDP figure.

I can go ahead and get a PhD in Yoruba and claim to be an economist because people listen to me? This is getting out of hand. Why cant I just be satisfied with claim to my Yoruba mastery and leave economics to PROPER economists? What does it take from Utomi if he is refered to as a Journalist that he is?

Nigerians should learn to do things properly please. A BSc is just a piece of paper? A PhD involves a lot of research, true, but Wole Soyinka did not have any PhD o, yet he is renowned in his field not a "wannabe".

ok
Re: Is Pat Utomi An Economist? by 9ja4eva: 1:09pm On Oct 06, 2009
Whats the purpose of this thread?

Is Yar Adua a professor?
Re: Is Pat Utomi An Economist? by Olaone1: 11:27pm On May 31, 2015
Hmmmmmm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Major Gen. Isa Army Director Of Public Relations On Containing Boko Haram - Live / Breaking: Ekiti Governor Ayo Fayose Missing / Nigeria To Begin Another Civil War To Stop Niger Delta Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.