Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:55 AM

How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively (6349 Views)

Political Cartoon: Buhari The Snail, A Nation In Waiting - Sahara Reporters / Nigeria The Most Corrupt Nation In Africa? / Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by Backslider(m): 5:39pm On Dec 13, 2006
My thoughts of Building a Greater Nigeria

WE HAVE TO HAVE ONE LANGUAGE I SUGGEST WE TAKE A MINORITY LANGUAGE

THE REASON IS THAT WE NEED A LANGUAGE THAT IS NIGERIAN AND THAT WE SPEAK IT AND TEACH IT IN OUR SCHOOLS

WE MUST HAVE TRIBAL PROHIBITTAL STATEMENT ( EQUIVALENT OF TO RACIAL LAWS)

WE MUST ABOLISH STATE OF ORIGIN: IF YOU ARE BORN IN JIGAWA YOU FROM JIGAWA PERIOD

WE MUST INSTALL REFINERY IN ALL STATES ( there is a way you can do without spending a dollar)

WE MUST SET UP A CIVILIAN CORE CONVENTION: THIS PEOPLE SHALL BE CALLED A NEW NAIJA CORE PEOPLE

To set up this you shall

Take 100,000 OR 1,000,000 MEN AND WOMEN from every STATE OF NIGERIA AGES MUST BETWEEN 15 - 25years THEY MAY COME FROM POOR FAMILIES

YOU WILL LOCATE THEM IN A MILITARY-STYLED CAMPS THEY SHALL HAVE

FREE FEEDING

FREE CLOTHING

FREE TEMPORARY SHELTER AND

FREE EDUCATION

IN RETURN YOU SHALL HAVE THEM WORK ON

1 NEW FARMS
2 NEW ROAD NETWORKS TO CITY AND IN THE CITIES
3 USE THIS CIVILIAN CORE IN CLEAN UP EXERCISE
4 BUILDING DAM (IRRIGATION AND OTHERS)
5 AUXILLIARY POLICE AND INTEL OFFICERS
6 BUILDING OF POLICE STATION PRISONS AND COURTS
FOR INTELLIGENCE PURPOSE I WILL STOP HERE
E.T.C

THE QUESTION IS HOW DO YOU GO ABOUT THIS THERE MUST BE A MAN THAT IS HIGHLY SELFLESS AND A GOAL GETTER TO LEAD THIS NEW CIVIL CORE IN THE FEDERATION. YOU MUST BE A MILITARY STRATEGIST OR HAVE ONE UNDER YOU AND SHOULD TREAT THIS AS IF WE ARE AT WAR. THE KIDS THAT WILL BE ADMITTED WILL BE PAID A STIPEN THAT THEY WILL SHARE WITH THEIR PARENTS.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by emmydee(m): 5:56pm On Dec 13, 2006
my brother, u try for this topic o. however, if i should be the president of this nation tomorrow, i will ensure we have:
uninterupted power supply
watertight border control
social security number
national ID card
private sector participation in road building and maintenance
affordable housing
good healthcare delivery system
well equiped & good educational environment
good legal systems to try all cases in a very short time.
independent judiciary
strict implementation of court order

etc.

1 Like

Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by Backslider(m): 6:20pm On Dec 13, 2006
THIS IS THE BEST WAY GO TO THE GREATNESS IF YOU USE THE NORMAL DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM YOU WILL FAIL BECAUSE YOU WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH

POLITICIANS
AND GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS THAT ARE PRESSURED INTO CORUPTION.

EMMYDEE I AM HAPPY THAT YOU DID NOT SAY LIKE SOME NIGERIAN IF I WAS THE PRESIDENT I WILL ALSO EAT THE MONEY.

IF YOU GO THROUGH MY MODULE I BELEIVE YOU WILL SUCCED IN LESS THAN 2 YEARS. YOU WILL CREATE A GREAT CORE OF NIGERIANS EVEN AFTER YOU LEAVE POWER YOUR WORK WILL NEVER DIE.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by BigB11(m): 7:21pm On Dec 13, 2006
@Backslider

I truly admire and respect your positive spirit, but your agenda reminds me of IRAQ war agenda. It looks good and sounds good on the paper, but the execution is the deadly challenging part.

How to move Nigeria to greatness in 2 years effectively and efficiently will be cleaning up the corrupt system and corrupt culture. If we are successful in accomplishing these two goals (in-corruptness of the system and culture), 90% of our problem will be solved immediately.

FYI: corruption problem in Nigeria is not only encircled by the politicians, but everyone is involved; starting from the police men to airport officials; even an ordinary gate man is corrupt.

Hence, corruption in Nigeria is much bigger than the politicians. Our problems must be attacked from the root and then all other good recommendation you've listed will follow.

This is one of my reasons why I think IBB will be perfect to come back and correct things. He's desperate for success and can not afford to mess up. He's under the eyes of the world. He can not steal, he will not steal and other big wig officials will think twice before stealing as well.
Nigeria needs an iron man, a tough and highly respected character to stop the craziness and move the country forward unitedly.
Nigeria is a very very difficult country. At this time, I can not see anyone else who is capable of handling Nigeria effectively and competently; I will continue to do my research, may be there is someone else out there, but for now IBB is the man.

May God bless Nigeria.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by sbucareer(f): 2:57pm On Dec 15, 2006

@Big B1, I never liked IBB and lots of them. They all sound the same but after conducting informal research particularly IBB eight year reign, I must admit he has a style and he is a brave man.

I never knew the world wanted to give him the post of Koffi Annan (UN Secretary General) he failed because he annulled MKO Abiloa controversial presidential wins. If he had just handed over to MKO he was a capable candidate for UN Secretary General. Like I said it is informal research and speculative argument I came about.

Wheather it is true or not, I have also come to look at his reign, Nigeria in the light of difficult periods we were going through both democratic and military dictatorship experiments, he provided stable and growing economy.

He introduced many schemes to encourage us as a nation to be productive not a nation of bloody consumers. He showed this trend by initiating

1. SAP (Structural Adjustment Program) Although it was not a success
2. WAI (War Against Indiscipline)
3. He banned importation of foreign goods (Aba boys made very serious money by been creative) Remember made in Aba

He introduced many policies like that, many worked for a while and some did not work. One thing I believe in life we change ever day over period of years. I hope now he will mean well for Nigeria.

All these people (Incumbents) are eligible candidate, but once mandate is give to them people change. IBB, is probably not the best leader we are looking for but he has got style. He is the only president so far by large that did not run away from his country after rule. Also remember he handed over power without argument to the transition government before General Abacher took us into deep recession and nothing in the foreign reserve.

I will look forward to see how Nigeria unfolds herself this time to produce a credible leader that do not represent interest (Indirect Rule).

Lets give IBB one more chance, he cannot ruin Nigeria more than it is already ruined. I have this feeling he will rule well this time.

Listen, I particularly is not asking them not to take some money (Who will not?) but do some work for Christ sake. ie.
Build uninterrupted power supply
watertight border control
social security number
national ID card
private sector participation in road building and maintenance
affordable housing
good healthcare delivery system
well equipped & good educational environment
good legal systems to try all cases in a very short time.
independent judiciary
strict implementation of court order

etc.

Importantly unify that country. Make laws and abolish tribalism and ethnicity. Pump money in schools and research. Give our federal contracts to credible Nigeria contractors, make a law for that.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by buchio7(m): 3:17pm On Dec 15, 2006
I BELIEVE THAT THE BEST WAY TO START RE-INVENTING/RE-ENGINEERING THE COUNTRY IS TO MAKE THE CENTER AS UNATTRACTIVE AS POSSUIBLE THAT MEANS MAKING PUBLIC SERVICE AS UNATTRACTIVE IN TERMS OF UNAVAILABILITY OF EMBEZZLEABLE MONEY. THIS WILL DISEMPHASIS THE DO AND DIE ATTITUDE OF POLITICIANS THAT ARE KILLING FOR THE SAKE OF GETTING INTO PUBLIC OFFICE AND WILL AID IN BRINGING IN MAINLY PPL WHO HAVE THE WILL,VISION AS WELL AS THE ENERGY TO OFFER PEOPLE CENTRIC SERVICE.

I BELIEVE THAT THE EARLIER MENTIONED POINTS BY OTHER PPL IS STILL VALID BUT IF YOU DONT TACKLE CORRUPTION WHICH IS BEGOTTEN BY PPL WHO FEEL THERE IS AN UNENDING SUPPLY OF PUBLIC FUNDS TO STEAL THEN YOU WILL STILL SEE THE FAILURE OF THE EARLIER STATED VALID POINTS,
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by egbon(m): 4:59pm On Dec 15, 2006
1) Nigeria is over 46 years old and yet basic ammenties like water, electricity, telephone are not available to everyone. Is this too difficult to implement? This has been promised by almost every regime but has not been brought to fruition.

2) WAI - which was established by the Buhari regime should be re-enacted. This is an avenue which the government can rigourously fight corruption and maintain certain things we've implemented. This has worked in Singapore, making them the cleanest and less corrupt country in the world.

3) Revamp the police force. If these folks are armed and paid regularly we will see a drastic reduction in bribery and their collaborative efforts with armed bandits.

4) Improve Nigeria's macroeconomics situation, particularly the area of inflation and GDP per capita.

5) EFCC should investigate (Atiku, Buhari, IBB, OBJ & other cohorts) and indict these folks if found guilty of public funds misappropriation. I specifically mentioned these folks, because they are either in office or fighting to get back into political office.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by Backslider(m): 6:32pm On Dec 20, 2006
Yes You All have good contribution.

The way to go by it is the problem and the attitude towards corruption. In Secular leadership A leader can be Corrupt but he MUST HAVE THE LOVE OF HIS PEOPLE AT HEART.

The fact is true that we dont have real policitian in Africa we have ENTERPRISE POLITICIANS. POLITICS IS THE ONLY WAY to make quick money so it becomes rougher.

The way to go about this is to give powers to the state to manage their resources and only pay to the Federal coffers some percentage we must have a Federal Police service and The state police service. The Federal police service will have a lot of work to do.

They shall move to state by state and setup a State police service that will be mounted by the citizens of the state. this means that if you were born in the state you are a citizen of that state you can naturalise under the law of that state.

so that if there is a problem in a state you shall hold the state governor responsible. you will also have this State have prisons and courts so that there will be the sense of readdress to lawlessness. This system will protect the old and young.

To solve Nigerians problem on power

Let us Use the way we sold the GSM LICENSES.

The government should map out areas where 20 - 30 mini refineries can be made or you can start with 10 or 15 sell the licenses to refine crude oil if one license go for 50 million dollars imagine how much money we shal make the state will be paid some amount where the refinery is located.

You can apply this in Lagos State transport system in a year lagos will be like Europe when you talk of transportation Just sell licenses and set the standard that you must provide 1000 buses that are airconditioned and you must provided maintenance for this buses from the company you bought the buses from, Congestion from our roads will be gone we will interact more Jobs will be created. We can secure our old will live longer because it will be orderly. and to do this there will be a transport police set up.

No more Agbero salaries will be paid A bus driver is worth thousand because he has a good job and he can access loans.
We should build room and kitchen for young men so that they can stay in the country and not hink of building big houses they may never live inside.

The State must tax house owners

I have so many things in my head.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by BigB11(m): 9:26pm On Dec 20, 2006
@ sbucareer:

Excellent post.

I admire your vision and state of mind.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by jaso1(m): 12:01am On Dec 21, 2006
Guys, idiagbon has proffered better solution to the development of this nation before he was eliminated. Truth is bitter, until all these criminals parading in the corridor of power die b4 the country can be progress if not my brother and sister 4get. they are not ready to leave that's why you see them substituting themselves with their family for the looting secret to not bust out.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by Backslider(m): 7:30am On Dec 24, 2006
This is the mistake Nigerians make all the time. There is a different between leader and ruler. and there 2 types of leaders. A leader that is corrupt but has the love of his people at heart he is one that is ready to move the people beyond his own personal desire.

That is the difference between mobutu and Hitler. I will rather be ruled by hitler than a mobutu reason is that mobutu had no vision he felt he was superior to his peope and he never thought of his people being great hence you see that they are fighting themselves. On the hand look at Germany that was lead by a wicked Hitler but they are powerfully United.

We need a leader that will set the right structures because he has it as his PERSONAL AGENDA TO MAKE HIS PEOPLE GREAT NOT HIMSELF Even if he was or is an armed robber! I prefer to be ruled by an armed Robber that has the love for Nigeria than a pastor or Cleric that has no love for Nigeria as a united state. To much book has killed Nigeria we need a practicalist I have stated what we must do it is however pertinent that one man does these not assisted by THE UN US SOME PHONY NGO.

To make the the Civil Service and the political ruling class responsive I say they must work for 4 years without any physical pay this will bring in the sacrifice culture that nigeria should imbibe it must start from the top. Our secondary school leaver should be given pratical use of there Education they must serve Nigeria for 6 months or a year. We are at a state of War and we must fight on all sides I am outside Nigeria and I know what i am saying.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by ayanfe(m): 10:54pm On Dec 24, 2006
We dont need leaders. We need clever private enterprises.

I cannot promise you two years, but I can guarantee you, that in 4-6 years, I will make Nigeria as attractive as Hong Kong or South Korea, through key and targetted private enterprises and projects.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by jesuseun1(m): 4:29pm On Dec 27, 2006
I am glad that we guys are discussing about our dear country,it shows that we still hope

and believe in Nigeria inspite of the mess the country is passing thru now.I love all the

contributions,but I will want us to see beyond what we might be passing thru right now.Let

us see Nigeria say 2020.where do will see Nigeria?not what we see outside but what we see

inside,this we determine our passsion to contribute positively to the Nigeria of our dream we

all yearn for,my fellow compatriots let us arise like calebs and joshua to see the Good about Nigeria,it will determine where our dear nation will be some years down the line say 2020.remember the picture determine the future

I can see

Nigeria becomining great again,what do u see?
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by Jaybaba(m): 5:25pm On Dec 27, 2006
First, for Nigeria to get forward in a democracy, we must have political parties with STRONG IDEOLOGIES and PRINCIPLES, then CREDIBLE elections.

The private sector cannot participate in anything for the good of Nigeria but for profit making sake. Do not ever forget that principle from capitalism. For the sake of Profit only.

The government must become responsible to the people by embarking on honest developmental projects. To start with, our newly elected govt (cause any PDP led govt will neva do it) should build power generation houses or dams or whatever enough to generate 5 times what we need now. With that done, have the refineries fixed and upgraded. Build another two to refine DPK and another for just PMS.

Begin resucitation of federal roads nationwide. Restructure the police such that they are responsible and committed to the protection of lives and property. Equip them. Improve agriculture by researching into improved seedlings, providing farmers with these seedlings at a highly subsidized rate, as well as fertilizers and machinery as well as training. This will create food boom and end the importation of rice. Begin work on the railways. Ensuring that the speed is fast enough to compete with what obtains in Europe. This will enhance & facilitate inter-state movement of people and goods. The FG can begin with Lagos-Abuja, Lagos-Onitsha. Abuja-Onitsha

In summary, if this is done, this is the picture of what you'll get for a Nigeria

Leaders with principle and spirit of fair competition in various elected offices like we have in Europe & America.
Stable & uninterrupted power supply which will ensure industrialisation and productivity
Motorable road network within the country
Refineries to ensure our local demand for petroleum products are met & exceeded
Improved police force with infrastructure to protect lives & combat crimes
An improved agricultural scheme that mass produces foods for internal consumption & good storage to prevent waste
A fast working railway network that can take people to one geo-zone and back same day

With this done, the economy would jump and bloom, private sector participation would then be noticed. This is what everyone calls an enabling environment. The private sector can now contribute its quote of social responsiblity by assisting in funding education, healthcare, etc. These are the brief of the state governments.

The FG can do these as projects.
On the issue of corruption, it will die gradually when people are less frustrated by the unavailability of these goodies above and more policies can be introduced to reduce it even further. Example,
Schemes to encourage working people own their own homes, cars & pay gradually for these neccesities which have become luxuries.
Even in the super capitalist worlds, they grew by government's creating the prevaling enabling environment. The US govt built & financed the railroads which connected America. The US govt provided lots and lots of facilities nationwide that promoted proactivity to work and not to redundancy. I disagree that we must sell all our parastatals for them to work.

When this enabling environment has been put in place, an equitable tax system must be put in place to control the economy. When we get to this level, we can begin to discuss privatisation and deregulation, we cannot jump the line or put the cart before the horse like we are doing now.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by sbucareer(f): 11:37pm On Dec 27, 2006

I believe in democracy and advocate for the rule of law. First, Nigeria constitution is written by the old rulers that brought the country and economy to muddle.

Nigerian do not have a good constitutional structure. We need to sit down and come up with a good written constitution. You cannot build a house without a good foundation, the structure will fall if erected.

We need a sound Parliament, congress or National political gathering system. Then we need to think how we select members or cabinet, thus ministers. We need to think how the powers are shared and their correlation to each other i.e.

1. The Legislative
2. The Executive
3. The Judiciary

We need a new police state. We need a new Air/Marine/arm force legislature and how they interact with the ruling council members of the executives.

We need a monarchy, IMO. I said this because of the multi ethnicity of Nigeria. Naturally Monarch do not need to come from Nigeria. We can have a monarch to unite Nigeria. We need a constitutional monarch laws to keep the monarch in check.

We need to define laws relating to voting like First-past-post, Proportional Representation etc. How do cabinets get elected and how do we elect local ministers that will form the majority ruling party.

The oppositions party, should have an office in the national assembly and get paid. They would help to keep the ruling party in check. We will have the King/Queen loyal oppositions, the least party in the house.

These are the things we need to concentrate before jumping into how to fix Nigeria. Nigeria needs a good and sound grounded and structural government system.

The issue of transparency will be achieved. Not all local political party MUST be the same party of the ruling party.

One thing I have observed and notice is that everybody respects law if properly administered. You see all these bad boys in Nigeria when they travel abroad they become chickens, because if they don't there is jail waiting for them.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by Backslider(m): 8:22am On Dec 29, 2006
@ jaybaba and Subcareer.

There is no constitution that is perfect in the world. We ust work with the window we have so as to get the door. The kingmaking process may be flawed but we must take our chances.

A good leader can make Nigeria great in 2 years I tell you But he must be Organic In action.

THE PEOPLE MUST BE THEIR OWN POLICE
THEY MUST BUILD THEIR OWN ROADS
THEY PLANT THEIR OWN FOODS
SOW AND WEAR THER OWN CLOTHES

THIS LEADER MUST JUST WORK WITH A CORE YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN ( 10MILLION) HE MUST DIRECT THIS CORE WITH ALL HIS MIGHT AND THIS WILL BE HIS LEGACY

You see CORESM is very powerful in building a united state they will be loyal to the state and only that alone will be the driving force of a new Nigeria

Listen carefully You motice that the core of Nigerian is dejected, they are greedy, very insolent, arrogant, feel there is no hope, some think of making money quickly and some move into violent crime because of social insecurity.

SOCIAL SECURITY

HOUSING
I asked a guy here in Ghana that if all of outside Naija had houses in Nigeria with 24 hours light would we leave our country?

If the people could build houses in groups or you can use this CORE people SYSTEM. we need to build hundred story building with simple apartments this will stop corruption. People must own Houses not land per se. An 18 year old is thinking of buying land and building a house that is not right. The housing loan must be put in place one of the greatest reason for corruption is Africa is housing.

A man works for decades and is thrown out when he retires his ingenuity will make him steal. The right thing is while he works you take money out of his salary to build more houses like in a mortgage.

You see all this Ideas if the leader has not the love for his people to be great forget it! The love must be there he ust dream his people think his people and act jis people only then shall he make them great with Gods help. There are Flaws in King making The Issue should be about making the people great wether Flaws or no Flaws.

WE Succeeded with the GSM

WHy not use the style for creating more Refineries
Why not use the Style for Creating TRANSPORT SERVICE IN NIGERIA
You can make Naija Great so easily The asset we have is the people and Number
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by sbucareer(f): 10:08am On Dec 29, 2006
backslider:
one of the greatest reason for corruption is Africa is housing.

I like your thinking, is there any research to back your argument? If not, can you conduct a formal research on this, I will get someone to pay you for your effort.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by nazzyon(m): 2:18pm On Dec 29, 2006
The same story.

Youths care for a better future but the elders are really giving us a tough time. If youths can have something to do it would have worked well but how?

In myy own opinion youths can start their own way of making Nigeria improve by plannning an organisation that guides and encourages the youths and educate them. Through this we can hope for a better future.

I am most interested in the line of technology; I seldom move around so i know littl, not because my parent are rich. because right now I only have my mother and she caters for my sisters. i fend for myself. So all my life I think of a way of improving technology, somettimes I mail companies about i deas.

But had it been that youths can have a kind of union for kid engineers, and under thae same union their can be some other organizations which will be doing stufffs for youths, working towards a better tomorrow or even the presnt moment. i believe it would works well, for the youths.

Sometimes ago i asked an elderly person if i can find any kind of institute that deals with knowledgeable or helps educate kid. The man said that would always remain in my dreams. But i feel it will be good if such kind of institute is been created. It is just a matter of determination.

I am planning to created a kind of forum someday to help youths. Instead of having people going around discussing about marital life. it will help in developing the country.

NOTE:
Nigeria may be rich as they say, but Rome was not built in a day. So about making Nigeria a great country in 2 years is impossible. It has to started gradually and not once. It is just like going to Ajegunle today and tell everyone that you want to tuurn Ajegunle to the best Area by constructing knew houses the next day. Things don't work that way.

pardon me it is just my opinion.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by toshmann(m): 5:52pm On Dec 29, 2006
Big B1:

How to move Nigeria to greatness in 2 years effectively and efficiently will be cleaning up the corrupt system and corrupt culture. If we are successful in accomplishing these two goals (in-corruptness of the system and culture), 90% of our problem will be solved immediately.

FYI: corruption problem in Nigeria is not only encircled by the politicians, but everyone is involved; starting from the police men to airport officials; even an ordinary gate man is corrupt.

Hence, corruption in Nigeria is much bigger than the politicians. Our problems must be attacked from the root and then all other good recommendation you've listed will follow.

[b]in summary, nigeria's problems will neverbe solved
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by McKren(m): 11:12pm On Dec 31, 2006
Backslider I absolutely agree with u. In fact you have been thinking what I have been thinking. During my service year (NYSC) I was told the very essence of that excersize was to integrate Nigeria and I wondered what a waste of time. How 20year olds and over who have learnt a particular way of life and religion all their life will drop their religion merely because they went for service one year only our leaders will know.

Then I was a Mathematics teacher at a primary school in Sokoto and my students where doing well only in Hausa Language, Arabic studies and Islamic Religous Studies; and I began to wonder that at the age 21 some of my students will go for service in christain south and people will expect them to integrate overnight, we are not a very serious nation was my conclusion.

If we seriously want to build a secular society, we have to abolish subjects like Christain Religous Knowledge, Islamic Religous studies, Hausa social studies or Igbo people and culture etc. from our our primary schools and secondary schools. Then replace them with History of Nigeria pre and post independence or courses like the Nigerian Dream where people are thought to put national interest first. People who want to learn about Religion should do those in Churches and Mosques and not in our schools.

Another vital thing you mentioned is putting priority on place of birth no matter the language you speak.

Though before this can be done there needs to be sincerety from those in power. People will not think Nigeria when the leaders are thinking of themselves.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by OLadi(m): 6:47pm On Jan 01, 2007
My Opinion might not be accepted by everyone, but for Nigeria to become a great nation again, we need dedicated leaders, and like someone said, make the political positions unattractive, and only vision oriented individuals will aspire such positions.

My first suggestion is all elected leaders or individuals occupying appointed positions, must not be allowed to have their immediate family living outside Nigeria, not even on vacations during their tenure. In return we will see advancement In Nigeria
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by kimba(m): 9:45am On Jan 02, 2007
@poster,

forget 2-years. Its not possible. Even, a 20years plan is not feasible, with the way Nigeria is going. If you go abroad to Europe and America, you see simple-things(policies, goals) working - as if its all a childs play or some movie. But in nigeria, things dont work. Simple things dont work - that is the problem.

If you want to stand out as a saint, ull be hated and eliminated. Soon, ull become everyones enemy.

Yes, the government is to blame, Yes the people are to blame.

But if I become Nigerias president, the first law I will pass is :
- the immediate ban of and arresting of all touts, agberos and social miscreants all around the country. Let them go find something worthwhile to do. They are a force on their own presently and even policemen are becoming agberos. I cant still understand why someone will just wake up in the morning, go and block the road and start collecting money from every car that passes by. before anyone tells me that such thugs are poor, let me tell you something: poverty cannot be eradicated by violence. They have become a nuisance to the society.

- I will have all known corrupt politicians sentenced to death by public hanging. The remaining politicians will have to reform or die by public hanging too.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by McKren(m): 6:06pm On Jan 02, 2007
Tinapa Ready for Business
From Ernest Chinwo in Calabar, 01.02.2007

Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment

The major contractor to the N45 billion ($350 million) Tinapa Business Resort, Calabar, Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, has commenced the handing over process of the complex where shop fit-outs would now begin. The official opening of the complex has been fixed for March.
The handing over of the major construction milestone followed the completion and handing over of Emporium B with its line shops and ancilliary facilities to the Cross River State Government by Julius Berger.
Already, Asian retail and wholesale giant, Flamingo and South Africa’s Shoprite have taken up shops at the Resort and ready for business.
At the symbolic handing over ceremony of the completed portion of the shopping area Sunday, the Project Manager of Julius Berger, Mr. Artur Wagner, said the completion of the section was in keeping with the work programme of the contract.
He said according to the contract, Emporium B with its line shops and ancilliary facilities are through.
He expressed satisfaction with the efforts of the company and its sub-contractors to meet the target date for the completion of the entire project and assured that the project commissioning deadline would be met.
The Technical Adviser, Tinapa Business Resort Lim-ited, Mr. Daniel Ologunleko, expressed satisfaction with the speed and quality of work done in the project.
He said the construction companies had adhered to the terms of their contracts and assured that the project would be completed on schedule.
Receiving the Work Completion Certificate and the key to the Emporium, Governor Donald Duke of Cross River State described the event as symbolic in the attainment of the goals of the Tinapa Business Resort.
Duke said since the contract for the project was signed on January 14, 2005, this was the first handing over of any section of the project to the government.
He expressed satisfaction that the contractors were able to deliver the milestone on schedule, as their failure to do so would have attracted penalties in accordance with the terms of the contract.
He said the Tinapa Business Resort project is basically private sector driven and that the state government only conceived and promoted it, and also provided the necessary infrastructure for its take off.
He disclosed that the project is being funded by private concerns and institutional investors like the ECOWAS Regional Development Fund.
Duke described the project as unique and first of its kind anywhere in the world as it provides a Free Zone for both business and leisure.
He said the essence of the project was to drive traffic into Calabar for the economic resurgence of the state.
The governor said the project had so far provided employment for thousands of Nigerians but noted that his joy lied in the skills acquired by the employees through their involvement in the project.
"The joy is not just in their employment but actually in the skills they have acquired which will remain with them for the rest of their lives," he said.
He expressed optimism that the project would be commissioned on March 31, as scheduled, considering the extent of work done on the project.
After a tour of the project, the Director-General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, Professor Dora Akunyili, who witnessed the ceremony, described the project as one of the best things to happen in Nigeria.
"I am very excited. I have never seen anything like this before. Governor Duke has written the name of Cross River, and by extension Nigeria, on the map of the world," she said.
THISDAY checks reveal that out of the N45 billion cost of the project, the Cross River State Government provided N13 billion while private concerns and institutional investors provided N32 billion.
On completion, the project would have emporia, movie theatre and studios, restaurants, a 300-bedroom hotel, a lake and recreational facilities with an independent water and power plant.

THAT IS HOW TO MAKE A NATION GREAT, RESPONSIBLE LEADERSHIP
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by OLadi(m): 8:07pm On Jan 02, 2007
@ Kimba

Dont forget the state of our prisons, we first need to build more prisions, and make sure the public is aware of it, we have a long way my brother, in fact, all the ministeries in Nigeria should start working 24hrs to catch up for the years we have lost undecided
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by ezeagu(m): 7:50pm On Oct 05, 2010
4 years later.
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by dotcomnamename: 11:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
7 years later grin
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by tck2000(m): 11:59am On Dec 02, 2019
13 years later
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by Arda1000(m): 12:42pm On Dec 02, 2019
Nigeria can never work
Re: How We Can Make Nigeria A Great Nation In 2years: Contribute Positively by Bobby95(m): 11:15pm On Jun 14, 2020
14 yrs later.... Same Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

Army Rescues 801 Persons In Borno From Boko Haram / Breaking News! PMB / OSINBAJO Releases Another Package For Nigerians. / Nuremberg: Chinua Achebe Predicted Ekweremadu’s Attack Before His Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.