Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,371 members, 7,829,948 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 - Sports (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 (23114 Views)

Poll: Who Grabs The Three points?

Nigeria: 83% (20 votes)
Tahiti: 8% (2 votes)
Draw: 8% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

Spain Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (10 - 0) On 20th June 2013 / Echejile Disqualified As First Goal Scorer Against Tahiti / Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by saworoide: 7:50am On Oct 02, 2009
The boys played better against Venezuela and Spain but they lost. The performance against Tahiti was poor but they got close to the desired result. However, if we do advance, they need to do something drastic as there are no Tahitis left in the round of 16. I just hope they do not take us further only to disgrace country big time against a more serious opposition.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by FBS: 7:50am On Oct 02, 2009
slimshay:

And i will simply repeat myself, Venezuela had space to play against Tahiti in their (tahiti's) third, Nigeria did not.
You folks make me laugh honestly. Answer the question, how come Venezuela had the space to play against Tahiti and Nigeria did not? Because they came out more determined against us? mehnnnnnnnn, I rest my case.
If you are ready to label failure a wonderful display simply because they beat Tahiti, na you sabi. I rest my case.

saworoide:

The boys played better against Venezuela and Spain but they lost. The performance against Tahiti was poor but they got close to the desired result. However, if we do advance, they need to do something drastic as there are no Tahitis left in the round of 16. I just hope they do not take us further only to disgrace country big time against a more serious opposition.
Thank you. This is what I've been saying all along.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by slimshay(m): 8:09am On Oct 02, 2009
FBS:

You folks make me laugh honestly. Answer the question, how come Venezuela had the space to play against Tahiti and Nigeria did not? Because they came out more determined against us? mehnnnnnnnn, I rest my case.
If you are ready to label failure a wonderful display simply because they beat Tahiti, na you sabi. I rest my case.
Thank you. This is what I've been saying all along.
Dude stop mixing it up, i said space in final third to score, they did not come out more determioned against us, they stayed back more determined if there ever is anything like that. We did not put in a wonderful performance, no.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by FBS: 8:19am On Oct 02, 2009
slimshay:

Dude stop mixing it up, i said space in final third to score, they did not come out more determioned against us, they stayed back more determined if there ever is anything like that. We did not put in a wonderful performance, no.
You just said it. Thanks.

Came out more determined. . .stayed back more determined.
Are you saying they didn't do same against Venezuela?
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by naso2(m): 8:25am On Oct 02, 2009
@FBS

Consistency is key here. When they lost you never said they played well, you had every reason to explain that since they did not score they were woeful. You only blamed the ref a bit thats all.

Now they have managed 5 goals past TAHITI and by your assessment , that is the worst performance (May be worse than losing). Someone came now to say they played well against spain and venezuela , but yeterday they played badly and you are saying that is what you expect people to say. HOW?
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by TexMex: 8:26am On Oct 02, 2009
@ FBS

You are missing the point. We are not saying NIGERIA played well against TAHITI, what we are saying are as follows:

1. Goals of 20-0 or 50-0 will not make any difference to our cause. Our objective is to qualify for the next round, and for that they needed a win of 5-0 minimum.

2. In football, if your opponent decide to place all their men in front of goal, there's no way you can score. When BARCELONA played against CHELSEA during the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Semi-finals in April/May 2009, the match ended in a goalless draw. We all saw clearly that BARCELONA came out to play football, but CHELSEA was defending right, left, center therefore not given room for BARCA to penetrate. I remember PEP GUARDIOLA (Barca's coach) was dismissive of CHELSEA's performance saying they played negative football.

Hope you get the point now. TAHITI did not come to lose that match. Their goal was to frustrate NIGERIA and damage our qualification credentials. They fought dirty.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Sagamite(m): 8:30am On Oct 02, 2009
adebayo201:

I'm just confused earlier yestaday i fail 2 listen 2 wat d outcum of d matches wuld b bt my so cald dude telz me 9ja unda 20, need 7goals 2 qualify. I shout nd screamd where d goal go cum 4rm? I dnt kno i'v competent nd reliable commentatorz nd analyists in #l. I'm naw cleard wat iz actualy goin on bt wait a moment, WEN WIL 9JA SPORT XPECIALY FUTBAL STOPS AND GET ITSELF OUT OF THIS MAThEMATics qualification. 1 tym, it iz head_2_head dat make d SE nt 2 particepat in FIFA2006 ie KJ. Naw again luk at wat iz goin on cry wen wil diz stops. England goes tru, Brazil continues 2 cum 2 d world cup wit ease. Argentina/Australia bt 9ja cool i cnt shout. I just tank God 4 d lyf of diz boyz. Al dey nid iz support. THE ROAD TO SUCCESS IS STIL UNDA CONSTRUCTION and NO 1 CAN LEARN FRM SUCCESS XCEPT FRM Mr failure. grin

This guy abeg write in English.

What is with this lazy text grammar?

Very, very bad and disgusting habit if you are writing a long post.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by FBS: 8:52am On Oct 02, 2009
TexMex:

@ FBS

You are missing the point. We are not saying NIGERIA played well against TAHITI, what we are saying are as follows:

1. Goals of 20-0 or 50-0 will not make any difference to our cause. Our objective is to qualify for the next round, and for that they needed a win of 5-0 minimum.

2. In football, if your opponent decide to place all their men in front of goal, there's no way you can score. When BARCELONA played against CHELSEA during the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Semi-finals in April/May 2009, the match ended in a goalless draw. We all saw clearly that BARCELONA came out to play football, but CHELSEA was defending right, left, center therefore not given room for BARCA to penetrate. I remember PEP GUARDIOLA (Barca's coach) was dismissive of CHELSEA's performance saying they played negative football.

Hope you get the point now. TAHITI did not come to lose that match. Their goal was to frustrate NIGERIA and damage our qualification credentials. They fought dirty.

Any difference from saying that was our worst performance till date? Forget the scoreline abeg. It was more than expected.
You are clearly missing the point. Chelsea and Barca and two completely different clubs (no need to go into details) but I make it bold to say that playing for clubs is not the same as playing for your national team. Swimming is NOT necessarily the same as Deep sea diving. Do you understand what I mean?

na_so:

@FBS

Consistency is key here. When they lost you never said they played well, you had every reason to explain that since they did not score they were woeful. You only blamed the ref a bit thats all.

Now they have managed 5 goals past TAHITI and by your assessment , that is the worst performance (May be worse than losing). Someone came now to say they played well against spain and venezuela , but yeterday they played badly and you are saying that is what you expect people to say. HOW?
Apparently you did not follow or read my previous posts and in that case I demand an apology. cool grin
If anything, I believe I'm one of the few (or maybe many) who still want this boys to progress and show the world the very best in them because in case you don't know, last night maybe the end of the road for most of them. However, that is not to say that I'm impressed with their performance and being the person that I am, I call a spade a spade.
You will agree with me that on the overall balance of play our first two matches were "better" but we "lost" and against Tahiti we just had to win.
Winning by 20 goals would have settled a lot of nerves because by winning THAT BIG, you are setting a record. And if by chance they do not progress, there will be something positive to remember. As it stands, I'm afraid, the future looks bleak for the FE.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by tocdee(m): 9:56am On Oct 02, 2009
I'll agree with FBS, a conversion rate of 10% (over 3 matches) spells disaster against any decent team these guys play against.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Borat1: 10:15am On Oct 02, 2009
venezuela and spain did not play tahiti under pressure, we did
so i'd take that as reason for desperation shown by the boys yesterday
IMHO those guys will beat anybody, but we'll have to go through first
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by FBS: 10:32am On Oct 02, 2009
Nigeria striker Stanley Ohawuchi is in good enough state of health and shape to start today’s Nigeria’s final group match that will decide whether the Flying Eagles will be going further in the. FIFA Under-20 World Cup of Egypt 2009 tournament or returning home empty handed and frustrated.
The technical crew members of the team have confirmed that virtually nothing was wrong with the Bayelsa United ace, who went down clutching his side in the second period of Monday's 0-2 defeat to Spain at the Al Salam Stadium.
Nigeria needs to score plenty of goals against a side that has conceded 16 goals in two matches to stand any chance of progressing to the Round of 16. And Head Coach Samson Siasia has again drummed it into the ears of his strikers that only the team that puts the ball in the net wins matches, and not the one that controls possession only.
"Football is a ruthless business and when you get your chances, you put them away. Spain and Venezuela, who are also in our group, have shown that. They have each put eight goals past Tahiti, and we should be able to do the same if we are serious enough and want to remain in this competition", said Samson Siasia.
The former World Cup star has already labeled the ongoing fiesta in Egypt as his 'worst tournament', after the Flying Eagles controlled ball possession in the matches against Venezuela and Spain only to throw away those games. Presently, Nigeria have no point, have scored no goal and conceded three.
The only chance for the team to progress rests on being able to emerge as one of the four best third-placed teams in the six groups, and they will not know their fate until after Saturday's conclusion of the group phase games
Siasia and the rest of the team were horrified upon learning that a sports radio station back home had began broadcasting news that striker Ohawuchi had passed on.
But the team has picked itself up and showed some spirit at training inside the Petro Sports Stadium in Cairo on Wednesday.
Already, FIFA has ruled that midfielder Lukman Haruna will miss two games for his red card offence against Venezuela (meaning he misses today’s match in addition to the game against Spain that he sat out), and striker and Captain Odion Ighalo is ruled out after being cautioned in the two previous matches.
Another red card boy, Gbolahan Salami, will miss today’s game, while it is not certain that goalkeeper Dele Ajiboye has fully recovered from a sprained wrist.
However, Siasia believes he has enough boys who can do the 'ruthless' job against Tahiti in order to retain hope of a place in the Round of 16.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=155887

"It is just unbelievable. I have never had strikers like these that won't score goals," Siasia told KickOffNigeria.com. "So you need the defenders to come to the front to come and score goals, I don't know what is going on with these guys, I just don't know. Things just have to change because if we get to the next round and continue like this I don't think we are going to go anywhere."
http://www.kickoff.com/static/news/article.php?id=11397

Even Siasia has admitted the obvious but you guys continue to look for excuses. Isn't it time we all lay the matter to rest and hope they can still progress?
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Nezan(m): 11:21am On Oct 02, 2009
Are we going to qualify??
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by opuro(m): 12:43pm On Oct 02, 2009
Nezan:

Are we going to qualify??
nna thats the koko question
we qualify?
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by ugbeda(m): 12:44pm On Oct 02, 2009
the truth is that our strikers are not good at all. let pray for other group to faulter, just as we are praying for the world cup, tunisia to faulter so as the Super ch------i----ck----------------------en             eagles to qualifier. God hear 9ja prayer at 49.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Digriz(m): 12:49pm On Oct 02, 2009
What a disgrace frm dis boys
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by mreds: 1:10pm On Oct 02, 2009
Even the coach is frustrated by his team. Uhm, But what is really wrong with those guys?Tell me,
I just had to conclude that the problem to naija sports in general is spiritual.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by opuro(m): 1:58pm On Oct 02, 2009
me thinks the whole issue had something to do with the sick president we have
abi,
when the head is sick!
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by sherrylo: 1:59pm On Oct 02, 2009
Are we still going through or not? pls somebody answer.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by eyonigger(m): 2:45pm On Oct 02, 2009
sherry lo:

Todays game is gonna determine if Nigeria wud be considered as part of the best losers to qualify.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Marymos: 2:51pm On Oct 02, 2009
FBS my good friend how are u 2day?Can we still make it to the next round with the 5 -0 bashing of Tahiti?What are our chances?Your normal computation will be relevant for our consumption at this critical moment.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Davedavy: 3:10pm On Oct 02, 2009
we
Marymos:

FBS my good friend how are u 2day?Can we still make it to the next round with the 5 -0 bashing of Tahiti?What are our chances?Your normal computation will be relevant for our consumption at this critical moment.

In today's match,we need Germany to beat Cameroon.we are in real deep shit  angry
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by saworoide: 3:11pm On Oct 02, 2009
sherry lo:

Marymos:

There are four places for best losers (best placed 3rd position in the groups). Group A has already produced 1 (Italy with 4 points). Nigeria in group B finished 3rd with goals difference of +2. In group D, both England and Uzbekistan have no point with goals difference of -5 and -4 respectively. Either of them need to win with a 7 goals margin to qualify ahead of Nigeria. Nigeria obviously stand a better chance.

We need one of Costa Rica, Cameroon, Hungary and USA to lose, then we would have finished ahead of at least 2 3rd placed team which is what Nigeria needs to advance.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Marymos: 3:16pm On Oct 02, 2009
My warm thank u to Sawroide and Davedavy.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by mreds: 3:29pm On Oct 02, 2009
We all would know our fate by saturday nite.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Gbawe: 3:29pm On Oct 02, 2009
sherry lo:

Hopefully we should go through. There are 6 groups. 2 qualify automatically from each group to make 12 automatic spots. of the remaining 12 teams 4 will qualify by virture of coming third in their group with the best points/goal difference aggregate to make 16 teams heading into the next round. We are one of the 12 teams fighting for the 4 places and that leave us needing better results than 8 teams. Tahiti are behind us in point so that means we must better 7 teams in result.   In group A , Trinidad and Tobago finished with 1 point so that means we need to better 6 teams.

In group C , Cameroon has 3 points , same as us , but they have a goal difference of -1 while we have a goal difference of +2 . If Germany beat Cameroon today by 1 goal or more (as expected) and the USA beat Korea (who have only 1 point) then we have to get better results than 4 teams.

In group D , Uzbekistan and England have 0 points from all their games . They play each other today with Uzbekistan having a GD of -4 and England a GD of -5.  I dont think we will see either side score more than 4 goals in this game so that will leave Nigeria needing to better 2 more teams.

In group E , Costa Rica has 3 points but a goal difference of -2. They play the Czech Republic today and I would expect the Czech Republic to win that game given that they drew with a Brazil side that walloped Costa Rica 5-0 . That result will leave us needing to better 1 more team. In the same group Australia has 0 points  , a -4 GD , and face Brazil tomorrow . I cannot see them beating Brazil let alone doing so by 6 unanswered goals. That would mean we qualify .

In group F , going by team perfomance so far  , UAE should beat Hungary and Honduras should beat South Africa. That last two result would be insurance that virtually guarantees our progress to the next round. Football is not arithmetic and some teams who have already qualified may be lethargic , performance wise , but our chances look decent. See the results and permutations here:

http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/matches/index.html
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Marymos: 3:39pm On Oct 02, 2009
@Gbawe,you are too much.U must be a football analyst.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by switchmax8: 5:49pm On Oct 02, 2009
the whole players were awful i dont know where samson siasia picked them from they cannot convinvingly win a 9 man tahiti that spain and venezuela all won 8-0.it is shame that samsom siasia was the one involve in this shameful parade of unskilled players there were playing like mtn steet soccers.this players will not go far even if they qualify maybe samson siasia just wated to help to expose to foreign scouts.Osanga played as if his legs were both left instead of right and left no accurate passes,set pieces,corner kicks,free kick they are bunck of Fuc------------k
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Davedavy: 6:26pm On Oct 02, 2009
Goal for Germany
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by noblec1(m): 6:40pm On Oct 02, 2009
It's half time germany leading cameroon 1-0 with cameroon reduced to 10 men and south korea 2 usa 0. seems things are going nigeria's way
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by OvieE: 6:44pm On Oct 02, 2009
It's like Nigeria will authomatically qualify if things stand the way it is now. That also pave way to another team to make it to round 16 ahead of USA and Cameroon depend on gaols differences.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by mreds: 6:50pm On Oct 02, 2009
definitely,naija on track as it stands, kip fingers crosd!
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Borat1: 7:02pm On Oct 02, 2009
Goal for germany!
2-0

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Siasia And Super Eagles Training At Abuja Stadium (PICS) / Mikel Obi Deletes Twitter Account After Racial Abuse / Real Madrid Named Most Valuable Brand In World Football [Top 10]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.