Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,334 members, 7,815,657 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! (1640 Views)

Switch Of Names On Certificate: Help!!!! Save A Brothers Career Urgently !!! / NPOWER Beneficiaries To Proceed On Maternity Leave / The Career Advice I Wish I Had At 25 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by funkyprof: 1:12am On Aug 26, 2016
Good Day House,

Pls I need your help in deciding how to proceed with a career in IT.
I have a B.Tech in Industrial Chemistry from 2006, from one of the universities in Nigeria and a MSc in IT & Management from a UK university from 2010.

I did the MSc IT and Management as a conversion course in moving into the IT field. Most of my courses were mostly geared to towards Management and the Managerial part of IT and not much into the technical areas like programming, networking etc.
My problem is this, most times when I go for an interview in an IT role, I am usually asked, which part of IT do you specialize in? is it hardware or software? Database, programming, web design, networking etc?

I am at a loss on what to answer, and tell them that as I have basic knowledge in database, programming and web design which I did long ago from a fundamental computer course in Aptech back in 2007. They usually answer me with things like we want someone experienced in programming , web design , networking etc. I tell them that IT is very vast, and I have not really experienced all the fields but I am willing to learn but this is a no no for them and I end up not getting the job.

Abroad like in the UK, IT is vast and you have areas like IT Governance, IT business analyst, Project Management etc that are not really too technical but a combination of management and IT. But in Nigeria, once you mention IT, most people only think of the technical areas, like programming, web designing, database etc of which IT is much more than that.

I have been looking for an entry role like IT Support, Service desk roles as a way of building up experience to no avail. Currently, I have certifications in ITIL Foundation and Prince 2 Foundation but these certifications do not really seem to be of value to the employers I meet as they seem to see them as managerial roles and want certifications in the more technical roles like programming, web design, networking etc. Also, they usually say I have no experience.

One of my greatest problems is that I don’t really know which technical certification to go for and how best I can build experience when getting such roles or internships are difficult.

My questions are:

1) What are the marketable technical certifications in IT that I can go for that has high probability of giving me a job in the Nigerian market? I ask this because I am scared of spending so much money on a certification and at the end of the day, u end up still looking for a job (like with my ITIL Foundation & Prince 2)

2) How best do I proceed to build a career in IT? I am confused at this point as I have been looking for a job since 2011? Getting internships are hard as they seem to be mostly geared towards younger people in their twenties & I am in my thirties.

3) What entry roles can I do to get my foot into the IT career industry given my educational background and my certiifications so far? A lot of people say volunteering but I have met different companies to volunteer to no avail or no career prospects & at times some will use you as a form of cheap labour without adding any value or experience to your career prospects.

I would really appreciate any advice the IT gurus & others in the house can give me as I run out of ideas on how to proceed. With the current economy now, most companies keep asking for experience with out giving a chance to newbies that want to build experience, so how do you get experience when hardly anyone gives you the opportunity to build it? This has seriously got me frustrated and depressed as I do not know how best to proceed.

A Million Thanks in advance for all your help!!!
Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by werthy(m): 1:41am On Aug 26, 2016
You are almost done,

Your mistake was basing your skills on management

Even guys in management position in telcos still have a lot of technical knowledge

I suggest you go for web programming or networking

Your main strenght for now is management

The two field above are easy path for you to follow and get your feet up

One thing is, both are easy

If you choose web programming, quickly start with an htm class and move on to advance ones. Like python

If networking... not too lucrative to me mow, start with a ccna class and and a microsoft cause

Hye pm me i will call you and give you sound knowledge in this field as it is in nigeria

Best of luck

Meanwhile, if you need any of this trainings
Reach out to me..... you cant regret it

1 Like

Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by abdeiz(m): 8:05am On Aug 26, 2016
This is the reality here in Nigeria where people holding management positions are also expected to have sound technical knowledge.
I'll advice you to have an in depth knowledge of one of the IT areas and focus on that, with your ITIL and prince2 it wouldn't be hard to get job.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by ptoall1000: 3:33am On Aug 27, 2016
You can start gathering technical skills in the area you desire asap. Watch video tutorials, buy used hardware for practice, code simple projects, volunteer in some place etc.

1 Like

Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by Intelligentdude(m): 11:27am On Aug 27, 2016
funkyprof:
Good Day House,

Pls I need your help in deciding how to proceed with a career in IT.
I have a B.Tech in Industrial Chemistry from 2006, from one of the universities in Nigeria and a MSc in IT & Management from a UK university from 2010.

I did the MSc IT and Management as a conversion course in moving into the IT field. Most of my courses were mostly geared to towards Management and the Managerial part of IT and not much into the technical areas like programming, networking etc.
My problem is this, most times when I go for an interview in an IT role, I am usually asked, which part of IT do you specialize in? is it hardware or software? Database, programming, web design, networking etc?

I am at a loss on what to answer, and tell them that as I have basic knowledge in database, programming and web design which I did long ago from a fundamental computer course in Aptech back in 2007. They usually answer me with things like we want someone experienced in programming , web design , networking etc. I tell them that IT is very vast, and I have not really experienced all the fields but I am willing to learn but this is a no no for them and I end up not getting the job.

Abroad like in the UK, IT is vast and you have areas like IT Governance, IT business analyst, Project Management etc that are not really too technical but a combination of management and IT. But in Nigeria, once you mention IT, most people only think of the technical areas, like programming, web designing, database etc of which IT is much more than that.

I have been looking for an entry role like IT Support, Service desk roles as a way of building up experience to no avail. Currently, I have certifications in ITIL Foundation and Prince 2 Foundation but these certifications do not really seem to be of value to the employers I meet as they seem to see them as managerial roles and want certifications in the more technical roles like programming, web design, networking etc. Also, they usually say I have no experience.

One of my greatest problems is that I don’t really know which technical certification to go for and how best I can build experience when getting such roles or internships are difficult.

My questions are:

1) What are the marketable technical certifications in IT that I can go for that has high probability of giving me a job in the Nigerian market? I ask this because I am scared of spending so much money on a certification and at the end of the day, u end up still looking for a job (like with my ITIL Foundation & Prince 2)

2) How best do I proceed to build a career in IT? I am confused at this point as I have been looking for a job since 2011? Getting internships are hard as they seem to be mostly geared towards younger people in their twenties & I am in my thirties.

3) What entry roles can I do to get my foot into the IT career industry given my educational background and my certiifications so far? A lot of people say volunteering but I have met different companies to volunteer to no avail or no career prospects & at times some will use you as a form of cheap labour without adding any value or experience to your career prospects.

I would really appreciate any advice the IT gurus & others in the house can give me as I run out of ideas on how to proceed. With the current economy now, most companies keep asking for experience with out giving a chance to newbies that want to build experience, so how do you get experience when hardly anyone gives you the opportunity to build it? This has seriously got me frustrated and depressed as I do not know how best to proceed.

A Million Thanks in advance for all your help!!!
I will advice you to follow the path of an IT Business Analyst.

It is actually a lucrative path and is a combination of technical (though not too deep)and non technical(business)courses.

There are lots of opportunities in this path and after your training, apply to Software Companies (with focus in enterprise,desktop applications development).

There are lots of Software Companies especially in Lagos(Emerging Platforms,L5Lab,Seamfix Nig.Limited,Coure Technologies,Exolve Technologies, AppZone etc),just take your time and compile atleast 1000 software companies.

Apply to the companies after your Business Analyst training, when invited for an interview, communicate your passion to grow as a Business Analyst in the Company(Always look out for the Major decision maker in each interview panel,make sure you impress him/her and trust me,other members of the panel won't be able to stop you from getting the job).

Success in your endeavor. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by Kaycee625(m): 6:34pm On Aug 27, 2016
Bro let me give you an honest advise, what you need is not certification, you need to go and learn those programming stuffs, and web Designing, learn it very well and be a perfectionist,
Companies want people who will do the job, not manage dem,
The good thing is your UK masters, will always get you invites for interview, so when, you learn those programming well, you will push it, as what you can do, and you will be employed

2 Likes

Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by Emmey67: 8:27pm On Aug 27, 2016
my advice op is that you concentrate on offering IT service you can offer to big companies.
Services like:
Web designing
Animation Advertisiement.
Digital Marketing
Mobile Marketing e. t. c
these ones I listed are easy to learn and implement.

get videos and a mentor on these services and Your are made you won't even work for anybody.

shalom

please IT guru in career section help with advice and way forward for IT guys in the future of Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by funkyprof: 6:33pm On Aug 29, 2016
werthy:
You are almost done,

Even guys in management position in telcos still have a lot of technical knowledge

If you choose web programming, quickly start with an htm class and move on to advance ones. Like python

If networking... not too lucrative to me mow, start with a ccna class and and a microsoft cause

Hye pm me i will call you and give you sound knowledge in this field as it is in nigeria

Best of luck

Thanks for advice werthy. I just sent u a pm. Pls do u have am email or number u can reach you on for more info
Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by funkyprof: 6:35pm On Aug 29, 2016
Intelligentdude:
I will advice you following the path of an IT Business Analyst.

It is actually a lucrative path and is a combination of technical (though not too deep)and non technical(business)courses.

There are lots of opportunities in this path and after your training, apply to Software Companies (with focus in enterprise,desktop applications development).

There are lots of Software Companies especially in Lagos(Emerging Platforms,L5Lab,Seamfix Nig.Limited,Coure Technologies,Exolve Technologies, AppZone etc),just take your time and compile atleast 1000 software companies.

Apply to the companies after your Business Analyst training, when invited for an interview, communicate your passion to grow as a Business Analyst in the Company(Always look out for the Major decision maker in each interview panel,make sure you impress him/her and trust me,other members of the panel won't be able to stop you from getting the job).

Success in your endeavor. Cheers

Thanks man. Pls do u know of any good computer school in Lagos where they offer this trainings?
Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by funkyprof: 6:37pm On Aug 29, 2016
Thanks a million house for all the insight. Pls keep them coming and may God bless you all for your time and support. Amen!!!
Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by IAmNotYourMate: 5:58am On Sep 10, 2016
werthy:
You are almost done,

Best of luck

I just pm'd u, I'll like to get professional advice on IT in Nigeria
Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by werthy(m): 7:20am On Sep 10, 2016
IAmNotYourMate:

I just pm'd u, I'll like to get professional advice on IT in Nigeria

Its not really about taking some courses and looking for an organization to work in
Its much more in creativity.....

Thats why the coding line is the best, my opinion though
Read here to get a glimps of what i'm talking about

http://disrupt-africa.com
Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by IDEALCASH(m): 6:15pm On Sep 10, 2016
In Nigeria, skill and connection are what can guarantee d desired job, get skill in web design and development, you are good to go.
Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by funkyprof: 1:26am On Sep 13, 2016
werthy:

Its not really about taking some courses and looking for an organization to work in
Its much more in creativity.....

Thats why the coding line is the best, my opinion though
Read here to get a glimps of what i'm talking about

http://disrupt-africa.com

Hi Werthy, I've just sent u a ping. Cud u pls get back to me when u see this msg.... cheers man
Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by werthy(m): 7:04am On Sep 13, 2016
funkyprof:

Hi Werthy, I've just sent u a ping. Cud u pls get back to me when u see this msg.... cheers man

Hi bro, the mail attach to this account dosnt function at all time,

Is another to reach me

I also replied your last pm via the same mail
Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by funkyprof: 5:35pm On Sep 13, 2016
werthy:

Rothimi21()gmail
Is another to reach me

Thanks for getting back to me man. I'll send us mail now. U are right, the internal mail acts up at times
Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by funkyprof: 5:43pm On Sep 13, 2016
werthy:

Rothimi21()gmail
Is another to reach me

Thanks for getting back to me man. I'll send u a mail now. U are right, the internal mail acts up at times.
Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by funkyprof: 5:47pm On Sep 13, 2016
Thanks a million Werthy,I'll send u a mail now
Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by funkyprof: 6:04pm On Sep 13, 2016
@Intelligentdude, thanks for the support, I'll holla at you now
Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by icankel: 12:02am On Sep 14, 2016
Pls as an EE Engr which of professional cert shld i go for
werthy:
You are almost done,

Best of luck

Re: Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! by werthy(m): 12:13am On Sep 14, 2016
Its easy to find the path you wan to take by the pain you feel and passion for change..... its lifetime, so what problem do see yourself before you
icankel:
Pls as an EE Engr which of professional cert shld i go for

(1) (Reply)

Expatriate Taking Nigerian Jobs And Technical Manpower Services In Exxonmobil / Which Is More Preferable Studying Biology Edu In The Uni Or SLT In The Poly. / How To Nail A Job Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.