Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,654 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

Ogidi Community Set To Elect New Traditional Ruler (Igwe) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ogidi Community Set To Elect New Traditional Ruler (Igwe) (1241 Views)

Body Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China, Lands In Lagos Airport / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig / Masquerade At Burial Of Traditional Ruler. Nnewi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogidi Community Set To Elect New Traditional Ruler (Igwe) by emerem: 2:36pm On Aug 27, 2016
THEO RAYS reports that 19 years af­ter the demise of the former traditional ruler of Ogidi community in Anambra State, the town is now ready to elect a new Igwe to fill the vacant stool.
The AUTHORITY can report authoritatively that the people of the ancient community of Ogidi in Idemili North local gov­ernment area of Anambra are set to elect new traditional ruler in an election sched­uled to hold on 27th August, 2016, at the Ogidi Town Hall, 19 years after the death of their last ruler.
The President-General of the town, Chief Chuka Onubogu, who confirmed the election to our corre­spondent, stated that the atmosphere which was hith­erto clouded with litigations is now clear for the election, adding that preparation is on top gear to ensure a hitch free election on 27th August.
Onubogu admitted that although there is still a case at Appeal Court over the Igweship stool, the election will hold as scheduled as, according to him, “there is no judgement or injunction from any court of competent jurisdiction that restrains the town union from conducting the election on the 27th of August 2016”.
As at the time of filling this report, The AUTHORITY gathered that two renowned Pharmacists are already in the race for the highly re­spectable Igwe Ogidi throne. They are Pharmacist Albert Rex Ezegbo and Pharmacist Alex Onyido.
The duo in a separate en­counter with The AUTHOR­ITY confirmed their interest in the race indicating their preparedness to revive the Igweship throne and restore its dignity as it were known for right from time if elect­ed promising to use their wealth of experiences in life and business, exposure and connections to move Ogidi to the next level and get the community rid off challenges facing it.
Onyido, who is the founder and Managing Director of Alben Medical Industries, in an encounter with The AU­THORITY South East Crew, listed his 5-point Agenda for the community which includes security, infrastruc­ture, welfare, think home and restoration of lost glory of the culture and tradition of the town noting that he is not contesting the Igweship election but the good people of Ogidi asked him to come up for the revered job.

He said “No, I am not con­testing for the Igweship posi­tion. It was the good people of the community from all parts that came to me and asked me to come out for it and I had to oblige them because of my passion to serve the people and con­tribute for the development and progress of my town. I do not know if there is other person that has got the bless­ing of the people apart from my humble self, so I am not contesting rather it is a call to serve from the people and I have accepted it”.
He said that if coroneted and enthroned, he would encourage the current secu­rity measures put in place in Anambra State by Governor Willie Obiano at Ogidi by en­acting a stringent law against kidnapping, armed robbery and cultism.
On infrastructure, he said that he would build a State of the Art equipped neutral palace which will serve as the citadel of the traditional institution in the town where himself and successive rulers of the town will hold the annual Ofala festival, hold meet­ings and do other things add­ing that he will work with the town union, the churches the women and other stakehold­ers to restore the lost glory of the cultural and traditional heritage of the town.
On his part, Pharmacist Ezegbo, the owner of the pop­ular Rex Pharmacy and Rex Chemist as well as Rex Table water, who spoke in a more political tone, told The AU­THORITY that he is contest­ing for the Igweship with the aim to correct things that are not proper in Ogidi.
“Ogidi is bent and not straight because of certain things that are not correct. I want to correct those things and make the town to be straight, and that is the reason why I have come out to seek the mandate of the good peo­ple of Ogidi to become their traditional ruler”, he said.
The renowned pharmacist said that his emergence as the ruler of Ogidi would represent a desired paradigm shift mov­ing the people from the old order to a new order at which every quarter of the commu­nity would have equal right and equal sense of belonging to the system of things and heritage of the ancient town.
He said that his enthrone­ment as Igwe Ogidi would give the community a well deserved public image be­cause, he has the personality, the education, the charisma, the experience, the exposure, the reputation and enough connection required for the throne.
He added, “Based on the quality of my person, my ca­pacity to lead Ogidi to the next level is not in doubt. I can have my way to speak to the people in government at all levels, to give attention to the needs of Ogidi town.
“I was the first person to construct road with asphalt in Ogidi. I built an industry which provided jobs for the people and also constructed a water scheme that provides water for the people. So, I have been there for the people and I see the Igweship throne as wider platform to continue what I have been doing for decades.
“Three months ago, I was in the United States and I addressed our people telling them that home is first and they bought into my idea. If I became the Igwe, I would form the branch of Ogidi un­ion in the United States and the rest of the foreign coun­tries with a view to bridging the gap between those living overseas and those at home”, he maintained.

http://www.authorityngr.com/2016/08/Ogidi-community-set-to-elect-new-traditional-ruler/
Re: Ogidi Community Set To Elect New Traditional Ruler (Igwe) by Pierocash(m): 2:40pm On Aug 27, 2016
their business,how does that stabilize our economy
Re: Ogidi Community Set To Elect New Traditional Ruler (Igwe) by emerem: 2:45pm On Aug 27, 2016
Pierocash:
their business,how does that stabilize our economy

We are here to be informed. How do you talk so unprofessional? If leadership is a personal business why do you vote for our leaders?
Talk wisely or keep calm. It is not a crime to "waka pass" jare.
Re: Ogidi Community Set To Elect New Traditional Ruler (Igwe) by Pierocash(m): 3:03pm On Aug 27, 2016
emerem:

We are here to be informed. How do you talk so unprofessional? If leadership is a personal business why do you vote for our leaders?
Talk wisely or keep calm. It is not a crime to "waka pass" jare.
ok sir.
Nxt news pls

(1) (Reply)

Ndiigbo: Post Your Christmas, New Year And Other Greetings Here / Why Africans Go By Their European Or Arab Names? / Happy International Beer Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.