Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,582 members, 7,816,432 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

When NYSC Is Over! What Next? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / When NYSC Is Over! What Next? (497 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

When NYSC Is Over! What Next? by Naughtylyn: 9:00pm On Aug 29, 2016
A few months to the end of the mandatory National Youth Service, one nagging thought that occupies the minds of most graduates is the thought about JOBS. While some of the females are suddenly conscious of their ticking biological clock and marriage, they also worry about maintaining themselves when the monthly NYSC stipend known commonly as "alawi" stops. In both cases - male or female - their anxiety is genuine.

Jobs! Jobs!! Jobs!!!

In Nigeria of today, the genuineness of that anxiety is at best more authenticated by the gloomy news of continuous job losses in thousands ; closures of international and local businesses, especially the ones with the capacity for massive absorption of candidates while local small and medium scale businesses are barely surviving the times. Most of them are reportedly cutting down salaries if they decide to retain the services of their few employees instead of outright termination of appointment. It is a sad picture really. It is not even the availability or lack of jobs alone that is threateningly scary, but the ever increasing inflation levels, rising cost of living with food, a basic necessity of life suddenly becoming a luxury in most homes. It is a bad time for all and sundry really, but mainly, to be a fresh graduate in Nigeria in practical terms.

A job like I wrote a fortnight ago is simply a task. And anyone could assign himself or herself a task!. But is it that simple? Does defining a need such as a job simply solve the unemployment and economic problems dedeviling this nation today especially for the post NYSC graduate? I wish! But yes, there is a slim or even big chance that defining a need, a situation, or circumstance does give one a better perspective which results in a paradigm shift that hits at the core of a somewhat hidden solution.

As I do always, let us take a look at the appropriate dictionary definitions of the word, JOB. According to the English dictionary extract from wikitionary.com, a job is ;
1. A task. Wow! Did you see that? Note that this is the first listed definition of a job before the second;
2. An economic role FOR WHICH A PERSON IS PAID.

TASK BEFORE MONEY!

So to the one who is full of anxiety for the future, there is no harm in being circumspect a bit really, but can I encourage you to be more TASK conscious? Be conscious of what task you feel the instinctive need to fulfill while packaging it as a worthy, rewarding economic role! In this last statement lies the actual reason you acquired education. To intelligibly package yourself into an economic role that is rewarding!
Permit me to quote from the Holy Book. Ecclesiastes 9 vs 10 says; "Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom in the grave where you are going". This means that whatever you have opportunity and ability to do in the duties of your calling, with unwearied diligence, vigour, and expedition (speed, fast, quickly), do it. You know what? Procrastination has stolen a lot from humans, especially during the time of youth. I have been privileged to speak to, train and mentor National Youth corp members through the platform of the scheme's Skills Aquisition and Entrepreneurship Development (SAED) programme and each time my message has remained; "follow your passion NOW not later, even if you have to search for that job!". Oftentimes young people pause their valid dreams or passions for that imaginary 'cool' work/environment that in their eyes or in the eye of their parents, friends, peers, society etc is 'befitting' for their education. Wow! Not a bad idea. But can we not create jobs? What are the probability that you would be among the few who land that dream job? 50:50 chance I guess! If you do nothing but hope, in five years if you look back, what could you have achieved if you did something now? So the ultimate question is;

Can you not create and package a task as a worthy, rewarding economic role?

Someone who started a mobile waste disposal business in Lagos sometime ago inscribed the statement, " Shit(faeces) business is serious business". Could you imagine such a fine innovation? He was and is still smiling to the bank! A lot of graduates would have shouted, "God forbid, it's not my portion" usual lingua of Nigeria faith crew. But faith without works, it is said, is dead. Do something!

SLOT SYSTEMS Ltd was started by a graduate who became a computer repairs technician. His name is Nnamdi Ezeigbo. Look at SLOT today. So in concluding, tell anyone who ridicules your small effort that "Graduates create jobs!"

Chukky oparandu is an Engineer, Coach, and IT Consultant. He is the Author of the first complete book on Mobile Phones and Tablets Repairs titled "Mobile Phones and Tablets Repairs : A Complete Guide for Beginners and Professionals " on sale worldwide. To purchase from Amazon marketplace visit the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/9789534116?keywords=mobile%20phones%20and%20tablets%20repairs&pc_redir=T1&qid=1463153220&sr=8-8

(1) (Reply)

Images Of Aba Main Markert(ngwa Road) After Today's Rain / Proposed Contract Farming From E.l.o Ngodo Llc. In Conjunction With Wadgy Agrico / Do You Have Scrap For Sell?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.