Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,459 members, 7,830,282 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / . (1307 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / Efik/ibibio Names And Their Meaning / Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by Nobody: 7:03am On Aug 30, 2016
Re: . by LoveMachine(m): 7:07am On Aug 30, 2016

Re: . by kernel504(m): 7:13am On Aug 30, 2016
Afonja and Sons.

2 Likes

Re: . by Emycord: 7:17am On Aug 30, 2016
Useless post where did u get it from? The people u mentioned are even more sympathetic to the biafran cause than ijaws

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 7:27am On Aug 30, 2016
Re: . by NameCheckers: 7:29am On Aug 30, 2016
I only know one ibibio girl.... She vowed to marry igbo guy.... Buh can't conclude like u tho
Re: . by menxer: 7:41am On Aug 30, 2016
So because a few Ibibios are "sympathetic" to Biafra cause means Ibibios as a people are inferior to igbos?

When did sympathy equate inferiority?

Any Ibibio person that knows history would surely laugh at this your attempt to drag Ibibios into the ethnic war going on with the tripod (yoruba, Hausa, igbo)

1 Like

Re: . by Bellzee: 7:47am On Aug 30, 2016
Stewpid Post!
Re: . by Udmaster(m): 7:52am On Aug 30, 2016
@OP, what is your motive behind this divisive thread? Ibibios are NOT Inferior, they and the Igbos have been neighbours for years. So there is a friendship between the two. Leave Ibibios alone. Mynd44 let this thread be pulled down, its insultive. Cc: Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 30, 2016
Re: . by Udmaster(m): 7:56am On Aug 30, 2016
Braden104:
The igbos include akwacross on their biafa map because Akwacross was part of the eastern region. That colonial regional classification was flawed in the first place because there are more than 3 linguistic regions in Nigeria. The British did not understand that fact when they created those regions .
you registered on August 28 2016 and this is ur 1st thread.
What is ur other moniker?
your divide and conquer tactics is DEAD on arrival.
Mynd44, Rule no.2 violated.
Re: . by attackgat: 7:57am On Aug 30, 2016
Braden104:

Kindly explain to me why most ibibio and even anang feel inferior to igbo and prefer to be slaves in Biafra instead of supporting akwa cross unity and progress which has greater potential ?

Greater potential? How? Won't they still be under Nigeria where they will have neither have control of their resources and economic life? So what potential is there? The ethnic nationalities that constitute Akwa-Cross are the closest people to the Igbos. Most of the Biafran groups have said that should Biafra be realised, the area called Akwa-Cross will become "Oyono Region" with 100% resource control. I have to admit that I don't were the word Oyono comes from or its meaning, it could be the name of a Deity in Ibibio land.
Re: . by OMAR12: 7:57am On Aug 30, 2016
stupidity, so because they are close to each other u now believe that they feel inferior to we the Igbo, let me make it clear to u I will take an awka cross man any day any time they are the most hospitable people in Nigeria, I am lucky to meet one that is loyal I don't mind paying her dowry, ur divide and rule tactics can works with the ikwerre who has lost their sense of identity, BT don't u, I mean don't u dere come close to those from awka cross and try that divide are rule between akwa cross and we the Igbo, I won't mind feasting on u. not minding if the mod has a ban somewhere. rubbish thread.
Re: . by Nobody: 8:00am On Aug 30, 2016
Braden104:
[s]I do not in anyway mean to be derogatory in anyway .I love ibibio,igbo and all tribes on earth and i believe all tribes and people have potential. In fact I am not aware of how many these individuals i've met in real life so its pointless even thinking that I hate igbo or ibibio by this thread .If there's anything I should feel,it shoould be sympathy instead . Most nasty comments i've made are just for fun and controversy and not serious. I'm actually mixed race myself .

There are numerous evidences on this forum alone to prove the fact that ibibo feel inferior to igbo ,and i'm very shocked and even disappointed .Maybe there are some things i'm not aware of .Most akwa ibom people who oppose Biafra including akwa ibom on their map seem to be the Oron People . Infact the Oron people are so autonomic they would prefer to be autonomous citystate nation and unlikely to form akwacross country with ibibio and anang .
Kindly explain to me why most ibibio and even anang feel inferior to igbo and prefer to be slaves in Biafra instead of supporting akwa cross unity and progress which has greater potential ? Why do many ibibios on this forum such as ndpvf , uduak ,ujoinme and rozay feel that the Oron seaport will be mainly for Igbo use? That means they do not believe in themselves .They see igbo as superior to them . that is inferior ibibio houseboy mentality. Oronians are some of the most industrious people in Nigeria,but they have a smaller population . There are thousands of Oronians around the world patently waiting for the seaport so that they an troop to Nigeria and build industries . Igbo has larger population like China that's why they are more visible(in fact ,I believe igbo may be majority in Nigerias) ,but it doesn't mean others aren't also industrious. China isn't better than Singapore,Japan,South Korea or Taiwan. China just has a larger population and are more visible.
I understand that igboland is overpopulated and has a need for land conservation with numerous densely populated 3 and 5 storey buildings ,which gives an impression of commerce and enterprise. Ijawland or akwa ibom does not have numerous 3 storeys and 5 storeys because they are sparsely populated with no urgent need for land conservation . Perhaps that may be why Ibibio people feel inferior to igbo and think igbo are better than them. Bt they should underatand that not all countries can be the same . America has a larger population with greater millitary while Canada and Australia have very low population in anyway mean that the United states is better or more of a developed country than Canada ,Australia Japan or Norway. [/s]

I don't know why you yorubbas are like this. My Ibibio and SS brothers...are you people seeing this? SMH
Re: . by OMAR12: 8:01am On Aug 30, 2016
if this thread is not pulled down, then he and the mods have ulterior motive.
Re: . by BoleynDynaSTY(f): 8:01am On Aug 30, 2016
menxer:
So because a few Ibibios are "sympathetic" to Biafra cause means Ibibios as a people are inferior to igbos?

When did sympathy equate inferiority?

Any Ibibio person that knows history would surely laugh at this your attempt to drag Ibibios into the ethnic war going on with the tripod (yoruba, Hausa, igbo)

You really have time replying that Op,they'll just sit in their bedrooms and start cooking up stupid stories

1 Like

Re: . by Udmaster(m): 8:03am On Aug 30, 2016
attackgat:

Greater potential? How? Won't they still be under Nigeria where they will have neither have control of their resources and economic life? So what potential is there? The ethnic nationalities that constitute Akwa-Cross are the closest people to the Igbos. Most of the Biafran groups have said that should Biafra be realised, the area called Akwa-Cross will become "Oyono Region" with 100% resource control. I have to admit that I don't were the word Oyono comes from or its meaning, it could be the name of a Deity in Ibibio land.
The OP registered on August 2016, He is here with a divide and conquer tactics.
Don't fall for it.

1 Like

Re: . by Udmaster(m): 8:06am On Aug 30, 2016
Real2020:

I don't know why you yorubbas are like this. My Ibibio and SS brothers...are you people seeing this? SMH
He registered on 28 August 2016 and this is hiz 1st thread.
A divide and conquer tactics. An insultive one.
Re: . by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 30, 2016
Re: . by Udmaster(m): 8:10am On Aug 30, 2016
Braden104:
My motive is for people like ndpvf rozay uduak ujoinme and all ibibio with houseboy/girl mentality who support akwa cross to be part of Biafra or encourage igbo migration and commercial domination of the akwa cross to have a change of heart and realize how foolish they are. Igbo have larger population like China and will dominate and enslave Akwa cross (mostly ibibio ) who have a naturally trusting or somewhat docile demeanor and outlook . Only Oronians are industrious and brave warriors in akwa cross. Oron is the leader of Akwa cross.
your tactics is DEAD ON ARRIVAL.
Cc: Mynd44, rule no.2 violated.
You have another moniker on nairaland.
You can't fool anyone here.

1 Like

Re: . by Xapio: 8:38am On Aug 30, 2016
This ethnic bigotry induced thread needs to be killed..

:ggg) g) ggggggggggggg

Vbbbhggccxxxxcc CNN bbbbnnnnn

......................ghbbbcxxxc

.....bvbbbfcccbbb

Bggfe
Re: . by fr3do(m): 9:50am On Aug 30, 2016

Re: . by fr3do(m): 9:58am On Aug 30, 2016
THE THING AROUND YOUR NECK
you thought everybody in America had a car and a gun; your uncles and aunts and cousins
thought so, too. Right after you won the American visa lottery, they told you: In a month, you
will have a big car. Soon, a big house. But don’t buy a gun like those Americans.
They trooped into the room in Lagos where you lived with your father and mother and three
siblings, leaning against the unpainted walls because there weren’t enough chairs to go round, to
say goodbye in loud voices and tell you with lowered voices what they wanted you to send them. In
comparison to the big car and house (and possibly gun), the things they wanted were minor—
handbags and shoes and perfumes and clothes. You said okay, no problem.
Your uncle in America, who had put in the names of all your family members for the American
visa lottery, said you could live with him until you got on your feet. He picked you up at the airport
and bought you a big hot dog with yellow mustard that nauseated you. Introduction to America, he
said with a laugh. He lived in a small white town in Maine, in a thirty-year-old house by a lake. He
told you that the company he worked for had offered him a few thousand more than the average
salary plus stock options because they were desperately trying to look diverse. They included a
photo of him in every brochure, even those that had nothing to do with his unit. He laughed and said
the job was good, was worth living in an all-white town even though his wife had to drive an hour
to find a hair salon that did black hair. The trick was to understand America, to know that America
was give-and-take. You gave up a lot but you gained a lot, too.
He showed you how to apply for a cashier job in the gas station on Main Street and he enrolled
you in a community college, where the girls had thick thighs and wore bright-red nail polish, and
self-tanner that made them look orange. They asked where you learned to speak English and if you
had real houses back in Africa and if you’d seen a car before you came to America. They gawped
at your hair. Does it stand up or fall down when you take out the braids? They wanted to know. All
of it stands up? How? Why? Do you use a comb? You smiled tightly when they asked those
questions. Your uncle told you to expect it; a mixture of ignorance and arrogance, he called it. Then
he told you how the neighbors said, a few months after he moved into his house, that the squirrels
had started to disappear. They had heard that Africans ate all kinds of wild animals.
You laughed with your uncle and you felt at home in his house; his wife called you nwanne,
sister, and his two school-age children called you Aunty. They spoke Igbo and ate garri for lunch
and it was like home. Until your uncle came into the cramped basement where you slept with old
boxes and cartons and pulled you forcefully to him, squeezing your buttocks, moaning. He wasn’t
really your uncle; he was actually a brother of your father’s sister’s husband, not related by blood.
After you pushed him away, he sat on your bed—it was his house, after all—and smiled and said
you were no longer a child at twenty-two. If you let him, he would do many things for you. Smart
women did it all the time. How did you think those women back home in Lagos with well-paying
jobs made it? Even women in New York City?
You locked yourself in the bathroom until he went back upstairs, and the next morning, you left,
walking the long windy road, smelling the baby fish in the lake. You saw him drive past—he had
always dropped you off at Main Street—and he didn’t honk. You wondered what he would tell his
wife, why you had left. And you remembered what he said, that America was give-and-take.
You ended up in Connecticut, in another little town, because it was the last stop of the
Greyhound bus you got on. You walked into the restaurant with the bright, clean awning and said
you would work for two dollars less than the other waitresses. The manager, Juan, had inky-black
hair and smiled to show a gold tooth. He said he had never had a Nigerian employee but all
immigrants worked hard. He knew, he’d been there. He’d pay you a dollar less, but under the table;
he didn’t like all the taxes they were making him pay.
You could not afford to go to school, because now you paid rent for the tiny room with the
stained carpet. Besides, the small Connecticut town didn’t have a community college and credits at
the state university cost too much. So you went to the public library, you looked up course syllabi
on school Web sites and read some of the books. Sometimes you sat on the lumpy mattress of your
twin bed and thought about home—your aunts who hawked dried fish and plantains, cajoling
customers to buy and then shouting insults when they didn’t; your uncles who drank local gin and
crammed their families and lives into single rooms; your friends who had come out to say goodbye
before you left, to rejoice because you won the American visa lottery, to confess their envy; your
parents who often held hands as they walked to church on Sunday mornings, the neighbors from the
next room laughing and teasing them; your father who brought back his boss’s old newspapers from
work and made your brothers read them; your mother whose salary was barely enough to pay your
brothers’ school fees at the secondary school where teachers gave an A when someone slipped
them a brown envelope.
You had never needed to pay for an A, never slipped a brown envelope to a teacher in
secondary school. Still, you chose long brown envelopes to send half your month’s earnings to your
parents at the address of the parastatal where your mother was a cleaner; you always used the
dollar notes that Juan gave you because those were crisp, unlike the tips. Every month. You
wrapped the money carefully in white paper but you didn’t write a letter. There was nothing to
write about.
In later weeks, though, you wanted to write because you had stories to tell. You wanted to write
about the surprising openness of people in America, how eagerly they told you about their mother
fighting cancer, about their sister-in-law’s pree mie, the kinds of things that one should hide or
should reveal only to the family members who wished them well. You wanted to write about the
way people left so much food on their plates and crumpled a few dollar bills down, as though it
was an offering, expiation for the wasted food. You wanted to write about the child who started to
cry and pull at her blond hair and push the menus off the table and instead of the parents making her
shut up, they pleaded with her, a child of perhaps five years old, and then they all got up and left.
You wanted to write about the rich people who wore shabby clothes and tattered sneakers, who
looked like the night watchmen in front of the large compounds in Lagos. You wanted to write that
rich Americans were thin and poor Americans were fat and that many did not have a big house and
car; you still were not sure about the guns, though, because they might have them inside their
pockets.

to be continued
Re: . by fr3do(m): 9:59am On Aug 30, 2016
shsb
b
fbdvsdfv
ds
sas
sc
svf
bffb
bdfb
dbdb
ddd
d
d\s
\dd
gd
hmj,kujmh
fbfbb
dvvd
ddv
dvd
vdv
dvdv
dvs
a\v
gj,l
ukdr
tdhxdrfnhh
gnxdg
ndfb
fndfgng
nfgnm
hmg
j,gj
,j
,jh,
hh

iovh
ghc n
cg
v
xcv
bx
b
vb
v
v
n
,nm
k
,.j
b bc
Re: . by menxer: 11:41am On Aug 30, 2016
Braden104:
The igbos include akwacross on their biafa map because Akwacross was part of the eastern region. That colonial regional classification was flawed in the first place because there are more than 3 linguistic regions in Nigeria.

That's the same thing they (igbos) accuse the British of, were the Ibibios consulted when the Biafran map was drafted?

Being part of eastern Nigeria as it were, is not tantamount to being part of Biafra.

(1) (Reply)

The Untold Story Of JACOB ODULATE, The Man Who Invented Alabunkun / Spells To Win Spiritual War Or Attack ,with 3 Cotyledon Kolanut / Must A King Marry More Than One Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.