Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,538 members, 7,816,311 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

Top 5 Reasons Every Office Needs Desktop Computers, And Not Laptops - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Top 5 Reasons Every Office Needs Desktop Computers, And Not Laptops (1160 Views)

System Mart Get Cheap Computers And Computer Accessories / Top 5 Reasons Computers Crash And Precaution / How To Download Youtube Video To Your Computers And Phones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 5 Reasons Every Office Needs Desktop Computers, And Not Laptops by tunisbaba(m): 11:27am On Aug 30, 2016
I noticed a new trend that instead of using desktop computers, some offices now deploy laptops as their main workstation, but little did they know that they are making a bad decision that can ground their business and even lead to breach of company’s privacy.

In as much as laptops have a lot of known advantages over desktops, it is worth knowing that they are not always ideal in conventional office settings and here are the reasons you should invest in equipping your office with desktop computers, instead of laptops.

Reasons Desktops are better than Laptops in an Office

Theft: Burglars can burgle an office and carting away valuable properties including computers. I once heard of an unfortunate incident whereby burglars entered an office through the roof of the office complex and went away with over 30 pieces of a company’s laptop computers. Imagine if the burglars were to steal 30 pieces of desktop computers. How easy will that be?

Repair and Upgrade: Desktop computer can easily be repaired in the case of damage or upgraded if you want to improve its efficiency. Most faults on desktop computers can be fixed in your office without the repairer taking the system to his workshop, so you can be sure your privacy is not breached. In the case of laptops, replacing a peripheral component as simple as keyboard might require your computer to be out of office for weeks.

Price/Performance Ratio: Desktops are fantastically cheaper than laptops. A laptop computer with Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM is far more expensive than a desktop computer with the same specification. Desktops come with large vacuum space and a cooling system that makes it run more efficiently than a laptop which has its component jam-packed together. Aside this, most new model of laptop computers coming to Africa do not even have fan as part of their cooling system. They now come only with a funny weird heat sink.

Usage Convenience: Monitors of desktop are interestingly larger than screens of most laptops. Therefore, interaction with display on monitor is more conducive, especially for tasks that involve a lot of zooming and panning of an area on the screen. Desktop keyboard and mouse are another peripherals that will make your live easier than the flat track-pad on your laptop.

Health: If you work with a laptop and put it on a desk, after sometimes, you will knowingly or unknowingly put it on your lap; after all, the computer was designed to be placed on your lap top. Research shows that prolong exposure of our laps to the heat coming from the base of a laptop can cause skin burn, cancer and low sperm count. Hence, if you are a man and you care about the continuity of your family lineage, ask your boss for a desktop computer.

It is also worth stating that reasons above do not mean you should not use laptop at all in your office; you may want to use laptop as complement to the desktop computer provided for some of your employees. Laptop can be provided for senior employees that go on regular business trip or those that work from home after office hours.

However, if you prefer best fit and efficiency over smartness and portability, installing desktop computers instead of laptops should be the best choice for your office.

Culled from: http://howtotechnaija.com/top-5-reasons-offices-needed-desktop-computers-not-laptops/

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Reasons Every Office Needs Desktop Computers, And Not Laptops by Nobody: 9:14pm On Aug 30, 2016
[quote author=tunisbaba post=48922655]I noticed a new trend that instead of using desktop computers, some offices now deploy laptops as their main workstation, but little did they know that they are making a bad decision that can ground their business and even lead to breach of company’s privacy.

In as much as laptops have a lot of known advantages over desktops, it is worth knowing that they are not always ideal in conventional office settings and here are the reasons you should invest in equipping your office with desktop computers, instead of laptops.

Theft: Burglars can burgle an office and carting away valuable properties including computers. I once heard of an unfortunate incident whereby burglars entered an office through the roof of the office complex and went away with over 30 pieces of a company’s laptop computers. Imagine if the burglars were to steal 30 pieces of desktop computers. How easy will that be?

Things do happen, however a good office will secure it assest well, making sure there is enough security in place.
How come we don't hear burglary case in big companies?

Repair and Upgrade: Desktop computer can easily be repaired in the case of damage or upgraded if you want to improve its efficiency. Most faults on desktop computers can be fixed in your office without the repairer taking the system to his workshop, so you can be sure your privacy is not breached. In the case of laptops, replacing a peripheral component as simple as keyboard might require your computer to be out of office for weeks [/quote.]

Same apply to laptop, you can easily repair and upgrade, the reason why most fault are fix in office is because it will be stressful moving around with it.
Most companies have Engineers that repair their laptops.

[quote] Price/Performance Ratio: Desktops are fantastically cheaper than laptops. A laptop computer with Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM is far more expensive than a desktop computer with the same specification. Desktops come with large vacuum space and a cooling system that makes it run more efficiently than a laptop which has its component jam-packed together. Aside this, most new model of laptop computers coming to Africa do not even have fan as part of their cooling system. They now come only with a funny weird heat sink.

I agree with you here, this is simply because it's a laptop, now compare to when where laptop was not too common, you will agree with me that it was expensive then, when a product value reduce it market price reduce.
Moreover, most of this companies don't need up to core i7, except if it's a programming company.

Usage Convenience: Monitors of desktop are interestingly larger than screens of most laptops. Therefore, interaction with display on monitor is more conducive, especially for tasks that involve a lot of zooming and panning of an area on the screen. Desktop keyboard and mouse are another peripherals that will make your live easier than the flat track-pad on your laptop.

We have 10.1 up to 17.3 in laptops too, you can also go for whichever suit you.

Health: If you work with a laptop and put it on a desk, after sometimes, you will knowingly or unknowingly put it on your lap; after all, the computer was designed to be placed on your lap top. Research shows that prolong exposure of our laps to the heat coming from the base of a laptop can cause skin burn, cancer and low sperm count. Hence, if you are a man and you care about the continuity of your family lineage, ask your boss for a desktop computer.

Hmm.. I agree with you on this but laptop are best placed on a flat surface, people are getting use to this .

It is also worth stating that reasons above do not mean you should not use laptop at all in your office; you may want to use laptop as complement to the desktop computer provided for some of your employees. Laptop can be provided for senior employees that go on regular business trip or those that work from home after office hours.

However, if you prefer best fit and efficiency over smartness and portability, installing desktop computers instead of laptops should be the best choice for your office.

Culled from: http://howtotechnaija.com/top-5-reasons-offices-needed-desktop-computers-not-laptops/
Re: Top 5 Reasons Every Office Needs Desktop Computers, And Not Laptops by AKBliv010(m): 1:11am On Aug 31, 2016
tunisbaba:
I noticed a new trend that instead of using desktop computers, some offices now deploy laptops as their main workstation, but little did they know that they are making a bad decision that can ground their business and even lead to breach of company’s privacy.

Repair and Upgrade: Desktop computer can easily be repaired in the case of damage or upgraded if you want to improve its efficiency. Most faults on desktop computers can be fixed in your office without the repairer taking the system to his workshop, so you can be sure your privacy is not breached. In the case of laptops, replacing a peripheral component as simple as keyboard might require your computer to be out of office for weeks.

Price/Performance Ratio: Desktops are fantastically cheaper than laptops. A laptop computer with Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM is far more expensive than a desktop computer with the same specification. Desktops come with large vacuum space and a cooling system that makes it run more efficiently than a laptop which has its component jam-packed together. Aside this, most new model of laptop computers coming to Africa do not even have fan as part of their cooling system. They now come only with a funny weird heat sink.

This makes sense, thumbs up for sharing! Although I don't buy the low sperm count claim ...that's funny

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Reasons Every Office Needs Desktop Computers, And Not Laptops by AKBliv010(m): 1:13am On Aug 31, 2016
udemzy101:
We have 10.1 up to 17.3 in laptops too, you can also go for whichever suit you.

You clearly haven't had the chance to use a 34inch Ultra wide monitor

Re: Top 5 Reasons Every Office Needs Desktop Computers, And Not Laptops by Nobody: 6:16am On Aug 31, 2016
AKBliv010:

You clearly haven't had the chance to use a 34inch Ultra wide monitor
For what naa?
How many eyes I get? grin
When no be movie or football I was use am watch.

What will I be using a 34inch for? Except if one is running a CCTV camera in his office lol.

Anyway, I still insist that a 17.3inch at most,is ok.
Re: Top 5 Reasons Every Office Needs Desktop Computers, And Not Laptops by computerboy: 7:08am On Aug 31, 2016
All these bloggers tho. Anything for traffic. SMH!
Re: Top 5 Reasons Every Office Needs Desktop Computers, And Not Laptops by Nobody: 7:18am On Aug 31, 2016
computerboy:
All these bloggers tho. Anything for traffic. SMH!

Lol.. Everything must be balance naa,
Re: Top 5 Reasons Every Office Needs Desktop Computers, And Not Laptops by Nobody: 7:35am On Aug 31, 2016
Rubbish! The topics here are mostly based on their useless retrograde perceptions on the PC world. undecided
Re: Top 5 Reasons Every Office Needs Desktop Computers, And Not Laptops by AKBliv010(m): 7:49am On Aug 31, 2016
udemzy101:

For what naa?
How many eyes I get? grin
When no be movie or football I was use am watch.

What will I be using a 34inch for? Except if one is running a CCTV camera in his office lol.

Anyway, I still insist that a 17.3inch at most,is ok.

The 'real estate' allows for more application windows to be opened, increasing productivity. Before you jump to conclusion, let's just assume one is running 4 different applications. One won't have to always minimise, to drag application windows to the front so one works faster. Having the same on a smaller monitor will mean text size is very small, that can strain your eyes. You can't see that because you now you have to defend your position that 17.3 is enough. It's an ultra wide monitor not a tv bro. It's designed for professional use, for power users. Those who care to increase productivity.
Re: Top 5 Reasons Every Office Needs Desktop Computers, And Not Laptops by AKBliv010(m): 7:51am On Aug 31, 2016
Silkmoth33:
Rubbish! The topics here are mostly based on their useless retrograde perceptions on the PC world. undecided

Well said, pure misinformation most times.
Re: Top 5 Reasons Every Office Needs Desktop Computers, And Not Laptops by Nobody: 7:55am On Aug 31, 2016
AKBliv010:

The 'real estate' allows for more application windows to be opened, increasing productivity. Before you jump to conclusion, let's just assume one is running 4 different applications. One won't have to always minimise, to drag application windows to the front so one works faster. Having the same on a smaller monitor will mean text size is very small, that can strain your eyes. You can't see that because you now you have to defend your position that 17.3 is enough. It's an ultra wide monitor not a tv bro. It's designed for professional use, for power users. Those who care to increase productivity.
Noted

(1) (Reply)

. / Lenovo 80G0 For Sale / Clicking Hard Disk (click Of Death). Where To Fix It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.