Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,154 members, 7,835,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi (1955 Views)

Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable – IYC Replies Buhari / Igbo Leaders & Hamza Almustapha Meet Prof Ango Abdullahi (Photos) / North Ready For Nigeria’s Breakup –prof. Ango Abdullahi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by MasterofNL: 11:55am On Aug 31, 2016
Friday Olokor, Abuja

A former Minister of Education and member of the Northern Elders Forum, Prof. Ango Abdullahi, has said if Nigerians has found it difficult to live together in peace, the component units should find it convenient to go their separate ways.

Accusing the elite of being the cause of the nation’s multifaceted challenges, Abdullahi believed that if the amalgamation of the country in1914 by Lord Lugard was a mistake, “each region should go separately.”

Abdullahi stated these on Tuesday in Abuja during the public presentation of two books: Boko Haram: The Charade vs Reality and The Life and Times of Umaru Turakin Bauchi, written by a former Diplomatic Editor of the Voice of America and now visiting Professor in ABU, Zaria, Hadiza Wada.

The former Vice-Chancellor of the Ahmadu bello University, Zaria, and former Adviser on Food Security to ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo, also called on the Federal Government to fight the Niger Delta Avengers before fighting members of the Boko Haram sect.

He said, “The Batures (whites) have brought us together. They tried what they could before they left in 1960 to see whether this country could become a political unity that is stable because without political stability, it is impossible to stabilise any aspect of our socio-economic development. They succeeded up to a point but they were very lucky, they found our forefathers and founding fathers, who were honest.

“Take for example, India that became independent in 1948, before one or two years, Pakistan was born and in another one or two years, Bangladesh was born out of Pakistan because there had not been sufficient basis on which India would stay together in the first place and later Pakistan would stand together as Pakistan, even though they have so much in common. Bangladesh and Pakistan are Muslim countries and so on. There are so many areas of disagreement.”

The ex-minister added, “So, this is what we have with our independence and our forefathers did so much. But our greatest challenge today is political instability, created, unfortunately, by politicians and the Nigerian elite. We are responsible for the conditions we are experiencing today and that we have experienced over the years.

“This is the basis on which we have made slow or no progress in our development.”

Abdullahi argued that the elite were in the vanguard of calling for the restructuring of the country.

He stated, “We are hearing about the restructuring of Nigeria. We’re hearing about secession; we are hearing all sorts of things(sic) and who are the promoters of this rhetoric?

“These are from elite of the country. They’re right to say their minds, but they should also leave me to say my mind when the time is right.

“If Lord Lugard made a mistake in 1914, let’s correct it now. Why not? If Nigerians cannot live together and allow peace and development to take place, then let’s go our different ways and to our different places, so we can concentrate and develop our children and grandchildren in peace.

“There’s nothing wrong with that. So many countries have gone through that before. So, I don’t believe in all this emotion and sentiment that Nigeria is indissoluble. There’s nothing like indissolubility in any country.

“Take Britain, they’ve been a model for 1,000 years of democracy; and then, a year or two ago, Scotland, that had been in the United Kingdom for about 350 years, opted to go for a referendum to get out; same problem with Ireland. Soviet Union was only a superpower many years ago; today, 12 or 13 countries are there.

“So what is so special about Nigeria?
If we find truly that we cannot develop and guarantee the welfare of our people as a nation and the solution is to go our separate ways, why not? So you see, this is the thing we have to always discuss at all times honestly.”

Speaking on Boko Haram, he said, “You ask the question: where did Boko Haram get their sophistication and articulation from? No doubt from external connections, but external connections can only thrive if they have internal connections in the country itself.

“But the real offence: people who ‘knew’ and should have spoken out did not do such.

“Some of us, including my teacher and I, went to see (former President Goodluck) Jonathan to discuss it. Some days later, we heard there was going to be dialogue but then two weeks later, a state of emergency was declared and Boko Haram was banned. So, the question is: who are you talking with if you have banned Boko Haram?

Abdullahi believed that the Niger Delta Avengers and Boko Haram belonged to the same camp of terrorists.”

He stated, “Yes we accepted Boko Haram for those who described them as ‘Islamist terrorists’, fair enough; but what about economic terrorists?

“In the Niger Delta, for example, people who came out openly and said they’re avenging something and that they’re fighting to avenge something, they’re worse than what’s happening in this country; they’re worse than Boko Haram.

‘‘If you’re not going to fight Avengers, then stop fighting Boko Haram.”

Also, an elder statesman, Alhaji Maitama Sule, commended the author of the book, Wada, on her painstaking research on the Boko Haram insurgency.

Wada said government needed to do more in the area of further research on Boko Haram.

http://punchng.com/nigerias-unity-negotiable-says-prof-ango-abdullahi/

lalasticlala

1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by MasterofNL: 11:57am On Aug 31, 2016
modath, Beremx, omenka, Progressive01, Obailala, Fulanimafia, Quotasystem, aresa, vedaxcool, searchiing4love, cheruv, TonyeBarcanista, egift, ShoottoKill, Truckpusher.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by GoldenJAT(m): 11:57am On Aug 31, 2016
his Opinion...others will differ.
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by MasterofNL: 12:31pm On Aug 31, 2016
This deserves front page oo.
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by MasterofNL: 12:33pm On Aug 31, 2016
Dominique, please come see this topic.
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by Nobody: 12:42pm On Aug 31, 2016
If Britain who amalgamated the different countries to form Nigeria could vote to exit European union why can't Nigeria do it.
Nigeria unity is indeed negotiable.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by MasterofNL: 12:44pm On Aug 31, 2016
Love Machine:
If Britain who amalgamated the different countries to form Nigeria could vote to exit European union why can't Nigeria do it.
Nigeria unity is indeed negotiable.

They also allowed Scotland to have a referendum.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 31, 2016
I am still doubting if this statement truly came from ango abdulahi.
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by glassjar1: 12:45pm On Aug 31, 2016
IPOB INTERNATIONAL BIANU LEE grin grin

PROPHET NNAMDI KANU the greatest director , BIAKWA LEE grin grin

IPOB OKIKE is gradually arresting them grin grin choi

IPOB SUPER POWER cheesy cheesy NNAMDI KANU the truth teller . cheesy cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by Ratello: 12:46pm On Aug 31, 2016
May Allah bless this clownish Professor and Former VC of Ahmadu Bello University for this wise saying many Northern elders fear to talk about. Unfortunately a Buhari Presidency will never allow such. Nice move though

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by MasterofNL: 12:48pm On Aug 31, 2016
The IPOB movement globally is really making waves.

Things are shifting gradually and something will give soon. smiley

You cannot mess with the Igbo nation and think that you will sit down and drink water. cheesy

The heat is on, very soon, even Buhari will call for a referendum.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by MasterofNL: 12:53pm On Aug 31, 2016
Love Machine:
I am still doubting if this statement truly came from to ango abdulahi.

You can go to his house and ask him. grin grin
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by NaYouGoTire: 1:07pm On Aug 31, 2016
Only gullible fooollllllllssss still believe that British devilish lugardian contraption will not go down. We are everywhere to make sure it goes down by fire by force. I am a Biafran! Nairaland to hell with your rule 9!!!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by Noneroone(m): 1:14pm On Aug 31, 2016
Ipob is succeding

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by Noneroone(m): 1:15pm On Aug 31, 2016
NaYouGoTire:
Only gullible fooollllllllssss still believe that British devilish lugardian contraption will not go down. We are everywhere to make sure it goes down by fire by force. I am a Biafran! Nairaland to hell with your rule 9!!!
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by NaYouGoTire: 1:28pm On Aug 31, 2016
[quote author=Noneroone post=48952812][/quote]
If you are quoting me for ban you are a kid because I know the consequence of my post so go take a cup of coffee. And will post another one five seconds after my ban.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by QuotaSystem: 2:02pm On Aug 31, 2016
MasterofNL:
The IPOB movement globally is really making waves.

Things are shifting gradually and something will give soon. smiley

You cannot mess with the Igbo nation and think that you will sit down and drink water. cheesy

The heat is on, very soon, even Buhari will call for a referendum.

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by Yujin(m): 2:13pm On Aug 31, 2016
NaYouGoTire:
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by Yujin(m): 2:16pm On Aug 31, 2016
We shall no respite know until the flag of the rising sun hovers freely on the eastern sky. To God Be The Glory.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by Noneroone(m): 2:18pm On Aug 31, 2016
NaYouGoTire:

If you are quoting me for ban you are a kid because I know the consequence of my post so go take a cup of coffee. And will post another one five seconds after my ban.
lol... I only quoted you in case they hid your comment

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by NaYouGoTire: 2:36pm On Aug 31, 2016
Noneroone:
lol... I only quoted you in case they hid your comment
In that case, take one "Hero" i.e. O' mpa for my head!! Don't blame me I have been banned thousands times here so I decided to build Armour for myself.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by EazyMoh(m): 2:54pm On Aug 31, 2016
Of course it's negotiable, but only on our terms. It was formed on our terms, and can only be negotiated on our terms. For now chill till when we deem it fit to negotiate.
*tongue out*
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by otr1(m): 3:08pm On Aug 31, 2016
Aje; ko gba, lon my ariwo Oja po. There can never be peace or any semblance of progress if we can't agree.
To me, Nigeria is not qualified to be a Nation. If something to is not working for 100years, I think it's not out of place to do it the other way.
I want to raise my Children in a sane society, among my own people, not Nigeria. tongue
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by ImpersonatorSS: 3:09pm On Aug 31, 2016
Why are people especially southerners ecstatic when prominent northerners declare that Nigeria's unity is negotiable or back restructuring?

This news made front page of The Punch.

Na wa o.
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by wordcat(m): 3:24pm On Aug 31, 2016
Ango Abdullahi Can't believe my eyes!!!

Someone pls tell me that I'm reading this wrongly, ANGO ABDULLAHI of all people?

Please where is that Joe Igbokwe?

MasterofNL:

“Take for example, India that became independent in 1948, before one or two years, Pakistan was born and in another one or two years, Bangladesh was born out of Pakistan because there had not been sufficient basis on which India would stay together in the first place and later Pakistan would stand together as Pakistan, even though they have so much in common. Bangladesh and Pakistan are Muslim countries and so on. There are so many areas of disagreement.”

[b]“If Lord Lugard made a mistake in 1914, let’s correct it now. Why not? If Nigerians cannot live together and allow peace and development to take place, then let’s go our different ways and to our different places, so we can concentrate and develop our children and grandchildren in peace.

“There’s nothing wrong with that. So many countries have gone through that before. So, I don’t believe in all this emotion and sentiment that Nigeria is indissoluble. There’s nothing like indissolubility in any country.

Going our separate ways remains the best option; the earlier we understand this the better

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by wordcat(m): 3:35pm On Aug 31, 2016
Shewunoshewa:
This news made front page of The Punch.

Na wa o.

If truly Ango Abdullahi said those things, then it worth front page not on the Punch News but in all news media outlets in this country even Nnamdi Kanu will be surprise to hear this from Ango Abdullahi!
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by ImpersonatorSS: 3:44pm On Aug 31, 2016
wordcat:

If truly Ango Abdullahi said those things, then it worth front page not on the Punch News but in all news media outlets in this country even Nnamdi Kanu will be surprise to hear this from Ango Abdullahi!

Why?
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by EteEdoho: 3:49pm On Aug 31, 2016
Nigeria and One-Nigerianists must go down insha Alla amin!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 31, 2016
I wander why people continue to shout one Nigeria at the expense of the lives of people.

Things has not been working, I concur with the prof, if they cannot restructure, let every body go their seperate ways.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by wordcat(m): 3:53pm On Aug 31, 2016
Shewunoshewa:

Why?

Ango Abdullahi is one of the believers that Northerners are the born to rule in this entity called nigeria so for him to have realize that nigeria's unity is negotiable is a NEWS that worth front page.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by ImpersonatorSS: 4:49pm On Aug 31, 2016
wordcat:

Ango Abdullahi is one of the believers that Northerners are the born to rule in this entity called nigeria so for him to have realize that nigeria's unity is negotiable is a NEWS that worth front page.

Wow!

But should the ultimate decision of Nigeria remaining one or not lie in the hands of the northerners?

So if the northerners want Nigeria to end today, they'll get it just like that?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi by wordcat(m): 5:11pm On Aug 31, 2016
Shewunoshewa:

Wow!

But should the ultimate decision of Nigeria remaining one or not lie in the hands of the northerners?

So if the northerners want Nigeria to end today, they'll get it just like that?

Yes so long as the SouthWest and the SouthEast keep fighting each other, the ultimate decision of the entity called nigeria will lie in their hands.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Bet You Don't Know These Facts About Abeokuta, The Ogun State Capital / Ojokwu Did Not See The Nigeria Of His Dreams, Will We ? - Femi Adesina / Vp Pastor Osibanjo Please deceive only yourself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.