Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,482 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense (10362 Views)

The Right Gauge Of Engine Oil In Vehicles. / Frsc Speed Limiters, Deadline, 31st January 2017. / Reps Panel Okays Frsc’s Speed Limiters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by MPVGoddess: 2:35pm On Aug 31, 2016
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by MPVGoddess: 2:52pm On Aug 31, 2016
imagine being a passenger in the back seat of a speed limited hiace bus going downhill on Abaji Lokoja road at 100km and there is a semi behind you with failed brakes pounding his horn relentlessly.

We were coming down a steep and very long decline on I-80, just ahead of a big rig. Mind you, we were in a 4-cylinder Subaru Forester. He was suddenly right on our tail and started blasting his horn like mad. We quickly realized he had lost his brakes, so we floored it and were just barely able to stay ahead of him as we, and he, wove from one lane to the other at 100+ mph.

Other cars didn't really have time to react, which was just as well. Fortunately there wasn't much traffic, so we could maneuver, but there were too many cars to just pull into another lane an let him get by. He was driving so erratically that we were afraid he would hit us for sure if we pulled onto the shoulder. Staying ahead of him seemed the safest thing to do at the time.

At the bottom of the grade, his rig eventually slowed enough that he could get on the shoulder and let friction help his stop. I couldn't believe our Subaru could go that fast on its puny 4 cylinders. Thankfully it could.

And that is why I'm glad cars are capable of traveling at "illegal" speed.

Source: Aaron Percefull on Quora

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by oweniwe(m): 4:15pm On Aug 31, 2016
Once lost a rear tyre to some whitish/square concrete speed bump some stupid villagers erected on the express way. angry

I saw the bump late cos the concrete color camouflaged with the road... By the time I jumped over it, a rear tyre went down embarassed

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by nurey(m): 4:51pm On Aug 31, 2016
What is the highest speed they expect drivers to maintain. That's my main concern before I decide whether to be for or against.

Though I know this new move is to extort Nigerians just like they used the illuminating fog tag.

Nigerian government and extortive bullying are like engine oil and filter

5 Likes

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by MPVGoddess: 5:25pm On Aug 31, 2016
There is a good, practical reason that I don't see mentioned here yet.

Say you're driving down the road at precisely the speed limit like the law-abiding citizen you are. The 18-wheeler in the next lane starts to merge into your lane--right into the spot you're currently occupying.

Do you violate the speed limit, put the pedal to the metal, and get out of there; or do you die in a terrible highway accident?

Source: Phil Darnowsky on Quora

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by FEGEITOK: 6:14pm On Aug 31, 2016
oweniwe:
Once lost a rear tyre to some whitish/square concrete speed bump some stupid villagers erected on the express way. angry

I saw the bump late cos the concrete color camouflaged with the road... By the time I jumped over it, a rear tyre went down embarassed

Where was this? I mean which route?
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by oweniwe(m): 6:29pm On Aug 31, 2016
FEGEITOK:

Where was this? I mean which route?

Local Delta road..... Amai Nge-Obiaruku road

Ah.... It was speed bump O... Abi speed limit is different thing ni undecided
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by ikombe: 6:42am On Sep 01, 2016
as i no get motor make i dey observe undecided

1 Like

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by HRich(m): 6:42am On Sep 01, 2016
If you're reading this, may your September and other Ember months make you pause and wonder why you're sooo blessed. Happy new month .

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by dunkem21(m): 6:43am On Sep 01, 2016
It doesn't make common sense.. infact, it's frustrating.
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by englishmart(m): 6:44am On Sep 01, 2016
that moment my Carina11 will overtake your ranger over sports on the highway grin

4 Likes

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by Funjosh(m): 6:45am On Sep 01, 2016
It is good in Nigeria here with all these bad roads abundantly available so.
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by SOPIGO: 6:49am On Sep 01, 2016
They are just after d commuter & d drivers.... They should look into d bad state of our dead trap we call Road.

2 Likes

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by kabukabu(m): 6:51am On Sep 01, 2016
Not going to ever happen, the govt can't possibly afford to install speed limiters on every single car imported. It would cost billions, it's never been done in any country ever.
Rather they can possibly recommend that private transportation companies that operate commercial trucks do it to their vehicles.

1 Like

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by kingreign(m): 6:52am On Sep 01, 2016
kabukabu:
Not going to ever happen, the govt can't possibly afford to install speed limiters on every single car imported. It would cost billions, it's never been done in any country ever.
Rather they can possibly recommend that private transportation companies that operate commercial trucks do it to their vehicles.

Kabukabu I love your moniker, nice moniker tho

2 Likes

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by tete7000(m): 6:53am On Sep 01, 2016
FRSC in a typical Nigerian manner seek the laziest solution to a problem.
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by Flexherbal(m): 7:04am On Sep 01, 2016
Hope FRSC will work on trucks, too?
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by diportivo: 7:06am On Sep 01, 2016
It will only make sense if dangote trucks av it

And theirs should be pegged at 80km/h

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by Exponental(m): 7:32am On Sep 01, 2016
MPVGoddess:
imagine being a passenger in the back seat of a speed limited hiace bus going downhill on Abaji Lokoja road at 100km and there is a semi behind you with failed brakes pounding his horn relentlessly.

We were coming down a steep and very long decline on I-80, just ahead of a big rig. Mind you, we were in a 4-cylinder Subaru Forester. He was suddenly right on our tail and started blasting his horn like mad. We quickly realized he had lost his brakes, so we floored it and were just barely able to stay ahead of him as we, and he, wove from one lane to the other at 100+ mph.

Other cars didn't really have time to react, which was just as well. Fortunately there wasn't much traffic, so we could maneuver, but there were too many cars to just pull into another lane an let him get by. He was driving so erratically that we were afraid he would hit us for sure if we pulled onto the shoulder. Staying ahead of him seemed the safest thing to do at the time.

At the bottom of the grade, his rig eventually slowed enough that he could get on the shoulder and let friction help his stop. I couldn't believe our Subaru could go that fast on its puny 4 cylinders. Thankfully it could.

It's advantages are more. Most of the commercial drivers are lawless. Many lives have been lost due to their carefree over speeding!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by MPVGoddess: 7:38am On Sep 01, 2016
There are plenty of products we buy every day that can be used in ways that are completely illegal - from the obvious (i.e. guns, knives, chainsaws) to the more mundane (i.e. gasoline, alcohol, medication).

Most modern cars (even the basic ones) will go at least 110 mph. Very few cars will reach anything near 200 mph, but yes, there some. Even 110 mph is faster than any speed limit in the United States. So why can cars go that fast?

Your car needs to be able to accelerate to highway speeds in a reasonable amount of time, and many people are accustomed to being able to accelerate from 0-60 mph in under 8 seconds. To do that requires a certain amount of power. Also, if you're on the highway going 75 mph (which is perfectly legal in many places) you'll need some power in reserve in case you encounter a headwind or need to climb a steep hill (or want to hit the gas and pass someone), which means that on a flat and level stretch with no headwind, your top speed will certainly be above 75 mph. Or if you drive a truck maybe you need extra power in case you're towing something. The level of power needed for reasonable acceleration and to have some additional power for hills and headwinds generally means you would top out (at a minimum) around 110 mph on a flat road. Of course if you have a sports car with more power for faster acceleration, your top speed can be much higher.

Speed governors on most cars are either set at 155 mph (250 km/h) as a "gentleman's agreement" between luxury car manufacturers for most of their models, or are set at the maximum speed rating of the tires. Tires with a speed rating of H, which is a popular rating on many sedans today, are rated for a top speed of 130 mph.

So an appropriate question would be "Why aren't all cars just governed at 85 mph?" 85 mph is the fastest legal speed on a public road in the US (SH 130 in Texas), and that limit was only established 2 years ago. The problem with governing a car at such a speed is that it's still able to reach illegal speeds on every road with a limit below that (i.e. every residential street) and people would be reluctant to buy a car that wasn't able to keep up with traffic while everyone else is driving at illegal speeds. Manufacturing a car that's not able to keep up with traffic could even possibly open an automaker up to liability for safety reasons. (what if you needed to take someone to the hospital in an emergency?) And even if manufacturers did limit the cars (because of requirements) there would be plenty of people figuring out ways to circumvent the speed governors.

One other major issue with a blanket speed governor in the United States is that speed limit policy is set by the states themselves and not set nationwide. Since the federal government does not set a speed limit, you're never violating a federal law by driving fast (except perhaps in isolated cases on certain federal property). You're only violating state laws. And Montana did have an unrestricted speed limit for a short period of time in the 1990s (reasonable and prudent). Even when the federal government did set the National Mandatory Speed Limit back in the 1970s, the speed limits were still state laws and could be set higher than the federal maximum, but the state would lose federal highway funding if it did so. No one state has the ability to get auto manufacturers to make something special just for them, except perhaps California and the California Air Resources Board, which for years has had special emissions regulations - and the automakers even fought that as much as they could. And even if a state did get such legislation passed there would be absolutely no way to prevent out-of-state vehicles from driving in or being sold in that state.

Any legislation requiring speed governors on cars could only apply to new cars, which would discourage people from buying new and it would create a set of vehicles that weren't able to keep up with the rest of traffic on the road, which would be unsafe.

Brian Feldman, Quora

1 Like

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by princemillla(m): 7:38am On Sep 01, 2016
Tho they are starting with commercial busses first which ofcuz include all these private commercial busses and may be truck as well.

Later would be extended to private cars( this I believe would be frustrated in the long run.....
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by KayodeAjani: 7:39am On Sep 01, 2016
Not that the car went faster it was the adrenalin hormes that engulfed your driver that saved d situation
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by jospepper(m): 7:42am On Sep 01, 2016
This should have been a welcome development considering the fact that many drivers on our roads are not trained. They' d just get into their cars and fiam they are off speeding to only God knows where. But the security situation in our country gives me cold sweat anytime I think of this speed limit device, men of the underworld will surely be put at advantage if this is implemented. So security wise I am afraid it's not good.
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by skademzy(m): 7:57am On Sep 01, 2016
many are mad but few are roaming. in case the man behind the wheel already lost his mind. limiter will help control his irrationality. else, you know the consequences of over speeding.
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by drphantom: 8:06am On Sep 01, 2016
oweniwe:

Local Delta road..... Amai Nge-Obiaruku road

Ah.... It was speed bump O... Abi speed limit is different thing ni undecided

A speed limiter is an electronic device installed in a car to prevent speeds over a specified limit
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by MPVGoddess: 8:07am On Sep 01, 2016
Bradley Lawrence, Quora

First, a word about roads.

Few people know that highways and freeways and interstates, in America, are designed for much higher speeds than the actual posted limits (which vary state to state).

Highway civil engineers design highways/freeways/interstates to correspond to the ability of a high percentage of the driving public. I read once that freeways/interstates are designed for travel at around 85 mph, a speed at which most drivers could safely pilot their vehicles.

This is done even though the actual speed limits are much lower.

Why?

Speed limits can and do change with the times.
55 mph was instituted by the Nixon administration as a way to conserve fuel during the Arab Oil Embargo of the early 1970's.

It was artificially low.
It has remained to this day in a surprising number of places, but has been raised, sometimes substantially, in others.
And where it has been raised to 75, drivers often drive up to about 85, and the highways are still just as safe. (Safer, when you consider the advances in auto technology, which have reduced both accidents and deaths in the US over the last 4 decades, as a percentage of total miles driven.

Designing freeways for higher speed travel means that over time, speed limits can increase, and safe travel for most drivers will not be unduly compromised.

- Here we need to include a note about "Safety" as it pertains to driving.
No matter what insurance companies and NHTSA say, it is not high speeds that kill on the nations highways.

This has been proven by the states that have raised their speed limits from 55, and yet have seen traffic injuries and fatalities decline per mile driven, or more accurately, per thousand miles and per hundred thousand miles driven in that state.

Sorry, that's just factual proof. And besides the per-hundred-thousand-miles-driven ratio, there are many areas where the actual total of deaths has declined. Including the total number in the entire US.

1979 traffic fatalities in the US - 51,093.
2002 traffic fatalities in the US - 42,815.

Cars are far more powerful, and far faster, than they were in 1979. (I experienced this personally, as an 18 year old who was in auto sales for a year before college in 1979-1980.)

But traffic deaths in total in the US are down, while cars are faster.

This is dues to better steering, handling, and anti-lock brakes, as well as more front wheel drive and all wheel drive. These combine to give drivers better control and shorter braking distances in nearly all conditions.

The real killer on the freeways, besides intoxicated drivers who drive both slow and fast, is this:

Speed Differential.

When more of the vehicles on a freeway are going similar speeds, and fewer are either far faster or far slower than the average, there are fewer accidents.

Driving too fast causes no more accidents than driving too slow, as compared to the other vehicles on that road.

If American drivers paid more attention, took driving courses more seriously, and in general focused on what they are doing on the road, fatalities could fall much farther.

So now to vehicles.
Others here have mentioned various reasons for the phenomenon in question, all good.

For me, there is one that overrides all the others: thrill.
Joy, adrenaline, wonder.

For several years, I owned what was in the year 2000 the fastest production all-wheel-drive SUV... in the World!

Zero to 60 at close to 5 seconds, and a top speed of 155 (rev limited, or it would be higher). All in sport-coupe quality leather seats, and yet still an SUV of 5500 lbs that can haul 5 people and their stuff!

That was my favorite vehicle ever, and I plan to buy another.

On a trip through the American West, I got it to 145 mph on freeways in 3 states - albeit briefly each time. Thrilling, but the thrill was over very quickly. I didn't want to push it, because getting caught at that speed includes both a ticket and a quick trip to jail in almost every state.

But the best part, the absolute best part of that vehicle, was that the power allowed me to go from Zero to The Speed Limit, way faster than almost anyone else.

That's right, you don't have to exceed the speed limit to thoroughly enjoy the world's fastest cars.

Because you get to enjoy those amazing capabilities every day, legally, without endangering your drivers license.

The eyeball-flattening acceleration of that SUV was even great fun from Zero to 30.

And it felt like it handled nearly as good as a BMW sports coupe.

But the best was merging and passing. Seriously powerful cars often show their strength most clearly from around 40 to 75 mph. You can't believe it until you experience it, but it was better than almost any other drug I've ever tried. Yes, it was that good.

It's the journey, not the destination.

And it's the thrill, the power, the feeling of accelerating, and handling, and yes, even braking with an overqualified vehicle that is a lot more frequent and lasting fun than a simple top speed number.
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by Bestlily(f): 8:11am On Sep 01, 2016
what I think the government. and FRSC should do is to mark all the roads in Nigeria including the ones in villages and towns with the recommended speed limits for the various routes and then station the relevant officers with speed trackers at strategic points to monitor and chase down drivers going pass the speed limit.

#simple but am sure they evil government won't think that way
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by Emeka71(m): 8:17am On Sep 01, 2016
What do people tend to gain from over-speeding?
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by MPVGoddess: 8:18am On Sep 01, 2016
Bestlily:
what I think the government. and FRSC should do is to mark all the roads in Nigeria including the ones in villages and towns with the recommended speed limits for the various routes and then station the relevant officers with speed trackers at strategic points to monitor and chase down drivers going pass the speed limit.

#simple but am sure they evil government won't think that way

Simple - if it's that good, let them bear the cost of the implementation

Not the poor masses crying from too much taxes and little increase in earnings

No first world country does that to vehicles, instead the police use their devices installed on police vehicles not road user vehicles

if any vehicle needs it, its the semis

the policy will die sooner than later
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by billy187(m): 8:29am On Sep 01, 2016
MPVGoddess:

Subaru makes some of the fastest 4 cylinder cars available.

It's kinda frightening to think what would have happened with a speed limiter- those poor fellows would have been merged into the truck's radiator!

There's a reason pretty much every other country thinks it's a dumb idea to put speed limiters on passenger cars
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by 8BitGee(m): 8:30am On Sep 01, 2016
I accidentally heard the frsc guy talking about this some months back. Even though he appeared and sounded educated, I'm sad to inform you that he is brain dead.

These guys don't think! They're trying to implement sth that has failed in other places. Rather than have speed monitors on major roads, they're trying to foist speed limiters on people so that their cronies can make money.

1 Like

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by maasoap(m): 8:34am On Sep 01, 2016
Exponental:

It's advantages are more. Most of the commercial drivers are lawless. Many lives have been lost due to their carefree over speeding!
Foreign news once was referred to drivers on Nigerian roads as Death Racers. Bad roads, fairly or unfairly used tires combined with neck breaking speeds.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Vs Lexus Vs Acura Vs Infinity Battle Of Luxury!! / Is It Wrong To Drive Automatic Transmissions With Both Legs? / Car Tracking Story: How I Recovered My Stolen Vehicle...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.