Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

Welcome To Crocodile Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Welcome To Crocodile Farming (2369 Views)

My People In Agriculture You Are Welcome To My World Meat Processing / Welcome Our Rabbit World / Welcome To Double Harvest;plantain/snail Integrated Farming. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Welcome To Crocodile Farming by Nobody: 12:00pm On Sep 02, 2016
Mr Mueke has more than 33,000 of the crocodiles at his 300-acre facility in Kitui County, some 180km (112 miles) east of the capital Nairobi.

Led by demand for crocodile meat from China, but also rising domestic sales to the restaurants of upmarket tourist hotels, he says that business has never been better.

"Each crocodile... can fetch you about 5,000 to 7,000 Kenyan shillings for the meat (£30 to £53; $50 to $69)," says Mr Mueke.

An advertisement for crocodile meat in Guangzhou, China
Image caption Crocodile meat is now very popular in China
The meat is white in colour, and said to taste similar to chicken.

Mr Mueke adds that in addition he can sell the hides of the animals for 2,500 Kenyan shillings, which go on to become shoes, handbags and belts.

The financial result of all this, Mr Mueke says, is that he can double his money for each of the 3,000 crocodiles he slaughters every year.

"Crocodile farming has its challenges, but the most surprising result is the profits. You can make more than 100%," he says.

Essential cleanliness

Mr Mueke's crocodiles live in sunken enclosures that contain both ponds and dry land.

They are fed with fish, blood-soaked maize, and other meats...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/37218790

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Welcome To Crocodile Farming by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 02, 2016
Re: Welcome To Crocodile Farming by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:12pm On Sep 02, 2016
Thanks for the info Muafrika2
Re: Welcome To Crocodile Farming by Nobody: 12:48pm On Sep 02, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
Thanks for the info Muafrika2
You sound inspired cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Welcome To Crocodile Farming by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:51pm On Sep 02, 2016
Muafrika2:

You sound inspired cool

Yeah smiley

1 Like

Re: Welcome To Crocodile Farming by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 02, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Yeah smiley
Cool.

I almost ate crocodile meat sometime ago. I hear it tastes like chicken, only better. I know in Nigeria It Would Sell Like hot cake grin
Re: Welcome To Crocodile Farming by Pavore9: 12:57pm On Sep 02, 2016
Ate it at the Carnivore Restaurant, Nairobi. grin

1 Like

Re: Welcome To Crocodile Farming by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:02pm On Sep 02, 2016
Muafrika2:

Cool.

I almost ate crocodile meat sometime ago. I hear it tastes like chicken, only better. I know in Nigeria It Would Sell Like hot cake grin

Most Nigerians don't see the crocodile , snakes , some types of birds as food grin . But one man's meat is another man's poison - the meat is part of toothsome delicacies in parts of China .

But how can a Nigerian lay hands on the paraphernalia necessary for rearing crocodiles ? I don't think there are Nigerians who rear crocodiles .
Re: Welcome To Crocodile Farming by Nobody: 1:16pm On Sep 02, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Most Nigerians don't see the crocodile , snakes , some types of birds as food grin . But one man's meat is another man's poison - the meat is part of toothsome delicacies in parts of China .

But how can a Nigerian lay hands on the paraphernalia necessary for rearing crocodiles ? I don't think there are Nigerians who rear crocodiles .

It looks simple, just an enclosure with a little water. The only thing I think would be a challenge is getting the crocodiles from the wild
Re: Welcome To Crocodile Farming by whirlwind7(m): 1:28pm On Sep 02, 2016
Muafrika2:

It looks simple, just an enclosure with a little water. The only thing I think would be a challenge is getting the crocodiles from the wild

Your description is for when someone intends to rear it as a hobby. if you intend to make profit from it, it will require much more than "an enclosure with a little water"
For instance, this report said the crocodile farm occupies a 300 acre spread. That's some serious piece of real estate. bearing in mind that you cannot just site such farm in the middle of a forest where land could be dirt cheap. The biggest challenge to crocodile farming on a medium to large scale is feeding. Remember that they are carnivores.

I have been studying how feasible this venture could be in Naija.

1 Like

Re: Welcome To Crocodile Farming by Pavore9: 1:45pm On Sep 02, 2016
Muafrika2:

Nigeria do not have a strong institution like the Kenya Wildlife Service that issues licenses to crocodile farmers in Kenya, in order to have a track of those crocodiles in the farms. It is just not what anyone can dabble into as it runs into hundreds of millions to set up such.
Re: Welcome To Crocodile Farming by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 02, 2016
It sounds capital intensive. I had in mind the simple structures I've seen at the zoo.

(1) (Reply)

Agriculture And Eco-tourism Business Opportunities / My Dry Season Ugu Farm Diary / This Picture Of A Yam Tuber Will Shock You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.