Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,924 members, 7,828,206 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Why I Never Considered To School In The UK - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why I Never Considered To School In The UK (1070 Views)

C&S Primary 6 Pupil Killed By BRT Bus On His Way To School In Ikorodu / Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! / Vehicle With Nigerian Plates Spotted In The UK (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Never Considered To School In The UK by thatafricanchic: 1:35pm On Sep 02, 2016
During my search for a country to study, I considered so many factors. But for some reason I never ever considered schooling in the UK. The UK is actually a very popular destination for a lot of International Students but it never caught my fancy.

Every time I visit blogs, I am sure to see an advert from a UK school however it still did not make me consider them.

Notwithstanding, I am sure the UK is a fantastic place to study; high quality education, diverse population and of course their language is English.

Here are the top 3 reasons the UK was not part of my choice.

High Tuition: The main reason I didn't consider the UK as a destination was because of the really high tuition fees. A year's tuition could cost nothing less than 12,000 pounds. Mind you that does not include your living expenses calculated at about 1000 pounds a month.

One year Masters: [/b]I truly want to be a Master in the field I want to study. And I just don't believe that a Masters course cramped into a year is enough. My preference therefore was for a 2 year Master program. UK schools usually offers 1 year courses so that was not an option for me.
[b]
Student Visa Rules:
When you school in the UK, you are not allowed to stay after your studies to maybe job search. You are expected to leave the country immediately after your studies. Imagine spending tens of thousands of pounds on your education with no immediate returns. Especially if the job market situation in your country is gloomy.

So these are the main reasons I never considered schooling in the UK. I am sure that it may be the best choice for some other students. It all depends in your circumstances, really.

About Me: I am currently applying for my German Student Visa. It was a big dream of mine to school abroad and it looks like it will come to pass. I am documenting my journey at www.lifeofanafricanstudentabroad.blogpspot.com . All the stress, the highs and lows, looking for a scholarship etc. You can visit anytime, Im sure you will learn a thing or two
Re: Why I Never Considered To School In The UK by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 10, 2016
I'm following your blog wink

Cc lovelygurl

You can do the same too
Re: Why I Never Considered To School In The UK by Yampotatocarrot(m): 1:29pm On Sep 10, 2016
Going to your profile shows u already know the german language. That probably helped to influence your decision. I'll rather prefer an English speaking country
Re: Why I Never Considered To School In The UK by modath(f): 10:48am On Sep 25, 2016
Re: Why I Never Considered To School In The UK by obiaguna(m): 2:05am On Sep 29, 2016
Would check your blog very soon as I am also looking for motivation to study abroad. Sometimes I just look at forgoing two years of work/salary for a masters degree without knowing what's next for you. It's really scary especially if you are coming from a position of limited funds but all in all a masters degree in a French or German university appeals to me.

In addition to the academic side I would like to explore beautiful cities and visit various countries as France shares close borders with a host of European countries such as Netherlands , Spain, Belgium, Switzerland ET Al.

I have never fancied schooling in the States or UK cos schooling in Europe comes with an extra benefit of learning a new language and adopt new cultures as well as keying into the start up revolution being experienced in Europe as well.
Re: Why I Never Considered To School In The UK by Fyorgyn: 7:19am On Sep 29, 2016
Interesting post.

Different strokes for different people.

My own reason for not wanting to study in the UK was that getting admission seemed too easy... it looked like once you had your money you could get into most of them.

I loved the challenge of applying to US schools... even then I only considered the ivy leagues (lol... I can be very elitist)

Guess where I ended? UK...

I applied to 3 ivy league schools in the US but only one school in the UK.... Got into all of them but the UK school gave me an offer I couldn't refuse... a fully funded scholarship.

So at the end of the day I ended up doing my masters in England and it was a fantastic experience...

Wish you guys all the best in your endeavours

(1) (Reply)

What Can He Send From New York So I Sell With Profit. / What Are The Documents Involved If I Want To Get An International Passport? / How Do I Locate This Address In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.