Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,241 members, 7,811,669 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

Response To "Should I Apply For DE Or HND" - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Response To "Should I Apply For DE Or HND" (638 Views)

Black Student Was Asked To Give Up His Seat In Class (See His Epic Response) / How Can I Apply To Change Date Of Birth Error At WAEC? / WAEC's Response To NGO Seeking To Sponsor Best Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Response To "Should I Apply For DE Or HND" by Tobitrueman(m): 10:59pm On Sep 02, 2016
Welcome.
I know am suppose to post this as a comment to the aforementioned, but 'bros, abeg, my posts for nairaland never reach anything" angry grin

chegxman:
I just complete my National
Diploma in Electrical
engineering this year at age
22. people around me are
like going for DE will be a
waste of time where I wil
spend 4yrs plus a year in service before facing the labour market.. am confused, I
need advice if I should go
for DE or HND?

Bro, you could infer your choice from my thought.
I'm an ND holder too, graduated last year, also had the same seemingly dilemma. While 'dilemma'?
Either of the two choices has its issues

1. HND holders may be discrimated against, but a one year PGD programme would dismiss the stigma of being a "middle" manpower although not without its stress (i.e approximately 3 years) and the good thing is, Polytechnics hardly go on strike e.g DESPO, Oghara has little or no longterm strike.

2. Bsc or B.Eng e.t.c certificate from any university direct (either obtained through D.E or its equivalent) has its numerous, obvious and conspicuous advantages and with most of its holders being engulfed with pride, which comes with its imminent repercussion in real life outside the school, by ascribing to themselves the 'most intelligent (permit me to use these words) homo sapiens" who, many a times, have been proven wanting in intellectual capacity when compared to their HND holder counterparts.
Universities are well known for strike indulgence. ASUU and thunder, who strike pass? (You'll soon seem some of them, arrogant and pride-driven university graduates coming for my grammatical blunder with no chill at all) grin

3.Last but not the least, age factor matters when making these choices. Imagine a four(4) year programme in the university taking 5 to 6 years to complete due to school or ASUU strike.
Also, age factor counts in going for NYSC (I learnt above 30 years aren't welcome). Let's assume no strike,will two(2) years of HND certificate or 3,4 or 5 years of Bsc when added to your present age amount to or above 30? Think twice, but be wise.

Finally, I'll advice you take the DE and HND, if you have the 'wherewithal' (money and the requirements, distinction or upper credit in your OND result for the DE) as I have also done. Took OAU DE and my school, Delta State Polytechnic, Otefe-Oghara HND form.

Please individuals well versed and knowledgable on this issue should also help
(Someone should please help me post that meme of a student whose head was engulfed with fire while reading)

1 Like

Re: Response To "Should I Apply For DE Or HND" by chegxman(m): 10:23am On Sep 03, 2016
thanks bro.. really appreciate ur response

1 Like

Re: Response To "Should I Apply For DE Or HND" by Tobitrueman(m): 2:31am On Sep 05, 2016
chegxman:
thanks bro.. really appreciate ur response

You'r welcome bro.

(1) (Reply)

Jamb Announces Release Of 2017 Form And New Scheme Of Operation / UNN Vs UNI-LAG / The Essence Of The English Language At Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.