Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust (8293 Views)

14 APC Governors Shut Out As Amaechi, El-Rufai Lead 2019 Scheme - Daily Trust / EFCC Invites Abdulmumin Jibrin Over Budget Padding (Photo) / Dogara Sacks Abdulmumin Jibrin Over Budget Padding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by BeeBeeOoh(m): 5:13am On Sep 03, 2016
Truly Abdulmunin Jibrin, who appears to be unrelenting in his self-acclaimed efforts at exposing “massive corruption” in the House of Representatives, seemingly kept to his words by issuing at least a statement daily since the commencement of the saga.
From the beginning, Jibrin alleged that Speaker Yakubu Dogara, Deputy Speaker Yussuf Suleimon Lasun, chief whip, Alhassan Ado Doguwa and minority leader, Leo Ogor almost compelled him to include projects worth about N40 billion for them in the budget.

Jibrin later broadened the scope of his allegations to include nine other members of the House, who chair different committees, whom he said allegedly connived with Dogara to insert about 2000 projects worth N284 billion in the budget.

He then turned to attack Dogara as a person with other allegations, saying the speaker operated the budget of the House in secrecy and encouraged wasteful award of contracts, declaring further that the speaker diverted a water project to his farm in Nasarawa State.
He also alleged that Dogara enticed lawmakers with $25,000 to sign a document for the vote of confidence on the speaker and that he introduced to members a fraudulent mortgage system in the House and proposed illegal deduction from members running costs.
The allegations got so personal that on July 27, Dogara issued a 7-day ultimatum to Jibrin within which he must retract a statement issued two days earlier and apologize, or face legal action.

Dogara said in a letter to Jibrin written by his lawyer, Professor Joash Amupitan, that: “The attention of our client has been drawn to a libelous press statement you issued on Monday, July 25, 2016 which was made available to members of the press (print and electronic media) entitled: ‘The corrupt Speaker Yakubu Dogara and his 3-man cabal.’

“The personal references are obviously directed at our client and amount to a very serious libel. By the said publication and without putting to the public any shred of evidence, our client is portrayed as a criminal, corrupt, dishonest, fraudulent, dishonourable and unfit to hold the position of Speaker of House of Representatives.
“Our client’s reputation has further been brought down in the estimation of right thinking members of the society and he has been thrown into public opprobrium, odium, scorn and ridicule.

“Sequel to the above, we have to request you to submit immediately to us a clear and unqualified apology and retraction of the publication in an equally conspicuous position in all the print and electronic media where the publication appeared. Take notice that in the event of your failure/refusal to comply with the above mentioned demands within seven days of your receipt of this letter, we have further instructions to institute a suit against you in a court of law. If we have to pursue this course, we shall be claiming aggravated and exemplary damages,” Dogara said in the statement.

However, the All Progressives Congress, (APC), to which both Dogara and Jibrin belong, made an attempt to intervene into the matter when it met with the duo separately early August. That meeting culminated in the party writing two letters to the duo on August 4, directing them to stop making further public comments on the matter.

However, two days later, Jibrin broke his silence and issued another statement containing other allegations.
The House leadership, had, while describing Jibrin’s allegations as wild, baseless and outright false, said that it would not join issues in the media with the lawmaker.
Jibrin’s latest allegations included all the 10 principal officers of the House, where he alleged that the 10 of them put together got N10 billion “illegal” allowances throughout their stay so far in the green chamber.

In the allegations, Jibrin said Dogara, who has been in the House since 2007, got N1.5bn; Lasun (2011-date) N800m; House leader, Femi Gbajabiamila (2003-date) N1.2bn; deputy leader, Umar Buba Jibril (2007-date) N1.2bn; chief whip Doguwa (2007-date) N1.2bn and deputy whip Pally Iriase (2011-date) N700m.

Others are minority leader Ogor (2003-date) N1.2bn; deputy minority leader Chukwuka Onyema (2007-2011) and (2015-date) N800m; minority whip; Yakubu Umar Barde (2003-date) N1.2bn and deputy minority whip Binta Bello (2011-date) N700m.

For the first time since the scandal broke out, Jibrin indicted himself last week by admitting that he collected the sum of N650 million as part of allowances and running cost from 2011 to date.

He said in a statement last Saturday that “Abdulmumin Jibrin has been in the House 2011-date 650 million naira. I have records and account of how I spent every penny that I have taken. Infact it has been published in a 150 page book.

“However, I have never been comfortable with the money! Thank God the wasteful allowances regime has reached its Waterloo! The country and House will be better off,” he said.

However, Chief Whip, Alhassan Ado Doguwa, in his reaction dismissed Jibrin’s allegations as baseless.

“There is nothing new to respond to. As far as I am concerned, all that Jibrin had said and whatever he may have to say in the future are not true. They are baseless and false claims from a man, who up till now, has not come out of the shock of his removal as chairman of the committee on appropriations.

“Jibrin has lost credibility in the face of the law and in the eyes of every reasonable Nigerian. He has no regards whatsoever for truth or falsehood. I therefore urge Nigerians to disregard every statement from Jibrin because they are malicious and unfounded.

“The fact is that we now have a case of a man who is confused and demoralized and could therefore say all kinds of rubbish thinking that Nigerians would believe him. For me, Jibrin is now a complete replica of the American politician, ‘Donald Trump,’ who would say whatever he wants to say without minding its political and legal consequences.

“A typical example of his inconsistencies is the way he now named all the 10 principal officers and not the only 4 he had earlier allegedly indicted. Jibrin is a sheer disappointment and an embarrassment to the National Assembly as an institution,” he said.

With Jibrin’s determination and zeal, it appears the budget padding allegations may not die any time soon.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/politics/budget-padding-the-scandal-that-refuses-to-go-away/161212.html

Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by HungerBAD: 5:17am On Sep 03, 2016
Two things stood out.

Lawmakers were enticed with $25,000 to add N40 Billion into the Budget illegally.

I am ashamed of these guys. I am not even a politician,but at my level in Iife,if I am approached with $200,000 or any amount to sign anything that bothers on corruption ,I can say piss off without regretting it.

The house of Assembly and her leadership should be overhauled by the APC.

Jubrin should continue opening the secrets.

This is one embarrassment too many.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by ificatchmodeh: 5:20am On Sep 03, 2016
Okay..
Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by endtimeshit(m): 5:21am On Sep 03, 2016
The problem is that these 'inserted projects' will still not be executed if this padding was not discovered. These politicians dey really do us strong thing

5 Likes

Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by sheyguy: 5:27am On Sep 03, 2016
I thank God for this government. Who would av known the extent of padding going on?

1 Like

Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by lecturerdabo(m): 5:32am On Sep 03, 2016
"Replicca of American politician Donald Trump" abi

Well, Alhassan Ado Doguwa and Nigerians should expect a shade from Trump soonest!

At least Donald Trump no dey carry last!!

And Him never steal him people dry like our Nigerian PILITHIEFIANS!!!
Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by Babzrockman: 5:48am On Sep 03, 2016
Despite Buhari resistance to signing the budget as a result of padding, these guys still maneuver their ways. No wonder, Dogara was full of smile when Buhari was signing the budget.

Meanwhile, were Buhari not hesistance to signing the budget, these lawmakers would have recessed us before now.

1 Like

Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by Justiyke4u: 6:04am On Sep 03, 2016
Who is still talking about that one
Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by vedaxcool(m): 6:10am On Sep 03, 2016
angry bring wood and oil....ok just arrest them
Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by modath(f): 6:10am On Sep 03, 2016
I sincerely hope Jibrin will not chicken out when the NASS resumes plenary! ! He should bring the same fire he has been unleashing in both the traditional and social media...

We need to see some fireworks when they resume from their undeserved recess, don't people have to actually have put work in to deserve "rest"? undecided

In Saner climes, with the recession and security issues besieging the nation, these overpaid but under delivering imps would have cut short their "break" to light fire under the executive ass but no, the always and simple pads they inserted into the budget is all they have interest in... bunch of Oloshis .

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by Nobody: 6:26am On Sep 03, 2016
Modath u see wetin happen for Brazil?
Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by clefstone(m): 8:29am On Sep 03, 2016
Call me when someone is convicted
Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by sammyj: 8:30am On Sep 03, 2016
In a saner country the entire masses would be out in the street and in front of the NA to protest the selfish evil act but in corrupt prone country like Nigeria were masses see corruption as part or way of life things like this is just a child's play and might be wept under the carpet. We still have a long way to go if we want to develop for the good and better future. What i want is heads to roll no matter who may be involved!!! cool undecided
Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by JonSnow(m): 8:31am On Sep 03, 2016
Apc! Change! grin
Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by Miles300: 8:34am On Sep 03, 2016
lecturerdabo:
"Replicca of American politician Donald Trump" abi

Well, Alhassan Ado Doguwa and Nigerians should expect a shade from Trump soonest!

At least Donald Trump no dey carry last!!

And Him never steal him people dry like our Nigerian PILITHIEFIANS!!!
trump is a realist they say things as it is without hiding anything ...
Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by jtjohn(m): 8:36am On Sep 03, 2016
please tell Dogara to resign to save him from all this embarrassment..........My Good people of Edo election na next Saturday make we vote Not Fight......before u think of fighting, killing, carrying guns and selling ur conscience for money remember say all this politicians are not worth it...........

Vote Not Fight

1 Like

Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by Miles300: 8:40am On Sep 03, 2016
It's funny how govt is not taking this serious , if it were to be an opposition we all know wat wud have happen ...they are busy prosecuting saraki of an act years back , not that am in support of him . But look out wat is going on in the house , that in most country is a national embarassment but here is just one of those things and we wud move on .. Certainly the presidency is in support of such practices , if no action can be taken as a way of deterrance atleast to send a signal to others that the anti corruption war is real then everyone will sit up in the house .. Rubbish

1 Like

Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by Osmondinho(m): 8:41am On Sep 03, 2016
All Nigeria Politicians both past, dead, present and alive have been playing on Nigerians gullibility since 1800

I think Jungle justice should also be meted out on them too...

Click LIKE for Jungle Justice ... SHARE for Long Court Processes

2 Likes

Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by prinsam30: 8:43am On Sep 03, 2016
Siîlly Bunch Of Glorified Lunatics running the affairs of this great Country since 1999AD
Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by GoldenJAT(m): 8:47am On Sep 03, 2016
lets c how this turns out!this aint over yet
Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by bejeria101(m): 8:47am On Sep 03, 2016
Una daura cowbender get sense b4?
Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by seunaj: 8:47am On Sep 03, 2016
Did anyone else notice that attention has shifted from Saraki’s mata since this budget padding issue came up. I don't support corruption but seriously, I stand with the notion that says EVERY LAW MAKER WAS ELECTED TO PAD THE BUDGET. As a matter of fact, this is not the first time and it will still not b the last time budget will be padded. I have an unconfirmed feeling that this was staged in affiliation with Saraki’s cohorts to divert Nigerians attention from the real Thief(s). Only the wise would understand

1 Like

Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by Toluwani111: 8:54am On Sep 03, 2016
T

Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by tuoyoojo(m): 8:55am On Sep 03, 2016
these politicians are not to solution to our problems....

they are the problem itself
Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by Starships4u(m): 8:59am On Sep 03, 2016
Hmmmm A guy having a female as a best friend is like having a chicken as a pet, you will eat it someday...... Whats your view
Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by Amanwulu1(m): 9:01am On Sep 03, 2016
I'm very sure nothing will come out of dis bc some apc anointed ones are involved, however, let d exposure continue. Gbapue nu onwe unu afo. Ndi oshi azuru azu.
Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by Jollyana(f): 9:07am On Sep 03, 2016
All this lie lie investigations. APC is just shielding him all this while. And soon they will be shouting corruption corruption. And where is justice Abang?
Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by armadeo(m): 9:07am On Sep 03, 2016
Lick mouth

1 Like

Re: Budget Padding: The Scandal That Refuses To Go Away- Daily Trust by idris4r83(m): 9:08am On Sep 03, 2016
Ghhhhhb

(1) (2) (Reply)

NUJ Leadership Denies Walking Out On Lai Mohammed / Buni Hails Protocols Committee, Says All Now Set For APC National Convention / 2023 Polls: PDP Ready To Flush Out APC From Lagos — Jandor Boasts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.