Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,522 members, 7,836,994 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Should Prince Charles Get A Job? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Should Prince Charles Get A Job? (1509 Views)

Poll: Should Prince Charles Get A Job?

Yes: 50% (3 votes)
No: 50% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Charles Antwi Tries To Kill Mahama, Ghanaian President (Photo) / Prince Charles Of England Is taking Arabic Lessons So He Can Read The Koran / Heavy Student riots in London, Police and Prince Charles attacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by AloyEmeka9: 5:59pm On Oct 04, 2009
Should Prince Charles get a job?
This guy has spent his life dossing. He walks around the place with his hands behind his back all the time, making it clear by his body language that if asked to do something he will not, under any circumstances. He gets paid by the rents from a county!!!! , and the Brits think this is normal, acceptable and if anyone has an opinion to the contrary, then all hell breaks loose. Has the British nation gone stark raving mad?

Here's what the "royals" get paid per year:

Civil List and annuities (their expenditures)net: 8,902,000
Grants-in-Aid (this is what is voted to keep their expenses up): 28,500,000
Privy Purse: 6,536,000
Revenue from Duchy of Cornwall to Charles: 7,613,000

For a total of 51,511,000

All in pounds sterling, so do the conversion to naira.
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by Seun(m): 6:08pm On Oct 04, 2009
51 million pounds sterling isn't a lot of money really on the grand scheme of things. cheesy
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by AloyEmeka9: 9:36pm On Oct 04, 2009
51 milla na big money. Are you a Nigerian politician because it's only them that will see 51million pounds as change. I like prince Charles tho because he hated George Bush.
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by Seun(m): 9:44pm On Oct 04, 2009
51 million pounds is nothing compared to the trillions they are spending on bailouts and wars these days.
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by Nobody: 3:32am On Oct 05, 2009
na him luck.
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by spikedcylinder: 4:49pm On Oct 05, 2009
51 million pounds is not even half of what some celebrities make in a year. Then again, the celebs work for their money. . . .
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by AloyEmeka9: 6:44pm On Oct 06, 2009
How many celebrities in this world make almost $100m a year after taxes?
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by spikedcylinder: 7:54pm On Oct 06, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

How many celebrities in this world make almost $100m a year after taxes?

Almost? After taxes? Does anyone in the royal family pay taxes?
Anyway, to answer your question :
Oprah Winfery earns $275 per year, George Lucas - $170m, Madonna - $110m, Celin Dion - $100, Jerry Bruckheimer - $100, Even Dr Phil earns $80m.
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by AloyEmeka3: 12:24am On Oct 07, 2009
That's why I said after taxes. Buckingham palace do not pay taxes and their are few celebrities who earn that much after paying their taxes[at least in the UK]. Your list are mainly Americans.
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by Nobody: 10:53am On Oct 07, 2009
Buckingham palace do not pay taxes??
Are you sure about that?

Anyways, all the royals should get off their back sides and get a proper job.

If William isn't flying the RAF helicopter to Miss Middleton's apartment today it is his brother Harry tomorrow, falling out of Boujis.

Maybe its the other woman and her daughter hitting the clubs.

I must say though that I like Prince Charles' Duchy biscuits.
They are off the chain.
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by spikedcylinder: 10:59am On Oct 07, 2009
Aloy`Emeka:

That's why I said after taxes. Buckingham palace do not pay taxes and their are few celebrities who earn that much after paying their taxes[at least in the UK]. Your list are mainly Americans.

What's wrong if they are mainly Americans? I thought this conversation started when someone said "51 million is not that much on the grand scheme of things"?
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by GEW: 11:05am On Oct 07, 2009
you need to know how much her majestyand the rest of the firm brings to the british exchequers yearly.  they duly pay for themselves so dont worry.  charles other business intersts pay enough tax too.

while looking at this why not look at those good for nothing obas, obis and emirs in every corner of motherland costing the govt loads of money/ are they still fit for purpose?
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by Epiphany(m): 11:27am On Oct 07, 2009
Aloy`Emeka:

By Buckingham palace, i assume that you mean the Queen?

The Queen pays taxes. If you google (Queen + Tax) you will find out all the kinds of tax she pays.

But on the issue of whether Prince Charles should get a job or not, i think he does have 'jobs'. He has all sorts of charities and Business interests in the UK and around the world promoting good business and corporate governance, CSR, youth empowerment programs, health issues and so on.

Other than that, a lot of his duties also include those of a 'statesman' - some form of governance (i dont understand how these british do their thing sha). He chairs government occassions, meets with other heads of state, travels to represent England at certain functions etc etc.
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 07, 2009
I just did a search and found that the Queen voluntarily started paying taxes in 1992/3
http://www.britroyals.com/faqs.htm

The Queen pays tax on a voluntary basis from her private income, but not on "head of state expenditure". But she did not pay almost £20m of inheritance tax after the death of the Queen Mother: this, says the royal website, is primarily because "constitutional impartiality requires an appropriate degree of independence for the sovereign".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/may/16/qanda.jubilee

But on the issue of whether Prince Charles should get a job or not, i think he does have 'jobs'. He has all sorts of charities and Business interests in the UK and around the world promoting good business and corporate governance, CSR, youth empowerment programs, health issues and so on.
This isn't entirely true.
The 'jobs' you described do not fetch him extra dosh.
The charities, business interests, youth programmes etc you refer to are duties he is obviously expected to carry out. To me, it does not come across as a 'job', rather a 'chore'.

Having said that, The prince does have and run his own businesses. He is into farming and owns all Duchy branded products.
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by DisGuy: 4:42pm On Oct 07, 2009
OMO IBO:

I just did a search and found that the Queen voluntarily started paying taxes in 1992/3

The Queen pays tax on a voluntary basis from her private income, but not on "head of state expenditure". But she did not pay almost £20m of inheritance tax after the death of the Queen Mother: this, says the royal website, is primarily because "constitutional impartiality requires an appropriate degree of independence for the sovereign".
The charities, business interests, youth programmes etc you refer to are duties he is obviously expected to carry out. To me, it does not come across as a 'job', rather a 'chore'.

Having said that, The prince does have and run his own businesses. He is into farming and owns all Duchy branded products.

shouldnt he get paid for this duties, meeting wi5th the sultan of a dozy country, shaking hands with some japanese visitors, promoting the country up and down-not speaking your mind is not exactly exciting

come to think of it, what does the oba of benin, igbnedion*, sultan of sokoto numerous 'elders' of the niger delta
what do they actually do i know for sure they get loads of money from govt!
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by citizenY(m): 5:04pm On Oct 07, 2009
OYA Tokunbohs

E don do. Your Oba, Emir or OBi dey pay tax?

Do you know that they have access to local government allocation -5% or so
And some of them have more than 1 local government in their domains.

All that oyibo queen own no worry me, come back home

Do they really deserve this money, for what job?
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by Epiphany(m): 6:26pm On Oct 07, 2009
OMO IBO:

I beg to differ on that o. i think that he must be getting some allowances or in the worst case, goodwill from these relationships. Like you have rightly stated, Prince Charles as a prince is expected to do certain things. . . i agree to that one. Even though he is not getting paid from these 'charitable' ventures, he is getting paid for doing those duties by the government. Somehow somehow, there is no free lunch and he is getting paid for doing those things.

Somehow, after living and working in the UK, i have this feeling that NOBODY, absolutely NOBODY gets away with getting paid for doing absolutely nothing. Well to be honest, there may be a few people sha. . . but i dont thing that the Prince is one of them.
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 07, 2009
Dis Guy:

shouldnt he get paid for this duties, meeting wi5th the sultan of a dozy country, shaking hands with some japanese visitors, promoting the country up and down-not speaking your mind is not exactly exciting

come to think of it, what does the oba of benin, igbnedion*, sultan of sokoto numerous 'elders' of the niger delta
what do they actually do i know for sure they get loads of money from govt!

I love the humour in your post.

Talk of speaking his mind, Prince Charles does actually speak his mind.
Dude goes on the rampage when pple talk about the climate and organic food.

As for those rapscallions in Nigeria . . . . . . .BLOODY VAGABONDS!
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 07, 2009
Epiphany:

I beg to differ on that o. i think that he must be getting some allowances or in the worst case, goodwill from these relationships. Like you have rightly stated, Prince Charles as a prince is expected to do certain things. . . i agree to that one. Even though he is not getting paid from these 'charitable' ventures, he is getting paid for doing those duties by the government. Somehow somehow, there is no free lunch and he is getting paid for doing those things.

Somehow, after living and working in the UK, i have this feeling that NOBODY, absolutely NOBODY gets away with getting paid for doing absolutely nothing. Well to be honest, there may be a few people sha. . . but i dont thing that the Prince is one of them.

Well, maybe goodwill gestures (even this has a comma) but not extra dosh.

I do no envisage the British govt paying him any extra for carrying out his duty. The system is tight-fisted. Going by the scandal that rocked the house of parliament this summer, I may be wrong. Prince Charles may infact be getting paid
Re: Should Prince Charles Get A Job? by AloyEmeka3: 8:08pm On Oct 07, 2009
What's wrong if they are mainly Americans? I thought this conversation started when someone said "51 million is not that much on the grand scheme of things"?

The only issue with your analogy with American celebrities is the economy in UK and US are not the same. They plan their remuneration using their own economic scale. 51m pounds may not be a lot of money for one to make in America or Nigeria[via embezzlement] but it's surely a lot in UK.

(1) (Reply)

Genocide Against Afrikaners In South Africa,un Told. / Topless Women March In Central Park For Right To Bare Breasts / Queen Elizabeth Ii Husband Mocked Obasanjo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.