Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,727 members, 7,955,753 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:20 PM

Alien Life: Fiction Becoming A Reality? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Alien Life: Fiction Becoming A Reality? (879 Views)

Vaporesso Revenger Kit Vs SMOK T-PRIV Kit Vs SMOK Alien Kit / Is Alien Life EVERYWHERE? A New Radical Theory / Mark Zuckerberg, Yuri Milner And Stephen Hawking To Begin Search For Alien Life. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alien Life: Fiction Becoming A Reality? by IBvoss(m): 7:13am On Sep 03, 2016
Alien life has fascinated humans since our own awareness that such a thing could exist. And with the recent discovery of an Earth-Like planet around a star in our cosmic backyard, tantalizing new questions are being raised about the possibility of finding life elsewhere in the universe.

NASA's Kepler mission has thus far found thousands of exo-planets, of which approximately 40 are believed to be in or near the "Goldilocks Zone" — a just-right spot in orbit around a star where it's neither too hot nor too cold to support life as we know it. Now, scientists have found such a planet orbiting a star down our own cosmic "block" — a possible rocky planet around Proxima Centauri, our closest star. They have christened it Proxima b.
Proxima Centauri is a mere 4.22 light-years away from Earth. It is a red dwarf, which is the fate that awaits our own sun in about 4 billion years. Measurements indicate that Proxima b is a rocky planet, just slightly larger than Earth, orbiting the star at the right distance to be able to support liquid water on its surface, and thus perhaps life.

I believe that there is life all over our universe, since it would be the height of arrogance to think that we are alone. Moreover, I believe that at some point, life on Earth will die out, either from natural causes, or from our own doing. To me, this is a natural progression, just like individual lives on our planet. Unlike many people, including several of my astronaut colleagues, I don't think that technology will save us. Indeed, there are strong arguments that after enabling life to thrive, technology is now hastening our collective demise. But that discussion is for another time.

Life is always starting in some parts of the universe at the same time that it is dying out in others. We don't know about each other, simply because the distances are so vast. To send a spacecraft even just to our next-door neighbor Proxima Centauri, using humans currents travel technology, would take almost 80,000 years. So, we won't easily find evidence of alien life around another star, especially those that are hundreds of millions of light-years away, or more.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cqo9oxbWAAA6M89.jpg

Source: https://newssuite..com.ng/2016/09/alien-life-fiction-becoming-reality_2.html
Re: Alien Life: Fiction Becoming A Reality? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Sep 03, 2016
....fiction ke
Re: Alien Life: Fiction Becoming A Reality? by Blakjewelry(m): 7:13pm On Sep 03, 2016
The prospect of traveling to an exoplanet is closer than many people envisage, op have heard about the breakthrough initiative being partly funded by Facebook founder. My take is we should be looking for planet far younger than earth if we ever hope of colonizing any and the issue of finding extraterrestrial civilization, I think nature played a fast one us by putting so much distance to equation
Re: Alien Life: Fiction Becoming A Reality? by taurus25(m): 3:04pm On Sep 05, 2016
Theres a project called the starshot project that can send nano spacecrafts travelling at up to 20% the speed of light. Hopefully with such technology we can get to proxima centauri in just 20 years
Re: Alien Life: Fiction Becoming A Reality? by Blakjewelry(m): 7:15pm On Sep 05, 2016
taurus25:
Theres a project called the starshot project that can send nano spacecrafts travelling at up to 20% the speed of light. Hopefully with such technology we can get to proxima centauri in just 20 years
But it is still kinda far, it is proposed for 2036
Re: Alien Life: Fiction Becoming A Reality? by taurus25(m): 7:23pm On Sep 05, 2016
Blakjewelry:

But it is still kinda far, it is proposed for 2036
i know right....a reason why it is projected that far is maybe within the timeframe from now till that time a better technology would be discovered
Re: Alien Life: Fiction Becoming A Reality? by Blakjewelry(m): 7:43pm On Sep 05, 2016
taurus25:

i know right....a reason why it is projected that far is maybe within the timeframe from now till that time a better technology would be discovered
Yeah especially the laser system that will propel the ship, right now there is still a lot to be done.

(1) (Reply)

Hilarious Old School Tech Difficulties That Kids These Days Will Not Understand / Need For Speed Rivals PC Game Free Download / Vacancy Vacancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.