Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,779 members, 7,820,722 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

What Makes A Good Moderator? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Makes A Good Moderator? (6105 Views)

What Makes You Special? / What Makes A Man Happy? / What makes a "big boy" or "big girl"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes A Good Moderator? by manmustwac(m): 12:03am On Oct 05, 2009
After going through the topic Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently and reading poster 49 by Redman44 who said this

@ Aspiring Moderators and Assistants

Moderating on Forums is not a child's play. Apart from all the rules Seun Osewa has laid, you have to be very knowledgeable to keep the threads fresh. It is not just about holding the position, and banning and unbanning posters or contributors. A moderator has to constantly conceive new ways to keep a thread going. He or she must be able to come up with new angles and approaches to the issue being discussed. Good internet and archival research skills should be a virtue of Nairaland Moderators. Moderators should also be able to present their ideas clearly and possess good writing skills. I'm not saying you have to be another Wole Soyinka to be a good Moderator, but you've got to be good with words. A Moderator must also be able to edit posts and urge posters to come up with new angles to the information they provide.

Nairaland is growing in leaps and bounds and there are many foreigners travelling through the site. Seun, you need to get quality Moderators if you want to get solid investors. If you care to know, your site was discussed recently on the Jubilee Line on the London Underground recently.

I feel aspiring moderators should go to www.gumtree.com and check the site's forums. Look at how Bluey and Montezuma are doing their thing as Gumtree forum moderators. You can learn a thing or two from them. Have a nice weekend. Cheers.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-322421.32.html#msg4527943

As Nairaland's newest moderator (monday 5th of October is my 8th day to be precise) i can honestly say that i can't boast of any of the above (apart from being on nairaland about 400 days a year) but i've taken note of the points made by redman44 and i'm working on them.
So to all you aspiring moderators out there i want you to say why you want to moderate? How you'll improve Nairaland if your selected? And What Makes A Good Moderator?  smiley

A good moderator should be:
1) a good referee (not let personal feelings or sentiments get in the way when making decisions to ban delete move etc)?
2) a regular contributor (spend a minimum of 45 minutes on nairaland everyday and have a minimum of 5 posts everyday?
3) a good communicator (someone with good writing skills)?
4) somebody who is knowledgeable about the section he/she is moderating (and be passionate about the job)?
5) somebody who always participates in new threads (if no one else dose) and is very creative in keeping good threads alive (to stop them dieing prematurely)?
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by Nobody: 1:20am On Oct 05, 2009
All of the above cheesy

2 votes ko
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by Sissy3(f): 3:27am On Oct 05, 2009
all but methinks the 4,1 and 5 are more imprt.
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by remoranger(m): 11:32am On Oct 05, 2009
just a qucik question,

do you guyz get paid?
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by mrperfect(m): 11:39am On Oct 05, 2009
Apart from 2 which is not to be taken exactly, all the above is welcome.
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by MUNEER2(m): 11:46am On Oct 05, 2009
Those are all good points, but i think a good moderator should spend more than 45 minutes on naira land.

My first day on NL was a shock. The fist comment i read was someone calling another person a goat, all in the name

of argument. This is not too good for NL, cos i believe so much that no moderator wouldn't have deleted such a

comment, and God knows how many thousands more read that comment after i did.

Everyone can be a moderator with all these outlined characteristics, but few can be a 'good moderator', because it

takes extra effort to attain that 'good' as one's qualification

Thanks to Redman44
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by mbulela: 11:56am On Oct 05, 2009
remoranger:

just a qucik question,

do you guyz get paid?

i think this is an NGO, in that case the answer is No.
moderators, i lie??
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by honsule(m): 12:00pm On Oct 05, 2009
I spend more time on Nairaland than even reading my books. 24/7 am online,either on phone or on my pc. Am Always on phone section.i hardly branch to other sections.But right now i chose to visit other sections.
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by manmustwac(m): 1:08pm On Oct 05, 2009
remoranger:

just a qucik question,

do you guyz get paid?

its a voluntary dude
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by Nezan(m): 1:14pm On Oct 05, 2009
A good moderator should be fair, knowledgeable and not vindictive.
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Oct 05, 2009
Moderators here are quick to delete posts and ban people. I wonder what else they can be good at!

Mcheeeeeeeew. angry
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by thanz(m): 2:00pm On Oct 05, 2009
You should have enough time to spend on it, be patient and above all you should love doing it if not, you'll get stressed up, upset and discouraged.
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by THEAMAKA(f): 2:14pm On Oct 05, 2009
just the thread i was looking for.

Seun please tell me who "TheMist" is.
this guy has been flooding the front page, and most of the time with senseless threads.
im not trying to be rude but some of the DUMBEST of the dumbest threads have made front page.
why?
and why are there 20+ topics being thrown on everyday.
what happened to posting threads that would be good to bring attention to.
some people may not ever go to the politics section or anything like that but they do view and go pass the front page.
so posting threads there to bring real light to should be the priority.
not dumb jokes, controversial issues with nut-heads in them, and things that just make no sense whatsoever.
lately this place has turned into a jungle and its not as organized as it used to be.
im just saying, cause for the past couple of days, its been really annoying.

as for good moderators.
ah, idk.

just Seun im begging you ooo!!   angry
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by THEAMAKA(f): 2:52pm On Oct 05, 2009
hmmm someone's post was deleted.
strange.
shocked
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by noetic15(m): 2:54pm On Oct 05, 2009
THE AMAKA:

hmmm someone's post was deleted.
strange.
shocked

are u surprised? grin . . , .some goons hate hearing divergent opinions . . . .
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by THEAMAKA(f): 2:57pm On Oct 05, 2009
i dont want to be banned, but we should NOT BE STOPPED FROM EXPRESSING OURSELVES AND OUR VIEWS ABOUT THIS SITE.
gosh, some people.

why cant we speak anymore?

but seriously this site is turning into a jungle and the new mod/site administrator is not doing a good job either.
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by ifyalways(f): 3:02pm On Oct 05, 2009
Manmustwac is now a mod?  cheesy
@Topic,a mod should not engage in YIM amebo and gbegborun.When u climb a palm tree and start pointing accusing fingers to ppl putting on torn clothes,someone down there is also seeing and laughing at your torn rotten pants.  cool
BTW,mods cant ban.
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by noetic15(m): 3:05pm On Oct 05, 2009
THE AMAKA:

i dont want to be banned, but we should NOT BE STOPPED FROM EXPRESSING OURSELVES AND OUR VIEWS ABOUT THIS SITE.
gosh, some people.

why cant we speak anymore?

but seriously this site is turning into a jungle and the new mod/site administrator is not doing a good job either.

This is a universal chorus sang by several forumites . . . . . shocked shocked
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by Epiphany(m): 3:10pm On Oct 05, 2009
Guys: I wanted to reply to that post that was deleted and suddenly found out that it was not there anymore. I dont think that it is such a nice thing to do. . . to delete people's opinions. As far as i know, there was nothing derogatory or insulting on that post. It may have been a bit sarcastic, but nothing too bad!
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by noetic15(m): 3:14pm On Oct 05, 2009
Epiphany:

Guys: I wanted to reply to that post that was deleted and suddenly found out that it was not there anymore. I dont think that it is such a nice thing to do. . . to delete people's opinions. As far as i know, there was nothing derogatory or insulting on that post. It may have been a bit sarcastic, but nothing too bad!

welcome to nairaland, where future leaders are made  grin
are u surprised that yaradua, obj, ibb et all always clamp down on the media when ever they are criticized? . . ,  . this is where it begins from. . .not having a tough skin to accommodate criticism. . .it also explains why the likes of Dele Giwa was killed.

can u imagine our resident mod as the president of nigeria. . . . .would he/she fair any better? I guess not. 
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by Epiphany(m): 3:33pm On Oct 05, 2009
noetic15:

welcome to nairaland, where future leaders are made grin
are u surprised that yaradua, obj, ibb et all always clamp down on the media when ever they are criticized? . . , . this is where it begins from. . .not having a tough skin to accommodate criticism. . .it also explains why the likes of Dele Giwa was killed.

can u imagine our resident mod as the president of nigeria. . . . .would he/she fair any better? I guess not.

Abeg o, make you take sofry dey talk. Make dem no ban us! grin grin grin
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by MUNEER2(m): 3:44pm On Oct 05, 2009
Epiphany:

Abeg o, make you take sofry dey talk. Make dem no ban us! grin grin grin

Na true talk ooooo grin grin grin!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by ifyalways(f): 3:47pm On Oct 05, 2009
i cant believe u guys are scared . . .does any mod/super mod/site admin feed me?NO
Do they pay my bills?NO
who are they?faceless ppl like me cheesy
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 05, 2009
ifyalways:

i cant believe u guys are scared . . .does any mod/super mod/site admin feed me?NO
Do they pay my bills?NO

With the power to ban you and stop your favourite past-time! cheesy
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by dayokanu(m): 4:15pm On Oct 05, 2009
Impartiality is the major thing. If A gets banned for one offence, B too should get banned for the same offence
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by Epiphany(m): 4:17pm On Oct 05, 2009
ifyalways:

Do they pay my bills?NO

We are not scared o. . . just being a bit playful.

Personally, i enjoy reading and contributing to these threads. Some of them are outright hilarious and keep me laughing for days. It is amusing to see how we as Nigerians, think, act and relate to one another concerning certain issues. Banning me will just make me angry with the moderators and put a sour taste in my mouth. Even tho i can always re-join again (with a different name), it wont be the same.

However, i think that instead of outright banning someone, the moderator. . . or whoever is responsible for it should call that person aside and give reasons why whatever the person wrote is not acceptable. Probably give a warning or two. I dont know if that is being done now o, so forgive my ignorance if it is a process that is currently followed.
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by MUNEER2(m): 4:19pm On Oct 05, 2009
ifyalways:

Do they pay my bills?NO
                                            who are they?faceless ppl like me  cheesy

We weren't scared, just a funny way to tell them to stop grin
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 05, 2009
Thank God say they don unbann me sef!
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Oct 05, 2009
I am short of words. Well, what can i say, nice post.
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by MUZBO(m): 7:04pm On Oct 05, 2009
@poster, if you are the same punk bigot I sometimes see in the religion section throwing insults around then Seun don fall my hand as you come be mod. If you aint the one then I'm truly sorry, just think of me as Big Brother!
Re: What Makes A Good Moderator? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Oct 05, 2009
@ topic

Una too dey complain. Make Seun make una moderators now, you'll start complaining about the members.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Life About? / Download And Watch The 57th Annual Grammy Awards (2015) / 17 Unknown Creatures That Were Washed Up On The Beach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.