Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,044 members, 7,818,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Meet The First Openly Gay Anglican Bishop (photos) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Meet The First Openly Gay Anglican Bishop (photos) (764 Views)

Anglican Bishop Drags 3 Priests To Court / Pastors Riot Against Anglican Bishop, Close Down Church In Sapele (Video) / This Female Nigerian Anglican Priest Will Officiate Wedding Of Gay Bisi Alimi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The First Openly Gay Anglican Bishop (photos) by Uzohow: 6:30pm On Sep 03, 2016

A British bishop has become the first in the Church of England — the mother church of the worldwide Anglican faith — to announce he is homosexual, in an interview published Saturday.

Nicholas Chamberlain, the Bishop of Grantham in central England, told the Guardian newspaper he was in a long-term relationship with his male partner, after a
Sunday paper reportedly said it was about to publish a story on his private life.

“It was not my decision to make a big thing about coming out,” he said, adding that he adhered to church guidelines which stipulate that gay clergy must be celibate.

“People know I’m gay, but it’s not the first thing I’d say to anyone. Sexuality is part of who I am, but it’s my ministry that I want to focus on.”

The church knew he was gay when he became a bishop last year, he revealed.

“I was myself. Those making the appointment knew about my sexual identity.”

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby, leader of the world’s Anglican faith, said Chamberlain’s sexuality was “completely irrelevant”.

“His appointment as Bishop of Grantham was made on the basis of his skills and calling to serve the church in the diocese of Lincoln,” he said.

“He lives within the bishops’ guidelines and his sexuality is completely irrelevant to his office.”

Chamberlain said of his relationship: “It is faithful, loving, we are like-minded, we enjoy each other’s company and we share each other’s life.”

A Church of England spokesman said it would have been “unjust” not to appoint him based due to his sexuality.

The Church of England dropped its opposition to gay clergymen in civil partnerships becoming bishops in 2013, although many of the Anglican faith worldwide — who number 80 million — were opposed.

The Anglican Church of Uganda in 2014 said it may consider breaking away from their mother church in England if it put Uganda under pressure over its tough anti-homosexuality law.

SEE MORE PHOTOS AT>>> https://michaeluzomamichael./2016/09/03/meet-the-first-openly-gay-anglican-bishop-who-has-been-in-a-relationship-with-his-partner-for-many-years-photos/
Re: Meet The First Openly Gay Anglican Bishop (photos) by ReInstalled(m): 6:33pm On Sep 03, 2016
embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Meet The First Openly Gay Anglican Bishop (photos) by Nobody: 6:45pm On Sep 03, 2016
How would he preach against fornication? How would he consecrate marriage?
Re: Meet The First Openly Gay Anglican Bishop (photos) by Arewa12: 6:52pm On Sep 03, 2016
kITATITA:
he would skip the topic!!!! Confuse set of people
Re: Meet The First Openly Gay Anglican Bishop (photos) by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 03, 2016
kITATITA:

According to the article, he is celibate.
Re: Meet The First Openly Gay Anglican Bishop (photos) by orisa37: 7:45pm On Sep 03, 2016
Father this is your creature who is now confessing but not repenting. Before we all become yoked with him in the Anglican Communion, please reveal Your Judgement and show us the way. In Jesus Mighty Name we Pray. AMEN!!!!
Re: Meet The First Openly Gay Anglican Bishop (photos) by Aaronsrod: 7:58pm On Sep 03, 2016
orisa37:

Father this is your creature who is now confessing but not repenting. Before we all become yoked with him in the Anglican Communion, please reveal Your Judgement and show us the way. In Jesus Mighty Name we Pray. AMEN!!!!
His judgement is written. So it shall be done. The sentence is death. In Jesus name let us pray it will be soon swift and harsh. Thunder fire him!
Re: Meet The First Openly Gay Anglican Bishop (photos) by lilmax(m): 8:16pm On Sep 03, 2016
nothing new.....this is to say sexuality doesn't matter as a Christian same way they said premarital sex is right as a Christian grin

jokers...... na all this kind church devil dey siddon for front seat

if you can't cope being a Christian just drop it, them no go kill you
Re: Meet The First Openly Gay Anglican Bishop (photos) by dotman4real007(m): 8:51pm On Sep 03, 2016
what is wrong with this goat of a bishop, they brought the gospel to africa and with what is going on now we seem to understand the religion far better than them.
Re: Meet The First Openly Gay Anglican Bishop (photos) by Acepen(m): 9:24pm On Sep 03, 2016
dotman4real007:
what is wrong with this goat of a bishop, they brought the gospel to africa and with what is going on now we seem to understand the religion far better than them.
no we carried the burden of religion and stupidity far better than them

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between African & Oyibo Masquerades? - Man Asks. Photos / The Nigerian God / MMM: The Beginning Of Misery.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.