Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,561 members, 7,847,334 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 03:38 PM

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) - Foreign Affairs (1768) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) (6261917 Views)

Am I The Only One Whos Tired Of This Kenya Is Ahead Thread / Femi Adesina: "I Don't Lie, No Matter What"; Nigerians React / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1765) (1766) (1767) (1768) (1769) (1770) (1771) ... (9933) (Go Down)

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by robosky02(m): 9:38pm On May 22, 2018
ednited:

Robo
how you dear missed you
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by obaaderemi: 10:47pm On May 22, 2018
theenchanter:
I just wanna counter some of ur claims, not about which is better or not.
1..... electricity.. Nigeria is poor in electricity but not as poor as saying "there's no light in Nigeria" I stay in Lagos and I enjoy between 18-20hrs supply, some areas maybe poorer than that n some may be better and some are worse. Nobody is contributing to buy transformer in Nigeria, stop ur bogus claims.

2...... access to water supply in Nigeria is about 70% in Nigeria.

3..... Lagos is a city that's close to d Atlantic Ocean, u can expect flooding, only the island part of d city are prone to flood, depending on d depth of d ocean. Even some states in the US are not excluded from floods.

4...... Nigerian student gets grants, not even loans.
Don't believe him. He is Kenyan and they are known for lies. Below are affluent Nairobi neighborhoods flooded silly after a heavy downpour, due to poor drainage. As you know Nairobi unlike Lagos is nowhere near the ocean. This is Meseum Hill and Kilimani.

4 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by nwoke37: 5:38am On May 23, 2018
68816419:

but i feel some northern states are more developed(Kano,Kaduna) than southern states(Abia.Ebonyi) and even more literate , take Kastina for example,

guy there may be few(very few) outliers but a look a the general picture would make one cry. The North as a whole is generally poorer than the South, no questions.

I mean where does polio(a disease that's been wiped out in most parts of the world) exist in Nigeria?

BTW Katsina has a very, very low literacy rate...

Even Kaduna and Kano have higher poverty levels than much of Southern Nigeria... even comapred to Abia and Ebonyi
[img]C:\Users\18326\Downloads\png_download50451.png[/img]
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 7:46am On May 23, 2018
Nowenuse:

Thank you. This is exactly the reason why a country like Kenya would never be taken seriously.
Everything about Kenya is in Nairobi.

Take away Nairobi from Kenya and Somalia would be better than the outcome.

You see, this is one reason why people think Kenya is better than Nigeria.
Since the Independence of Kenya, the Kenyan government has spent virtually all it's money into Nairobi alone. Why do you think Nairobi has the largest slums in the world?
There are no opportunities elsewhere in Kenya, hence every Kenyan from the nook and crannies of Kenya want to live in Nairobi...

If not for the secessionist agitations of the coastal swahilis of Kenya, the Kenyan govt would have never thought of developing Mombasa (the major port city of Kenya).

Haven't you wondered why Kenya is still an overwhelmingly rural country?

Nigeria on the other hand is a predominantly urban country and the country through the state governments simultaneously manage dozens of cities and urban areas.

Take me for instance, I am from a middle class Nigerian family. My father was also from a middle class family, likewise my grandfather.
We have never really known what poverty is in my lineage for generations now. With all this, neither I nor any of my family members or even extended families have lived in Lagos or had any connection with Lagos. Neither of us live in Abuja either. And there are so many million others like me all over Nigeria.

In a country like Kenya, this is almost non-existent. Almost every middle class kenyan or at least 90% of Kenya's middle class live in Nairobi.

If anyone here doubts me, let all the Kenyans here tell you where they live or earn their living from, it is always Nairobi.

There are over 40 million middle-class Nigerians and majority of us do not live in Lagos or even have any connection with Lagos.

This tells you how uneven development is in Kenya compared to Nigeria. This is why no reasonable person should take Kenya with high esteem or any seriousness when it comes to the kind of development they brag about in their country.

Obi1kenobi, Obaaderemi, TayserMahiri, kikuyu1

Please stop fooling yourself how did you get 40 million nigerians in middle class when only 11% of the country are in middle class isn't this a shame.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/05/world/africa/nigeria-goes-to-the-mall.html
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 8:10am On May 23, 2018
I told you do not believe a lot of the statistics from nigeria they are twisted. In nigeria if some one ends 5 us dollar a day or 2000 naira he is middle class
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 8:12am On May 23, 2018
What is wrong with Nigeria? grin grin

1 .Everyone appears to want to reap others off. Everyone suspects others of wanting to reap them off. Consequently, there’s no trust or love in the system. This has resulted in phrases/words like “shine your eyes”, “mugu”, maga”, etc. This lack of trust permeates every level of the society and has resulted in the enshrined cancer aka CORRUPTION. This has been exacerbated by failure of TRUE leadership from the people by the people and for the people. Hmmmm… Hope you got that. If not please read it again cos its a serious point. And perhaps the most important point.

2. The north appears to have a chronic distrust cum hatred for the south; and vice versa. Thats why they don’t work well together. They pretend to work together but its all a false pretense exemplified by the hopelessness of the situation in the country. You just need to hear what they say about each other in private.

3 .There’s a pathetic failure of the people in taking responsibility for themselves, their situation and consequence of their actions/inactions. The static default reaction to things is to blame others, rather than to take personal responsibility for failures. This has also enshrined a lackadaisical attitude to things so you often hear “manage it like that”; even when it's evidently not good enough. There’s also a systemic resolve to cope with things the way they are, in the hope that “God will do it” and things will suddenly get better. That’s another annoying phrase. Its like people just expect manna to fall from heaven.

4 .There’s also a subservient attitude that’s enshrined in Nigerian cultures. This allows so called rulers cum people in power to oppress the masses. This is only possible because the people allow a lot of nonsense to continue.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Danielnino00(m): 8:30am On May 23, 2018
Relief Atletico visit to Nigeria......

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Danielnino00(m): 8:46am On May 23, 2018
sufferNsmiling:

Please stop fooling yourself how did you get 40 million nigerians in middle class when only 11% of the country are in middle class isn't this a shame.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/05/world/africa/nigeria-goes-to-the-mall.html

See,if u are going to bring up data to defend ur argument,let it be from reliable sources the figure you quoted was given by standard bank group,south Africa...

when the hell did south Africa banks start making economic projections for Nigeria??
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Danielnino00(m): 8:48am On May 23, 2018
obaaderemi:
Don't believe him. He is Kenyan and they are known for lies. Below are affluent Nairobi neighborhoods flooded silly after a heavy downpour, due to poor drainage. As you know Nairobi unlike Lagos is nowhere near the ocean. This is Meseum Hill and Kilimani.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 8:52am On May 23, 2018
Where is the middle class?

On the campaign trail, Hillary Clinton, speaking of her plans for the American economy, said she wanted “to make the economy work for everyone, not just those at the top”. Social justice is an important theme in the upcoming US elections, one which elicits passion and feelings of outrage across board. We in Nigeria are all too comfortable with inequality in our society, which is seen as an almost inevitable fact.

When government’s plans for a social safety net were first announced, I was one of those who felt that finally, Nigerians would perceive direct benefits from their government, that is feel its presence in their lives, which had hardly ever been the case in a country grappling with chronic insecurity, power outages, a lack of running water, etc. However, as little has been said about plans to make sure that unemployed Nigerians who receive the N5000 monthly stipend have a long term way out of poverty, I believe it is now time to raise the alarm. We have a culture, in this country, of expecting and accepting gifts, “awoof”, “freebies” or whatever you want to call it.

Corruption in itself, is the belief that one can survive off of free money and handouts rather than relying on the real economy and its wages. It is worrisome that not much has been said about the long-term plans to end poverty in this country, beyond sporadic handouts which might not be sustainable. A country that produces next to nothing, that imports virtually everything, cannot afford to pay unproductive citizens to remain idle. Let us go back to Mrs Clinton’s quote mentioned earlier. The real question is, beyond handouts, how are we going to make the Nigerian economy work for everyone rather than just a few?

From 2010 to 2015 alone, Nigeria made N51 trillion in oil earnings. Where this money is now, why it hasn’t impacted the average Nigerian, is the crux of our problem as a country. We’ve always favoured a top-down approach, believing that our society and economy could function based on the would-be “trickle down” effect of corruption. But, the minute you remove oil from the equation, the whole system crumbles. From make-up artists, to party planners, everyone lived off the spoils of corruption.

In a system where contracts are awarded based on who one knows rather than what one has to offer, our current economic situation was inevitable. We’ve hardly ever focused on closing the income gap, choosing to celebrate the billionaires who make money from government patronage and ignoring the many who suffer because of this. There are many brilliant, hard working Nigerians who don’t have the luxury of a friend in government who can award them a contract right before their summer holidays.

For them, the frustration of not being able to apply their natural abilities in a society where one must know the MD of a company before so much as getting a foot in the door, is nothing short of a tragedy. A fairer society with a strong middle class is good for everyone but Nigerian politicians (many of whom are far from good policy makers) have revelled in their selfishness and small-mindedness, wanting to be “big men” with an army of sycophants and beneficiaries massaging their egos. So, we’ve ignored the first rule of capitalism and modern economics: if workers have more money (if the minimum wage is high enough and people get paid for working overtime) businesses will have more customers.

Most businesses commonly claim they can’t afford to increase salaries, with all the other costs they have to endure (power generation, high taxes etc). But in a country where government remains the highest employer of labour, things get stranger and stranger. Why can’t state governments afford to pay salaries if not because of corruption? Where does all the money go?

The supreme injustice done to the Nigerian people is the non-prosecution of corruption cases so that Nigeria’s money continuously goes to leeches and parasites, rather than creating opportunities for those willing to work. Those who voted for the APC thought they were getting an activist government, one that would literally “walk the talk”, recover stolen funds and invest in what a country needs to turn its citizens into productive individuals. There have been few debates on the state of our educational system, which produces robots who cram facts and figures but cannot create new ideas of their own. There have been even fewer debates about healthcare, beyond discussing the President’s medical tourism.

Redistributing some funds to those who desperately need help is a step in the right direction but on its own, this’ll remain a quick fix, a cosmetic measure. A lot has been said about creating jobs through investments in infrastructure, for example, but not enough has been said about concrete measures to create more fairness in our economy. One might say the stratified nature of the economy is the natural order of things: low paying jobs will always exist relative to higher paying jobs.

But in Nigeria poverty seems almost generational, and this is another facet of the great tragedy or injustice called corruption. With resources pulled away from the Nigerian system into the economies of Saudi Arabia, the United Kingdom and elsewhere, a child born into poverty has almost no prospects of ever escaping it. It is this sort of debate on how to lift as many Nigerians as possible into the middle class which is sorely missing in the polity. We have an all too religious understanding of poverty, thinking it is the will of God that some be poor and others rich. God doesn’t accept stealing, which is the cause of the abject poverty found in Nigeria today.

The justification of padding is another injustice, as it secretly allocates funds to projects which neither the executive nor the public have much knowledge of, ensuring their lack of completion is never scrutinised or queried.

I’ll end with a few quotes I believe every Nigerian should ponder, as we begin to finally think about what real change means:”Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children’s children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance”—Theodore Roosevelt.

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it”—Mark Twain. “The greatest patriotism is to tell your country when it is behaving dishonourably, foolishly, viciously.” —Julian Barnes, Flaubert’s Parrot.

I’m personally fed up of explaining to young children why they must love a country that does nothing for them and of debating over issues which are a thing of the past in other climes. What one expects from government, at this point, is the coordinated release of programmes which tackle our many issues from different angles.

Yes, corruption is at the centre of our problems. But without other measures to tackle the socio-economic gaps which encourage and enable corruption, we are doomed to see more mistakes, and more evil rise. This is the time to be bold, rather than timid and to prove that Nigeria is worth much more than the recycling of has-beens in power.

Sports ministry

Mr Dalung’s uniform has been, so far, his central attraction on social media but one should play close attention to rumours of Sports Ministry officials’ family members being sponsored to attend the Olympics in Rio in place of athletes’ coaches and other necessary assistants. What happened to the Presidents’ directive stating official outings shouldn’t be turned into opportunities for public officers to amuse themselves and their friends at the country’s expense?

Budget monitoring

News of the ICPC training government departments on effective budget monitoring is a welcome development. However, citizens need to be empowered to do the monitoring themselves. Indeed, officials and politicians will always protect each other. Transparency, that’s the real change Nigeria needs.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 9:04am On May 23, 2018
mtis:

1 .Everyone appears to want to reap others off. Everyone suspects others of wanting to reap them off. Consequently, there’s no trust or love in the system. This has resulted in phrases/words like “shine your eyes”, “mugu”, maga”, etc. This lack of trust permeates every level of the society and has resulted in the enshrined cancer aka CORRUPTION. This has been exacerbated by failure of TRUE leadership from the people by the people and for the people. Hmmmm… Hope you got that. If not please read it again cos its a serious point. And perhaps the most important point.

2. The north appears to have a chronic distrust cum hatred for the south; and vice versa. Thats why they don’t work well together. They pretend to work together but its all a false pretense exemplified by the hopelessness of the situation in the country. You just need to hear what they say about each other in private.

3 .There’s a pathetic failure of the people in taking responsibility for themselves, their situation and consequence of their actions/inactions. The static default reaction to things is to blame others, rather than to take personal responsibility for failures. This has also enshrined a lackadaisical attitude to things so you often hear “manage it like that”; even when it's evidently not good enough. There’s also a systemic resolve to cope with things the way they are, in the hope that “God will do it” and things will suddenly get better. That’s another annoying phrase. Its like people just expect manna to fall from heaven.

4 .There’s also a subservient attitude that’s enshrined in Nigerian cultures. This allows so called rulers cum people in power to oppress the masses. This is only possible because the people allow a lot of nonsense to continue.
What do you expect when the people are illiterates and cannot think. We nigerians in uk,sweden ,denmark, france, germany, canada, america and australia have the same problem when some one is stealing from us we are happy start smiling making noise try to show where big look where nigeria is today

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by kikuyu1(m): 9:26am On May 23, 2018
nwoke37:

guy there may be few(very few) outliers but a look a the general picture would make one cry. The North as a whole is generally poorer than the South, no questions.

I mean where does polio(a disease that's been wiped out in most parts of the world) exist in Nigeria?

Even Kaduna and Kano have higher poverty levels than much of Southern Nigeria... even comapred to Abia and Ebonyi

You're telling on yourselves! We also have our own Somali NE counties bringing down our mean but as always we trump you in literacy.
Its not even close,like all relevant comparisons.

Literacy: definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 78%
male: 81.1%
female: 74.9% (2015 est.)

Dangoteland:
(%)
in 2015
Nigeria adult literacy rate was at level of 59.6 % in 2015, up from 51.1 % in 2008.
https://knoema.com/atlas/Nigeria/topics/Education/Literacy/Adult-literacy-rate

This is all I could find out I really really doubt those low figures,knowing Somalis and having been to Garissa-maybe they mean illiterate in English and many have learned Arabic in their universal madrassas.

The number of literate people in Garissa stands at 8.2 per cent and Nairobi’s is at 96.1 per cent.

Isiolo has 15 per cent, Makueni at 22.41, Wajir at 23.8, Trans Nzoia has 27 and Mandera 25.4.

The national average is 72. 2.

It lists Kiambu and Nyeri among the counties with the highest literacy levels. Kiambu has 95.4 per cent and Nyeri 91.8.

Turkana has 46 per cent

Taita Taveta has a literacy level of 79.1 per cent and Machakos county, which has been considered the economic centre of the Eastern region, has 82.3 per cent.

The report says 83.1 per cent of the populations of Kisumu and Kakamega can read and write,

Mombasa’s literacy at 85.8.

https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2017/10/13/garissa-county-last-in-literacy-levels-at-82_c1651530
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by kikuyu1(m): 9:41am On May 23, 2018
mtis:

Very very true! I've noticed similar culture among Ugandans and Rwandese and imo it stems from their strict hierarchical setups which were all based on a ruling royal family. We in Kenya never such a concept. Dangoteland has major and minor kingdoms all over though IIRC Igbos had no ruling royalty.
http://www.kingdomsofnigeria.com/kingdoms.php

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Daejoyoung: 9:46am On May 23, 2018
kikuyu1:

You're telling on yourselves! We also have our own Somali NE counties bringing down our mean but as always we trump you in literacy.

Dangoteland:

This is all I could find out I really really doubt those low figures,knowing Somalis and having been to Garissa-maybe they mean illiterate in English and many have learned Arabic in their universal madrassas.

https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2017/10/13/garissa-county-last-in-literacy-levels-at-82_c1651530
What's the population of your Somali NE counties? What is the size? Are their elites major players in your politics too? That's the point Nowenuse is making.
You say the literacy rate is not close and you may have a point there, Nigeria should do better, but 78% literacy rate in all of Kenya is just about 35 million people while 56% in Nigeria is about the 100million mark, and again many core Northerners are also just educated in Arabic and the Qur'an and not in English.

4 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by MPSA(m): 10:01am On May 23, 2018
sufferNsmiling:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 23, 2018
Ranking of African Countries By Literacy Rate: Zimbabwe No. 1
Posted On : February 21st, 2015 | Updated On : February 21st, 2015

Below is the ranking of African countries by the literacy rate. This entry includes a definition of literacy and Census Bureau percentages for the total population, males, and females. There are no universal definitions and standards of literacy. Unless otherwise specified, all rates are based on the most common definition – the ability to read and write at a specified age (15 and above). Detailing the standards that individual countries use to assess the ability to read and write is beyond the scope of this article.
Country Literacy Rate
Zimbabwe
Equatorial Guinea
South Africa
Kenya
Namibia
Sao Tome and Principe
Lesotho
Mauritius
Congo, Republic of the
Libya
Swaziland
Botswana
Zambia
Cape Verde
Tunisia
Egypt
Rwanda
Algeria
Tanzania
Madagascar
Nigeria
Cameroon
Djibouti
Angola
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
Uganda
Gabon
Malawi
Sudan
Togo
Burundi
Eritrea
Ghana

http://www.africlandpost.com/ranking-african-countries-literacy-rate-zimbabwe-1/

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by 68816419: 1:25pm On May 23, 2018
sufferNsmiling:

Below is the ranking of African countries by the literacy rate. This entry includes a definition of literacy and Census Bureau percentages for the total population, males, and females. There are no universal definitions and standards of literacy. Unless otherwise specified, all rates are based on the most common definition – the ability to read and write at a specified age (15 and above). Detailing the standards that individual countries use to assess the ability to read and write is beyond the scope of this article.
Country Literacy Rate
Zimbabwe
Equatorial Guinea
South Africa
Kenya
Namibia
Sao Tome and Principe
Lesotho
Mauritius
Congo, Republic of the
Libya
Swaziland
Botswana
Zambia
Cape Verde
Tunisia
Egypt
Rwanda
Algeria
Tanzania
Madagascar
Nigeria
Cameroon
Djibouti
Angola
Uganda
Gabon
Malawi
Sudan
Togo
Burundi
Eritrea
Ghana

Guy this just confirmed that you aint Nigeria !
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by theenchanter: 1:48pm On May 23, 2018
nwoke37:

u should know that the core northern part of Nigeria were against western education before, even in 1999 when free primary n secondary education was mandated across d federation, the core north kicked against it, saying they'll stick to their Islamic studies, hence; their massive illiteracy.

But they're changing that mindset now, most core northern states have the highest education budget by %, They're now investing in education more than the south.

It'll just take time before they can catch up with d south. While southern states are averaging 15%-20% educational budget, the north are doing 20%-30%.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by theenchanter: 2:02pm On May 23, 2018
sufferNsmiling:

Country Literacy Rate
Zimbabwe
Equatorial Guinea
South Africa
Kenya
Namibia
Sao Tome and Principe
Lesotho
Mauritius
Congo, Republic of the
Libya
Swaziland
Botswana
Zambia
Cape Verde
Tunisia
Egypt
Rwanda
Algeria
Tanzania
Madagascar
Nigeria
Cameroon
Djibouti
Angola
Uganda
Gabon
Malawi
Sudan
Togo
Burundi
Eritrea
Ghana

http://www.africlandpost.com/ranking-african-countries-literacy-rate-zimbabwe-1/
don't know where u got ur source but Kenya is at 78% and Ghana is not as worse as that.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 2:35pm On May 23, 2018
sufferNsmiling:

Go through this PDF file by the world bank.

http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/143471467986244382/pdf/WPS7214.pdf

It is a more comprehensive and credible report on Nigeria's middle class, than your rubbish source!

Nonsense!!

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 2:44pm On May 23, 2018
nwoke37:

Please, as much as reports like this help us to have an idea about statistics in Nigeria. We have to be careful about the sources.

You can imagine this your stats claiming that Taraba has a higher literacy rate than Plateau state. This is impossible!
I am from Plateau and I know the in and out of Taraba.

Taraba cannot be more literate than Plateau. Kogi also cannot be more literate than Benue!

These states are in my geopolitical zone and I know the people of these places very well!

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 23, 2018
theenchanter:
don't know where u got ur source but Kenya is at 78% and Ghana is not as worse as that.

List of countries by literacy rate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_literacy_rate#/media/File%3AWorld_map_of_countries_by_literacy_rate.svg
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by 68816419: 3:09pm On May 23, 2018
Lagos VI
LAGOS ISLAND
LAGOS LEKKI

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 3:11pm On May 23, 2018
kikuyu1:

Dangoteland:

Sometimes one wonders if you 'little Indians' just love arguing for arguing sakes or you just have coconut heads.

How many are your Somali counties compared to our northern muslim states? There is no basis of comparison here.

If you even talk about Arabic/Koranic literacy, Nigerian muslims will be more literate than Kenyan muslims...

Our muslims for some years now always win a lot of koranic competitions in Saudi Arabia, but I see that as rubbish.

A large percentage of Northern Nigerian muslims have been literate in the Arabic script for over a hundred years before colonialism.
This is why we have Arabic writings on our naira notes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by 68816419: 3:16pm On May 23, 2018
LAGOS CONT....

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by 68816419: 3:17pm On May 23, 2018
Best place to chill!

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by 68816419: 3:22pm On May 23, 2018
come with your horses grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by 68816419: 3:23pm On May 23, 2018
Among the Best beaches in the world !

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 23, 2018
theenchanter:

I told you I am a nigeria . If I'm a nigerian or not what is your business is it you which makes who is a nigerian or not

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 4:19pm On May 23, 2018
See what other african countries are doing what we nigerians are doing wedding and parties. please read this very well

This is Africa’s most overlooked achievement, and it's changing the lives of millions.
Africa’s energy revolution, one of the biggest overlooked stories of our time, is poised to change the lives of millions of Africans.

Why has it been overlooked? Coverage of Africa has tended to focus on disasters, coups and terrorism – or on swings in the price of oil and metals. These events have happened. But they do not define Africa. What defines modern Africa is the steady, remarkable progress it has been making for the past 15 years.

Let’s celebrate that progress – and the entrepreneurial spirit that is not only applying the latest technology to African contexts, but also generating new ideas and new techniques that can benefit the world.

The best-known example is Africa’s “leapfrogging” directly to mobile phones, bypassing landline connections and using mobiles to move money, consult farm prices and much more. The number of mobile phone subscriptions per 100 people soared from 18 in 2006 to 71 in 2014.

A less well-known example is Africa’s embrace of renewable energy to leapfrog older power generation technologies, while also reducing the need to extend the national energy grid to remote villages.

From an African perspective, renewable energy technologies such as solar and wind power, have two powerful advantages: speed and decentralization. They can be rolled out much more quickly than fossil fuel-fired power plants, and they can operate both on grid and off grid.

Small-scale renewable energy is starting to deliver the social and economic advantages of electrification to rural communities, helping improve public health, enabling access to education, and opening up economic possibilities to a continent of entrepreneurs.

Renewable energy systems will soon be able to cater to the most intensive and heavy demands of industry and other productive sectors. Kenya, for example, is a leading global producer of geothermal power. Its Olkaria plant is the biggest single-turbine geothermal facility in the world. In Ethiopia, the 1,870 MW Gibe III hydroelectric project has begun generation, and the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam is expected to generate 6,000 MW at full capacity when it is completed in 2017.

The most stunning example of Africa’s embrace of renewable energy is the Ouarzazate complex in Morocco, which will be the world’s biggest solar facility and was also, in 2013, when it was constructed, one of the cheapest concentrated solar power plant to be financed.

Source: Climate Policy Initiative

Swift action on energy is vital, because Africa’s energy gap is huge, and bridging it is urgent. Two-thirds of Africans – 621 million people – live without access to electricity. Cut off from the grid, the world’s poorest people pay the world’s highest power prices. A woman in a rural village in northern Nigeria spends 60 to 80 times more per unit of energy than a resident of London or New York. This is a huge market failure.

The lack of modern energy also means that almost four in five Africans rely for cooking on wood, charcoal or other solid organic fuels. As a result, 600,000 people in the region die each year from household air pollution.

Luckily, momentum is building across the continent and the world to support African countries reach the global goal of universal access to electricity by 2030 – an effort that will require $55 billion a year.

The African Development Bank (AfDB), a major player on the continent, has made energy access one of its top priorities, and has launched an initiative called the New Deal for Energy in Africa. Many European governments, including France, Germany and the United Kingdom, are on board too.

The Paris Agreement, reached at the global climate talks last December, has added to the momentum by underscoring the need for governments around the world to address the twin challenge of decarbonizing energy systems while delivering energy for all.

Major emitting countries should put in place a credible carbon pricing and taxation system, instead of spending billions on fossil-fuel subsidies.

Across the African continent, energy entrepreneurs are vividly showing Africa’s potential to leapfrog to a low-carbon economy. An enabling environment must now be created to allow this growing pool of energy investors with innovative business models to thrive and reach new consumers.

Africa’s leaders must also rise to the challenge. They need to move more decisively to tackle vested interests and break up webs of political patronage in Africa’s energy utilities. They should also end subsidies to wasteful utilities, vehicle fuel and kerosene. These funds should be spent instead on productive energy investment, social protection and targeted electricity connectivity for the poor.

As a global community, we have the technology, finance and ingenuity to embark on a low-carbon transition that brings the benefits of modern energy to even the remotest village. There is no time to waste – let’s start now.

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Danielnino00(m): 4:50pm On May 23, 2018
theenchanter:
u should know that the core northern part of Nigeria were against western education before, even in 1999 when free primary n secondary education was mandated across d federation, the core north kicked against it, saying they'll stick to their Islamic studies, hence; their massive illiteracy.

But they're changing that mindset now, most core northern states have the highest education budget by %, They're now investing in education more than the south.

It'll just take time before they can catch up with d south. While southern states are averaging 15%-20% educational budget, the north are doing 20%-30%.

I hope you are right... The north has allowed itself to be blinded too much by religion and tribalism..

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Danielnino00(m): 5:07pm On May 23, 2018
sufferNsmiling:

Country Literacy Rate
Zimbabwe
Equatorial Guinea
South Africa
Kenya
Namibia
Sao Tome and Principe
Lesotho
Mauritius
Congo, Republic of the
Libya
Swaziland
Botswana
Zambia
Cape Verde
Tunisia
Egypt
Rwanda
Algeria
Tanzania
Madagascar
Nigeria
Cameroon
Djibouti
Angola
Uganda
Gabon
Malawi
Sudan
Togo
Burundi
Eritrea
Ghana

If having a huge literacy rate translates to human capital development, then Zimbabwe the supposedly most literate country in Africa won't have a poverty rate of 70% and an unemployment rate that's so low that about 90% of them work in the informal sector...But u know why Zimbabwe isn't always in the news for that? it's because their population is so small.. just 16 million people .not up to the population of Lagos...

(1) (2) (3) ... (1765) (1766) (1767) (1768) (1769) (1770) (1771) ... (9933)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.