Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,843 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) - Foreign Affairs (3896) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) (6210192 Views)

Am I The Only One Whos Tired Of This Kenya Is Ahead Thread / Femi Adesina: "I Don't Lie, No Matter What"; Nigerians React / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3893) (3894) (3895) (3896) (3897) (3898) (3899) ... (9933) (Go Down)

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 10:13pm On Mar 14, 2019
Jonraid:
Uhuru drives off with Macron in a locally assembled Peugeot at State House Nairobi ! grin

3.4 billion dollars worth of deals have been signed which majorly involve PPP projects that means that our treasury's monies is off the projects involved!

Macron has no idea if NTSA show up with breathalyzer they getting arrested grin
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by NairobiWalker2: 10:15pm On Mar 14, 2019
Lake Nakuru National Park

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by XhosaNostra(f): 10:17pm On Mar 14, 2019
TayserMahri:

Whaaa ?

grin grin

Haaaaaa! I'm way too much of a goof to be boring grin
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by XhosaNostra(f): 10:24pm On Mar 14, 2019
mtisTheQubit:

grin grin..some of ths guys are tough though..

Hmmmm...

An attractive quality to have for a man.

Reminds me of someone that almost jumped into my arms like a baby, all because dogs were running towards us grin I've never been more disgusted by a person than I did that day.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by forgiveness: 10:29pm On Mar 14, 2019
Kenya's public schools are not good afterall. shocked

Why poor parents in Nairobi choose private over free free primary schools.

By Stephanie Simmons ZuilkowskiFebruary 11, 2018

The numbers of low cost private schools in low and middle income countries have exploded in recent years. These schools charge fees that are affordable to the poorest segment of the population, and often target these populations specifically.

But, in many countries, these schools have been criticized for failing to meet minimum standards set by the government for facilities, infrastructure, and learning materials. There are also claims that they exacerbate inequality because they are not accessible to the poorest children and tend to be located in urban areas, and allow national governments to abandon their efforts to serve poor students.

Kenya is no exception. Evidence suggests that more than half of primary school students in Nairobi attend private schools. This is despite the fact that 15 years ago the government implemented a free primary education programme. So why do poor parents, struggling to support their families, elect to pay school fees when they could send their children to school without paying fees?

One hypothesis is that there are simply not enough public school seats to accommodate children, particularly in densely populated informal settlement areas like Kibera or Mathare.

But research conducted by myself and my colleagues supports another theory: we found that parents make great sacrifices to avoid public schools and place their children in private schools at significant financial cost. The main reason is that parents believe private schools offer better quality education than public schools. Other contributory reasons included perceptions of superiority and that younger parents were more likely to have children in the private schools than older parents.

Private perceptions
We interviewed more than 1,000 parents and head teachers at 93 public and private schools in Nairobi. We asked them about their schooling decisions and what words they would use to describe low cost private schools and public schools.

Low cost private schools were described as being high quality, with harder-working teachers who were consistently present in the classroom. Homework was assigned regularly and teachers were observed by supervisors.

Public schools were described as corrupt, with lazy teachers who were often absent. Survey participants were more likely to describe public school teachers as well-trained, however, and said that the school had many learning materials available. In interviews, some parents also discussed their concerns about social class issues – such as wanting to keep their children away from the “dirty” children in public schools.

Overall, low cost private schools were seen as the better quality choice, when they were available for parents. For eight in ten parents whose children were in them, quality was a strong motivator. For public school parents, quality was a factor for 56%, with affordability of fees and proximity being the next greatest concerns.

Financial sacrifices
On average, having one child in one low-cost private school cost 12% of the income of the household’s main earner. Given that families in the study had on average three children, this is a significant portion of household spending.

Parents in the survey said that, on average, low-cost private school were twice as expensive.

Our study found that low-cost private school were seen by most parents in Nairobi as superior to the local public schools. We also found evidence of a generational change – younger parents were more likely to have children in the private schools than older parents. This could be because younger parents are more likely to be educated themselves, and are therefore more sensitive to school quality.

Some parents indicated the “flexibility” of head teachers in the low-cost private school, since parents were sometimes allowed to pay fees over a period of time as the children continued learning.

Moving forward
Given that the number of educated parents is expected to grow it’s important for the government to engage with low cost private schools as critical components of the education system, rather than as competitors to the public system. The ministry of education has guidelines in place to govern how low cost private schools are registered, which is a welcome step. For example, to register, private schools must meet basic minimum requirements for teacher training and facilities.

Finally, parents need consistent, verifiable information on the available schools in their area including accurate pupil-teacher ratios, literacy and numeracy outcomes data, and pass rates on the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education examinations. Parents should be making decisions about school quality based on accurate learning data rather than on gut feelings and popular perceptions. When a very poor family makes the choice to pay school fees, it is not able to pay for something else, so it’s important to ensure that families making this choice are actually getting a return for their investment.

Benjamin Piper, Senior Director in Africa Education for RTI International, contributed to the writing of this article

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/africa/1204498/kenyan-parents-pick-nairobi-private-schools-over-public-education/amp/

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by gallivant: 10:35pm On Mar 14, 2019
TayserMahri:

Macron has no idea if NTSA show up with breathalyzer they getting arrested grin

Lol
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by forgiveness: 10:36pm On Mar 14, 2019
NairobiWalker2:
Kabarak High School

Private school. You can lie ooooo.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by JaceBlaze: 11:13pm On Mar 14, 2019
XhosaNostra:

LMFAO. Yeah, that's what I read this morning. All the best to them.
They deserve it,they got the whole country laughing.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by JaceBlaze: 11:38pm On Mar 14, 2019
XhosaNostra:

LMFAO. Tufiakwa!
Bros, de tin fit make pesin get nightmares ooo grin

Speaking of different nationalities. If you weren't South African, which other nationality would you choose, in Africa?
Una Pidgin vocab dey just keep expanding,abi.Wetin be "Tufiakwa" shocked

Mhmm,interesting question.I would choose Botswana for the fact that it would be easy to assimilate into their society because of their language that is also spoken in SA,and not to mention that crime is almost non existing over there.

My second option would definitely be Morocco for how highly developed the country is.

you? which would it be?

3 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by JaceBlaze: 11:43pm On Mar 14, 2019
XhosaNostra:

That's pretty. Let's gossip...shhhhh...Nigerians post pictures of hail stones & call it snow grin

Don't tell them I said that undecided
Speaking of Hail,I took this picture 1 hour after the rain had stopped.It was 2017 if my memory serves me right.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by SuperIgbo1(m): 12:06am On Mar 15, 2019
mtisTheQubit:

For me pac was the greatest of all..biggie came second...but that was good music if i may say... grin

Many Blacks here got mad love for Pac cos he was pro-black. He's the truth.

Perhaps I was blind to the facts, stabbed in the back
I couldn't trust my own homies just a bunch of dirty rats
Will I, succeed, paranoid from the weed
And hocus pocus I try to focus but I can't see
And in my mind I'm a blind man doin' time
Look to my future 'cause my past, is all behind me
Is it a crime, to fight, for what is mine?
Everybody's dyin' tell me what's the use of tryin'
I've been Trapped since birth, cautious, 'cause I'm cursed
And fantasies of my family, in a hearse
And they say it's the white man I should fear
But, it's my own kind doin' all the killin' here
I can't lie, ain't no love for the other side
Jealousy inside, make 'em wish I died
Oh my Lord, tell me what I'm livin' for
Everybody's droppin' got me knockin' on heaven's door
And all my memories, of seein' brothers bleed
And everybody grieves, but still nobody sees
Recollect your thoughts don't get caught up in the mix
'Cause the media is full of dirty tricks
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 12:09am On Mar 15, 2019
XhosaNostra:
Kai! See beaury grin

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by XhosaNostra(f): 12:10am On Mar 15, 2019
JaceBlaze:
Una Pidgin vocab dey just keep expanding,abi.Wetin be "Tufiakwa" shocked

Mhmm,interesting question.I would choose Botswana for the fact that it would be easy to assimilate into their society because of their language that is also spoken in SA,and not to mention that crime is almost non existing over there.

My second option would definitely be Morocco for how highly developed the country is.

you? which would it be?

Apparently it means "God forbid".

Very safe but sensible picks lol. I love Morocco too, btw.

I've been an avid reader most of my life, so once upon a time I read a book called Comfort Herself, it was set both in London & Ghana. I loved the book so much that I probably read it 100s of times. It told a very descriptive story of how life was like in Ghana, through the eyes of a little girl from London. Reading it was like a journey of discovery for me too since I knew nothing of the world outside of S.A at the time. So for me, It'd be Ghana. Comfort lives on tongue

3 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 12:11am On Mar 15, 2019
XhosaNostra:

Haaaaaa! I'm way too much of a goof to be boring grin

You prolly come across as eccentric amongst your hommies grin

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 12:19am On Mar 15, 2019
forgiveness:

You don't need to know. Just comment first. grin

Forgiveness and lies is like Boko & Haram grin
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by SuperIgbo1(m): 12:22am On Mar 15, 2019
MtisTHeQubit,

The greatest lyricist ever. Only Eminem and Jadakiss can come close. I can't rate Jay-Z. He samples a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufHZWt3xSZk&t=1s
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 12:22am On Mar 15, 2019
NairobiWalker2:
River Mara in Maasai Mara Game Reserve

That's Jonraid and Xhosanostra cheesy cheesy cheesy

grin grin grin

Xhosa,

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 12:24am On Mar 15, 2019
NairobiWalker2:
Mt. Kenya

Where is the general to tell us we dont have kilimanjaro.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 12:26am On Mar 15, 2019
XhosaNostra:

I've seen this on TV & it's fascinating. May visit Kenya one day to see it in person.

Better do it now coz a big beautiful wall/fence is coming up between Kenya and Tz tongue

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by XhosaNostra(f): 12:27am On Mar 15, 2019
JaceBlaze:
Speaking of Hail,I took this picture 1 hour after the rain had stopped.It was 2017 if my memory serves me right.

Kai! You didn't even build a smallanyana snowman grin
I don't like hailstorms lol. Last time one happened, last year, it ruined my day. I was pissed! Imagine I had just done my laundry & even washed a couple of blankets for good measure. Next thing, it just started raining out of nowhere. Huge balls of ice. It rained hard for about an hour. By the time it was done, everything was on the floor, covered it dirt. I won't lie, I shed a tear because I was just beside myself with anger & frustration. Had to throw away one blanket because the shit on it wouldn't come out.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by abbeg(m): 12:31am On Mar 15, 2019
AskiaHarem:

Yea it's really going down hill alright... wink
Abeg help me tell them.Common eko Atlantic and petrolDollax and Chrisagyei will all move to Nigeria as Ghana would become bankrupt! grin grin
Even with their small population Ghana is still slacking.Only Accra they have.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by XhosaNostra(f): 12:31am On Mar 15, 2019
TayserMahri:

You prolly come across as eccentric amongst your hommies grin

They think I'm mentally unstable tongue Heck, I also think I have a couple of loose screws lol.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by abbeg(m): 12:34am On Mar 15, 2019
SuperIgbo1:

Many Blacks here got mad love for Pac cos he was pro-black. He's the truth.

Perhaps I was blind to the facts, stabbed in the back
I couldn't trust my own homies just a bunch of dirty rats
Will I, succeed, paranoid from the weed
And hocus pocus I try to focus but I can't see
And in my mind I'm a blind man doin' time
Look to my future 'cause my past, is all behind me
Is it a crime, to fight, for what is mine?
Everybody's dyin' tell me what's the use of tryin'
I've been Trapped since birth, cautious, 'cause I'm cursed
And fantasies of my family, in a hearse
And they say it's the white man I should fear
But, it's my own kind doin' all the killin' here
I can't lie, ain't no love for the other side
Jealousy inside, make 'em wish I died
Oh my Lord, tell me what I'm livin' for
Everybody's droppin' got me knockin' on heaven's door
And all my memories, of seein' brothers bleed
And everybody grieves, but still nobody sees
Recollect your thoughts don't get caught up in the mix
'Cause the media is full of dirty tricks
Whats up with you guys and posting lyrics? why don't you grab some mics and become a rap duo so we can hear something ? Ahhh! angry

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by chrisagyei: 12:34am On Mar 15, 2019
XhosaNostra:

I've been an avid reader most of my life, so once upon a time I read a book called Comfort Herself, it was set both in London & Ghana. I loved the book so much that I probably read it 100s of times. It told a very descriptive story of how life was like in Ghana, through the eyes of a little girl from London. Reading it was like a journey of discovery for me too since I knew nothing of the world outside of S.A at the time. So for me, It'd be Ghana. Comfort lives on tongue
Interesting,am a casual reader and have never heard of this particular book personally.Mind sharing how the writer described life in Ghana that got you so much interested and attracted to Ghana

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 12:34am On Mar 15, 2019
XhosaNostra:

They think I'm mentally unstable tongue Heck, I also think I have a couple of loose screws lol.

grin grin

I need to shoot you right now. You funny AF!!

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by XhosaNostra(f): 12:35am On Mar 15, 2019
TayserMahri:

grin grin grin

Xhosa,

What could they be saying to each other? I wonder. Do the male & I'll do the female grin
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by XhosaNostra(f): 12:36am On Mar 15, 2019
TayserMahri:

Better do it now coz a big beautiful wall/fence is coming up between Kenya and Tz tongue

LMFAO. I'm a good friend of both countries tongue
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by abbeg(m): 12:36am On Mar 15, 2019
XhosaNostra:

Youre missing some screws.Why am I not surprised? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by JaceBlaze: 12:37am On Mar 15, 2019
XhosaNostra:

God forbid,we learn everyday.

Damn,you must really have strong imagination if you can just fall in love with a place you've never been to just by reading about it.I think I have seen pics of Accra posted here and the city looks stunning,not a bad pick.For me I just don't know if I would come back alive under those extremely hot West African temperatures.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by XhosaNostra(f): 12:39am On Mar 15, 2019
chrisagyei:
Interesting,am a casual reader and have never heard of this particular book personally.Mind sharing how the writer described life in Ghana that got you so much interested and attracted to Ghana

Lol, I was like 10 at the time I read the book so I don't remember the details now. It just described the village life. What the people were like & what they did etc.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 12:40am On Mar 15, 2019
JaceBlaze:

Jace, ever felt the pleasant smell that comes from the ground immediately it starts raining? Man that thing orgasmic! Just learnt it has a name they call it petrichor.

3 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 12:42am On Mar 15, 2019
XhosaNostra:

What could they be saying to each other? I wonder. Do the male & I'll do the female grin

Ok grin

Me: Ahh fvck Am COMING !!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (3893) (3894) (3895) (3896) (3897) (3898) (3899) ... (9933)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.