Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:55 PM

Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa (21423 Views)

Peter Obi Visits Goodluck Jonathan At His Residence In Otuoke (photos) / Peter Obi Visits Governor Okorocha In Owerri (Pictures) / Peter Obi Visits Fr. Mbaka (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by raphieMontella: 11:42am On Sep 06, 2016
amanze15:
really common, grin grin you are smarter than this
its a well planned religious org bro...
Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by donnie(m): 3:05pm On Sep 06, 2016
amanze15:

really, i don't know what you are told in church but for every book and verse in the bible has 1001 interpretations

Lie! Lie! Lie! That's what they tell you so as to allow for man-made doctrines and doctrines of devils. If we will all get rid of our assumptions and through the Holy Ghost accept the Word for what it says, we will arrive at the same place.
Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by donnie(m): 3:58pm On Sep 06, 2016
DorisK:

It won't make sense to you cos you are not a Catholic. Everything is not contained in the bible. And when the bible was recorded, there weren't any saints yet. Saints started with the apostles. You can believe it or leave it

I am more catholic than you are. "Catholic" means "Universal". Even though I am not a ROMAN catholic, i have more experience in the catholic way than you as I was born into a veeeery catholic family, had my babptism as a baby, my First Holy communion, but found Jesus before i was through with my Confirmation.

My mum ensured we were all brought up the catholic way. She said the rosary together with us her kids every evening. Her father ( my grandpa) was the man who carried the box of the first white missionary sent to my hometown. His first daughter (my aunt) is a reverend sister. His younger sis (my grand) aunt is a rev sister; in fact the oldest nun ( mother supreme) in my state. His 2 sons went so seniour seminaries but didint become priests tho. When grandpa who was a night of st molumba died, the pope John Paul 11 sent a tribute that was read at the funeral. We have pics of brandma and grandpa kissing the pope's hand. My mum was president of CWO before she traveld to the Uk over 2 decades ago.
She is so high up the catholic ranks that she serves communion alonside the priest during mass.

I took time to tell you all that so that you can understand where i am coming from and that there is nothing you will pull up that i havent heard.

I recall my mum always refering to "the church" as an authority not subject to the bible, but vise versa. Is it not a well known fact that every true catholic adhers to the teachings of "the church" and use the bible as reference only where it seems to agree with church tradition?

That is a very dangerous stance... One which is a reflection of the dark ages from where the church of Jesus Christ has come. It is important that they subdue the truth, keeping people from knowing what the word realy says so they can maintain control their own way.

The bible contains history as well as prophetic revelations of truth.

2Peter 1:21

for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by donnie(m): 4:33pm On Sep 06, 2016
cyrilamx:
that is where you are wrong...the idea of sola scriptura(sctipture alone) promoted by the first protester- Luther doesn't even has scriptural backing...and do u know that the church existed 300 years without the Bible, so where did the early Christians based their authority? And the same church you and your likes are quick to bash, convened the councils saddled with the tasks of selecting/determining from so many books in existence in the early church, which were inspired, which to be part of the books called the Bible. In canonising the Bible, dear, history so much heavily lean to the Catholic side. The councils at Hippo 393 and Carthage 397 under the chairmanship of the greatest African theologian, St. Augustine. And then after successfully piecing thses books together they needed authority to ratify it for the church use...whose authority...a Pope? Yes it was Pope Damasus 1 (Pope from 366-84), he encouraged the canonicity of Bible and approved the first ever Bible, the Latin Vulgate. Mind you the now approved Bible has no chapter nor verses well into the time of Stephen Langton; the Holy Cardinal Archbishop of Canterbury towards the later part of the 13th century. It was he who divided these 72 books into chapters. Google Stephen Langton to educate yourself more. Bear in mind that Christ never wrote anything nor asked his disciples to write anything on his behalf..the only time an apostle was instructed to write down visions, was in book of the apocalypse or Revelation. And when the books of the Bible was been collated, Revelation was set aside initially because of its doubtful authorship and so much imageries and supposed interpolations. However the Pope asked St. Jerome to include and translate Revelation from Greek into Latin. Christ only founded a church upon Peter, the rock. Matt. 16:13-20 and saddled the church to convert/teach all nations. Matt 28:18-20 . It was out of necessity the disciple or apostles decided to write about the life of Christ to address certain questions. That why the first attempt by the Apostles to address the Faith in response to believers' question produced 1 Thessalonia writing about 51 AD before any of the gospel. And in 2.Thes., St. Paul told the believers that the Faith was handed to them in two ways and must be guarded firmly: By words of mouth( Tradition) and letters( writings which later firm the new Testament) 2.Thes. 2:15; 3:6. Again the same apostle told us that the Bible isn't where authority of Christian lies rather in the church. 1.Tim3:15. He said the Church and not the Bible is the pillar and foundation of the Truth. Need I say more? That this same truth the Catholic Church wield from the time of Christ's ascension in determining the different aspects of church life? Did Christ tell us how to congregate on worship, did he say choir should be formed? Did he approve Sunday as day specifically devoted to worship? Did he approve of a Bible? If you so vocal you can't discuss anything outside the Bible, then begin to lecture me what constitute the early Christian way of life, mode of worship 300 years before the Bible was canonised...are you telling me that all the splinter groups in protestantism/pentecostalism were directed to do so from the Bible? Going against the prayer of Christ for unity in Jn. 17? And these various groups teach not only unorthodox messages but very contradictory...yet they all supposedly base their authority from the Bible. For these ptotesters/splinter group, St. John has a very strong worded message. 1.Jn. 2:18-20. Give me a break for 2 millennia tge church has taught the Faith, even in darkest period of human society the Catholic church was the shining light. Go and read the contribution of the Catholic Church to Western civilization. If the Catholic Church is not the church founded by Christ as you pentecostals are wont to argue, then where is that church today? Redeem? Mfm? Winners? CAC? Because that church must be visible and must trace it history to the Apostles and beside it must be able to teach with authority-making bold claims that only Christ her bridegroom can make. It must be able to bind and loose ( not necessary demons but doctrinal definition) and must tell by the authority of the Holy Spirit that somebody like Mother Theresa having led a heroic/saintly Christian life is in heaven and Heaven will concur. There Catholic Church is a sui generis. She has taught humanity, bled from within and without in taking the gospel to where angels dread to go for two millennia. The problem with pentecostals is they don't have a well grounded theology and authority. It is a group which anyone can wake up, read a portion of the Bible and start a congregation. Mind you hundreds of your kinds can't stand me...it is my field. I must open your eyes to the truth and how gullible you have been.
I rest my pen...waiting for your next outburst...have a blissful day! Peace and Goodness!

I know you think you have made sense. I have studied church history. What you wrote here is the catholic version.
There is so much nonsense there. Do you think i cannot also pour out textx here for you?

If you are serious. Put down the points you are making clearly, with paragraphs, or better still, number them.
I will take them one at a time. So what is point number 1. ?
Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by cyrilamx(m): 4:48pm On Sep 06, 2016
Guy before we discuss anything since you are more knowledgeable in church history. For once I don't know the church history you studied, because any church history wind up in Catholic circle. First let discuss canons of the Bible since u are the sola scriptura guy...plz educate me on what constitutes the early Christian Moral authority before the canons of the scripture were fixed. How did the name Catholic came to about? Also what was the format of early Christian worship? (perhaps like Redeem, winners or Embassy's worship of gyrating?)Secondly when was the canons of the scripture fixed? Which councils set it? Who presided over this councils and who approved the findings of this councils? Let see how objective you will be. From there we begin the apologetics.
donnie:

I know you think you have made sense. I have studied church history. What you wrote here is the catholic version.
There is so much nonsense there. Do you think i cannot also pour out textx here for you?

If you are serious. Put down the points you are making clearly, with paragraphs, or better still, number them.
I will take them one at a time. So what is point number 1. ?
Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by cyrilamx(m): 5:20pm On Sep 06, 2016
The fact you were brought up in Catholic family doesn't make u knowledgeable about the church. First plz go and read the writings of St. Ignatius of Anthioch who coined the word: 'Catholic' see the features of the he enumerated and tell me which of the church those features are visible. Secondly can u please tell me which authority the early Christians relied on before the canons of the Bible were fixed towards the end of the 4th century? Thirdly, you quoted 2 Timothy 3:16-17. Quite all right..there is a loophole here in your assertion. One the scripture only said 'profitable' and nothing like 'sufficient' or 'only'. You would have made sense if the quote has been rendered as
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is sufficient for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, but the sacred author only use 'profitable'. Without contradicting himself in earlier letter to the Thessalonians, St. Paul urged the faithful to guard jealously the Faith they received Orally( Tradition) and in writings(letters). 2.Thes. 2:15; 3:6. He further went to discredit your claim of scripture as the authority by saying the Church is the pillar and ground if the truth. Cf. 1.Tim.3:15. As if to rubbish your claim, Christ never wrote a book nor did he asked his disciples to write one..
Rather he founded a church on Peter in Matt. 16:13-18 and a teaching church for that matter. Cf. Matt. 28:19-20. If you so sure the Bible is Supreme over the church, guy can you objectively tell me what the early church was using for 3 centuries before the Bible emerged? Now how come we have so many splinter groups claiming to follow the Bible yet can't be United under a single visible authority as the early church, yet the Catholic Church with more than 1.2 Billion faithful are united under a single visible head as Christ prayed in Jn.17 gospel? Now read the story of this famous preacher. Megachurch pastor Ulf Ekman: ‘We need what the Lord has given to the Catholic Church to live fully as Christians’ – CatholicHerald.co.uk http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2014/04/24/megachurch-pastor-ulf-ekman-we-need-what-the-lord-has-given-to-the-catholic-church-to-live-fully-as-christians/
donnie:

I am more catholic than you are. "Catholic" means "Universal". Even though I am not a ROMAN catholic, i have more experience in the catholic way than you as I was born into a veeeery catholic family, had my babptism as a baby, my First Holy communion, but found Jesus before i was through with my Confirmation.

My mum ensured we were all brought up the catholic way. She said the rosary together with us her kids every evening. Her father ( my grandpa) was the man who carried the box of the first white missionary sent to my hometown. His first daughter (my aunt) is a reverend sister. His younger sis (my grand) aunt is a rev sister; in fact the oldest nun ( mother supreme) in my state. His 2 sons went so seniour seminaries but didint become priests tho. When grandpa who was a night of st molumba died, the pope John Paul 11 sent a tribute that was read at the funeral. We have pics of brandma and grandpa kissing the pope's hand. My mum was president of CWO before she traveld to the Uk over 2 decades ago.
She is so high up the catholic ranks that she serves communion alonside the priest during mass.

I took time to tell you all that so that you can understand where i am coming from and that there is nothing you will pull up that i havent heard.

I recall my mum always refering to "the church" as an authority not subject to the bible, but vise versa. Is it not a well known fact that every true catholic adhers to the teachings of "the church" and use the bible as reference only where it seems to agree with church tradition?

That is a very dangerous stance... One which is a reflection of the dark ages from where the church of Jesus Christ has come. It is important that they subdue the truth, keeping people from knowing what the word realy says so they can maintain control their own way.

[i]
for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by donnie(m): 7:03pm On Sep 08, 2016
cyrilamx:
...the idea of sola scriptura(sctipture alone) promoted by the first protester- Luther doesn't even has scriptural backing...and do u know that the church existed 300 years without the Bible, so where did the early Christians based their authority?

You lie! Or rather, you beleived a lie. The scriptures have always been sacred to God's people as they were regarded as God's Word. Early in history, God began the construction of a book which became the medium of His revelation of Himself to man. It began with the Ten commandments which were written on stone. [Deut 17:18] Moses' laws written in a book were put in the Ark [Deut 31:24-26]. As Early as the days of Samuel, the first record of Israel's history was preserved in the School of the prophets where there was both academic and religious training. [2kings 22:8; Jeremiah 36:32; Zechariag 1:12].  

However, the progression  of the Canon of the Old Testament books was gradual. The Pentateuch was recognized as canonical when Ezra read the Torah to the people publicly. [Ezra 7:6, Nehemiah 8:5]. Ezra and Nehemiah were social and religious reformers who desired clear and definite guidiance for the people and so set up the Pentateuch as the standard for faith and moral instruction.  

The Jewish tradition believes that Ezra, the renowned scribe and reformer was the first person to compile the Old testament.As these books were written beginning with Moses, they were at the time recognised as inspired by God and placed in the tabernacle or the temple along with the collection of sacred writtings. During the Babylonian captivity, they were scattered,  and many copies destroyed.  

It is believed that Ezra after returning from captivity, re-assembled these scattred copies and restored them to their original place in the temple. From the temple other copies were made for the synagogues. So Ezra the prophet led the first recognition council.  

The complete works of Josephus asserts that the Old Testament cannon was fixed during the reign of Artexerxes (the time of Ezra).  

His words...   We have but 22 books containing the history of all time, books beleived to be divine. Of these, 5 belong to Moses, containing his laws and the traditions of the origin of mankind down to the time of his death. From the death of Moses to the reign of Artaxerses the prophets who succeeded Moses wrote the history of events that occured in their own time, in 13 books. The remaining 4 books comprise hymns to God and precepts for the conduct of human life. from the days of Artaxerxes to our times every event had indeed been recorded; but these recent records have not been deemed worthy of equal credit with those which preceded them, on account of the failure of the exact succession of prophets. There is practical proof of the spirit in which we treat our scriptures; for though so great an interval of time has now passed, not a soul has ventured to add or to remove or to alter a syllable; and it is the instinct of every Jew, from the day of his birth, to consider these scriptures as the teaching of God, and to abide by them, and, if need be, cheerfully to lay down his life on their behalf."  

This testimony is held in very high regard. Josephus who was born in AD 37 in Jerusalem, was from the Hasmonean (priestly) aristocracy. He received an extensive education in Jewish and Greek cultures. He was governor of Galilee and military commander in the wars with Rome.  

These words of Josephus unquestionably concurs with:
1. The beleif of the Jewish nation of Jesus' day as to what books comprised the Hebrew scriptures.
2. The belief that the collection of books had been completed and predetermined for 400 years preceeding his time.  

PRINCIPLES GUIDING THE CHOICE OF CANONICAL BOOKS:

1. They were books that had been in existence for a considerable time and were well known.
2. They were books associated with some great names e.g. Books of Moses, Psalms of David, the Proverbs of Solomon.
3. They were books closely associated with national history or with national festivals.
4. It was believed that the voice of God was heard in all the books admitted into the canon, as He had spoken to the Patriachs, leaders and prophets of the Hebrew race.
5. They were recognized or quoted by Christ or the apostles.    

UNCANONICAL BOOKS Historically many wrote novels and fantastic stories about Jesus Christ; His life and His parents, and other Bible chracters. This became a problem for the early church to decide which books were inspired until the final settlement at the council of carthage in 397A.D. There were also a group of fable books which were rejected from the present canon of scriptures.  

REASONS FOR REJECTING UNCANONICAL BOOKS

1. They were not written by prophets and there were no prophetic elements is them.
2. The jews did not recognize them as inspired and part of scriptures.
3. They were not recognized or quoted by Christ and the Apostles.
4. Most were written during the space of the silent 400 year period between Malachai and the birth of Christ. It was so called, because of the gap in the biblical record and the silencing of the prophetic voice.
5. The authors do not claim divine authority.
6. The books contain statements at variance with bible history.
7. They are self contradictory and in some cases directly oppose the doctrines of scriptures.
8. Josephus who lived during the time of the apostles did nit recognise any of the books. He stated that the old testament in our present version was the only inspired writing.
9. The apocryphal were not a part of the ancient versions of scripture.
10. They reveal free use of the imagination which led to preposterous stories.
11. The genuineness of its apostolic origin could not be proven.    

THE APOCRYPHA Apocrypha literally means,"that which is hidden". This the name usually given to the 14 books contained in some bibles between the old and new testaments.  
They originated between the first to third centuries BC, mostly of uncertain authorship. They were added to the Greek Septuagint, which was a Greek translation of the Old Testament written in that period. They were not co-opted into the Hebrew old Testament, because they were written after Old Testament prophecies, oracles and direct revelation had ceased.  

Josephus rejected them as a whole. The jews never recognized them as part of the Hebrew scriptures. Neither did Jesus or any of the other New Testament writers ever quote from them. They were not accepted as cononical books.  

In the council of Trent in 1546 A.D. THE ROMAN CATHOLICS accepted these books and added them to their modern version of scripture known as the Douay Version. These books are: 1Esdras, 2Esdras, Tobit, Judith, Rest of Esther, Wisdom of Solomon, Ecclesiasticus, Baruch, Song of the Three Young Men, Susanna, Bel and the Dragon, Prayer of Manasses, 1Maccabees, 2Maccabees.  

These books were declared uncanonical because they possessed little or no evidence of divine inspiration and authority; neither did they have bearing with redemption by faith. Hence they are not a part of the scripture as a rule of faith for every christian.
It must be understood that the bible is not an authorised collection of books but it is a collection of authorised books.  

IN THE DAYS OF JESUS They had The Scriptures which they read from and which later became known as The Old Testament. The people commonly regarded it as having come from God and as the Word of God. Jesus recognized it thus [Luke16:29] and it was read publicly and taught regularly in the synagogues [Luke 4:21].  

THE EARLY CHURCH: As the writings of the apostles appeared, they were added to the Jewish scriptures as were held in the same sacred regard. Each church wanted not only what had been addressed to it, but copies of writtings addressed to other churches. The collections of writings of the apostles for the church began while they were still alive and were personally supervised by them. They were placed with the old testament as the Word of God.  

PAUL declared that his teachings were divinely inspired [1Cor 2:7-13; 24:37; 1Thes 2:13]. From his epistles, it was obvious that his intention was for them to be read in the churches. [Col 4:16; 1Thes 5:27].  

PETER (your pope) wanted them to have these things always in their remembrance [2Pet1:15]. PETER referred to Paul's epistles in his epistle as scripture [2Pet 3:15-16].  

Now let me come to you. I would not have taken time to give you all this information if you hadn't begun to refer to protestants as without a definite history or connection to the apostles and prophets while pretending and protraying yourself and your Roman catholic church as custodians of the scripture.  

Time will not let me delve into the many attrocious activities and the attempt by the roman catholic church to conceal the scriptures during the dark ages (a period or worldliness where corruption, greed and politics ruled the church).

The bible as we have it today came to us by the blood of many who were killed as heretics by the Roman catholic authorities because they beleived that eveyone should have apportunity to hear and read the  truth of God's Word. As long as people are uninformed and in the dark with little or no knowledge of God's word, you can tell them anything and they will beleive. They even sold indulgences to those who could afford for the "forgiveness of sins" and to reduce the days they will spend in purgatory.  

Since their failed attempt at concealing truth, and in order to continue in their corruption unchallenged, they carried out Plan B: To water down the truth such that it looses its relevance as divinely inspired and a guide for faith, society and everyday living. They would rather that the Papacy maintained its wicked control, giving dictates as the so-called vicar of Christ. They introduced uncanonical books and mixed heathen cultures and traditions with the faith handed down by the apostles of the Lord.  

You my friend unfortunately want to sell the same lies. But it will not work.
Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by DorisK(f): 5:12pm On Sep 09, 2016
donnie:

Sorry, post was too long for me to read

Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by donnie(m): 9:53pm On Sep 09, 2016
DorisK:
Sorry, post was too long for me to read

But you can sit and say 50 Hail marys, with Our Father, I beleive, hail holy queen, etc without complaining? Abgeg make I hear
Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by DorisK(f): 6:05am On Sep 10, 2016
donnie:

But you can sit and say 50 Hail marys, with Our Father, I beleive, hail holy queen, etc without complaining? Abgeg make I hear

You're comparing my prayers with your long post? hahaha. very laughable! lol
Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by cyrilamx(m): 11:19pm On Sep 10, 2016
It sad my reply too long that it couldn't be submitted. Try to c how I can post it...but if you are on Facebook give me ur add so I send you my reply
donnie:

You lie! Or rather, you beleived a lie. The scriptures have always been sacred to God's people as they were regarded as God's Word. Early in history, God began the construction of a book which became the medium of His revelation of Himself to man. It began with the Ten commandments which were written on stone. [Deut 17:18] Moses' laws written in a book were put in the Ark [Deut 31:24-26]. As Early as the days of Samuel, the first record of Israel's history was preserved in the School of the prophets where there was both academic and religious training. [2kings 22:8; Jeremiah 36:32; Zechariag 1:12].  

However, the progression  of the Canon of the Old Testament books was gradual. The Pentateuch was recognized as canonical when Ezra read the Torah to the people publicly. [Ezra 7:6, Nehemiah 8:5]. Ezra and Nehemiah were social and religious reformers who desired clear and definite guidiance for the people and so set up the Pentateuch as the standard for faith and moral instruction.  

The Jewish tradition believes that Ezra, the renowned scribe and reformer was the first person to compile the Old testament.As these books were written beginning with Moses, they were at the time recognised as inspired by God and placed in the tabernacle or the temple along with the collection of sacred writtings. During the Babylonian captivity, they were scattered,  and many copies destroyed.  

It is believed that Ezra after returning from captivity, re-assembled these scattred copies and restored them to their original place in the temple. From the temple other copies were made for the synagogues. So Ezra the prophet led the first recognition council.  

The complete works of Josephus asserts that the Old Testament cannon was fixed during the reign of Artexerxes (the time of Ezra).  

His words...   We have but 22 books containing the history of all time, books beleived to be divine. Of these, 5 belong to Moses, containing his laws and the traditions of the origin of mankind down to the time of his death. From the death of Moses to the reign of Artaxerses the prophets who succeeded Moses wrote the history of events that occured in their own time, in 13 books. The remaining 4 books comprise hymns to God and precepts for the conduct of human life. from the days of Artaxerxes to our times every event had indeed been recorded; but these recent records have not been deemed worthy of equal credit with those which preceded them, on account of the failure of the exact succession of prophets. There is practical proof of the spirit in which we treat our scriptures; for though so great an interval of time has now passed, not a soul has ventured to add or to remove or to alter a syllable; and it is the instinct of every Jew, from the day of his birth, to consider these scriptures as the teaching of God, and to abide by them, and, if need be, cheerfully to lay down his life on their behalf."  

This testimony is held in very high regard. Josephus who was born in AD 37 in Jerusalem, was from the Hasmonean (priestly) aristocracy. He received an extensive education in Jewish and Greek cultures. He was governor of Galilee and military commander in the wars with Rome.  

These words of Josephus unquestionably concurs with:
1. The beleif of the Jewish nation of Jesus' day as to what books comprised the Hebrew scriptures.
2. The belief that the collection of books had been completed and predetermined for 400 years preceeding his time.  

PRINCIPLES GUIDING THE CHOICE OF CANONICAL BOOKS:

1. They were books that had been in existence for a considerable time and were well known.
2. They were books associated with some great names e.g. Books of Moses, Psalms of David, the Proverbs of Solomon.
3. They were books closely associated with national history or with national festivals.
4. It was believed that the voice of God was heard in all the books admitted into the canon, as He had spoken to the Patriachs, leaders and prophets of the Hebrew race.
5. They were recognized or quoted by Christ or the apostles.    

UNCANONICAL BOOKS Historically many wrote novels and fantastic stories about Jesus Christ; His life and His parents, and other Bible chracters. This became a problem for the early church to decide which books were inspired until the final settlement at the council of carthage in 397A.D. There were also a group of fable books which were rejected from the present canon of scriptures.  

REASONS FOR REJECTING UNCANONICAL BOOKS

1. They were not written by prophets and there were no prophetic elements is them.
2. The jews did not recognize them as inspired and part of scriptures.
3. They were not recognized or quoted by Christ and the Apostles.
4. Most were written during the space of the silent 400 year period between Malachai and the birth of Christ. It was so called, because of the gap in the biblical record and the silencing of the prophetic voice.
5. The authors do not claim divine authority.
6. The books contain statements at variance with bible history.
7. They are self contradictory and in some cases directly oppose the doctrines of scriptures.
8. Josephus who lived during the time of the apostles did nit recognise any of the books. He stated that the old testament in our present version was the only inspired writing.
9. The apocryphal were not a part of the ancient versions of scripture.
10. They reveal free use of the imagination which led to preposterous stories.
11. The genuineness of its apostolic origin could not be proven.    

THE APOCRYPHA Apocrypha literally means,"that which is hidden". This the name usually given to the 14 books contained in some bibles between the old and new testaments.  
They originated between the first to third centuries BC, mostly of uncertain authorship. They were added to the Greek Septuagint, which was a Greek translation of the Old Testament written in that period. They were not co-opted into the Hebrew old Testament, because they were written after Old Testament prophecies, oracles and direct revelation had ceased.  

Josephus rejected them as a whole. The jews never recognized them as part of the Hebrew scriptures. Neither did Jesus or any of the other New Testament writers ever quote from them. They were not accepted as cononical books.  

In the council of Trent in 1546 A.D. THE ROMAN CATHOLICS accepted these books and added them to their modern version of scripture known as the Douay Version. These books are: 1Esdras, 2Esdras, Tobit, Judith, Rest of Esther, Wisdom of Solomon, Ecclesiasticus, Baruch, Song of the Three Young Men, Susanna, Bel and the Dragon, Prayer of Manasses, 1Maccabees, 2Maccabees.  

These books were declared uncanonical because they possessed little or no evidence of divine inspiration and authority; neither did they have bearing with redemption by faith. Hence they are not a part of the scripture as a rule of faith for every christian.
It must be understood that the bible is not an authorised collection of books but it is a collection of authorised books.  

IN THE DAYS OF JESUS They had The Scriptures which they read from and which later became known as The Old Testament. The people commonly regarded it as having come from God and as the Word of God. Jesus recognized it thus [Luke16:29] and it was read publicly and taught regularly in the synagogues [Luke 4:21].  

THE EARLY CHURCH: As the writings of the apostles appeared, they were added to the Jewish scriptures as were held in the same sacred regard. Each church wanted not only what had been addressed to it, but copies of writtings addressed to other churches. The collections of writings of the apostles for the church began while they were still alive and were personally supervised by them. They were placed with the old testament as the Word of God.  

PAUL declared that his teachings were divinely inspired [1Cor 2:7-13; 24:37; 1Thes 2:13]. From his epistles, it was obvious that his intention was for them to be read in the churches. [Col 4:16; 1Thes 5:27].  

PETER (your pope) wanted them to have these things always in their remembrance [2Pet1:15]. PETER referred to Paul's epistles in his epistle as scripture [2Pet 3:15-16].  

Now let me come to you. I would not have taken time to give you all this information if you hadn't begun to refer to protestants as without a definite history or connection to the apostles and prophets while pretending and protraying yourself and your Roman catholic church as custodians of the scripture.  

Time will not let me delve into the many attrocious activities and the attempt by the roman catholic church to conceal the scriptures during the dark ages (a period or worldliness where corruption, greed and politics ruled the church).

The bible as we have it today came to us by the blood of many who were killed as heretics by the Roman catholic authorities because they beleived that eveyone should have apportunity to hear and read the  truth of God's Word. As long as people are uninformed and in the dark with little or no knowledge of God's word, you can tell them anything and they will beleive. They even sold indulgences to those who could afford for the "forgiveness of sins" and to reduce the days they will spend in purgatory.  

Since their failed attempt at concealing truth, and in order to continue in their corruption unchallenged, they carried out Plan B: To water down the truth such that it looses its relevance as divinely inspired and a guide for faith, society and everyday living. They would rather that the Papacy maintained its wicked control, giving dictates as the so-called vicar of Christ. They introduced uncanonical books and mixed heathen cultures and traditions with the faith handed down by the apostles of the Lord.  

You my friend unfortunately want to sell the same lies. But it will not work.

Was the canon of Scripture determined before the Catholic Church councils that decided it?

Most anti-Catholic organisation claimed the Catholic Church did not decide the canon of the New Testament at the councils of Hippo (393) and Carthage (397, 419). To lend credence to their lies, they alluded to the Muratorian Fragment, saying that, since it was far older than those councils and since it contains the New Testament canon as we know it, the issue was obviously settled long before the Catholic Church made any decisions. Is it true?

These sola scriptura preachers are wrong and do pass this error to their listeners/congregation. To set the record straight, the Muratorian Fragment (so-called because it represents only a portion of the actual second-century document discovered in 1740 by Lodovico Antonio Muratori), is the oldest extant listing of New Testament-era books revered by early Christians. It was written sometime between 155 and 200. Patristic scholars believe the unknown author originally wrote the list in Greek (since the Latin is very poor), but the oldest copy available is an eighth-century Latin manuscript.

Although the Muratorian Fragment is important in studying how the early Church developed the New Testament canon, it doesn't give exactly the same list of books that was later adopted as canonical at the councils of Hippo and Carthage. The Muratorian Fragment is just that: a fragment of a larger list of books which were considered canonical or quasi-canonical during the second century.

The Fragment itself provides us with a good, though incomplete idea of this early canon. Virtually the entire New Testament canon as we know it is represented: the Gospels of Luke and John (preceded by what seems to be an allusion to the Gospel of Mark), Acts, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Romans, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Thessalonians, Philemon, Titus, 1 & 2 Timothy, Jude, two letters of John (since the fragment simply says "the two ascribed to John," we don't know which two of his three letters are meant), and Revelation.

The unknown author adds other non-canonical books to this line- up: the so-called Pauline Epistles to the Laodiceans and to the Alexandrians (about which the Fragment's author expresses his conviction that they were not authored by Paul), the Wisdom Written by the Friends of Solomon in His Honor, the Apocalypse of Peter, The Shepherd (written by Hermas). The Fragment's list is cut short abruptly with a final, enigmatic phrase which may indicate that the author had gone on to include still other non-inspired writings: "Those also who wrote the new book of psalms for Marcion, together with Basilides, the founder of the Asian Cataphrygians."

As you can see, although the Muratorian Fragment lists most of the New Testament books, it's missing a few (e.g. Matthew, James, 3 John), and it adds several works which are not inspired.

These facts demonstrate that, although the Fragment came close, it did not represent the actual canon of inspired Scripture. Further, there is no internal evidence in the document that it sought to represent any kind of official canon that was regarded by the Church as binding.

In the first four centuries of the Church many books, such as the seven letters of Ignatius, the Letter of Clement [the fourth pope] to the Corinthians, the Didache, and The Shepherd were revered by many Christians as inspired but were later shown to be non-inspired.

It was not until the Councils of Hippo and Carthage that the Catholic Church defined which books made it into the New Testament and which didn't. Probably the council fathers studied the (complete) Muratorian Fragment and other documents, including, of course, the books in question themselves, but it was not until these councils that the Church officially settled the issue.

The plain fact of the matter is that the canon of the Bible was not settled in the first years of the Church. It was settled only after repeated (and perhaps heated) discussions, and the final listing was determined by Catholic bishops in the later part of the 4th century. This is an inescapable fact, no matter how many people wish to escape from it.
To be contd....
Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by cyrilamx(m): 11:31pm On Sep 10, 2016
Reply to Donnie.

HOW THE CATHOLIC CHURCH SET THE CANONS OF THE BIBLE.

When Catholics and Protestants talk about "the Bible," the two groups actually have two different books in mind.
In the sixteenth century, the Protestant Reformers removed a large section of the Old Testament that was not compatible with their theology. They charged that these writings were not inspired Scripture and branded them with the pejorative title "Apocrypha."

Catholics refer to them as the "deuterocanonical" books (since they were disputed by a few early authors and their canonicity was established later than the rest), while the rest are known as the "protocanonical" books (since their canonicity was established first).

Following the Protestant attack on the integrity of the Bible, the Catholic Church infallibly reaffirmed the divine inspiration of the deuterocanonical books at the Council of Trent in 1546. In doing this, it reaffirmed what had been believed since the time of Christ.

Who Compiled the Old Testament?

The Church does not deny that there are ancient writings which are "apocryphal." During the early Christian era, there were scores of manuscripts which purported to be Holy Scripture but were not. Many have survived to the present day, like the Apocalypse of Peter and the Gospel of Thomas, which all Christian churches regard as spurious writings that don't belong in Scripture.

During the first century, the Jews disagreed as to what constituted the canon of Scripture. In fact, there were a large number of different canons in use, including the growing canon used by Christians. In order to combat the spreading Christian cult, rabbis met at the city of Jamnia or Javneh in A.D. 90 to determine which books were truly the Word of God. They pronounced many books, including the Gospels, to be unfit as scriptures. This canon also excluded seven books (Baruch, Sirach, 1 and 2 Maccabees, Tobit, Judith, and the Wisdom of Solomon, plus portions of Esther and Daniel) that Christians considered part of the Old Testament.

The group of Jews which met at Javneh became the dominant group for later Jewish history, and today most Jews accept the canon of Javneh. However, some Jews, such as those from Ethiopia, follow a different canon which is identical to the Catholic Old Testament and includes the seven deuterocanonical books (cf. Encyclopedia Judaica, vol. 6, p. 1147).

Needless to say, the Church disregarded the results of Javneh. First, a Jewish council after the time of Christ is not binding on the followers of Christ. Second, Javneh rejected precisely those documents which are foundational for the Christian Church—the Gospels and the other documents of the New Testament. Third, by rejecting the deuterocanonicals, Javneh rejected books which had been used by Jesus and the apostles and which were in the edition of the Bible that the apostles used in everyday life—the Septuagint.

The Apostles & the Deuteros

The Christian acceptance of the deuterocanonical books was logical because the deuterocanonicals were also included in the Septuagint, the Greek edition of the Old Testament which the apostles used to evangelize the world. Two thirds of the Old Testament quotations in the New are from the Septuagint. Yet the apostles nowhere told their converts to avoid seven books of it. Like the Jews all over the world who used the Septuagint, the early Christians accepted the books they found in it. They knew that the apostles would not mislead them and endanger their souls by putting false scriptures in their hands—especially without warning them against them.

But the apostles did not merely place the deuterocanonicals in the hands of their converts as part of the Septuagint. They regularly referred to the deuterocanonicals in their writings. For example, Hebrews 11 encourages us to emulate the heroes of the Old Testament and in the Old Testament "Women received their dead by resurrection. Some were tortured, refusing to accept release, that they might rise again to a better life" (Heb. 11:35).

There are a couple of examples of women receiving back their dead by resurrection in the Protestant Old Testament. You can find Elijah raising the son of the widow of Zarepheth in 1 Kings 17, and you can find his successor Elisha raising the son of the Shunammite woman in 2 Kings 4, but one thing you can never find—anywhere in the Protestant Old Testament, from front to back, from Genesis to Malachi—is someone being tortured and refusing to accept release for the sake of a better resurrection. If you want to find that, you have to look in the Catholic Old Testament—in the deuterocanonical books Martin Luther cut out of his Bible.

The story is found in 2 Maccabees 7, where we read that during the Maccabean persecution, "It happened also that seven brothers and their mother were arrested and were being compelled by the king, under torture with whips and cords, to partake of unlawful swine's flesh. . . . [B]ut the brothers and their mother encouraged one another to die nobly, saying, 'The Lord God is watching over us and in truth has compassion on us . . . ' After the first brother had died . . . they brought forward the second for their sport. . . . he in turn underwent tortures as the first brother had done. And when he was at his last breath, he said, 'You accursed wretch, you dismiss us from this present life, but the King of the universe will raise us up to an everlasting renewal of life'" (2 Macc. 7:1, 5-9).

One by one the sons die, proclaiming that they will be vindicated in the resurrection.

"The mother was especially admirable and worthy of honorable memory. Though she saw her seven sons perish within a single day, she bore it with good courage because of her hope in the Lord. She encouraged each of them . . . [saying], 'I do not know how you came into being in my womb. It was not I who gave you life and breath, nor I who set in order the elements within each of you. Therefore the Creator of the world, who shaped the beginning of man and devised the origin of all things, will in his mercy give life and breath back to you again, since you now forget yourselves for the sake of his laws,'" telling the last one, "Do not fear this butcher, but prove worthy of your brothers. Accept death, so that in God's mercy I may get you back again with your brothers" (2 Macc. 7:20-23, 29). This is but one example of the New Testaments' references to the deuterocanonicals.

The early Christians were thus fully justified in recognizing these books as Scripture, for the apostles not only set them in their hands as part of the Bible they used to evangelize the world, but also referred to them in the New Testament itself, citing the things they record as examples to be emulated.

The Church Fathers Speak

The early acceptance of the deuterocanonicals was carried down through Church history. The Protestant patristics scholar J. N. D. Kelly writes: "It should be observed that the Old Testament thus admitted as authoritative in the Church was somewhat bulkier and more comprehensive than the [Protestant Old Testament] . . . It always included, though with varying degrees of recognition, the so-called Apocrypha or deuterocanonical books. The reason for this is that the Old Testament which passed in the first instance into the hands of Christians was . . . the Greek translation known as the Septuagint. . . . most of the Scriptural quotations found in the New Testament are based upon it rather than the Hebrew.. . . In the first two centuries . . . the Church seems to have accept all, or most of, these additional books as inspired and to have treated them without question as Scripture.

Quotations from Wisdom, for example, occur in 1 Clement and Barnabas. . . St. Polycarp cites Tobit, and the Didache [cites] Ecclesiasticus. St. Irenaeus refers to Wisdom, the History of Susannah, Bel and the Dragon [i.e., the deuterocanonical portions of Daniel], and Baruch. The use made of the Apocrypha by Tertullian, St. Hippolytus, St. Cyprian and Clement of Alexandria is too frequent for detailed references to be necessary" (Early Christian Doctrines, 53-54).

The recognition of the deuterocanonicals as part of the Bible that was given by individual Fathers was also given by the Fathers as a whole, when they met in Church councils. The results of councils are especially useful because they do not represent the views of only one person, but what was accepted by the Church leaders of whole regions.

The canon of Scripture, Old and New Testament, was finally settled at the Council of Rome in 382, under the authority of Pope Damasus I. It was soon reaffirmed on numerous occasions. The same canon was affirmed at the Council of Hippo in 393 and at the Council of Carthage in 397. In 405 Pope Innocent I reaffirmed the canon in a letter to Bishop Exuperius of Toulouse. Another council at Carthage, this one in the year 419, reaffirmed the canon of its predecessors and asked Pope Boniface to "confirm this canon, for these are the things which we have received from our fathers to be read in church." All of these canons were identical to the modern Catholic Bible, and all of them included the deuterocanonicals.

This exact same canon was implicitly affirmed at the seventh ecumenical council, II Nicaea (787), which approved the results of the 419 Council of Carthage, and explicitly reaffirmed at the ecumenical councils of Florence (1442), Trent (1546), Vatican I (1870), and Vatican II (1965).

The Reformation Attack on the Bible

The deuterocanonicals teach Catholic doctrine, and for this reason they were taken out of the Old Testament by Martin Luther and placed in an appendix without page numbers. Luther also took out four New Testament books—Hebrews, James, Jude, and Revelation—and put them in an appendix without page numbers as well. These were later put back into the New Testament by other Protestants, but the seven books of the Old Testament were left out. Following Luther they had been left in an appendix to the Old Testament, and eventually the appendix itself was dropped (in 1827 by the British and Foreign Bible Society), which is why these books are not found at all in most contemporary Protestant Bibles, though they were appendicized in classic Protestant translations such as the King James Version.

The reason they were dropped is that they teach Catholic doctrines that the Protestant Reformers chose to reject. Earlier we cited an example where the book of Hebrews holds up to us an Old Testament example from 2 Maccabees 7, an incident not to be found anywhere in the Protestant Bible, but easily discoverable in the Catholic Bible. Why would Martin Luther cut out this book when it is so clearly held up as an example to us by the New Testament? Simple: A few chapters later it endorses the practice of praying for the dead so that they may be freed from the consequences of their sins (2 Macc. 12:41-45); in other words, the Catholic doctrine of purgatory. Since Luther chose to reject the historic Christian teaching of purgatory (which dates from before the time of Christ, as 2 Maccabees shows), he had to remove that book from the Bible and appendicize it. (Notice that he also removed Hebrews, the book which cites 2 Maccabees, to an appendix as well.)

To justify this rejection of books that had been in the Bible since before the days of the apostles (for the Septuagint was written before the apostles), the early Protestants cited as their chief reason the fact that the Jews of their day did not honor these books, going back to the council of Javneh in A.D. 90. But the Reformers were aware of only European Jews; they were unaware of African Jews, such as the Ethiopian Jews who accept the deuterocanonicals as part of their Bible. They glossed over the references to the deuterocanonicals in the New Testament, as well as its use of the Septuagint. They ignored the fact that there were multiple canons of the Jewish Scriptures circulating in first century, appealing to a post-Christian Jewish council which has no authority over Christians as evidence that "The Jews don't except these books." In short, they went to enormous lengths to rationalize their rejection of these books of the Bible.

Rewriting Church History

In later years they even began to propagate the myth that the Catholic Church "added" these seven books to the Bible at the Council of Trent! Protestants also try to distort the patristic evidence in favor of the deuterocanonicals. Some flatly state that the early Church Fathers did not accept them, while others make the more moderate claim that certain important Fathers, such as Jerome, did not accept them.

It is true that St.Jerome, and a few other isolated writers, did not accept most of the deuterocanonicals as Scripture. However, Jerome was persuaded, against his original inclination, to include the deuterocanonicals in his Vulgate edition of the Scriptures—testimony to the fact that the books were commonly accepted and were expected to be included in any edition of the Scriptures.

Furthermore, it can be documented that in his later years St. Jerome did accept certain deuterocanonical parts of the Bible. In his reply to Rufinus, he stoutly defended the deuterocanonical portions of Daniel even though the Jews of his day did not.

He wrote, "What sin have I committed if I followed the judgment of the churches? But he who brings charges against me for relating the objections that the Hebrews are wont to raise against the story of Susanna, the Son of the Three Children, and the story of Bel and the Dragon, which are not found in the Hebrew volume, proves that he is just a foolish sycophant. For I was not relating my own personal views, but rather the remarks that they [the Jews] are wont to make against us" (Against Rufinus 11:33 [A.D. 402]). Thus St. Jerome acknowledged the principle by which the canon was settled—the judgment of the Church, not of later Jews.

Other writers Protestants cite as objecting to the deuterocanonicals, such as St. Athanasius and Origin, also accepted some or all of them as canonical. For example, St. Athanasius, accepted the book of Baruch as part of his Old Testament (Festal Letter 39), and Origin accepted all of the deuterocanonicals, he simply recommended not using them in disputations with Jews.

However, despite the misgivings and hesitancies of a few individual writers such as Jerome, the Church remained firm in its historic affirmation of the deuterocanonicals as Scripture handed down from the apostles. Protestant patristics scholar J. N. D. Kelly remarks that in spite of St. Jerome's doubt, "For the great majority, however, the deutero-canonical writings ranked as Scripture in the fullest sense. St. Augustine, for example, whose influence in the West was decisive, made no distinction between them and the rest of the Old Testament . . . The same inclusive attitude to the Apocrypha was authoritatively displayed at the synods of Hippo and Carthage in 393 and 397 respectively, and also in the famous letter which Pope Innocent I dispatched to Exuperius, bishop of Toulouse, in 405" (Early Christian Doctrines, 55-56).

It is thus a complete myth that, as Protestants often charge, the Catholic Church "added" the deuterocanonicals to the Bible at the Council of Trent. These books had been in the Bible from before the time canon was initially settled in the 380s. All the Council of Trent did was reaffirm, in the face of the new Protestant attack on Scripture, what had been the historic Bible of the Church—the standard edition of which was St. Jerome's own Vulgate, including the seven deuterocanonicals!

The New Testament Deuteros

It is ironic that Protestants reject the inclusion of the deuterocanonicals at councils such as Hippo (393) and Carthage (397), because these are the very same early Church councils that Protestants appeal to for the canon of the New Testament. Prior to the councils of the late 300s, there was a wide range of disagreement over exactly what books belonged in the New Testament.

Certain books, such as the gospels, acts, and most of the epistles of Paul had long been agreed upon. However a number of the books of the New Testament, most notably Hebrews, James, 2 Peter, 2 & 3 John, and Revelation remained hotly disputed until the canon was settled. They are, in effect, "New Testament deuterocanonicals."
To be continued...
Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by cyrilamx(m): 11:38pm On Sep 10, 2016
Conclusion of reply to donnie.

While Protestants are willing to accept the testimony of Hippo and Carthage (the councils they most commonly cite, which are Catholic councils ) for the canonicity of the New Testament deuterocanonicals, they are unwilling to accept the testimony of Hippo and Carthage for the canonicity of the Old Testament deuterocanonicals. Ironic indeed!

THE CHURCH FATHERS KNOW BEST: Old Testament Canon

During the Reformation, for largely doctrinal reasons Protestants removed seven books from the Old Testament (1 and 2 Maccabees, Sirach, Wisdom, Baruch, Tobit, and Judith) and parts of two others (Daniel and Esther), even though these books had been regarded as canonical since the beginning of Church history.

As Protestant Church historian J. N. D. Kelly writes, "It should be observed that the Old Testament thus admitted as authoritative in the Church was somewhat bulkier and more comprehensive [than the Protestant Bible] . . . It always included, though with varying degrees of recognition, the so-called apocrypha or deuterocanonical books" (Early Christian Doctrines, 53).

Below we give patristic quotations from each of the deuterocanonical books. Notice how the Fathers quoted these books along with the protocanonicals.

Also included are the earliest official canon lists. For the sake of brevity these are not given in full. When the canon lists cited here are given in full, they include all the books and only the books found in the modern Catholic Bible.

(Note: Some books of the Bible have gone under more than one name. Sirach is also known as Ecclesiasticus, 1 and 2 Chronicles as 1 and 2 Paralipomenon, Ezra and Nehemiah as 1 and 2 Esdras, and 1 and 2 Samuel with 1 and 2 Kings as 1, 2, 3, and 4 Kings that is, 1 and 2 Samuel are named 1 and 2 Kings, and 1 and 2 Kings are named 3 and 4 Kings. This confusing nomenclature is explained more fully in Catholic Bible commentaries.)

The Didache

"You shall not waver with regard to your decisions [Sir. 1:28]. Do not be someone who stretches out his hands to receive but withdraws them when it comes to giving [Sir. 4:31]" (Didache 4:5 [ca. A.D. 70]).

Pseudo-Barnabas

"Since, therefore, [Christ] was about to be manifested and to suffer in the flesh, his suffering was foreshown. For the prophet speaks against evil, 'Woe to their soul, because they have counseled an evil counsel against themselves' [Isa. 3:9], saying, 'Let us bind the righteous man because he is displeasing to us' [Wis. 2:12.]" (Epistle of Barnabas 6:7 [ca. A.D. 74]).

St. Clement 1[4th Pope AD. 88-99]

"By the word of his might [God] established all things, and by his word he can overthrow them. 'Who shall say to him, "What have you done?" or who shall resist the power of his strength?' [Wis. 12:12]" (Epistle to the Corinthians 27:5 [ca. A.D. 80]).

St. Polycarp, [Bishop of smyrna & martyr, AD. 69-155], disciple of St. John the Evangelist.

"Stand fast, therefore, in these things, and follow the example of the Lord, being firm and unchangeable in the faith, loving the brotherhood [1 Pet. 2:17]. . . . When you can do good, defer it not, because 'alms delivers from death' [Tob. 4:10, 12:9]. Be all of you subject to one another [1 Pet. 5:5], having your conduct blameless among the Gentiles [1 Pet. 2:12], and the Lord may not be blasphemed through you. But woe to him by whom the name of the Lord is blasphemed [Isa 52:5]!" (Epistle to the Philadelphians 10 [ca. A.D. 135]).

St. Irenaeus

"Those . . . who are believed to be presbyters by many, but serve their own lusts and do not place the fear of God supreme in their hearts, but conduct themselves with contempt toward others and are puffed up with the pride of holding the chief seat [Matt. 23:6] and work evil deeds in secret, saying 'No man sees us,' shall be convicted by the Word, who does not judge after outward appearance, nor looks upon the countenance, but the heart; and they shall hear those words to be found in Daniel the prophet: 'O you seed of Canaan and not of Judah, beauty has deceived you and lust perverted your heart' [Dan. 13:56]. You that have grown old in wicked days, now your sins which you have committed before have come to light, for you have pronounced false judgments and have been accustomed to condemn the innocent and to let the guilty go free, although the Lord says, 'You shall not slay the innocent and the righteous' [Dan. 13:52, citing Ex. 23:7]" (Against Heresies 4:26:3 [ca. A.D. 190]; Dan. 13 is not in the Protestant Bible).

St. Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyon and martyr. [A.D. 130-202]

"Jeremiah the prophet has pointed out that as many believers as God has prepared for this purpose, to multiply those left on the earth, should both be under the rule of the saints and to minister to this [new] Jerusalem and that [his] kingdom shall be in it, saying, 'Look around Jerusalem toward the east and behold the joy which comes to you from God himself. Behold, your sons whom you have sent forth shall come: They shall come in a band from the east to the west. . . . God shall go before with you in the light of his splendor, with the mercy and righteousness which proceed from him' [Bar. 4:36- 5:9]" (ibid. 5:35:1 [ca. A.D. 190]; Baruch was often reckoned as part of Jeremiah, as it is here).

St. Hippolytus of Rome, theologian and martyr [AD. 170-235]

"What is narrated here [in the story of Susannah] happened at a later time, although it is placed at the front of the book [of Daniel], for it was a custom with the writers to narrate many things in an inverted order in their writings. . . . [W]e ought to give heed, beloved, fearing lest anyone be overtaken in any transgression and risk the loss of his soul, knowing as we do that God is the judge of all and the Word himself is the eye which nothing that is done in the world escapes. Therefore, always watchful in heart and pure in life, let us imitate Susannah" (Commentary on Daniel 6 [A.D. 204]; the story of Susannah [Dan. 13] is not in the Protestant Bible).

St. Cyprian

"So Daniel, too, when he was required to worship the idol Bel, which the people and the king then worshipped, in asserting the honor of his God, broke forth with full faith and freedom, saying, 'I worship nothing but the Lord my God, who created the heaven and the earth' [Dan. 14:5]" (Epistles 55:5 [A.D. 252]; Dan. 14 is not in the Protestant Bible).

St. Cyprian

"In Genesis [it says], 'And God tested Abraham and said to him, "Take your only son whom you love, Isaac, and go to the high land and offer him there as a burnt offering . . . "' [Gen 22:1-2] . . . Of this same thing in the Wisdom of Solomon [it says], 'Although in the sight of men they suffered torments, their hope is full of immortality . . .' [Wis. 3:4].

Of this same thing in the Maccabees [it says], 'Was not Abraham found faithful when tested, and it was reckoned to him for righteousness'" [1 Macc. 2:52; see Jas. 2:21-23] (Treatises 7:3:15 [A.D. 248]).

Council of Rome[A.D. 382]

"Now indeed we must treat of the divine Scriptures, what the universal Catholic Church accepts and what she ought to shun. The order of the Old Testament begins here: Genesis, one book; Exodus, one book; Leviticus, one book; Numbers, one book; Deuteronomy, one book; Joshua [Son of] Nave, one book; Judges, one book; Ruth, one book; Kings, four books [that is, 1 and 2 Samuel and 1 and 2 Kings]; Paralipomenon [Chronicles], two books; Psalms, one book; Solomon, three books: Proverbs, one book; Ecclesiastes, one book; Canticle of Canticles, one book; likewise Wisdom, one book; Ecclesiasticus, one book . . . . Likewise the order of the historical [books]: Job, one book; Tobit, one book; Esdras, two books [Ezra and Nehemiah]; Esther, one book; Judith, one book; Maccabees, two books" (Decree of Pope Damasus [A.D. 382]).

Council of Hippo(Ecumenical council of the Catholic Church)

"[It has been decided] that besides the canonical Scriptures nothing be read in church under the name of divine Scripture. But the canonical Scriptures are as follows: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua the Son of Nun, Judges, Ruth, the Kings, four books, the Chronicles, two books, Job, the Psalter, the five books of Solomon, the twelve books of the Prophets, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel, Ezekiel, Tobit, Judith, Esther, Ezra, two books, Maccabees, two books . . ." (canon 36 [A.D. 393]).

St. Augustine

"The whole canon of the Scriptures, however, in which we say that consideration is to be applied, is contained in these books: the five of Moses . . . and one book of Joshua [Son of] Nave, one of Judges; one little book which is called Ruth . . . then the four of Kingdoms, and the two of Paralipomenon . . . . [T]here are also others too, of a different order . . . such as Job and Tobit and Esther and Judith and the two books of Maccabees, and the two of Esdras . . . . Then there are the Prophets, in which there is one book of the Psalms of David, and three of Solomon. . . . But as to those two books, one of which is entitled Wisdom and the other of which is entitled Ecclesiasticus and which are called 'of Solomon' because of a certain similarity to his books, it is held most certainly that they were written by Jesus Sirach. They must, however, be accounted among the prophetic books, because of the authority which is deservedly accredited to them" (On Christian Instruction 2:8:13 [ca. A.D. 395]).

St. Augustine

"God converted [King Assuerus] and turned the latter's indignation into gentleness [Es. 15:11]" (On the Grace of Christ and Original Sin 1:24:25 [A.D. 418]; this passage is not in the Protestant Bible).

St. Augustine

"We read in the books of the Maccabees [2 Macc. 12:43] that sacrifice was offered for the dead. But even if it were found nowhere in the Old Testament writings, the authority of the Catholic Church which is clear on this point is of no small weight, where in the prayers of the priest poured forth to the Lord God at his altar the commendation of the dead has its place" (On the Care That Should be Taken for the Dead 1:3 [A.D. 421]).

Council of Carthage(Ecumenical council of the Catholic Church)

"[It has been decided] that nothing except the canonical Scriptures should be read in the Church under the name of the divine Scriptures. But the canonical Scriptures are: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, four books of Kings, Paralipomenon, two books, Job, the Psalter of David, five books of Solomon [Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Wisdom, Sirach], twelve books of the Prophets, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel, Ezekiel, Tobit, Judith, Esther, two books of Esdras, two books of the Maccabees . . ." (canon 47 [A.D. 397]).

Apostolic Constitutions

"Now women also prophesied. Of old, Miriam the sister of Moses and Aaron [Ex. 15:20], and after her, Deborah [Judges. 4:4], and after these Huldah [2 Kgs. 22:14] and Judith [Judith 8], the former under Josiah and the latter under Darius" (Apostolic Constitutions 8:2 [ca. A.D. 400]).

St. Jerome

"What sin have I committed if I follow the judgment of the churches? But he who brings charges against me for relating [in my preface to the book of Daniel] the objections that the Hebrews are wont to raise against the story of Susannah [Dan. 13], the Song of the Three Children [Dan. 3:24-90], and the story of Bel and the Dragon [Dan. 14], which are not found in the Hebrew volume, proves that he is just a foolish sycophant. I was not relating my own personal views, but rather the remarks that they are wont to make against us. If I did not reply to their views in my preface, in the interest of brevity, lest it seem that I was composing not a preface, but a book, I believe I added promptly the remark, for I said, 'This is not the time to discuss such matters'" (Against Rufinius 11:33 [A.D. 401]).

Pope Innocent I

"A brief addition shows what books really are received in the canon. These are the things of which you desired to be informed verbally: of Moses, five books, that is, of Genesis, of Exodus, of Leviticus, of Numbers, of Deuteronomy, and Joshua, of Judges, one book, of Kings, four books, and also Ruth, of the Prophets, sixteen books, of Solomon, five books, the Psalms. Likewise of the histories, Job, one book, of Tobit, one book, Esther, one, Judith, one, of the Maccabees, two, of Esdras, two, Paralipomenon, two books . . ." (To Exuperius 7 [A.D. 405]).

African Code

"[It has been decided] that besides the canonical Scriptures nothing be read in church under the name of divine Scripture. But the canonical Scriptures are as follows: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua the Son of Nun, Judges, Ruth, the Kings, four books, the Chronicles, two books, Job, the Psalter, the five books of Solomon, the twelve books of the Prophets, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel, Ezekiel, Tobit, Judith, Esther, Ezra, two books, Maccabees, two books . . . Let this be sent to our brother and fellow bishop, [Pope] Boniface, and to the other bishops of those parts, that they may confirm this canon, of these are the things which we have received from our fathers to be read in church" (canon 24 [A.D. 419]).If you have any integrity left, you will know that the councils of Hippo and carthage were Catholic councils. If you claim otherwise you will have to give me the name of the church that convoke those councils and principle actors. No objective study of church history deny the Catholic Church not just only set the canons, but also christen the sacred scripture, the Holy Bible and will in the later part of 13th century, divide the books of the Bible into chapters through her son, Stephen Cardinal Langton, Cardinal archbishop of Canterbury.
With regard to purported restrction of the Bible and burning heretics by the church, I will dwell on that in my next reply. To disabuse your mind as regards your prejudice about the Catholic Church, get & read the book: HOW THE CATHOLIC CHURCH BUILT WESTERN CIVILIZATION, by Prof Thomas E. Wood Jr. Have a rest filled nite.
Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by donnie(m): 7:10pm On Sep 27, 2016
@Cyrilamx

Listen my dear frined, what you fail to to realise is that God is not interested in these your denominations; rather, in every generation He seeks those who worship him according to His prescribed patern. You can never go wrong relying on The Word and the Holy Spirit. The Word (and not the pope) will judge this world at the end.

My original intention is not to get into arguments on bible history but to counter your wicked maneuvers at exalting the doctrines and traditions of men as promoted by the Roman catholic church above the True Word of God.
Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by ResourceMan(m): 8:07pm On Sep 27, 2016
brunofarad:
Shey na only oyibo people them dey make saint ni ? undecided

Canonize IWENE TANSI now

Religion and politics.........majek fashek

RELIGION AND POLITICS IS 5 and 6.

TILL TODAY THEY REFUSE TO CANONIZE FR. IWENE TANSI.
Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by donnie(m): 5:49pm On Oct 03, 2016
cyrilamx:
Conclusion of reply to donnie.

..."We read in the books of the Maccabees [2 Macc. 12:43] that sacrifice was offered for the dead. But even if it were found nowhere in the Old Testament writings, the authority of the Catholic Church which is clear on this point is of no small weight, where in the prayers of the priest poured forth to the Lord God at his altar the commendation of the dead has its place" (On the Care That Should be Taken for the Dead 1:3 [A.D. 421]).

Seriously? Even when the bible clearly states that a Word must be confirmed from the mouth of at least 2 or 3 witnesses? This is the reason for the many false doctrines in the Roman Catholic church. Thank God for the Spirit led church fathers who rejected such books as uncanonical.

Deuteronomy 17:6 6 On the evidence of two witnesses or of three witnesses the one who is to die shall be put to death; a person shall not be put to death on the evidence of one witness. 7 The hand of the witnesses shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. So you shall purge the evil from your midst.

19:15 Laws Concerning Witnesses
15 “A single witness shall not suffice against a person for any crime or for any wrong in connection with any offense that he has committed. Only on the evidence of two witnesses or of three witnesses shall a charge be established. 16 If a malicious witness arises to accuse a person of wrongdoing,
Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by cyrilamx(m): 5:59pm On Oct 03, 2016
Sorry friend, I don't know if you understood the content of the argument. You have not made any point as regards what under discussion...besides you even quoted out of context. Next before you air any opinion, try to be fully briefed on item of discussion.
donnie:

Seriously? Even when the bible clearly states that a Word must be confirmed from the mouth of at least 2 or 3 witnesses? This is the reason for the many false doctrines in the Roman Catholic church. Thank God for the Spirit led church fathers who rejected such books as uncanonical.

Deuteronomy 17:6 6 On the evidence of two witnesses or of three witnesses the one who is to die shall be put to death; a person shall not be put to death on the evidence of one witness. 7 The hand of the witnesses shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. So you shall purge the evil from your midst.

19:15 Laws Concerning Witnesses
15 “A single witness shall not suffice against a person for any crime or for any wrong in connection with any offense that he has committed. Only on the evidence of two witnesses or of three witnesses shall a charge be established. 16 If a malicious witness arises to accuse a person of wrongdoing,
Re: Peter Obi Visits Vatican For The Canonization Of Mother Teresa by cyrilamx(m): 6:09pm On Oct 03, 2016
Mr. Donnie, I am sorry u have not made any point...any church that never subsist from the apostles is man made and disobedient to the creator's order for unity. The various books of the Bible were piece together by authority of men under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The church is greater than the Bible cos it founded by christ...Christ never asked any of his disciples to write anything on his behalf. The disciples in trying to answer questions regarding the faith poised to them by converts, hence the letters which eventually were collated and deliberated upon. You all claim to adhere to the Bible, but never stop splitting into groups upon groups with conflicting and erroneous doctrines. Until you prove otherwise what the early Christians based their authority then you just beating about the bush..
The Bible came out of the church and not the other way round. Throughout the ages there have been worse hates against the church like u doing, but the church have continually outlive their sectarian group. Yes the Holy Spirit always renew the church from within and sometimes from without through persecution when the church filled with imperfect humans do stray from the evangelical path, not by settling up sects upon sects. God ain't the author of confusion.
donnie:
@Cyrilamx

Listen my dear frined, what you fail to to realise is that God is not interested in these your denominations; rather, in every generation He seeks those who worship him according to His prescribed patern. You can never go wrong relying on The Word and the Holy Spirit. The Word (and not the pope) will judge this world at the end.

My original intention is not to get into arguments on bible history but to counter your wicked maneuvers at exalting the doctrines and traditions of men as promoted by the Roman catholic church above the True Word of God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ministry Of Mines And Steel Spends N700 Million To Develop Portal / FG Condemns Mali Coup, Demands Return To Constitutional Order / Fulani Herdsmen: "Why Buhari Abandoned You" - Femi Fani-Kayode To Ortom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 257
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.