Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Reasons Why Every 2.2 Graduate Shouldn't Feel Like A Failure - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Reasons Why Every 2.2 Graduate Shouldn't Feel Like A Failure (3048 Views)

Why Half Baked Graduate Shouldn't Be An Excuse For Unemployment / Dilemma Of A 2.2 Graduate / This Is An Indian Company You Shouldn't Work For In Nigeria Because Of Racism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Every 2.2 Graduate Shouldn't Feel Like A Failure by Bae026: 4:44pm On Sep 05, 2016
Hi guys,

I recently saw a post about a lady almost running mad because she graduated with a second class, lower division.

Maybe my story can help people with grades below 2.1.

My name is Timi John(not real name), I'm Male, a graduate from one of Nigeria's best varsity.

After graduating with a second class, lower division, I was not happy at all. Even to tell my parents seem very difficult, but I finally did, and they didn't kill me.

I started the hustle quickly, after service I left my comfort zone(parents house)...straight to Lagos the land of opportunities.

I remember very well, my first earning was 10,000 Naira (funny enough, I was paid the salary like I was selling something to the man...right on the road, he just counted 10k and said this was my pay for the previous month).

I took the money with joy, even though I knew I could have earned much more while at home with my parents.

It continued like that for several months, until I got another job with a big company, but through the back doors (Note: Back door pay are very crazy, almost nothing to show for it).

This company is big, no doubt...but as a graduate, I was told I would be paid 30k for a month with probation, then after six months if I perform fine, the pay will be raised.

That was how I became very serious with work, I did the job like I was paid heavily, even used my credit to call colleagues and supervisors, etc... After the awaited six months, my pay only increased with an additional 15k....so, literally, I earned 45,000 per month.

I didn't stop there, I kept Faith, Hope and Believe alive, I bought guardian newspaper every Tuesday, applied for any kind of job I saw (after-all, it was free applying electronically).

After about 2 years and 7months, I was still earning the same salary, I wanted to leave, but when I come to nairaland, I see how people talk about just getting something to do...I decided to stay.

Then my first real breakthrough came, I applied for a job I knew I wasn't qualified to even apply for, I remember it was an advert from guardian newspaper, but someone posted it here on Nairaland.

We wrote exams, did interview. Funnily, the pay per month was 5 times my salary, but the negative thing there was the job was a short one, three months job.

I had to take the risk, because I made the calculations...the pay was equivalent to a year salary of my then present job.

I started this new job, brothers and sisters of Nairaland, do you know this job only lasted for a month? I was paid my salary, and I had to go and hide myself...because friends were already jubilating my success story.

To cut the long story short, from that first break through one month job, I got another job, this one is bigger, better and it's good.

N.B: Never under estimate your little beginning....and always have a positive mind set.

Thank you guys.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why Every 2.2 Graduate Shouldn't Feel Like A Failure by lillies: 4:49pm On Sep 05, 2016
Really
Re: Reasons Why Every 2.2 Graduate Shouldn't Feel Like A Failure by viqueta(m): 4:54pm On Sep 05, 2016
please what is 2.2 cos over here in the labor market they don't understand it. Success is never attached to grades, if you doubt me, ask BUHARI

5 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Every 2.2 Graduate Shouldn't Feel Like A Failure by cynthia123(f): 5:06pm On Sep 05, 2016
viqueta

2.2 mean a second class lower grade.
Re: Reasons Why Every 2.2 Graduate Shouldn't Feel Like A Failure by wue1: 5:50pm On Sep 05, 2016
Pls how do someone send a private message someone
Re: Reasons Why Every 2.2 Graduate Shouldn't Feel Like A Failure by ELUTEK: 6:03pm On Sep 05, 2016
Even without your advice anyone that graduate with 2.2 can't be considered as a failure. It depend on individual want or probably that lady might have been promised a good job by someone. To me 2.2 is ok if one eventually graduate with it.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Every 2.2 Graduate Shouldn't Feel Like A Failure by dada24: 7:22pm On Sep 05, 2016
Please, we should get things right here, 2:2 Is a very good result to have. It's just the situation of the country that cause debates on it. The main thing is what you can offer, but believe in yourself and pray hard.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Every 2.2 Graduate Shouldn't Feel Like A Failure by Serial: 7:30pm On Sep 05, 2016
How I Started My International MBA Degree

Gone are the days when getting an international MBA (Masters of Business Administration) degree required one to spend a lot processing a VISA, buying a ticket, securing student accommodation ,aside the actual tuition fees for the programme. Nowadays, it has become easier to not only gain an MBA degree but to also cater for the necessary expenses.

On graduating from a prestigious university in Nigeria with a degree in Economics, I knew I wasn't cut out for working as an employee, so, while I took up useful internships to gain needed experience for my business ideas, I was also brainstorming various business ideas.

I knew I needed to learn more to prepare for the business world, so, a desire to have an MBA degree sprang up as I felt that was the right post-graduate program for me. For those who don't know, an MBA differs from an M.Sc., not just by their acronyms, but by their usefulness. M.Sc. is like an academic Masters programme useful to those who desire a career in the academic world (as a Lecturer, Doctor, and/or Professor).

On the other hand, an MBA (as the name implies, Masters of Business Administration) is a professional Masters programme for those who want to venture into business or attain management roles within organisations. Little wonder it was the right fit for me.

I had learnt about online studies, hence, considering the fact that I wasn't prepared to travel outside my country as I was awaiting my NYSC (National Youth Service Corps) posting, I preferred such form of study for an MBA degree. Fortunately, I stumbled on an online advert by a top university in Cyprus, precisely one of the top three - University of Nicosia.

The school wasn't entirely new as I had once registered while still undergoing my bachelors degree at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, Nigeria. The admission representative who contacted me, then, said I should wait till I was done with school and gained a few experience before re-applying. So, I did just that two years after, and that was about a year after my final exams as an undergraduate. By this time, I had done a few interships which summed up to almost one year of work experience which is a pre-requisite for being considered for the MBA admission at University of Nicosia.

Admission Requirement

Luckily for me, the online MBA programme at Univeristy of Nicosia is backed up with a scholarship from UNICAF. UNICAF partners with UK, US and European universities to offer online quality higher education degrees to students in Africa. Current partners include the University of South Wales (UK), the Marymount California University (USA) and the University of Nicosia (Europe).

So, as soon as I registered, I got the following e-mail from one of the student advisers:

[b]Dear Daniel,

Welcome and thank you for choosing The University of Nicosia.
The Enrolment procedure is quick, easy and everything is done online.
First, login to your student panel using the credentials that you entered during the registration process and complete the online application profile. http://www.universityofnicosia-online.com/
After completing the online application profile, please upload/ scan and email the necessary documents to: xxxxxxxx.

An updated C.V.
A personal Statement (minimum 500 words). Please see attached guidelines
A copy of your certificates and transcripts
Two letters of recommendations from your Educational or Professional Background
A copy of your passport or ID
Please choose which payment plan/option is suitable for you (attached)
Please confirm which month you would like to start your Degree course

When the above are completed please proceed with the €50 application fee.
For further information about the University and Scholarship Programs please copy and paste the links below:

http://www.universityofnicosia-online.com/
http://www.universityofnicosia-online.com/programmes/

Your classes will take place in an online environment. You can log in at any time at your convenience. Once online, you will communicate with your instructors and fellow students, read assigned texts, access digital materials, post assignments and comment on other students’ assignments. While you are required to log in at least two separate days each week, you will, of course, benefit greatly from regular and more frequent attendance.
Your online course experience will take place on an advanced learning management system designed to facilitate the optimal learning experience for students. In addition to the educational platform you will utilize to communicate with faculty and fellow students, you’ll also have access to e-textbooks offering you the capability to highlight, annotate, create bookmarks, search, download and self-assess.
[/b]
I wasn't discouraged by the 50 Euros application fee with a flat rate of N250 to 1 Euros irrespective of the naira drop. If you do the calculation, you get less than thirteen thousand nairas (N13,000). So, I paid the required amount from my internship salary.

Going further, I wanted to know how the scholarship could help me. So, I found out I was required to pay a subsidized amount (due to the scholarship) every month based on the payment plan I select. The lesser amount you pay per month, the longer your program lasts. The financial requirement is something I can cope with despite my position as an intern where I work and I'm not regretting my decision.

Therefore, I recommend this online program to all my friends as it affords anyone the convenience of studying from home or office with a minimum of two lectures every week and that, online. At the end of the program, I can choose to travel to the university campus for my convocation or just stay back in Nigeria to have my certificate mailed down to me.

That's how I started my online MBA program. It's that simple! If you're interested in the program, don't just drop a comment, also, put in details such as your name, email address and phone number and I'll send it to my admission enrollment advisor who would fast track your eligibility for the UNICAF scholarship to study online at the University of Nicosia.

Kindly, share with a friend! http://cpnetng..com.ng/2016/09/how-i-started-my-international-mba.html
Re: Reasons Why Every 2.2 Graduate Shouldn't Feel Like A Failure by abtywo(m): 9:35pm On Sep 05, 2016
2.2 is never a failure... I graduated with 3.3/5 I read as if tomorrow no dey... Anybody that think is easy should go to market and get it.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Every 2.2 Graduate Shouldn't Feel Like A Failure by Opistorincos(m): 9:55pm On Sep 05, 2016
this is an encouragement to fellow students
Re: Reasons Why Every 2.2 Graduate Shouldn't Feel Like A Failure by Alhajipablo(m): 10:58pm On Sep 05, 2016
I don tire for all diz yaps on nairaland about 2:2

When has 2:2 ever been a failure?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Every 2.2 Graduate Shouldn't Feel Like A Failure by lilreese: 2:42am On Sep 06, 2016
2:2 is good bruv
Re: Reasons Why Every 2.2 Graduate Shouldn't Feel Like A Failure by idris4r83(m): 8:45am On Sep 06, 2016
When has 2.2 turned to a failure? It also depends on the school sha. In schools like UI, OAU, ABU 2.2 graduates are even proud of their result but in these new generation Universities where they dash marks to their students they see 2.2 as failure. With 2.2 you can achieve anything in life
Re: Reasons Why Every 2.2 Graduate Shouldn't Feel Like A Failure by Nasa28(m): 4:50pm On Apr 10, 2017
You're right.... It's like that every where.

Anyway, personally I graduated with a 2.1 Electrical engineering, I have done my service yet Sometimes I will apply for a job, pass the test, go for interview and after everything it will seem as if Man Know man is the only way out. I am good in power and machines.

Proficient in indoor electrical installations, and to an extent, outdoor.

But in all, I believe my own time will soon come.
To the undergraduates in the house, make sure you put in your best to graduate with at Least 2.1. There is dignity in it although that's not all that matter in the labour market.

(1) (Reply)

Npower Rivers State Let's Meet Here / Where Can Someone That Studied Microbiology Work In Abuja / Nnpc Text Through Phillips And Co On Employment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.