Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,459 members, 7,954,798 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:39 AM

Threaded To His Being - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Threaded To His Being (330 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Threaded To His Being by greentrends: 4:33am On Sep 06, 2016
Designer Sonam Dubal first took to stories. Hearing about them throughout his growing up years, he was introduced to the oral/visual form of story-telling in the form of painted scrolls, motifs and panels on folk fabrics. That made him embark on a mission to not just understand the history of our rich textile traditions but carry them forward.

A graduate from NIFT, Sonam Dubal launched his own brand Sanskar in 1999. “Sanskar celebrates the culture in styles which are contemporary and modern. It works with the foundation of preservation, combining the cultures, amalgamating interesting elements of various embroideries, textiles and prints and blending them together into interesting porphyry,” said Dubal explaining his brand.

“From the beginning I had an avid interest in colours, textiles and print per se, I sought of moved on to getting to know about the textiles which are closer to earth. So, it was more about tussar, aries, silk and khadi and slowing evolving them into prints, working with embroideries around the world. I also had a deep interest in realizing who the weaver is, to understand the craftsperson and that enabled me to have a deeper interest for textiles and crafts.”

Inspired by the oneness of the world, Sonam told us “I had always had an interest in handloom and craft, tradition and culture. I was always fascinated by simple things of life. I found out that most of the crafts have stories behind them and these are the stories that I was always interested in and little by little I started realising that there is world of stories I can get involved in. So I started exploring different textiles and different craft.”

About the Indian fashion industry, Dubal said, “Fashion in India cannot be isolated from its textiles and crafts. There is a movement towards it and I think it’s wonderful. Unlike Western fashion, Indian fashion is related to festivals, weddings and number of other elements. That is our identity.”

The partly Maharashtrian and partly Tibetan/Sikkimese designer is also a passionate reader and expressed his love for films.

Talking about handloom, he said, “Handloom textiles have a story of their own. The challenge lies in understanding that the dye can bleed or the weave can have slurbs. We have to understand that irregularities are a part of it. The beauty of textile lies in the touch and the feel. Handloom enables you to breathe, it keeps you warm in winter and cool in summers and I think this is what is unique about it. More than just designing it, people also have to buy it. We need to be a part of this socio-economic movement.”

How to ace the art of designing handloom? Well, the handloom expert, Sonam told us, “Work with traditions of craft creatively, not necessarily contemparise it. Enjoy the textile. Handloom craft has its limitations but within the limitation it also have an extraordinary appeal. Basically you have to understand the balance and to take it forward within the balance.”Read more at:http://www.marieaustralia.com/formal-dresses-adelaide | http://www.marieaustralia.com/formal-dresses-perth

(1) (Reply)

Seamstress Needed In Port Harcourt / Professional Content Writer For Fashion BLOG!! / Homie Plaque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.