Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,046 members, 7,838,644 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) (7367 Views)

Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. / Presidential Inauguration And Swearing-in Thread Live From the Eagle Square / Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Spicyboy01: 2:56am On Oct 07, 2009
for as long as we have rulers in power instead of leaders thing will never get better, those in power are just embodiment of thieves,
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Fhemmmy: 3:04am On Oct 07, 2009
hahahahahahah
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Nobody: 3:43am On Oct 07, 2009
E go better. Let's be hopeful. cheesy
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Kobojunkie: 3:54am On Oct 07, 2009
bidemi12:

it is better to critisize the bad aspects of Nigeria than compare her to other countries that are messed up.

Now that makes sense!
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Kunbee: 4:03am On Oct 07, 2009
Rili is dis big news undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by naijaway(m): 5:05am On Oct 07, 2009
We will get there (genuine member land of greatness) even faster with better education (begining with no cults), patriotic citizens with goodwills, free and fair elections including the ability to be respectful, vast technological participation and innovation (not vast importation), genuine equality, shunning of many illegal ways like beginning with cheating in school, etc.
  God will guide us through.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Megadeals: 6:42am On Oct 07, 2009
Nigeria is not going anywhere until we start killing all the thieves amongst us. Especially those in high positions. They have effectively reduced the giant of Africa to a bumbling midget.
No development, nothing, Nada, Zilch can ever happen in an environment where the quickest way to riches is through political power. This is an aberration of the highest order. But the most frightening thing indeed, is the impassiveness of the Nigerian people.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by GoldCircle: 7:09am On Oct 07, 2009
Let them say! tongue tongue Na today?? I still Love my 9JA!

Together we go make am beta!!!
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by ThinkRait: 7:09am On Oct 07, 2009
If the governmenrt of the day can implement Yar' Adua's seven point(less?) agenda, Nigeria will take a quantum leap to the top 30 of d list of developed nations before 2025. Trust me! grin wink
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by dipo2much(m): 8:45am On Oct 07, 2009
sad
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by dyabman(m): 9:03am On Oct 07, 2009
nigeria is shit, y'all know dat
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Bamsyle(m): 9:22am On Oct 07, 2009
Are the so-called leaders still breathing??

Kill 'em all . . .

@dipo2much

Nice siggy . . .  wink
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Iranoladun(f): 9:35am On Oct 07, 2009
Much as the UNDP report is an indicator for us to see how we are fearing amongst other nations, I still believe strongly that our destination is all in our hands.

No UNDP will come and develop or champion the change in our values & orientation; we've got to do it ourself!

We can choose to whine & whine on the internet or pages of newspaper or start the change in the corridor of our own little world by our actions
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 07, 2009
shocked
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by dyabman(m): 10:09am On Oct 07, 2009
So Norway is the best in the world right now, kewl,
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Akpangbon: 10:41am On Oct 07, 2009
People lost in the diaspora- people who dont vote, people who dont pay taxes, they are the ones who find it very easy to write big grammar about Nigeria, they are the ones who knows solutions to Nigeria's woes, they are the ones who knows Nigeria much more than anyone else. If you pity Nigeria that much, come home and make your own contributions- or you will be lost forever- but look, who listens to the diasporians these days anyway?

Tinubu -diasporian - looted Lagos

Ibori - Diasporian - Looted Delta

should I continue on the diasporians who after shouting on top of their voices, come home and make things worst than the way they met it?
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Ournaija: 11:05am On Oct 07, 2009
At what point we did we miss it as a nation?
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by ezeagu(m): 11:11am On Oct 07, 2009
The thing that surprises me is when people act surprised?  undecided

Ournaija:

At what point we did we miss it as a nation?

Thats the whole point, we were never one. grin
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Akpangbon: 11:17am On Oct 07, 2009
Ezeagu

You must reason as a fish. We were never one? Based on what arguments?
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by sayso: 11:19am On Oct 07, 2009
na today yash dey back?
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by madamL(f): 11:26am On Oct 07, 2009
I love Naija blindly, it's a fun place despite all the bad bad things going on. These rankings are often done by people who can't place Nigeria on a map of west africa.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by bisiaet: 11:27am On Oct 07, 2009
Very unfortunate. It is a saddened thing that we lost the track long ago but let us keep on praying for a better day to come  that is all I can say because the issues as per naija situation on all level  man can think of are very very frustrating but God is alive, I'm so sure one day will be one day.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Thomaths(m): 11:51am On Oct 07, 2009
It begings with u
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Ben13: 11:56am On Oct 07, 2009
tell them!
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by candylips(m): 12:05pm On Oct 07, 2009
you no get mouth
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by nethacker(m): 12:14pm On Oct 07, 2009
bisiaet:

Very unfortunate. It is a saddened thing that we lost the track long ago but let us keep on praying for a better day to come that is all I can say because the issues as per naija situation on all level man can think of are very very frustrating but God is alive, I'm so sure one day will be one day.
Praying grin grin grin laughs n coughs Dnt 4get dat our leaders go to church to pray too and they r grand patrons in most churches.God will also answer their prayers too grin grin . We hv been praying b4 I was born n we r still praying

Thomaths:

It begings with u
u hv spoken
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by bidemi12(m): 12:27pm On Oct 07, 2009
@Akpangbon Please do not let anger and fustration take over logic when posting. What are you talking about? Do you think Nigeria will change in our life time? My friend if you are harbouring that illussion you had better snap out of it. There are too many illeterate and fustrated people around to make real change. Change will come from our children. It is your/our job to condition them to understand what is Nigeria and how they can make a difference in the future. And madamL, yes Nigeria is a fun place. But that is not what we need now. We need an organised place where things work. It is because it is a fun place that is why guiness, nbc, and co de sell like crazy. At least, one is consoled that when the fustrated day is over one can soak in a bottle of beer.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Redman44(m): 12:37pm On Oct 07, 2009
This is a solid thread. There is no country in the world that is perfect. The good thing about countries in Europe, North America and Australia and New Zealand, is that the governements of these nations have provided basic amenities and public services for their citizens. That is what the Nigerian government has perpertually failed to do. There are poor people in the developed nations who have failed to take advantage of the opportunities their leaders have provided. It is about time Nigerians stop seeing Britain, Canada and the USA as places to go to or die trying to enter. These countries have problems of their own. The recession is taking its toll on people in the advanced world. Last week, three ATM machines were removed from the walls of a shopping mall in East London. How the criminals removed the machines without making any noise beats my imagination sad sad The machines had lots of cash in them. It goes to show the desperation people are living in here.

In Britain, you'll see a lot of people driving nice cars and living in cool houses. However, a good scrutiny will reveal that some of the cars were bought on credit and mortgages are continously being paid on the houses. The strange thing is that at the end of the day, if you fail to pay the monthly mortgage rates, the house may be taken from you and given to another person. The money you've paid in the past hardly matters. I have seen people paying around 780-980 pounds monthly as their mortgage fees monthly for a 2 bedroom house. The next time you come across a white man or woman in Nigeria, please don't think they are better than you. Some of them travelled to Africa on volunteer work on the back of government grants. The government paid for the trip and also gives them upkeep money to take care of themselves. The British Government is currently encouraging youths in the country to go on volunteer work outside the United Kingdom. This is because many of these youths are finding it difficult to find proper jobs in Britain. These British youths are not ready to take up the tough jobs that immigrants are doing. I have come across Africans who bemoan their fate in Europe, especially Britain, but are scared of coming back to Nigeria. Crime is soaring in Britain today. Homes are being broken into and cars are stolen daily. It is shocking to come on Nairaland and read the comments about the crime levels in Nigeria. The British Police is having a tough time combating crime these days. Murders are committed daily and are people go missing in Britain too. However, the good thing about Britain is the criminals are mostly apprehended and locked up.

What makes America and Europe look good is the social infrastructure and social services available. The Nigerian government owes us in this regard. We are not asking our leaders to provide us with food, jobs or homes to live in. Let them just provide the basic services-

1. Provide constant electricity: This should be their number one goal. Electricity is what drives the development of a nation. All possible ways of ensuring constant power should be exploited and exhausted.
2. Provide water: All the state water corporations should be privatized and sold off to investors. Nigerians need to start paying for water services. Foreign companies should be invited to provide water services to the masses who are willing to pay for clean water.
3. A National Health Service has to be developed and Nigerians should be made to pay a yearly contribution towards it. There will be different grades of payment for the different classes of citizens. From around 1000-10,000 Naira yearly. Once a person pays the Health Service dues, he or she will be given a ID Card and number [ secret number ] that will let him or her be treated in selected hospitals and clinics all over the nation. For this to work, the Nigerian government has to develop its information systems and have a medical database of citizens.
4. The Federal Agency reponsible for roads maintenamce should be strenghtened and well funded. The bitumen deposits in Ondo State should be put to good use. Youth Corpers who studied Engineering should be made to serve with the Road Maintenance Agencies in different states during their service year.

I could go on and on, but I guess we all know what to do concerning the development of Nigeria. All these global development ratings are mostly done by arm-chair professors and critics who did not bother to travel down to the countries they are assessing and see things for themselves. And what did I just hear on the radio now? Wheelie Bins being stolen in London grin grin grin  Who says poor people and criminals are not in London? Have a great day, mates.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by nethacker(m): 1:08pm On Oct 07, 2009
Redman44:

This is a solid thread. There is no country in the world that is perfect. The good thing about countries in Europe, North America and Australia and New Zealand, is that the governements of these nations have provided basic amenities and public services for their citizens. That is what the Nigerian government has perpertually failed to do. There are poor people in the developed nations who have failed to take advantage of the opportunities their leaders have provided. It is about time Nigerians stop seeing Britain, Canada and the USA as places to go to or die trying to enter. These countries have problems of their own. The recession is taking its toll on people in the advanced world. Last week, three ATM machines were removed from the walls of a shopping mall in East London. How the criminals removed the machines without making any noise beats my imagination sad sad The machines had lots of cash in them. It goes to show the desperation people are living in here.

In Britain, you'll see a lot of people driving nice cars and living in cool houses. However, a good scrutiny will reveal that some of the cars were bought on credit and mortgages are continously being paid on the houses. The strange thing is that at the end of the day, if you fail to pay the monthly mortgage rates, the house may be taken from you and given to another person. The money you've paid in the past hardly matters. I have seen people paying around 780-980 pounds monthly as their mortgage fees monthly for a 2 bedroom house. The next time you come across a white man or woman in Nigeria, please don't think they are better than you. Some of them travelled to Africa on volunteer work on the back of government grants. The government paid for the trip and also gives them upkeep money to take care of themselves. The British Government is currently encouraging youths in the country to go on volunteer work outside the United Kingdom. This is because many of these youths are finding it difficult to find proper jobs in Britain. These British youths are not ready to take up the tough jobs that immigrants are doing. I have come across Africans who bemoan their fate in Europe, especially Britain, but are scared of coming back to Nigeria. Crime is soaring in Britain today. Homes are being broken into and cars are stolen daily. It is shocking to come on Nairaland and read the comments about the crime levels in Nigeria. The British Police is having a tough time combating crime these days. Murders are committed daily and are people go missing in Britain too. However, the good thing about Britain is the criminals are mostly apprehended and locked up.

What makes America and Europe look good is the social infrastructure and social services available. The Nigerian government owes us in this regard. We are not asking our leaders to provide us with food, jobs or homes to live in. Let them just provide the basic services-

1. Provide constant electricity: This should be their number one goal. Electricity is what drives the development of a nation. All possible ways of ensuring constant power should be exploited and exhausted.
2. Provide water: All the state water corporations should be privatized and sold off to investors. Nigerians need to start paying for water services. Foreign companies should be invited to provide water services to the masses who are willing to pay for clean water.
3. A National Health Service has to be developed and Nigerians should be made to pay a yearly contribution towards it. There will be different grades of payment for the different classes of citizens. From around 1000-10,000 Naira yearly. Once a person pays the Health Service dues, he or she will be given a ID Card and number [ secret number ] that will let him or her be treated in selected hospitals and clinics all over the nation. For this to work, the Nigerian government has to develop its information systems and have a medical database of citizens.
4. The Federal Agency reponsible for roads maintenamce should be strenghtened and well funded. The bitumen deposits in Ondo State should be put to good use. Youth Corpers who studied Engineering should be made to serve with the Road Maintenance Agencies in different states during their service year.

I could go on and on, but I guess we all know what to do concerning the development of Nigeria. All these global development ratings are mostly done by arm-chair professors and critics who did not bother to travel down to the countries they are assessing and see things for themselves. And what did I just hear on the radio now? Wheelie Bins being stolen in London grin grin grin Who says poor people and criminals are not in London? Have a great day, mates.
RedMan Omo pupa where r u frm pls identify urself grin grin u hv really spoken.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by candylips(m): 1:11pm On Oct 07, 2009
^^ we hear thee
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by bidemi12(m): 1:23pm On Oct 07, 2009
@Nethacker&Redman It is obvious that you do not know what real problems are. Of course the western world has problems, but can you compare them to the problems we face in Nigeria? and why would someone want to travel abroad without proper papers? That is the number one reason why most Nigerians get stuck and start to commit crimes abroad because they can never get a job or go to school. Lastly why would you want to take credit to buy house and car? You no know where auction de? you no fit pay rent? You no fit plan build correct place for naija with proper savings. Ol'boy no decieve people here. If e de that bad go back!!
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Redman44(m): 1:53pm On Oct 07, 2009
@Bidemi12

Don't get it twisted. I think you should do your research properly. I'm comfortable and I'm not working for anybody. I'm not in debt or living on credit. I think you need to look at the big picture. I am not saying Nigerians should not travel abroad. Immigration has always been a constant thing. And please stop generalizing. Do you know the real reasons why Nigerian youths are rushing to Europe and America? Just because you're lucky enough to have papers does not give you the right and moral justification to badmouth others who are striving to survive in the western world. I am widely travelled and I'm not tied to a particular country. It is really disgusting to come on Nairaland and see Nigerians who have managed to get their papers abroad criticize and chastise those who are struggling to become legal. I'm not illegal, mind you cool cool 80% of criminals in Europe are not Nigerians. Do you know the horrible crimes Turkish people and East Europeans are commiting in Europe? Turkish gangs are currently engaged in a war in London, shooting each other dead. Read British Newspapers online, mate. Don't get too cosy with Britain, Bidemi. Nigeria is stagnated because of people like you who think nothing can be done to save our country angry angry And what problems are we facing in Nigeria that can not be surmounted? You need to read through my earlier post again to understand my flow. It seems you don't have good reading skills. People have their own problems concerning '' papers '' in Europe, and I pray they sort themselves out in the near future.

@Nethacker

I am Redman, a proud Nigerian who's lucky enough to be blessed with a fertile mind, intelligence and deep research skills. Like God said to Moses. '' I am that I am''.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness / Patience To Return Before September Ending / Court Throws-Out Petition Against Oshiomole's Qualification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.