Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,224 members, 7,815,279 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition (16746 Views)

Ahmed Musa Reacts After His Goal Was Ranked 8th Best At World Cup / Male Fan Kneels Down For Oshoala After They Defeated Cameroon (Photo) / Wellington Jighere, The Nigerian World Scrabble Champion (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by dainformant(m): 10:27am On Sep 06, 2016
Nigeria Loses Its Place As The Number One Scrabble Nation In The World

Nigeria has lost its place as the Number one scrabble nation in the world after a defeat at the just concluded MSI (Mind Sports International) World Championship 2016 in Lille, France. World champion Wellington Jighere, lost his title to Brett Smitheram of the UK and managed a 23rd place finish..

Wellington blamed the loss on external factors and inadequate preparations following hassles he and his team encountered before their trip (as they were initially denied visas by the French embassy). He said;

For those who still have questions, I hope this statement clears the air:

The MSI (Mind Sports International) World Championship 2016 has come to an end. A winner (Brett Smitheram of the UK) has emerged and Yours Truly could only manage a dismal 23rd place finish.

While it would be convenient to blame external factors for my failure to perform, I'd like to categorically state that my failure was due mainly to inadequate preparations. Our performance may have been affected by the numerous hassles that culminated in us arriving Lille just a few minutes before the commencement of the games but I believe that being a World Champion should come with the ability to surmount such obstacles. Moreover, the conditions preceding/surrounding my ascent to the crown in the first place were no better than these.

For those who would still choose to call me World Champ, you might be right because technically, my title defense, WESPAC (World English-speaking Scrabble Players Championship) isn't until November 2017 but I'd like to think that Brett Smitheram is the reigning World Scrabble Champion and I'd attempt to do better next time.

I'll be spending a few extra days to cool off in Europe after which I would return to my beloved fatherland to continue doing my best to become a better player and organizer as I now have to split my time between preparing for the next World Championship and running the activities of my Foundation (the Wellington Foundation for Scrabble and Mind Development in Africa.)

Thanks all for the support and I look forward to doing you proud when next I'm presented with the opportunity.

Source; http://www.nationalhelm.net/2016/09/nigeria-loses-its-place-as-number-one.html

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by PrettyCrystal: 10:27am On Sep 06, 2016
u tried... not ur fault

7 Likes

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by ChangeIsCostant: 10:29am On Sep 06, 2016
well done

3 Likes

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by ki02020(m): 10:45am On Sep 06, 2016
Delay in Visa...western conspiracy

13 Likes

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by CassieV(f): 10:48am On Sep 06, 2016
Mind Sports International?? Which other sports do they have in this organization?

First time I'm hearing of it..

3 Likes

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by hemartins(m): 11:09am On Sep 06, 2016
[size=15pt]only smart people play scrabble[/size]

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by okosodo: 11:12am On Sep 06, 2016
Hausa conspiracy
Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by herzern(m): 1:37pm On Sep 06, 2016
I know they won't do LUDO!....

chai!.....nobody fit defeat me for ludo......6/6 back to back grin

30 Likes

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by ItsawrapOutfit: 1:37pm On Sep 06, 2016
At least, we were once Number 1 unlike Kenya and Ghana grin

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by BIGTinfotech: 1:37pm On Sep 06, 2016
Lol...when he wasn't given his visa at the appropriate time.

3 Likes

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by mistakebad: 1:37pm On Sep 06, 2016
angry angry angry angry
Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by Nobody: 1:37pm On Sep 06, 2016
Wich kind badluck govt. be dis na...

Btw,listen to my songs at http://my.notjustok.com/p/oracle/

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by VhatAmazingDude: 1:38pm On Sep 06, 2016
Misinterpretation.

The World Championship which he won and has the title, is yet to hold as he said, so he is still the World Champion in that aspect. I think the Moderators should play their part in avoiding misinformation.
Identify the fact
... my title defense, WESPAC (World English-speaking Scrabble Players Championship) isn't until November 2017...

from his personal opinion

...but I'd like to think that Brett Smitheram is the reigning World Scrabble Champion...

before presenting a concise information.

I love Wellington's use of vocabulary cool

11 Likes

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by Lincoln275(m): 1:38pm On Sep 06, 2016
and I I can play dz game like kilode oooo

2 Likes

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by korel9: 1:38pm On Sep 06, 2016
Buhari why

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by exclusive7(m): 1:39pm On Sep 06, 2016
Nigeria b just missing everything they hold worth in this Buhari era....Nawa oh
Just watching Oshiomole make " 'CHANGE' promises" again

7 Likes

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by Saintbonnie(m): 1:39pm On Sep 06, 2016
I'll like to be in the contest next year

1 Like

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by idris4r83(m): 1:40pm On Sep 06, 2016
Our guy still try na
Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by emmabest2000(m): 1:40pm On Sep 06, 2016
APC Badluck

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by Nobody: 1:41pm On Sep 06, 2016
I have nothn to say
Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by HMZi: 1:41pm On Sep 06, 2016
Nigeria losing back to back these days...Buhari how far? . . . AM A WINNER IN JESUS NAME

3 Likes

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by Bazinga(m): 1:42pm On Sep 06, 2016
Thunder fire buhari... Badluck and bad news since he came in

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by Basildvalour(m): 1:42pm On Sep 06, 2016
Buhari and Bad news

I wouldn't say more

4 Likes

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by HOLYDICK(m): 1:42pm On Sep 06, 2016
9ja.......always in the spotlight of bad news..chai amadioha must hear dis
Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by exminister(m): 1:42pm On Sep 06, 2016
9ice one u tried is just DAT everything is not working in the country, # we know the cause.

3 Likes

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by Polyglot7pointO: 1:42pm On Sep 06, 2016
the badluck was already knocking after the visa denial and late hour arrival..pari pa say..take heart even the con3 has lost more and is still free falling..
dainformant:
Nigeria Loses Its Place As The Number One Scrabble Nation In The World

Nigeria has lost its place as the Number one scrabble nation in the world after a defeat at the just concluded MSI (Mind Sports International) World Championship 2016 in Lille, France. World champion Wellington Jighere, lost his title to Brett Smitheram of the UK and managed a 23rd place finish..

Wellington blamed the loss on external factors and inadequate preparations following hassles he and his team encountered before their trip (as they were initially denied visas by the French embassy). He said;

For those who still have questions, I hope this statement clears the air:

The MSI (Mind Sports International) World Championship 2016 has come to an end. A winner (Brett Smitheram of the UK) has emerged and Yours Truly could only manage a dismal 23rd place finish.

While it would be convenient to blame external factors for my failure to perform, I'd like to categorically state that my failure was due mainly to inadequate preparations. Our performance may have been affected by the numerous hassles that culminated in us arriving Lille just a few minutes before the commencement of the games but I believe that being a World Champion should come with the ability to surmount such obstacles. Moreover, the conditions preceding/surrounding my ascent to the crown in the first place were no better than these.

For those who would still choose to call me World Champ, you might be right because technically, my title defense, WESPAC (World English-speaking Scrabble Players Championship) isn't until November 2017 but I'd like to think that Brett Smitheram is the reigning World Scrabble Champion and I'd attempt to do better next time.

I'll be spending a few extra days to cool off in Europe after which I would return to my beloved fatherland to continue doing my best to become a better player and organizer as I now have to split my time between preparing for the next World Championship and running the activities of my Foundation (the Wellington Foundation for Scrabble and Mind Development in Africa.)

Thanks all for the support and I look forward to doing you proud when next I'm presented with the opportunity.

Source; http://www.nationalhelm.net/2016/09/nigeria-loses-its-place-as-number-one.html
Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by repogirl(f): 1:44pm On Sep 06, 2016
How can I join the foundation? I play some kick ass scrabble too o! cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by HMZi: 1:44pm On Sep 06, 2016
hemartins:
[size=15pt]only smart people play scrabble[/size]
Especially when u hit premiums... the game na smart game..

1 Like

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by casttlebarbz(m): 1:44pm On Sep 06, 2016
Sk
Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 06, 2016
23rd place finish, and you're giving excuses for your failure.

1 Like

Re: Wellington Jighere Defeated By Brett Smitheram At World Scrabble Competition by Mopolchi: 1:45pm On Sep 06, 2016
After he made noise finish, he lost concentration.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FIFA Club World Cup CWC: Ighalo’s Al Hilal Battle Chelsea For Final Spot / 2018 FIFA World Cup Preliminary Draw Today At 4pm / Onitsha City Marathon Starts Today (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.