Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,134 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks (1209 Views)

Handshake Across The Niger Communique: South-East, South-West Decision In Enugu / ‘Nigerian Army Is Crossing The Red Line’ – Turkish Diplomat, Abdulkadir Erkahram / "Chibokgirls Are Well Secured & Protected To Stop The Army From Rescuing Them" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by LordCzar202: 11:00am On Sep 06, 2016
I just got an insight into the war of attrition between the NA and the ND militant groups. Its a clear case of who controls the lucrative security apparatus of oil installations in the SS. As its said when two elephants fight, the grass suffers. The grass in this context is the economy, and It would be shallow not to think that the ND militants and their likes are of the status to arm wrestle the mighty NA. The fact is that this army arrangement of the military guarding oil installations existed ab initio, their ways are well known and have been over used. It is not the duty of the army to guard installations against domestic threats, and the sustained presence of the army in the ND is to grease their pockets. For a long time in Nigeria's military era, we have witnessed a sustained militarisation of the ND oil rich areas, while the people of these region got poorer. The table was turned under the present democracy, and the youth of these areas became more aware and since then have put a fight for their rights. It is the land of their fore fathers, and its security is better off in their hands... but the Nigerian government has always had a security complex, and its military a bloated ego due to an inflow of petrodollars. This has made a northern bloc of leaders to do all it can to maintain the presence of the military in the ND, and the military has become used to the status quo. In this typical fashion, the army is not willing to let go of this prized portfolio and retire into the barracks... At least not without a fight.

The last regime in its wisdom and due to the close relationship with the youths and people of the SS region deemed it fit to hand out security contracts to ex militants. This was laudable, as sometimes the best way to secure an item is to put it under the watch of the one who is eyeing it, using the right incentives to keep their morals. In the case of the militants, with adequate training and exposure they would have been more professional than the army. After all it is their home front, and their effectiveness would breed the right temperaments for their next generation. This is against having that old strategy of unknown soldiers who are often heavy handed in approach with their opportunistic tendency of taking advantage scenarios and abusing human rights. However, the old soldier at the helm, our very own General Casandra deemed it fit to go back to the old ways and we are in a hysterical position today; operation crocodile smile vs operation crocodile tears. This is coming at a time when the global usefulness of oil is on the downward slide. When will the people of the ND whose livelihood have been so damaged by irresponsible over-exploitation by the governments and oil cartels benefit from its resources? The military feeding bottle must be destroyed because monies that should have gone into security apparatus made of locals of the ND are being funnelled into the NA accounts. The act of the NA in the ND is no different to what the Americans did in Iraq, and Afghanistan and in the long run, at this present antecedent would only bring anarchy.

I am of the belief that the integrity of the Nigerian military should be reserved and protected. Our old tradition of using military to guard installations, although beneficial to them, is an abuse to their usefulness. It makes them to often fall into the temptations of crime, exploitation of civilians and leads to a decline of their morals and morale. It also dwindles the respect they get from society when fear is not used and the love they get for their efforts. That is why there are regimented into barracks, and in civilised climes rarely venture out, unless on special assignments or authorised consent and in full military regalia. Nothing commands respect more. It is also reasonable to see the usefulness of private security manned by these ex-militant in guarding these installations. Let us explore this option and wave good bye to a restive Niger Delta. At the same time the government needs to improve welfare of the military combatant, especially as to life within the barracks. You can't imagine how dilapidated their living quarters are, hence the reason they always itching to run out. The NA are best suited in their barracks where they undergo training and exercises that makes them more effective, not in the creeks were they drink their lives to stupor and embarrassment. Outside a barracks the only thing sure for a combatant in a non-war situation is stagnation. If they want to guard oil installations, its my prayer that the resistance that they face only increase and become brazen. Otherwise, we see things different and apply a different method and let peace rain.

If the conflict in ND is properly managed, only then can this country heal. As far as i know, all agitation, militancy and terrorism that has been employed in this present republic of Nigeria stems from the issue of Niger Delta. The fact we still have the military guarding oil installations in the region also shows how much the system has failed to progress. This cat and mouse chase won't end until we are bold enough to address the root cause and damn the consequences. There won't be an end to the debacle until the right strategies are methodically applied there, and it does not concern/involve the army, but the people, a restructured Nigeria, and an upgraded constitution.

1 Like

Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by GMBuhari: 11:12am On Sep 06, 2016
The summary of your jargons is whn they bomb pipes , we should reward them with security contracts

that buuuullllsssshhhyytttt

because when they are broke , they'll do it again

but if we kill them miscreants off , before their children grow , Nigeria would have healed

2 Likes

Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by gigabyte13: 11:28am On Sep 06, 2016
Hmmmmmmmm, you have a point though, so assuming your parents are militant, securing oil pipelines, so you want to take over from them after their demise right??

Na life be that? So living the oil security with thieves is the best way to develop Niger Delta right?

Well whenever, you applaud the militant for any pipe blown know that ;

* phcn will not ask for your tribe or region before giving you a bill to pay
*petrol filling station will not do the same
*T. Fare from PH to kano or Lagos, will remain the same for everybody no matter where you come from.

Biko, let the bombing continue, make we see who go tire.

1 Like

Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by Nobody: 12:26pm On Sep 06, 2016
very uninformed write up angry angry angry, the sea pirates who torment us while traveling on our water ways or vandals who sabotage our collective wealth thereby causing environmental challenges should be left alone ba undecided undecided undecided undecided criminality has to end .

2 Likes

Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by Nobody: 12:27pm On Sep 06, 2016
very uninformed write up angry angry angry, the sea pirates who torment us while traveling on our water ways or vandals who sabotage our collective wealth thereby causing environmental challenges should be left alone ba undecided undecided undecided undecided criminality has to end ...

1 Like

Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by LoveDecay(m): 12:58pm On Sep 06, 2016
Clap for urself, criminal

1 Like

Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by CHYMZZY(m): 1:02pm On Sep 06, 2016
GMBuhari:
The summary of your jargons is whn they bomb pipes , we should reward them with security contracts

but if we kill them miscreants off , before their children grow , Nigeria would have healed

hmmm..
Why can't you people survive without the ND oil.??
As if una life depends on it..
Sometimes when some people makes some useless comment it makes me to wonder wether they are born without brains..
Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by LordCzar202: 5:45pm On Sep 06, 2016
You can call it jargons, but your moniker says a lot about your reasoning. But to be factual, our politics is a politics of aggression, not reasoning nor is it of civility. What brought about militarisation of the ND was a "security complex" from the past northern military heads of state, that felt it was the only way to protect the interest of the north... It was not in the interest of Nigeria. The militarisation of the Niger Delta coupled with a government induced poverty gave birth to militancy, its as simple as that. Now we are experiencing a war of attrition that would reveal a lot and bring anarchy if not properly managed. The way forward is regionalism, and that would make the militants solely responsible for securing oil installations, because it is their homeland.
GMBuhari:

Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by LordCzar202: 5:53pm On Sep 06, 2016
Your comprehension is poor. I said it would bring about the right temperament in their children because of the peace that will prevail. If you call them thieves you will never see through the illusions that have been created through your ignorance. I am pretty sure you have never been to the ND. The people of the ND are the victims whose homeland have been taken up as an estate of the governments and oil cartels. Worse of all they have been marginalised and oppressed by greedy politicians and an abused military. Not to talk about the pollution and heart hazards brought by oil exploration. These people already have nothing to lose, but it would cost the government a lot of money and the tax-payers blood sweat and tears. Its a war of attrition.

gigabyte13:
Hmmmmmmmm, you have a point though, so assuming your parents are militant, securing oil pipelines, so you want to take over from them after their demise right??

Na life be that? So living the oil security with thieves is the best way to develop Niger Delta right?

Well whenever, you applaud the militant for any pipe blown know that ;

* phcn will not ask for your tribe or region before giving you a bill to pay
*petrol filling station will not do the same
*T. Fare from PH to kano or Lagos, will remain the same for everybody no matter where you come from.

Biko, let the bombing continue, make we see who go tire.
Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by LordCzar202: 6:00pm On Sep 06, 2016
You are so ignorant. The common denominator is the poverty in the region that was sustained by past military governments. Poverty breeds violence. That is why we have the sea pirates and militants in the first place. It os also the reason we have boko haram. Once a people are left impoverished violence its the only tool at their disposal. This is what you cannot know because you have been soaked in ignorance. The only reason for the sabotage is because they know more and demand justice through their own might because the Nigerian government sold them out a long time ago. The real criminals are the politicians who are beasts of no nation.
Nigerdeltaboi:
very uninformed write up angry angry angry, the sea pirates who torment us while traveling on our water ways or vandals who sabotage our collective wealth thereby causing environmental challenges should be left alone ba undecided undecided undecided undecided criminality has to end .

1 Like

Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by LordCzar202: 6:04pm On Sep 06, 2016
Gladly would oblige you. But unlike you I am better off. When I look out my window I see peace and serenity. What do you see when you look out of your window.... Let me guess... Chaos. Enjoy your suffering with a smile loser.

smiley
LoveDecay:
Clap for urself, criminal
Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by Vero2sleek(f): 6:24pm On Sep 06, 2016
You are just react like a sentimental oaf who just sees what is physical. Poverty is the worst kind of violence in Nigeria and this violence will soon make a lot of oeople more mad.
Nigerdeltaboi:
very uninformed write up angry angry angry, the sea pirates who torment us while traveling on our water ways or vandals who sabotage our collective wealth thereby causing environmental challenges should be left alone ba undecided undecided undecided undecided criminality has to end ...
Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by Adminisher: 6:26pm On Sep 06, 2016
I don't know who is writhing this rubbish thread but it is completely annoying.
Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by LordCzar202: 6:30pm On Sep 06, 2016
Open your mind brother... Last time I checked Fela was completely annoying to a lot of people. but what he spoke still resonates today. mine is not far from his narrative.

Adminisher:
I don't know who is writhing this rubbish thread but it is completely annoying.

1 Like

Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by Vero2sleek(f): 7:19pm On Sep 06, 2016
LordCzar202:
Open your mind brother... Last time I checked Fela was completely annoying to a lot of people. but what he spoke still resonates today. mine is not far from his narrative.

What I think is rubbish is trying to solve a problem with the same idea that created the problem in the first place.
Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 07, 2016
LordCzar202:
You are so ignorant. The common denominator is the poverty in the region that was sustained by past military governments. Poverty breeds violence. That is why we have the sea pirates and militants in the first place. It os also the reason we have boko haram. Once a people are left impoverished violence its the only tool at their disposal. This is what you cannot know because you have been soaked in ignorance. The only reason for the sabotage is because they know more and demand justice through their own might because the Nigerian government sold them out a long time ago. The real criminals are the politicians who are beasts of no nation.
ignorance ! i am in the system and knows what entails ,better informed than you my friend ,most of you need to remove the speck of politics off your eyes first. The military will always play a vital role in our region.
Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 07, 2016
Vero2sleek:
You are just react like a sentimental oaf who just sees what is physical. Poverty is the worst kind of violence in Nigeria and this violence will soon make a lot of oeople more mad.
young lady you are incoherent , does your sentimental outburst lie in turn to the title of the op post or mine .I am not against Agitation,you cant even be a better agitator than me madame .what i am against is criminality . abeg for your nairaland life never you call me names or else i go treat your Bleep up BIGTIME angry
Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by LordCzar202: 2:21pm On Sep 07, 2016
I still maintain that you are soaked in ignorance. As you were not observant enough to notice, i specifically mentioned the army. Of course, the naval forces have major roles in the region but not the army. There are a lot of things wrong with the Nigerian political landscape and the involvement of military in it is one pressing issue. It is now obvious that our democracy has not shaken of the grip the military has on our politics, otherwise the army has no business guarding oil installations. I still maintain the army presence in the ND is the sole reason we have militancy. This is because their presence encourages proliferation of heavy ammunitions, some of the combatants and superiors in the ranks would always want to benefit from the chaos. Apart from that, their heavy handedness would also always sow discord with the locals and bring about agitation with the locals. This is the dynamics that has played in all major conflict involving army personnel meddling in the affairs of the people; from the talibans to ISIS to boko haram down to militancy... It all involved the army troops being where they are not supposed to be.

Nigerdeltaboi:
ignorance ! i am in the system and knows what entails ,better informed than you my friend ,most of you need to remove the speck of politics off your eyes first. The military will always play a vital role in our region.
Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by Vero2sleek(f): 10:23am On Sep 08, 2016
It is easy to call them criminals. Well their kind of criminality was ordained and groomed by the Nigerian FG, each adding its own dimension into them. Today their time has come. Their methods are the only way to get the attn of the government, and I support their fight for the betterment of their people; it is a beautiful struggle.
Nigerdeltaboi:
young lady you are incoherent , does your sentimental outburst lie in turn to the title of the op post or mine .I am not against Agitation,you cant even be a better agitator than me madame .what i am against is criminality . abeg for your nairaland life never you call me names or else i go treat your Bleep up BIGTIME angry
Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by LordCzar202: 9:44pm On Jan 31, 2017
I said this and my stand still remains.
Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by Adminisher: 9:59pm On Jan 31, 2017
Niger Delta people are just heaping curses on themselves. Look for work. Hardwork is the answer. They are lying to you about resource control. The only resource people have is in between their ears.

1 Like

Re: The Army Is Not Needed In The Niger-delta. They Should Go Back To The Baracks by PossieSlayer: 5:59pm On May 17, 2017
sad Army is needed oh... boys are not smiling here

(1) (Reply)

Femi Fani-kayode Exposes How Nigerian Leaders Sacrifice Citizens To Their Occult / Igbos Are Not Native To River State And South South / #ondodecides: People Chasing Away APC Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.