Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,005 members, 7,821,522 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? (8401 Views)

What The Car You Drive Says About You / The Reason Why You Must Go Round Your Car Before You Drive Off / 12 Phrases You Wil NEVER Get Unless You Learnt How To Drive In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by creepsyme(f): 7:15am On Sep 07, 2016
Untainted007:
Driving in Lagos city and its metropolis in the midst of commercial drivers popularly known as 'danfo drivers', the amatuer private car owners tagged as 'I can drive myself' and the tricycle also known as 'Napep' is not an easy task as people in other cities in Nigeria have always give kudos to Lagos drivers, some even vowed that they can never reside in Lagos not to talk of driving on Lagos routes. I had a thought about it this morning while driving down to the office if people can actually drive in Lagos without using their vehicle's horn in a day, month or even drive a car without any horn at all. Even with your horn, 'danfo drivers' never care to look at if you are coming or not.

I gave it a try at a time when I had little accident with my front bumper leading to damage of my horn, I could not bear it beyond 24hours, because it made me to be so at alert, and be thinking every commercial buses is going to hit me due to their unchallant attitudes while driving. Here comes the question if any body can boast of driving in Lagos busy cities like Mushin, Iyana Oworo, Ketu-Ojota, Ajah axis, Ojodu berger (Beneath the bridge), Agege - Pen Cinema, Orile etc without using the horn for a week at least or a month?
is it only cars imported to laagos (nigeria) that have horns? And can one drive anywhere without using horn for a month? just asking?
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by maggilove(f): 7:17am On Sep 07, 2016
It can't happen, how u wan do am?
Okay if u really want to give it a trial make sure you have enough savings to visit the panel beater at the end of everything.

3 Likes

Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by 9jatatafo(m): 7:17am On Sep 07, 2016
Possible only when danfo drivers are out of the roads and we have a mad man controlling traffic because it is only when an insane man controls traffic in Lagos is when sanity is restored.
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by gantic: 7:27am On Sep 07, 2016
jukeblam:
I used to think it was impossible but it's quite possible; I drive for weeks without honking.

It takes extra patience/tolerance though; plus person with right of way oo, plus the one wey no get right of way oo...you just give them space to prevent any fender bender- or worse. Like the op said, you just stay a lot more alert, cos these Lagos drivers are maniacs.

Its a mindset....I use the horn exceptionally. I can go months without using it. Key words are patience and tolerance.
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by Exponental(m): 7:29am On Sep 07, 2016
Blaring horn indiscriminately..... YES Blaring Horn when necessary..... NO. . . Not just Lagos, everywhere!
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by nams77: 7:29am On Sep 07, 2016
In warri I drove for over a year without a horn but to try that in Lagos would be high B.P inducing. I don't even know if I can drive in Lagos
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by critic9ja: 7:40am On Sep 07, 2016
Just remove your own simple.
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by Freksy(m): 7:41am On Sep 07, 2016
Use of horn in Nigeria is more of habit than condition of the road or city.
Even when the road is free of traffic (human, animal or other users), we still use horn.

The most painful is when there is a logjam of vehicles and movement is impossible, a Nija driver will engage his horn so as your vehicle will suddenly & mysteriously develop wings and fly off his front.

We need more patience & use of Common Sense!

1 Like

Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by otimothy(m): 7:41am On Sep 07, 2016
SultanOfBrunei:
a month? not possible, even inside compound,
i use horn to call my neighbor who parks behind me to move his car,
then use horn to signal the gateman, after he open the gate i blow another horn as he waves me goodbye,
another double horn to greet oga John, a nearby shopkeeper who gives me items on credit when salary is delayed wink

Bros you no serious o,I do all except the oga john cos my own go ask me how far bros

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by leighcon(m): 7:41am On Sep 07, 2016
Maybe a month is being overly ambitious, but I know I can do a whole day without needing to honk, except for probably alerting the security at my gate and of course this must be a very light tap.

Let me say that it is not your use of horn that will prevent people from hitting your vehicle, rather, it is a patient driving habit. For a starter, never feel your ego has been bruised whenever another vehicle switches lane to get in front of you like one smart driver. Let him or her go get an award at home for outsmarting drivers on the road.

Never see pedestrians as hindrances on the road, one day you will be a pedestrian too, if it is in the dark flash your headlamps, in the day, you can do light taps.

Lastly, know the rules of driving and what the signs mean.

Shikena!

2 Likes

Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by otimothy(m): 7:42am On Sep 07, 2016
Its not possible joor,if you have my colleague type that would even blare the horn for you if you choose not to.
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by Nobody: 7:48am On Sep 07, 2016
otimothy:
Bros you no serious o,I do all except the oga john cos my own go ask me how far bros

grin grin
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by wiloy2k8(m): 8:03am On Sep 07, 2016
SultanOfBrunei:
a month? not possible, even inside compound,
i use horn to call my neighbor who parks behind me to move his car,
then use horn to signal the gateman, after he open the gate i blow another horn as he waves me goodbye,
another double horn to greet oga John, a nearby shopkeeper who gives me items on credit when salary is delayed wink

Same here bro . I greet every1 like that . pa pa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by airsaylongcon: 8:04am On Sep 07, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
it's a bad driving habit to blare horns indiscriminately, one of the reasons we fail driving tests outside the country. Unfortunately Lagos is not a normal society, a lot of impatient drivers, it is possible to drive without blaring horns only when the horn is not functional in lagos

This is my condition for the past 3 or 4 months now o. Lol! Horn has been dysfunctional and I really can't be bothered to fix it. Yet.
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by Untainted007: 8:10am On Sep 07, 2016
creepsyme:
is it only cars imported to laagos (nigeria) that have horns? And can one drive anywhere without using horn for a month? just asking?

All vehicles have horn defaultly fixed on them, but the usage has been seriously abused in Nigeria. Its an offence using your horn for no reason in the US. It cause public nuissance to the people around. But in Nigeria anything goes.
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by IhateYorubafool: 8:17am On Sep 07, 2016
kabukabu:
No need for horn overseas, been years since I used mine.
But side note the worst drivers in the US are usually immigrants
Asians, Mexicans, Indians, and yes some Africans

Just shut up
Go to Idaho, Alaska, Kentucky where there are less immigrants, you will know you're a big fool

Enough of i live in the U.S, that shiit is old.
Na only you live for America ??
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by creepsyme(f): 8:20am On Sep 07, 2016
Untainted007:

All vehicles have horn defaultly fixed on them, but the usage has been seriously abused in Nigeria. Its an offence using your horn for now reason in the US. It cause public nuissance to the people around. But in Nigeria anything goes.
noted.
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by ericmor: 8:22am On Sep 07, 2016
For over a Yr now, my car horn has not been working but been driving around Lagos and even travel with it to Ogun state. Patience is all u need

1 Like

Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by addicted268(f): 8:59am On Sep 07, 2016
No I can't. Because I ll get frustrated if I try ham or they ll hit my car.
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by ojun50(m): 9:14am On Sep 07, 2016
I hv done that for 6 month
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by iamkingzlee(m): 9:14am On Sep 07, 2016
Hell no! It's never possible. With semi deranged people on the road?
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by hefelove(m): 9:43am On Sep 07, 2016
Even me wey no sabi drive sef wen am frustrated I go just put my head outside dey shout dey abuse, it's never possible not to use horn for this Lagos especially for traffic

1 Like

Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by hefelove(m): 9:44am On Sep 07, 2016
ericmor:
For over a Yr now, my car horn has not been working but been driving around Lagos and even travel with it to Ogun state. Patience is all u need
am sure u have insulted several drivers while driving
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by lobiologs(m): 9:56am On Sep 07, 2016
Driving without horn Ke, me that I can't shout. Mehn I'm so good with the horn that I can use it to curse sef... I can't!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by clemz85(m): 10:04am On Sep 07, 2016
I did it portharcourt for three months as a transporter, I didn't encounter any problem, but my passenger were always uncomfortable, they thought I was a psycho,

1 Like

Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by clemz85(m): 10:05am On Sep 07, 2016
I did it portharcourt for three months as a transporter, I didn't encounter any problem because my horn was bad, but my passenger were always uncomfortable, they thought I was a psycho,
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by clemz85(m): 10:13am On Sep 07, 2016
edlion57:
Haba...see question.. Ur next question will b can u drive in lagos without a brake...

Even that is possible too,
Though in the city portharcourt, I have driven without break for a day, I have driven a mile and kilometers with only reverse gear when my auto drive fail.
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by sodson11(m): 10:14am On Sep 07, 2016
Lagos celebrate no horn day every year and the horn rate on the streets actually reduce on that day.

And there is enough awareness too.
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by ericmor: 10:20am On Sep 07, 2016
hefelove:

am sure u have insulted several drivers while driving

What for? Sorry to disappoint u sha
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by dapiluv: 10:35am On Sep 07, 2016
Not in this present recession in nigeria.
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by ifeoluwasegun(m): 11:24am On Sep 07, 2016
Absolutely Impossible!

Even BRTs wey get dedicated lanes still dey hoot horns like trains.
Re: Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? by Ikem11(m): 11:45am On Sep 07, 2016
diportivo:

True talk bros

Cos even with all the horn sef,some of us still shout grin
lol u right u see someone blowing horn still shouting''will you get out of the road''

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? / Choose Btw Toyota Highlander And Honda Accord / Nigerian, Austrian Firms To Make Vehicles Run On Gas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.