Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

Value Addition For Agric Produce - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Value Addition For Agric Produce (938 Views)

UK Rejects Consignment Of Agric Produce From Nigeria / Export Readiness: Cocoa Processing And Value Addition / Rabbit Farming And Value Addition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Value Addition For Agric Produce by Curiouscity(m): 12:02pm On Sep 06, 2016
My people, I am happy the way many of us the youths are taking interest in farming. Many of us on this forum are into different crops and animals, and are successful. It is heart warming! !

Despite these successes, we can do better. Many of us have had to sell at very poor prices, even suffer lost due to glut or over supply of the crops or produce. Value addition or processing can increase market value, increase shelf life, and even make our products go beyond the region of production. Example, while fresh catfish from Lagos can hardly reach Abuja except via cool room, dried catfish will reach beyond the shores of naija and last longer.

We have harvest season for most of our crops, what value can we add to these produce in our small way to prolong their shelf life? Crops like tomato, corn (fresh), cucumbers, bananas, plantain, animal products like milk and many others. Every one of us cannot be farmers, some may be at the value addition end. Can we suggest any ideas of processing any of our farm produce to add value?

I am no expert, it is a general thread for everyone to contribute!!
Re: Value Addition For Agric Produce by bokomo(f): 3:47pm On Jul 11, 2017
Nobody seems interesting in this thread. this is a nice thread, wish we can rob minds together .
Re: Value Addition For Agric Produce by Curiouscity(m): 6:21pm On Aug 13, 2017
bokomo:
Nobody seems interesting in this thread. this is a nice thread, wish we can rob minds together .

I wish we can bring out ideas that can help us grow.

I am presently looking at canning some of our vegetables and fruits. Have ordered a small canning machine for test production and experimentation. I won't rest till I get a product on the shelf.
Re: Value Addition For Agric Produce by VERDA: 7:00pm On Aug 13, 2017
Curiouscity:

I wish we can bring out ideas that can help us grow.

I am presently looking at canning some of our vegetables and fruits. Have ordered a small canning machine for test production and experimentation. I won't rest till I get a product on the shelf.

Great idea, processing is always better cos you get more value for your product, but it's important to have specific products to start with, where are you located?

(1) (Reply)

200 Tons Of Soyabeans Available / Cocoa Farming Feasibility Study Information / Farm Manager Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.