Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

How Do I Seek Redress For A Medical Blunder - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Do I Seek Redress For A Medical Blunder (915 Views)

Hepatitis B; From A Medical Laboratory Scientist Perspective / An Urgent Call For An Intervention To Redress Aberrations In Health Service / NOIPolls: 88% Of Nigerian Doctors Seek Job Opportunities Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Seek Redress For A Medical Blunder by eenai(m): 9:29am On Sep 07, 2016
Guys in the house, please how do I seek redress for a medical blunder. my wife took I'll one night and before morning the illness became serious. I rushed her to a private hospital and the doctor told us that she has an ectopic pregnancy and she needs to undergo an emergency surgery to save her life. They took blood samples for test and asked me to donate blood which I did. They did not do any scan. In that helpless and urgent situation I did not think of a scan. Now my wife has serious complication from that surgery, I have taken her to FMC where she is receiving treatment now. The doctors in FMC told me that there is an intestine obstruction and that the doctors in the private hospital shouldn't have carried out any surgery on her without a scan. Please how do I seek redress.
Re: How Do I Seek Redress For A Medical Blunder by Redoil: 9:37am On Sep 07, 2016
Ask the doctor at the fmc if without the surgery whether ur wife might survive the complication b4 day break. I will suggest you bring it to the notice of the doctor.
Re: How Do I Seek Redress For A Medical Blunder by Paulpaulpaul(m): 9:39am On Sep 07, 2016
This may sound stupid but then there is always sense in nonsense. Concentrate on your wife and help her healing process and be happy she is back.

What if the same thing happened with scan?
What if it happened at FMC?

No sane doctor want to kill, he wanted to help in desperation.
Re: How Do I Seek Redress For A Medical Blunder by thesicilian: 9:48am On Sep 07, 2016
Get a lawyer if you think you have a case. I doubt any doctor would diagnose and do surgery for an ectopic pregnancy without an abdominal ultrasound scan. But even if that were true, then her condition may have been so serious and maybe they didn't have a scan machine.
I'm sure they somehow managed to save your wife's life at the end, notwithstanding the complications.
Re: How Do I Seek Redress For A Medical Blunder by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 08, 2016
Paulpaulpaul:
This may sound stupid but then there is always sense in nonsense. Concentrate on your wife and help her healing process and be happy she is back.

What if the same thing happened with scan?
What if it happened at FMC?

No sane doctor want to kill, he wanted to help in desperation.
lol at your siggy
Re: How Do I Seek Redress For A Medical Blunder by Paulpaulpaul(m): 7:48pm On Sep 08, 2016
HateU2:
lol at your siggy
grin
HateU2:
lol at your siggy
Re: How Do I Seek Redress For A Medical Blunder by eyinjuege: 9:17pm On Sep 08, 2016
eenai,

Pls when your wife was taken into the theatre, and opened up was it truly not an ectopic?

Or did they not see anything when she was opened up?

Did she have a positive pregnancy test or not? Or was one not done?

Pls I would appreciate it if you could answer the above questions....
Re: How Do I Seek Redress For A Medical Blunder by eyinjuege: 9:37pm On Sep 08, 2016
thesicilian:
Get a lawyer if you think you have a case. I doubt any doctor would diagnose and do surgery for an ectopic pregnancy without an abdominal ultrasound scan. But even if that were true, then her condition may have been so serious and maybe they didn't have a scan machine.
I'm sure they somehow managed to save your wife's life at the end, notwithstanding the complications.

Drs do open up and do surgeries without scans in an emergency. A ruptured ectopic isn't something to joke with. A young woman, brought in with clinical signs of shock, delayed period, plus or minus abdominal pain, or shoulder tip pain, positive PT is a ruptured ectopic until proven otherwise.
A flow tap is open and running free flow in that woman's abdomen and it's blood.
You can do a peritoneal tap, and check if it clots or not, but trying to send for a scan in the face of a suspicious rupture in Naija?
That patient will probably die before you enter the theatre.
Don't forget she's being at home all night when she started feeling ill before taken to the hospital the ff morning. She may prolly have been bleeding into her abdomen all night.
Its better you open up and find out it's not an ectopic than to delay.
You can call it an exploratory laparotomy if you so wish, since you're not sure of what you'll find in the abdomen but it's not out of place.
Even the regular old school abdominal scan machines available in Naija are useless atimes in picking up ectopics save for a transvaginal.
So if you do an abdominal scan, and it doesn't pick up an ectopic belle still doesn't mean it's not one. The uterus will be empty, but provided you blood pt is positive you go in if the patient is symptomatic.
If patient is stable, you can send for a transvaginal scan. If not stable, na to open up sure pass.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Seek Redress For A Medical Blunder by FameG(f): 12:38am On Sep 09, 2016
eyinjuege:

Drs do open up and do surgeries without scans in an emergency. A ruptured ectopic isn't something to joke with. A young woman, brought in with clinical signs of shock, delayed period, plus or minus abdominal pain, or shoulder tip pain, positive PT is a ruptured ectopic until proven otherwise.
A flow tap is open and running free flow in that woman's abdomen and it's blood.
You can do a peritoneal tap, and check if it clots or not, but trying to send for a scan in the face of a suspicious rupture in Naija?
Don't forget she's being at home all night when she started feeling ill before taken to the hospital the ff morning. She may prolly have been bleeding into her abdomen all night.
You can call it an exploratory laparotomy if you so wish, since you're not sure of what you'll find in the abdomen but it's not out of place.
Even the regular old school abdominal scan machines available in Naija are useless atimes in picking up ectopics save for a transvaginal.
So if you do an abdominal scan, and it doesn't pick up an ectopic belle still doesn't mean it's not one. The uterus will be empty, but provided you blood pt is positive you go in if the patient is symptomatic.
If patient is stable, you can send for a transvaginal scan. If not stable, na to open up sure pass.

Thank u. you saved me from typing this long. A negative exlap is better than a missed ectopic diagnosis. Though this cant really justify why the woman is down with an intestinal obstruction . Just do evertin that would make your wife well.
Re: How Do I Seek Redress For A Medical Blunder by eyinjuege: 6:19am On Sep 09, 2016
FameG:

Thank u. you saved me from typing this long. A negative exlap is better than a missed ectopic diagnosis. Though this cant really justify why the woman is down with an intestinal obstruction . Just do evertin that would make your wife well.

Na so o.
Too many women have died from ectopic when it ruptures.... So I believe time is of the essence.
There's always that delay that happens, and they're only rushed in when they're almost gone. Many Naija women don't even know what it is, so won't even think it might be it when they start having pains.
The issue of intestinal obstruction is not even out of place ff abdominal surgeries. Not that common, but it's a long term complication that can happen after a couple of weeks or months. But certainly not because they didn't do an abdominal scan to confirm ectopic..

But, who knows what might have happened? I wasn't there so wouldn't make excuses for anybody.

eenai, you may write to the medical and dental Council if you feel you've been mismanaged. They will investigate and let you know their findings I guess. It's a long process,, but it'll be done. You may get a lawyer to advice you.
Re: How Do I Seek Redress For A Medical Blunder by thesicilian: 10:30pm On Sep 09, 2016
eyinjuege:

I like your detailed analysis. Kudos.
Maybe the difference here will be the settings, time and materials at the doctor's disposal. I have a portable ultrasound scanning machine in my emergency room (in addition to some other toys), and usually by the time the emergency blood work (PCV, Serum PT, etc) are ready, i have commenced my stabilizations and done my scan, abdominal tap et al. Rarely will i rush into the theatre without the basics, especially with the advent of semi- & uninformed patients and their relatives who will rather prefer to smear your name and your good works, while ignoring your selfless sacrifices and instead choosing to dwell on complications that may have arisen as a result of their own delays in presenting for treatment.
Re: How Do I Seek Redress For A Medical Blunder by eyinjuege: 10:38pm On Sep 09, 2016
thesicilian:

I like your detailed analysis. Kudos.
Maybe the difference here will be the settings, time and materials at the doctor's disposal. I have a portable ultrasound scanning machine in my emergency room (in addition to some other toys), and usually by the time the emergency blood work (PCV, Serum PT, etc) are ready, i have commenced my stabilizations and done my scan, abdominal tap et al. Rarely will i rush into the theatre without the basics, especially with the advent of semi- & uninformed patients and their relatives who will rather prefer to smear your name and your good works, while ignoring your selfless sacrifices and instead choosing to dwell on complications that may have arisen as a result of their own delays in presenting for treatment.

Thanks

Portable or mobile scans are in very few hospitals, and not in any general hospital I know. No one cares, unfortunately. You don't even have proper crash carts in quite a number of hospitals. Sad... cry

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Seek Redress For A Medical Blunder by eenai(m): 2:58am On Sep 10, 2016
eyinjuege:
eenai,

Pls when your wife was taken into the theatre, and opened up was it truly not an ectopic?

Or did they not see anything when she was opened up?

Did she have a positive pregnancy test or not? Or was one not done?

Pls I would appreciate it if you could answer the above questions....

Thank you eyinjuege. The pregnancy test was positive. The doctor did not sound convincing after I asked him about his findings. He told me he removed something and that 'something' has been taken to the lab for test. so right now am waiting to get the result of the test.
Re: How Do I Seek Redress For A Medical Blunder by Lexusgs430: 4:43am On Sep 10, 2016
eenai:

Thank you eyinjuege. The pregnancy test was positive. The doctor did not sound convincing after I asked him about his findings. He told me he removed something and that 'something' has been taken to the lab for test. so right now am waiting to get the result of the test.

Have you requested for her medical files?

(1) (Reply)

Some Natural Solutions To Sleep Disorders / Swissgarde Supplement Networking / Menstral Wahala Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.