Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,598 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand (27661 Views)

See Abuja Rail Train Fares / Amaechi Inspects Lagos-Ibadan Rail Line, Promises Delivery By Year End (Photos) / Abuja Rail Mass Transit Is 90% Complete (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by GoggleB(m): 6:51am On Sep 08, 2016
Amidst the excitement and ecstasy of the light rail system launched formally on Tuesday 26 July at the Idu train station lies a haphazard project that can be improved with the right legislation and implementation from the National Assembly.

The recent commissioning of the much talked about Abuja-Kaduna rail line by President Muhammadu Buhari, with his pictures riding on first class cabin, took the internet by storm, thereby arousing my journalistic instincts.
There is no doubt, of course, it was a promise kept. With the official handover to the Nigerian Railway Corporation for commercial activities, a younger generation of Nigerians, frequent travelers as well as businessmen and women who may want to travel in a relaxed and friendly manner at a cost effective rate given the mouth-watering offer of N900 for executive coach, N600 for second class and N500 for economy fares can now smile. But this smile can be short-lived if further legislative input is not taken.

Cynthia's unsavory experience

After the one-month free test rides which witnessed a high level of enthusiasm by commuters ended, I was already itching to savor the experience by parting with my hard earned money for the rail way trip.
At 1:20 p.m. on August 25th, in the company of two friends, I hurried off to Kubwa to catch the 2 p.m. train.
I arrived at 1:40 p.m. and quickly purchased my train ticket at the rate of 600 naira, in the absence of another class of tickets. The train station was so beautiful but lacked coordination. The security apparatus, both human and material resources. was unsatisfactory.
Two security personnel were seen checking luggage on a small bench with a scanner. I nearly screamed. Thanks to Buhari, who has kept those Boko boys in check.
The waiting area was filled with passengers waiting to board I was told that the train leaves at 2:30 p.m., while waiting I decided to look around, ask questions and take pictures.
I was still filled with excitement and eagerness to board a train for the first time in Nigeria; yes actually it was my first time ever!
After much dilly dally, the time finally comes, squeezing myself into what seemed like a line, our tickets were checked by a man who looked like a passenger. He did not seem different from many of us - no uniform or regalia.
We were directed to form four lines for the different compartments and we began to file in.
In another few minutes the journey began, smooth and calm, announcement were made on the various stops: Asham, Rigere, and the final destination, Rigasa. Ten minutes into the trip, someone who appeared to be the train assistant came to the seats to ask for our tickets and perforated them.

The only group who distinguished themselves were the cleaners who were seen dressed in orange customized shirts moving around at intervals.
Soon it was 04:45 p.m. it did not feel like it. We arrived at Rigasa, in Kaduna, shortly thereafter.
I quickly bought my return ticket, walked around the station, took some more pictures and questioned the security officials on the train schedules. At 10 minutes to 6 p.m., the train was ready to board to head back to Abuja. Everyone rushed in and I managed to get a middle seat with a table and sockets. My friend and I played Monopoly, and within two hours, we were back in Abuja.

Cynthia's take

Amidst the excitement and ecstasy of the light rail system launched formally on Tuesday 26 July at the Idu train station lies a haphazard project that can be improved with the right legislation and implementation from the National Assembly.
In less than one month of commissioning, the electronic information board no longer functions, there is no proper security mechanism, and there is a severe lack of coordination and poor management of staff and passengers.
The Nigeria Railway Corporation Act of 1955 has existed for 6 decades!!! This act has not been amended until the 8th Assembly under the leadership of Bukola Saraki, who did the needful by amending and passing the bill for a third reading on 21 July 2016.
A technical committee made up of stakeholders with legal and technical expertise was set up by the senate leadership and Committee on Land Transportation. This bill of high priority was changed to the National Railway Bill 2016 due to far-reaching recommended changes.
The obsolete model act of 1955 was adorned with restrictions and rigidity to innovation investments, and private sector management making the regulator the operator.
Some of the major amendments that the new bill will achieve include providing a legislative framework to stamp out all impediments that hindered the attainment of an effective railway system over past years and allow private sector, local and foreign investors.
It will also open doors for rapid deployment of rail systems across the nation and competitive and effective service delivery to Nigerians. This achievement by the 8th senate should be replicated in due time by the house of representative for onward executive assent in the interest of Nigeria and its economy.
Only then can Nigerians truly jubilate at the milestones of the railway industry. The regulator in this sector cannot remain the operator. We have to get it right.
President Buhari should not hesitate to sign the bill immediately when it lands on his table. Only then will Nigerians say, “Bravo!’’
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we catch excellence." - Vince Lombardi.

http://saharareporters.com/2016/09/07/abuja-rail-line-experience-don%E2%80%99t-applaud-yet-cynthia-ferdinand

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by GoggleB(m): 6:52am On Sep 08, 2016
More pictures

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by slimthugchimee(m): 6:53am On Sep 08, 2016
i knew one stupid critic will carry the problem to come again, nigerians, you no fit satisfy them

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by GoggleB(m): 7:07am On Sep 08, 2016
slimthugchimee:
i knew one stupid critic will carry the problem to come again, nigerians, you no fit satisfy them

Just her take about the issue nothing personal.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by Benjom(m): 7:28am On Sep 08, 2016
Thanks for the information OP. Hope the right authority see this and put things right. It's too early to start noticing cracks in this laudable project.

Need the best CV Writer? Get job invites effortlessly. Check-out some samples and testimonials:

www..com/cv-samples/

www..testimonials/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by Deepfreezer(m): 7:28am On Sep 08, 2016
Hmmmn.
Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by Benjom(m): 7:31am On Sep 08, 2016
slimthugchimee:

Your rant is unnecessary. She's entitled to her opinion... and a constructive one at that.

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by GoggleB(m): 10:05am On Sep 08, 2016
Benjom:
Thanks for the information OP. Hope the right authority see this and put things right. It's too early to start noticing cracks in this laudable project.

Exactly irrelevant topics now makes FP

5 Likes

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by Flexherbal(m): 11:54am On Sep 08, 2016
Her opinion!
Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by Kizyte(m): 11:56am On Sep 08, 2016
I knew it!

1 Like

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by obailala(m): 11:57am On Sep 08, 2016
From the very first day these trains were launched, I already said it that the greatest recipe for disaster was for the government (NRC or whatever) to be responsible for operating the trains instead of the private sector.

These trains could be a revenue generator for the government (as is the case globally), but I don't need onatisi or any other soothsayer to tell me the new trains would be another overbearing public liability draining government resources on a yearly basis. I give it only a couple of years (even before 2019), the trains would be killed by poor maintenance and the entire rail system would be buried by inept management.

Nothing managed by government ever works in Nigeria, it is not an insult, it is just a fact, and if these trains and the rail system must survive, they should be concessioned 100% to private companies who can run them at a profit and pay appropriate taxes to government. The only sector which seems to be working effectively in the country are the petroleum sector (operated mainly by foreign multinationals and indigenous private firms) and the telecommunications sector (also managed by private profit oriented investors).

The first error which highlighted the impending doom for these new trains was the FG fixing fares and playing politics with it. This may sound strange and silly to many but a fare of N900/N600/N500 is extremely cheap for high speed comfortable air-conditioned trains by world standards. Except the government plans to run the trains as a non-profit subsidised charity, the present model where a minister for transport just arbitrarily fixes fares (after a political meeting) is completely disastrous. In the UK for instance, high speed train transport is even cheaper than flying, and all trains are run by private corporations. Nigeria should have already learnt enough lessons from Nigeria airways to NITEL to NEPA to NPA etc. I pray the government receives sense!

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by Ekeeyhandsome(m): 11:57am On Sep 08, 2016
Someone with a large heart should plz kindly summarize.. grin grin
Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by dannytoe(m): 11:58am On Sep 08, 2016
PMB only good at commissioning Gej's project.....

1 Like

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by soberdrunk(m): 12:00pm On Sep 08, 2016
Aunty calm down! Rome wasnt built in a day.....
Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by Olukat(m): 12:00pm On Sep 08, 2016
One thing Nigerians must bear with this regime is "Dysfunctional"
They can never put anything together for the benefit of the people.
Pls relax...you know what to do in 2019
Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by timunstopable: 12:01pm On Sep 08, 2016
From the pictures you took cynthia I can not see the dis-organisation you were talking about

All I can see is you smiling in neat coaches

even the pictures you took at the departure.I cant see the crowd congestion you talked about and chaos.looked scanty and quiet

Can't see pictures of the electronic information board you said isnt working

Something wrong hope you are not being mischievous

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by Lexusgs430: 12:03pm On Sep 08, 2016
Well written and constructed first hand experience. How can the thief be the judge, the police, the prison and the enforcer?
More still needs to be done..........

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by 989900: 12:06pm On Sep 08, 2016
Quite balanced piece; don't know why some are passing negative comments though.

4 Likes

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by Nobody: 12:08pm On Sep 08, 2016
Hnmmm , baby steps. Everything good would come
Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by FunkyMetahuman: 12:08pm On Sep 08, 2016
your problem is mostly with the staffs

not the trains ..

government workers have always been the most nonchalant and laziest set of workers all over the world.

7 Likes

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by kniru: 12:09pm On Sep 08, 2016
mtcheew....Who Send U?!
Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by ephi123(f): 12:11pm On Sep 08, 2016
Well done OP.
This is not about "commissioning" the rail project and moving on, attention needs to be paid to the day-to-day running as well.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by kinibigdeal(m): 12:13pm On Sep 08, 2016
There is nothing special about trains. When i was living around sango, i use to board a train at Ijoko where you see picture climbing ontop because of limited space. I just hope the new modern comes with some new improvement
Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by Nobody: 12:20pm On Sep 08, 2016
Very useful observation.

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by Misterdhee1(m): 12:20pm On Sep 08, 2016
What is the point the Op is trying to draw out please? We all know Government workers here in Nigeria are one of the least organized in the world. The railway project is an applaudable system that needs to be maintained and supported so it can spread across the country. We need to criticize objectively and needfully, not playing to the gallery for whatever sakes.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by anonimi: 12:23pm On Sep 08, 2016
Firefire:
APC again ? Destroying everything in sight. embarassed

:In less than one month of commissioning, the electronic information board no longer functions, there is no proper security mechanism, and there is a severe lack of coordination and poor management of staff and passengers."

Na their way be that.
All ProgreTHIEF Criminals, APC party led by the confused Dullard from Daura.
Anything inherited na to mess am up.
Where are the zombies who packaged and sold this FAILURE to us?

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by TheRealestGuy(m): 12:24pm On Sep 08, 2016
flokii:
IPOD yoot undecided

Which one ur hero complete.. yeye
Stupidity is like peak...

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Rail Line Experience: Don’t Applaud Yet By Cynthia Ferdinand by anonimi: 12:27pm On Sep 08, 2016
FunkyMetahuman:
your problem is mostly with the staffs

not the trains ..

government workers has always been the most nonchalant and lazy workers all over the world.

If they are paid on the basis of a miserable minimum wage of N18,000 while political jobbers of the SAME government collect mega millions from us for doing nothing, then one can expect poor performance, not so

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2528508_political20catoon_jpeg388939f5abe0d6aa488640afd36eb164

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2525077_nationalassebly_jpeg71d66f931a1a7ec6df0b899a793ef6b6

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

SUV Driver Rams Into Another Car In Abuja (Photos) / Heavy Rainfall, Flood In Jibia, Katsina State, Many People Dead / Horror Motor Accident Along Kaduna-abuja Expressway (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.