Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,813 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? (957 Views)

Northerners, What Is The Plan Of The North For Nigeria? / Why Nigeria Needs Single Presidency Tenure Of Six Years – Ekweremadu / Nigeria Needs Ndigbo Now – Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by socialmediaman: 1:29pm On Sep 08, 2016
The blame game has been going on for sometime now. Every. Even states are blaming FG for their woes. We (Many Nigerians) have really heard enough about how the previous government brought us to this situation we're in today. Assuming that's completely true and this present government has no part in this mess, so what next? Whats the plan moving forward?

1. How are over 40 Million Nigerians going to get meaningful jobs within the next 3 years of the lifespan of this government?

2. Whats the plan for affordable healthcare services and health insurance for children and minors, unemployed and retired persons?

3. Whats the education plan for the millions of Nigerians without access to good education and required training for self development and inventiveness? Whats the plan for our decayed infrastructure in the education system?

4. Whats the plan for Electricity generation and distribution? Whats the actual plan? What direction are we headed, what milestones are we achieving so far?

5. Whats the plan for Communication Technology development? Do you realize we're in the Cyber age and there's a cyber race going on? Databases and Computer Technology are ruling the the world, whats the plan to ditch the papers and replace them with digital technology? Millions of job opportunities are being lost due to lack of data, lack of information, lack of business intelligence, whats going on?

Whats The Plan, Mr President?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by drss2(m): 1:35pm On Sep 08, 2016
grin
Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by freesinzu(m): 1:36pm On Sep 08, 2016
This is the biggest problem we are facing in Nigeria "LACK OF DIRECTION"
No plans nothing all we hear is lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by adedayo3193(m): 1:46pm On Sep 08, 2016
In buhari's voice : the plan is blaming the past govt administration for everything that has happened
Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by Beremx(f): 1:58pm On Sep 08, 2016
OMG!!!

Socialmediaman, we are on the same page!!
Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by Blue3k(m): 2:58pm On Sep 08, 2016
socialmediaman:

4. Whats the plan for Electricity generation and distribution? Whats the actual plan? What direction are we headed, what milestones are we achieving so far?

5. Whats the plan for Communication Technology development? Do you realize we're in the Cyber age and there's a cyber race going on? Databases and Computer Technology are ruling the the world, whats the plan to ditch the papers and replace them with digital technology? Millions of job opportunities are being lost due to lack of data, lack of information, lack of business intelligence, whats going on?

The plan it seems from what I read is to use abundant natural gas supplies to power country. The first issue is that the Nigerian Government subsidizes gas so it tries to make gas supliers sell at lower cost then the could get else where. The next issue is pipeline vandalism because Nigerian government won't allow fiscal federalism in states. The federal government also hold all land and mineral rights.

Fed gov could solve issue by simply giving land owners mineral and property right so they are given royalty rights. That would be people and states extra cash to sustain selves and federal government less responsiblity. They screwed everything up anyway with bad business policies. They are are fast tracking energy projets approval and looking towards other sources like maybe coal, solar and wind to add to mix.

We have achieved no mile stones because of set backs. The avg power received is 10hrs around nation based on 5000 mega watts. Only a fraction of out plants are operational. My proposal would be set up 3 grids. Let eastern and southern states have their own independent grid. They have enough resources to maintain it. The north can keep national grid with hydropower and get supplied gas. Western part of nation can figure out mix. The usa has 3 grids. Texas state having its own.

Lastly your digital races like industrialization can't happen without sufficient power.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by kamalcole3000: 3:25pm On Sep 08, 2016
socialmediaman:
The blame game has been going on for sometime now. Every. Even states are blaming FG for their woes. We (Many Nigerians) have really heard enough about how the previous government brought us to this situation we're in today. Assuming that's completely true and this present government has no part in this mess, so what next? Whats the plan moving forward?

1. How are over 40 Million Nigerians going to get meaningful jobs within the next 3 years of the lifespan of this government?

2. Whats the plan for affordable healthcare services and health insurance for children and minors, unemployed and retired persons?

3. Whats the education plan for the millions of Nigerians without access to good education and required training for self development and inventiveness? Whats the plan for our decayed infrastructure in the education system?

Whats The Plan, Mr President?

The Plan is.........

The truth is there is no plan
Just sit tight enjoy the the recession till something happen..

Either Nigeria restructures or Buhari gets booted out for another northern empty brain.
Till then enjoy this change,Buharis change!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by Standing5(m): 4:07pm On Sep 08, 2016
What's the plan for funding every fund-requiring plan? That should be the key question.
Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by socialmediaman: 11:18pm On Sep 08, 2016
Beremx:
OMG!!!

It's been over a year now my dear, Nigerians are not gonna eat blames or vague assurances, we knew the economy was headed this direction before this government took over, what we didn't expect was the level of unpreparedness, so disappointing.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by socialmediaman: 11:29pm On Sep 08, 2016
Blue3k:

The plan it seems from what I read is to use abundant natural gas supplies to power country. The first issue is that the Nigerian Government subsidizes gas so it tries to make gas supliers sell at lower cost then the could get else where. The next issue is pipeline vandalism because Nigerian government won't allow fiscal federalism in states. The federal government also hold all land and mineral rights.

Fed gov could solve issue by simply giving land owners mineral and property right so they are given royalty rights. That would be people and states extra cash to sustain selves and federal government less responsiblity. They screwed everything up anyway with bad business policies. They are are fast tracking energy projets approval and looking towards other sources like maybe coal, solar and wind to add to mix.

We have achieved no mile stones because of set backs. The avg power received is 10hrs around nation based on 5000 mega watts. Only a fraction of out plants are operational. My proposal would be set up 3 grids. Let eastern and southern states have their own independent grid. They have enough resources to maintain it. The north can keep national grid with hydropower and get supplied gas. Western part of nation can figure out mix. The usa has 3 grids. Texas state having its own.

Lastly your digital races like industrialization can't happen without sufficient power.

Some of these structures, like gas distribution to generating stations were even setup during the last administration, vandalism was also a problem with the last government, but how do you tackle these problems when there's no plan for reforming security agencies who protect our resources? Our policemen are still bodyguards to politicians, they lack communication equipment, not even a functioning toll-free 800 number. Does that also need electricity to function? Private companies are using solar generation units so what's the big deal about having PHCN electricity before any meaningful thing happens?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by DelGardo: 12:24am On Sep 09, 2016
It gets confusing when people who sound reasonable get a bit pedestrian. The whole of our history is littered with plans but zero or little implementation.

We get a government that has carried on with whatever they met on ground (I have not heard of any contract cancellations or revocation of licences or agreements - except with crude trading deals of Deziani and co) yet some don't see how important that is.

Recently the fed govt. announced proposals for emergency powers to turn some assets to cash and reduce red tape in contracts so they can cut down on time to implementation. It has been condemned by the backward thinkers and doomsday converts. But that sounds like a plan to me.

We can go through the budget implementation document and see tons of intent on key deliverables. Am I to assume the OP has not seen this document? That also sounds like a plan.

The point is that plans, in my view, are overrated in Nigeria. Even the ridiculously clueless IB had plans. How far?

Yet they ask. I tire.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by socialmediaman: 1:01am On Sep 09, 2016
DelGardo:
It gets confusing when people who sound reasonable get a bit pedestrian. The whole of our history is littered with plans but zero or little implementation.

We get a government that has carried on with whatever they met on ground (I have not heard of any contract cancellations or revocation of licences or agreements - except with crude trading deals of Deziani and co) yet some don't see how important that is.

Recently the fed govt. announced proposals for emergency powers to turn some assets to cash and reduce red tape in contracts so they can cut down on time to implementation. It has been condemned by the backward thinkers and doomsday converts. But that sounds like a plan to me.

We can go through the budget implementation document and see tons of intent on key deliverables. Am I to assume the OP has not seen this document? That also sounds like a plan.

The point is that plans, in my view, are overrated in Nigeria. Even the ridiculously clueless IB had plans. How far?

Yet they ask. I tire.

ok so the plan is to keep up with GEJ's projects, improve procurement process, then what? You seem to ignore the state of the economy at this point in time. The economy is in recession!!! In advanced societies, presidents even resign for leading an economy into recession. So I ask again, what's the plan?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by DelGardo: 1:38am On Sep 09, 2016
socialmediaman:

ok so the plan is to keep up with GEJ's projects, improve procurement process, then what? You seem to ignore the state of the economy at this point in time. The economy is in recession!!! In advanced societies, presidents even resign for leading an economy into recession. So I ask again, what's the plan?

The grand plan is to spend our way out of recession hence the huge budget with substantial CAPEX content. To spend you need money. To have money you need to make revenue especially FX revenue, if not you need deep reserves, which can be used to prop up local currency for imports .

To earn revenue you must have productive capacity, high productivity and acute competitiveness. To be highly productive you need infrastructure (remember the CAPEX up there?), high quality and industrious workforce with a large appetite for entrepreneurship.

To have all these lovely things you need money (again) not just a piece of paper called plan, but you find yourself in a low-revenue-and-very-weak-reserves situation so you plan to borrow (read the budget; that is the major output of the plan). So, if you are not dizzy yet, that's the plan; and we are at the point where we need loads of money.

It's a cycle. This government is trying to make the most of a very bad situation. They have shown their plans over and over with integrity to back that up. Read some!

Now let me ask you, what's your planned contribution towards greater productivity and improved FX revenue? We all have a role in this grand plan.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by Blue3k(m): 1:58am On Sep 09, 2016
socialmediaman:

how do you tackle these problems when there's no plan for reforming security agencies who protect our resources?

Our policemen are still bodyguards to politicians, they lack communication equipment, not even a functioning toll-free 800 number.

Does that also need electricity to function? Private companies are using solar generation units so what's the big deal about having PHCN electricity before any meaningful thing happens?

Police are useless they have time to set up check points and collect bribes. Then could the stand around watch pipelines with drones.

Police can set up radar systems, VPN, or something. Equipment can be bought and made by companies or colleges. They can divert power from grid to keep system working (I made post about it). Toll free number easy to set up especially for gov agency. Electricity needed because this is 2016 everything requires power.

In future we'll need power to drive industry. If solar was enough we wouldn't be talking about this.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by socialmediaman: 12:18pm On Sep 09, 2016
DelGardo:

The grand plan is to spend our way out of recession hence the huge budget with substantial CAPEX content. To spend you need money. To have money you need to make revenue especially FX revenue, if not you need deep reserves, which can be used to prop up local currency for imports .

To earn revenue you must have productive capacity, high productivity and acute competitiveness. To be highly productive you need infrastructure (remember the CAPEX up there?), high quality and industrious workforce with a large appetite for entrepreneurship.

To have all these lovely things you need money (again) not just a piece of paper called plan, but you find yourself in a low-revenue-and-very-weak-reserves situation so you plan to borrow (read the budget; that is the major output of the plan). So, if you are not dizzy yet, that's the plan; and we are at the point where we need loads of money.

It's a cycle. This government is trying to make the most of a very bad situation. They have shown their plans over and over with integrity to back that up. Read some!

Now let me ask you, what's your planned contribution towards greater productivity and improved FX revenue? We all have a role in this grand plan.

Indeed, the question came back to me; what's my planned contribution!!! Sounds like the plan to me...

Well I'm not the one who put my kids in choice positions in CBN and Other special agencies while chanting change to the rest of Nigerians. I'm not the one in charge of revamping the agric sector with technology and storage facilities to reduce waste and increase processed product export. I'm not the one who's in charge of bringing reforms to the Nigeria Customs, Police, Immigration, Justice system etc.

By the way, the documents you referred me to read, did you find any fundamental difference with those of previous governments apart from increased spending? That's really the plan? Increased spending will bring you out of recession? This is interesting!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by genearts(m): 1:01pm On Sep 09, 2016
Beremx:
OMG!!!

same here.
Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by NgeneUkwenu(f): 1:05pm On Sep 09, 2016
The Economic Turnaround I see. ~ Bucky Hassan.

I was asked why I think the government's plans will turn around Nigeria's recession: so here are a few of the factors. Please note, I expect the turnaround will take at least 12 - 18 months. There are no quick-fix solutions to the problems that have been decades in the making.

1) Security in the NE:
With the NE more secure, small businesses can return, grow and operate there. It also translates into less money spent on the security budget, money that can be spent on other projects for Nigerians. Agricultural output will increase because farmers can return to the 3 States where agriculture had ground to a virtual standstill because of the Boko Haram terrorists.

2) Focus on Agriculture.
The National Bureau of Statistics stated that agriculture grew by 4.53% in the 2nd quarter of the year (an increase from 3.1% in the first quarter), and contributed 22.5% to GDP in the period. These figures sound good on paper, but until they translate to lower food prices, they won't mean much.

Cheaper food will translate to lower inflation which will equal more money for citizens to spend on other items. I am keeping out an eye on the rice harvest to see if the harvest will be in line with projections. If it is, then just like sky high tomato prices fell, so also will rice prices. More important will be the financial foreign exchange impact if local rice can wean us off our ruinous appetite for imported rice.

3) Relationship With States:
Bailout to the states are now on business-type loan terms. To access bail-out funds, States have to show the equivalent of a business plan and how they plan to grow their IGR to make their states more self-sufficient.

Nigeria's economy would be in a better state if so many states do not owe salaries. When States owe salaries, their civil servants then owe their landlords, owe school fees, no longer patronise bukas, spend less in the market etc etc.

Imagine the multiplier effect on the restaurant owners/salons/clothes sellers/market women/landlords etc etc. They now have less money of their own to spend on goods, which leads to everyone feeling the economic pinch and unemployment growing.

4) Home Grown Feeding Program:
The nationwide school free feeding program for primary school children, scheduled to be rolled out nationwide before the end of this year, will pump billions into agriculture, catering and employment. 13 States are already piloting the programme with Osun, Kaduna and Abia - among the 13.

5) Transport Links:
The Lagos - Kano, Cross Rivers - PHC, Lagos - Ibadan; all these train lines are scheduled to be completed in 2018. Improved transport links will lower the cost of doing business, open up new markets, help property prices in arras the trains stop at, as people can commute better, create feeder businesses that serve the rash of new commuters etc etc

6) Power.
The government has finally began to invest in solar, is resurrecting work on the Mambilla dam with a capacity of 3050 MW and the Zungeru Power plant with a 700MW capacity. Both projects have the potential to almost double our existing capacity once completed. Fashola is exploring every avenue of squeezing out MW's etc.

Improved power will mean our manufacturing industries can come alive again. Many businesses are currently spending an average of 40% or more of their operating costs on generators and diesel. Thid is not sustainable.

7) Youth Unemployment:
The N-Power programme expected to provide training and employment for up to 600,000 young Nigerians annually will begin making a dent (small but relevant) in our unacceptably high youth unemployment rate.

The 7 factors listed above have the potential to kickstart hope, add real value to the economy, and generate employment; real employment, not just figures on paper.

These are just a few of the actions already underway that I expect to change the country structurally. Structural long lasting change and not just the short-term sticking plaster solutions that Nigeria has delighted in providing for decades.

As a citizen, you can bet that I'll be keeping my eye on the above to ensure Govt delivers on them. And will call em out if there is slacking!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by socialmediaman: 10:56pm On Sep 09, 2016
Cc: lalasticlala, mynd44, seun
Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by vivalavida(m): 11:15pm On Sep 09, 2016
socialmediaman:

It's been over a year now my dear, Nigerians are not gonna eat blames or vague assurances, we knew the economy was headed this direction before this government took over, what we didn't expect was the level of unpreparedness, so disappointing.

Beremx
Keneking
And now socialmediaman.

I now believe there is something called salvation
Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by thunderrider: 11:36pm On Sep 09, 2016
Have you blamed Jonathan today?
Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by fitzmayowa: 1:10am On Sep 10, 2016
socialmediaman too don join... shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria Needs Plans, Not Vague Assurances, Blames. Whats The Plan, Mr President? by ishiamu(m): 8:40am On Sep 10, 2016
Buhari is a dullard and a terrorist of conscience cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Buhari To Attend Annual United Nations General Assembly / Relocate To Buhari’s Home State Katsina, Nwoko Tells Rev. Fr Ejike Mbaka / Aso Rock ‘demons’ Behind Buhari’s ‘wife-belongs-in Kitchen’ Gaffe – Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.